ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags VPNs

Old 19th May 2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

What's the best VPN for someone on a budget?

I went to this website and according to its list, Shurf Shark is the cheapest from the "best" ones.

The only downside is that there's no free trial. I would need to obtain it immediately.

So before I do that, I wanted to consult with others what, in their experience, is the best cheap VPN device there is.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 05:07 AM   #2
Wudang
BOFH

Depending what you need it for Opera browser has one built in.
Old 20th May 2019, 05:12 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

NordVPN has always worked for me. It's not perfect, you're limited to 6 devices if that's an issue for you and to get it really "cheap" you have to do the year+ packages but they have a solid no-logging policy and everything just seems to "work" with it without any fuss.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 06:26 AM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Are you computer savvy at all?

I run my own vpn through OpenVPN, it works pretty well and it's fairly easy to setup.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-service...nonymous-2018/
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:57 PM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

I did some asking around the office and multiple people said "Private Internet Access" was supposed to be a good one.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:51 PM   #7
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I did some asking around the office and multiple people said "Private Internet Access" was supposed to be a good one.
I've been using PIA for years, and I'm happy with them. I do speed tests from time to time, and there are seldom any slowdowns. I use their clients for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:55 PM   #8
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I've been using PIA for years, and I'm happy with them. I do speed tests from time to time, and there are seldom any slowdowns. I use their clients for Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Our main networking guy here swears by it. Said he wouldn't use anything else because they won't track any information.

Old 30th May 2019, 06:40 PM   #9
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Our main networking guy here swears by it. Said he wouldn't use anything else because they won't track any information.
How do you know they do not track any information? They can say they do not track any information but how do you know they are telling the truth?
Old 31st May 2019, 02:38 PM   #10
caveman1917
Philosopher

ProtonVPN might be good, it's free. I don't use it myself but I do use their ProtonMail service and that all works just fine.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Depending what you need it for Opera browser has one built in.
I use that one, but unfortunately, that one only protects you from stuff you do through the browser itself.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:52 PM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
How do you know they do not track any information? They can say they do not track any information but how do you know they are telling the truth?
I guess...I don't; however, you can apply that to pretty much anything. I don't really have a defense of PIA, and don't really feel the need to provide one.

I was asked a question, gave my feedback. Like I said, I built my own so I don't really need to worry about it.

Old 3rd June 2019, 01:57 PM   #13
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
NordVPN has always worked for me. It's not perfect, you're limited to 6 devices if that's an issue for you and to get it really "cheap" you have to do the year+ packages but they have a solid no-logging policy and everything just seems to "work" with it without any fuss.
Yup. I took a 3-year deal. For those just getting started, you must remember yourself, however, to change the VPN's ethernet adapter's DNS servers* to those of your provider, if they also offer one, or to Google. Also use a static IP. Otherwise, leaks. Spoofing your time zone, including national date and time format settings, helps in extremis.

*I use Sordum's DNS Jumper. Recommended, as is an extension to block WebRTC in your browser. Idea is to get past a https://ipleak.net/ test unscathed.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 3rd June 2019 at 02:00 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 04:07 AM   #14
eerok
Quixoticist

Apparently PIA has survived at least one court challenge. Since they're not legally required to keep logs, they're also not required to produce them, so I don't see what's difficult about them keeping this promise. They say that their encryption scheme makes logging difficult/impossible as well.

They've been around long enough that if they were lying about keeping logs, it'd be public knowledge by now.
Old 4th June 2019, 05:57 AM   #15
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A serious question. Does anyone really want a VPN for anything other than pirating?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 06:03 AM   #16
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A serious question. Does anyone really want a VPN for anything other than pirating?
Yes. Funny enough pirating (or to be more precise my P2P torrent traffic) is the one thing that I don't use a VPN for.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 08:53 AM   #17
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Encryption. Privacy. Security.
Old 4th June 2019, 02:03 PM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Encryption. Privacy. Security.
That says almost nothing. What disasters can only be prevented by me using a VPN? Remember I do only legal things, so watching that Netflix movie that is available only in another country is not allowed as part of the answer.
Old 4th June 2019, 06:36 PM   #19
eerok
Quixoticist

That says almost nothing. What disasters can only be prevented by me using a VPN? Remember I do only legal things, so watching that Netflix movie that is available only in another country is not allowed as part of the answer.
If you don't think you need a VPN, then don't use one.
Old 4th June 2019, 07:37 PM   #20
Yalius
Muse

The only things I use a VPN for are accessing my work network and when I'm away from home and need to use a public WiFi AP. Then I use my own VPN hosted on my home internet connection. No man-in-the-middle problems that way.

But using a VPN from home for general internet use? Pfffft. I *like* my Gb symmetric fiber speeds, and I know for a stone-cold fact my ISP doesn't track, filter, or throttle.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You know how so many places offer free wifi now? You really want to use a VPN if you're going to connect to them. Think of it like a digital condom: even if you don't stick your NIC where it doesn't belong, you don't know who else that router's been with.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:33 PM   #22
Donal
Illuminator

Also, you may not want your ISP tracking your activity. Especially now that throttling is legal.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:49 PM   #23
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yes. Funny enough pirating (or to be more precise my P2P torrent traffic) is the one thing that I don't use a VPN for.
Really? How come?

Carl Sagan
Old 10th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #24
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
The best budget VPN?

Knowing your neighbor's WiFi password

Note that this really won't help. But it's still a funny line! I crack myself up!

Last edited by Hellbound; 10th June 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2019, 12:56 PM   #25
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Really? How come?
I've found that the NAT punching techniques used to make one's IP routable tend to fail a lot when using a VPN.
Old 11th June 2019, 11:38 AM   #26
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I've found that the NAT punching techniques used to make one's IP routable tend to fail a lot when using a VPN.
Ok... but even if this was true, wouldn't it be smart to use a VPN anyway, just in case? Since you said they "tend to fail", as opposed to "they always fail", which means there's still a probability it won't fail.

Carl Sagan
Old 11th June 2019, 06:46 PM   #27
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Ok... but even if this was true, wouldn't it be smart to use a VPN anyway, just in case? Since you said they "tend to fail", as opposed to "they always fail", which means there's still a probability it won't fail.
Well I didn't analyze the problem so maybe it's caused by something else. My observation was that, after I started using a VPN for torrent traffic, my uploading would tend to fail (I say "tend" here because it almost always fails but very rarely a couple of kilobytes somehow manage to get through) but downloading didn't, which led me to believe that the cause was my IP not being routable (so I can have outgoing connections but not incoming ones). Thinking about it a bit more now I'm sure that this is the problem, the few times I did get some uploading was probably over connections that were established from my end.

Granted, this wouldn't actually be a problem since what you want to do is download rather than upload anyway, but given that bittorrent works with a tit-for-tat algorithm I was concerned that this would negatively impact my ability to download torrents, especially rare ones. However now realizing that I can still upload over connections that I establish from my end this means that I won't be negatively impacted by this so I'm going to put it back to working over the VPN.

As to your question of whether it wouldn't be smart to use a VPN anyway, it depends on what traffic you're trying to hide with a VPN. Torrent traffic isn't particularly high on my list there so I don't really care all that much about it.
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #28
plague311
Great minds think...

That's what I was thinking the whole time I was reading it.

I'm extremely diligent when it comes to my network privacy. Just like I don't do anything illegal in my house, but I still draw the blinds at night. I don't like people looking in on what I'm doing.

I run private DNS that forwards to 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) because of their privacy policy. I use a VPN for encrypted traffic. I run a lot of my downloaded programs through a sandboxed system just to make sure and I do scans almost regularly.

If you don't want to use a VPN, or don't have a use for one then don't use one. As extremely awesomely referred to up above, you don't have to use condoms either. That doesn't mean no one else feels the need to use them.

Old Today, 12:23 PM   #29
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I've wondered if using a VPN might itself attract undue attention from law enforcement, etc. AndI doubt any VPN is really crack proof if you really stir up the interest of a reasonably sophisticated arm of local law enforcement, let alone the interest of the NSA, etc.

Any insights?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #30
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I've wondered if using a VPN might itself attract undue attention from law enforcement, etc.
Anything is possible, but I find this to be highly unlikely. In my experience in IT (I've worked phone based support for about a decade, have a degree in networking, and currently am a System Administrator), most people that work in the industry run them for the reasons listed (privacy mostly). I'll refer to my previous statement. I don't want people looking in my house, but the police shouldn't be suspicious just because I have my blinds closed.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
And I doubt any VPN is really crack proof if you really stir up the interest of a reasonably sophisticated arm of local law enforcement, let alone the interest of the NSA, etc.

Any insights?
Again, anything is possible. Local law enforcement isn't cracking encryption of the levels given by most VPN providers though. I say this because the FBI had to send phones to a 3rd party to get them broken, and encryption on data traffic\packets is about the same. Plus you're looking at...millions of different packets for even the most basic of network traffic.

ETA: If you ever want to see the sheer number of packets you can download a packet sniffer (wireshark for instance, but there are many) for free and just run it while having it target your own computer. Go visit a few websites, or even just sit and watch the DHCP handshakes.

There are a bunch of better ways to find out where people are going on the internets than looking at their network traffic. Especially things that aren't generally encrypted (Search history, browser cookies, downloads, etc).

Last edited by plague311; Today at 12:45 PM.
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #31
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Also, you may not want your ISP tracking your activity. Especially now that throttling is legal.
I live in a rural area where only a slow internet connection is available. I can watch streaming video just fine or download one or two smaller files without issue. But, once I start downloading a large file or a number of smaller files, the throughput begins to decrease until it is unbearable.

Following a recommendation I saw in a forum, I tried a VPN (NordVPN). I don't see the issue with downloads when using the VPN. They start out slow, because my connection is slow, but they don't get slower over time.

And using a VPN when accessing a public WiFi hotspot adds a layer of protection.

Last edited by jadebox; Today at 01:09 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:17 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Someone mentioned "man-in-the-middle" attacks. VPN's are the ultimate protection against those as even if you connect to a rogue WiFi hotspot, your traffic is encrypted and your average Joe isn't going to have the means to break that. I'm not even an average Joe and I certainly wouldn't even bother. Go after the low hanging fruit that decide they don't need a VPN.

It's not always about hiding illegal activity.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet