IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags putin , russia , Russia-Ukraine war , ukraine , Zelensky

Closed Thread
Old 1st October 2022, 11:21 AM   #2481
Doubt
Philosopher

[img] http://www.internationalskeptics.com...p?albumid=1458
[/img]

After the tremendous success against terrorists in Lyman, Putin appoints new general in charge of the reverse offensive in Ukraine.

ETA: jimbob fixing image tag

Last edited by jimbob; 1st October 2022 at 01:06 PM.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:22 AM   #2482
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, it will only count as a counter offensive when Ukraine's pre 2014 borders are restored and it must all be by force and without any Russian retreats, otherwise it's just Ukraine stumbling into a cunningly laid Russian trap.
Something something steppes, right?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:23 AM   #2483
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
One of the nice young men who gave a speech at Nuremburg Red Square the other day was Ivan Okhlobystin, formerly an actor.

He gave a nice speech calling for a Holy War.

Here he is making a Nazi salute.

Here's the time he called for gay people to be burned in gas chambers.

But by all means, let's keep insisting that the Ukrainians are the Nazis here, what with their Jewish President and tolerance for gay and transgender people.
So...like...why would you burn someone in a gas chamber?
Old 1st October 2022, 11:25 AM   #2484
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Brain damage?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:26 AM   #2485
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Another Perun video is out, this time on Russian conscription. Informative as always.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 11:45 AM   #2486
Doubt
Philosopher

Time for a guess at future actions.

Several analysts have pointed out that the push in the North will eventually create a budge in the Ukraine line that will be vulnerable to an attack. But if they keep pushing they could turn a flank on the hardened Russian positions to the south. If Ukraine can keep the pressure on, it might be worth the risk. If they cannot then they are setting themselves up to get hit again in the Spring.

If they decide not to take the risk, them maybe stopping at the Zherebets river might make sense for the winter.

If they really want to make Russia panic, move some of those troops south and put pressure on Tokmak. Capture Tokmak and there is only one good highway to move supplies west and it is within range of HIMARS launchers at that point. It would make the push on Kherson a lot easier. Possibly end up cutting off that whole western occupied area.

Of course there are a lot of unknowns here. So this is a guess. But that have to be looking at it on the map.
Old 1st October 2022, 12:01 PM   #2487
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Being vulnerable to a flank attack requires an enemy force of sufficient strength to threaten the flank. I don't think the Russians have that many forces maneuvering in the theater. I expect a lot of the effort right now is sweeping the liberated regions to make sure there's not a BTG hiding out somewhere, well supplied and unaccounted for. Then the Ukrainians just need to throw out skirmish lines to either side of their main thrust when they pivot.

But now I'm thinking about an idea that occurred to me in the pipeline thread: Russian incompetence is one of our major allies in this war. Similar to how the USSR was one of our major allies in WW2.

We all saw what happened when we let our Russian ally have its way after the original conflict was over. What disasters and horrific losses of life are in store, if we let Russian incompetence have its way after Ukraine is liberated?
Old 1st October 2022, 12:06 PM   #2488
Hercules56
Master Poster

Russia is abandoning a city in Donbass.

It appears that they can "annex" whatever territory they like, it doesn't mean they control the land or its people.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 12:09 PM   #2489
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Being vulnerable to a flank attack requires an enemy force of sufficient strength to threaten the flank. I don't think the Russians have that many forces maneuvering in the theater. I expect a lot of the effort right now is sweeping the liberated regions to make sure there's not a BTG hiding out somewhere, well supplied and unaccounted for. Then the Ukrainians just need to throw out skirmish lines to either side of their main thrust when they pivot.
The Russians are unlikely to be able to do anything in the short run. But the Russian border is a hard stopping point. Unless Ukraine can sweep around the current defenses and end the fighting completely they will be vulnerable to even very weak counter attacks that can cause huge problems.

Quote:
We all saw what happened when we let our Russian ally have its way after the original conflict was over. What disasters and horrific losses of life are in store, if we let Russian incompetence have its way after Ukraine is liberated?
I am assuming you mean inside Russia. The settling of accounts in Russia after this is over is going to be a mess. As it always is. Who has the nukes is going to be an issue again.
Old 1st October 2022, 12:11 PM   #2490
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

When possession is nine tenths of the law, all you have is the other one tenth, and nobody else even recognizes it as legal
Old 1st October 2022, 12:27 PM   #2491
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I still wonder why Putin started this war when he did.
If he'd started in July or August Europe would not have had time to do the preparations for winter we had now, and the Nordstream 2 would have been up and running, so the economic hit might have been effective enough blackmail to keep Europe looking the other way.

But now there was a whole summer to prepare. Now I'm not saying things are going to be easy this winter, but it could have been worse all around. And the ever continuing images of Russian atrocities are enough to keep public opinion strong enough to oppose Russia.
Did they really think this would be over in 1 month or so?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 12:35 PM   #2492
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

They were expecting to have all summer for driving the one or two actually functional BTGs in their army around Ukraine, mopping up the rest of the resistance.
Old 1st October 2022, 12:52 PM   #2493
Lord Emsworth
Je ne suis pas une de vos élèves

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Yes, of course. Even less. And it might just have worked.

ETA: Although, I have no idea either, why they started late in February. Maybe it has something to do in part with the Winter Olympics in China, where Putin and XiJinping (?) were playing BFFs.

Last edited by Lord Emsworth; 1st October 2022 at 12:56 PM.
Lord Emsworth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 01:10 PM   #2494
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I still wonder why Putin started this war when he did.
Specifically? Ukraine withdrew from the Russian power grid, IIRC. Straw that broke the camel's back kind of thing. So long as Ukraine was under effective Russian control, there was less motivation to officially reconquer them. Ukraine no longer under Russian control? Gotta teach those slaves a harsh lesson. There's more, of course, including face, that winning wars has been a cure-all thing for Russian politicians, demographic concerns, White Russian Supremacy, and so on, but meh. The specific date was opportunistic and politically motivated, with a bunch of other factors behind it. So much of Russia's invasion has been waged to obtain political goals, without real concern for military capability or concerns.

I would dare to say almost certainly. That's an unfortunately human consequence of motivated thinking and being in an information bubble of one's own making.

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Brain damage?
Librul heads aspolding is lethal brain damage, rught?

Either way, the next domino to fall is somewhat likely to be Kreminna, cutting off more logistics capacity for the Russians. Fighting's close and Russian forces may already be retreating from there.

Of some other note, CPAC decided to use Russia's sham annexation attempt as an opportunity to attack Biden. Why is Biden still giving freebies to Ukraine when Russia's winning and we're under heavy assault at our southern border? Seriously, the Russia Wing of the Republican Party may as well be treated as shameless lying traitors.

Also,

Quote:
Major explosions at the main Russian military airbase in Belbek, Russian-occupied Crimea.

Last edited by Aridas; 1st October 2022 at 01:38 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 02:03 PM   #2495
Aridas

To poke at a couple more things, Russia continued to use it's increasingly few missiles to target such incredibly valuable military targets as... another humanitarian convoy and public transit buses.

Russia's weakness is on full display.
Old 1st October 2022, 02:04 PM   #2496
lobosrul5
Illuminator

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/...vUQAGjPyQ&s=19

AFU troops in the city center of Lyman. Just in case anyone doubted they really took it... Couple of our regular posters seem missing lately
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 02:13 PM   #2497
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

It saves a step? Those inefficient Nazis had to gas people in one chamber, then transfer them to an oven. Modern Practises speed up the process!
Old 1st October 2022, 02:14 PM   #2498
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/...vUQAGjPyQ&s=19

AFU troops in the city center of Lyman. Just in case anyone doubted they really took it... Couple of our regular posters seem missing lately
They are busy helping to plan the upcoming Russian trap.
Old 1st October 2022, 02:32 PM   #2499
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

This is the ultimate effect of surrounding yourself with a culture of lies and corruption. Everyone lies, and yet, they all believe the lies, even as they must know that they're lying to each other. And Putin is at the top of that pile of lies. There's really no way he can tell which of the things he's hearing are true or not, because everyone in his system are motivated to lie to cover their own asses.

He probably really believed that the Russian military was the best trained, best equipped, most motivated army in the world. He probably really believed that the Ukrainians were a bunch of corrupt wimps who would run at the first sign of war. He probably really believed that his spies had successfully bribed enough people that the gates would all be left open for the invading force. Because that's what his staff was telling him.

Who there would have told Putin that their tanks were pieces of crap, and half of them had been sold for parts on the black market? Who would have told him that the Ukrainians really weren't interested in being annexed? Who would have told him that the army didn't have enough food or fuel to last even a month in combat?

I'd actually be surprised if there's one thing Putin "knows" that isn't actually a lie.

At some point, you run up against reality, and can't lie your way out of it any more.
Old 1st October 2022, 03:04 PM   #2500
sts60
Illuminator

And all the useful idiots and fascist apologists and fellow travelers in the West (including, but not limited to, the Trump gang, Fox News, CPAC, etc.) can’t keep the truth away forever. Even though they have the freedom to tell lies, while his own people are punished for telling the truth.

Last edited by sts60; 1st October 2022 at 03:07 PM.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st October 2022, 03:34 PM   #2501
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
They are busy helping to plan the upcoming Russian trap.
I'd have thought they'd be all butt hurt about Ukraine not respecting "democracy" or some ****.
Old 1st October 2022, 04:16 PM   #2502
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have thought they'd be all butt hurt about Ukraine not respecting "democracy" or some ****.
Yeah, Who would have ever thought the Ukrainians did not wish to be "freed" by Russia.
Old 1st October 2022, 04:16 PM   #2503
Aridas

Don't worry, that'll probably become more prominent a little later, when people have had a bit of time to forget. Just like the Donetsk, Luhansk, and Crimea.
Old 1st October 2022, 05:48 PM   #2504
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTmN...&start_radio=1

Still good news but there's video of fighter jet (not the best quality) crashing at a Russian air base in Crimea. It's great the Russians lost a fighter jet but it would have been better if it was the result of a Ukrainian attack.
Old 1st October 2022, 11:22 PM   #2505
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah, Who would have ever thought the Ukrainians did not wish to be "freed" by Russia.
Bbbbbbut the vast majority do, but they're being oppressed by the Jewish Nazis and being forced to fight against their liberators.

The pre$$titutes are just flooding the media with lies, only Russian state broadcasters tell the truth.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 01:06 AM   #2506
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Still good news but there's video of fighter jet (not the best quality) crashing at a Russian air base in Crimea. It's great the Russians lost a fighter jet but it would have been better if it was the result of a Ukrainian attack.
I see where you are coming from but if it is poor maintenance as opposed to normal happenings coupled with Russia's cavalier approach to individual equipment and (bottom of the pile, the lives of its personnel, due to a belief that it can afford to throw both away) then it's a systemic problem with them and that's also good.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 03:22 AM   #2507
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Saves a missile if they just destroy their own materiel.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 03:37 AM   #2508
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

An attack would disrupt the population of Russian squatters and Ukrainians collaborating with the occupation. If Ukraine reached to almost the southern end of the peninsula it would bring the war closer to the Russians who moved there. Losing a Russian military jet and disrupting airfield operations is nice. An attack deep in Russian occupied Ukraine is a psychological blow to the civil underpinnings of the occupation.

Messaging is a form of fires.
Old 2nd October 2022, 03:40 AM   #2509
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

An attack would disrupt the population of Russian squatters and Ukrainians collaborating with the occupation. If Ukraine reached to almost the southern end of the peninsula it would bring the war closer to the Russians who moved there. Losing a Russian military jet and disrupting airfield operations is nice. An attack deep in Russian occupied Ukraine is a psychological blow to the civil underpinnings of the occupation.

Messaging is a form of fires.
That is true. But Ukraine already has done that.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 03:58 AM   #2510
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like progress in the east with a couple more villages liberated and a little progress in Kherson...

Doubtless more traps being laid.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 04:11 AM   #2511
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Looks like progress in the east with a couple more villages liberated and a little progress in Kherson...

Doubtless more traps being laid.
Kherson is taking a while but it's going to be worth it. The scale of capture of Russian personnel and material will be huge.
Old 2nd October 2022, 04:44 AM   #2512
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Kherson is taking a while but it's going to be worth it. The scale of capture of Russian personnel and material will be huge.
... and just wait and see, two days after the capture of Russian POWs, Kremlin and their mindless Putin fanboi choir will blame Ukraine for their illnesses, weight loss, and frostbites.
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:26 AM   #2513
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

Why? If Russia crashes its planes by itself, Ukraine won't have to waste missiles on them.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:31 AM   #2514
jeremyp
Graduate Poster

This is an interesting video. A Russian POW tells his story to his captors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2FgTr4fUw

He joined the war to drive medical transports, was assigned to tanks instead, given a pile of junk and made to advance in order to make the Ukrainians reveal their positions by shooting at him*. He was the only survivor from his crew and he reckons his war lasted five minutes.

I find the second half of the video quite surprising and even moving. Not all Russians are the same.

*TBF this was only his opinion
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:18 AM   #2515
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
This is an interesting video. A Russian POW tells his story to his captors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l2FgTr4fUw
That was interesting, thanks.
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:36 AM   #2516
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
... and just wait and see, two days after the capture of Russian POWs, Kremlin and their mindless Putin fanboi choir will blame Ukraine for their illnesses, weight loss, and frostbites.
And this is the difference between the POWs in the prisoner swap

https://twitter.com/MelaniePodolyak/...y2vD9VNyrn5OCg

The Russian POW went on Russia Today to complain of not being fed properly.

ETA: Ironic given that at least one Russian has surrendered when offered a sandwich. Which, given that Russia has sometimes sent out troops without even water, is not actually surprising. I wouldn't fight determinedly for someone who kept betraying me like the Russian military.

Last edited by jimbob; 2nd October 2022 at 07:39 AM.
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:44 AM   #2517
Arcade22
Philosopher

Meanwhile Russia has banned SoundCloud for containing information regarding Russia’s methods of warfare such as indiscriminate shelling of civilians and other war crimes.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:49 AM   #2518
Arcade22
Philosopher

Why? If the Russians are killing themselves it saves the Ukranians the effort of having to do it for them.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:59 AM   #2519
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Shot in the dark: they've really accelerated pilot training, or they are taking maintenance shortcuts.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:15 AM   #2520
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Why? If the Russians are killing themselves it saves the Ukranians the effort of having to do it for them.
Because that Russians crash their jets surprises no one. Sustained attacks deep in areas occupied by Russia is psychologically distinct from an accident. An attack on the airfield demonstrates a Russian inability to secure areas under their occupation to the civilian Russian administration. They create push factors, motivating the Russian civil occupation government and collaborators to leave. That clogs the MSRs and degrades the military adjacent support structures needed to sustain war. Sustained attacks also force deep battle, drawing off forces to secure rear areas and keeping them away from the FLOT/FEBA.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics