ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th July 2018, 06:07 AM   #601
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I was given a suppository once, by consent, and never realised that I was engaged in an unequivocally and inarguably sexual act.
I'm now thinking about my colonoscopies in a very different way!
Old 18th July 2018, 07:04 AM   #602
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
It is my first thought, and everyone who responds. It is unequivocal and inarguable, it is an anal suggestion.
And never, not ever, designed to continue a happy dialogue.
I am astonished at the obfuscation on the thread.
Get over your anal obsession already!

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 11
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)

Last edited by kmortis; 19th July 2018 at 08:12 AM.
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 07:52 AM   #603
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It's a clever idea, but ill-judged and unwanted.
Was it unwanted?

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/...84366083190785

From Dict Stanton to Elon Musk:

Quote:
It is absolutely worth continuing with the development of this system in as timely a manner as feasible. If the rain holds out it may well be used.
None of that excused Musk's behavior regarding Unsworth, but I don't think it is correct to say that they didn't want it. They were following a number or parallel options for getting the kids out. This one might not have been practical and was not used, but it does seem like they asked Musk to keep working on it.

Last edited by crescent; 18th July 2018 at 08:58 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:55 AM   #604
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Timimg. Maybe I have it wrong, but I thought the diver cast the first stone.
I also thought that Musk asked if he should continue to build his machine, and was told to carry on. It all looked like good faith.
My homework is incomplete, so I provisionally withdraw my conclusions, but there is a thread bias to minimise the insult by the British diver and maximise that of the South African/American trailblazer.
It wasn't a submarine - it was either a rigid enclosed stretcher, or a coffin for living people.

It was obvious that if one has to travel through a passage that requires divers to remove their oxygen tanks, then such a coffin would be very hard to manouver. It is even more obvious that such a contraption would slow the rescue down even if it could work.

Musk was distracting from the rescue attempt, he was critical of the plan that worked and came up with something impractical.

When asked about the "submarine", Unsworth pointed out some salient and obvious facts and used some strong language as one would when someone had been distracting from the rescue and had recently been under a lot of stress.

There is no blame attached to Unsworth - the best that can be said of Musk is that adulation might have gone to his head.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:16 AM   #605
Bob001
Philosopher

The boys finally speak for themselves. They had only intended to be in the cave for an hour.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.40896a4c5aae
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:19 AM   #606
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Was it unwanted?

None of that excused Musk's behavior regarding Unsworth, but I don't think it is correct to say that they didn't want it. They were following a number or parallel options for getting the kids out. This one might not have been practical and was not used, but it does seem like they asked Musk to keep working on it.
Fair enough, but I wonder if Musk's team ran the final design past Stanton or anyone else in the rescue team? Given that the design wasn't going to work it's hard to see any justification for actually delivering it to the cave. It still looks like glory-seeking.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:38 AM   #607
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
And you were doing so well up to that point. SMH.
Sorry, but from a British perspective even saying literally, "you can stick that up your arse," would not be taken in the way Musk did.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:41 AM   #608
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
And that's why, in English, "anal' and "sexual" are not synonyms (though he did "shove it up your ass").
What the hell dude?
No, he didn't say that.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:44 AM   #609
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Fair enough, but I wonder if Musk's team ran the final design past Stanton or anyone else in the rescue team? Given that the design wasn't going to work it's hard to see any justification for actually delivering it to the cave. It still looks like glory-seeking.
I can believe it wasn't intended to be - saying "please work on this" sounds as though that could be a polite way of saying no without actually saying no and Musk might have not noticed.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/T...ness-etiquette

Quote:
Courtesy is very important to Thai people. Being polite and respectful to others is considered essential to maintaining good relationships. Speaking softly and smiling warmly will always help to create positive feelings.

As in many other Asian countries, you should avoid angering or insulting someone (causing someone to “lose face”). Open criticisms and negative responses are seen as an insult to other people and can cause them to think disrespectfully of you. If you need to give a negative response, do so indirectly.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 11:46 AM   #610
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meanwhile - this made me laugh and has an aspect of truth about it too:

https://i.redd.it/8ngklhftvl911.jpg
Old 18th July 2018, 01:19 PM   #611
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
No, he didn't say that.
Quite right, well spotted.

(Out of my personal experience... didn't think it through. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 18th July 2018 at 01:20 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 01:45 PM   #612
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I can believe it wasn't intended to be - saying "please work on this" sounds as though that could be a polite way of saying no without actually saying no and Musk might have not noticed.
Exactly.
Old 18th July 2018, 03:28 PM   #613
Samson
Philosopher

It wasn't a submarine - it was either a rigid enclosed stretcher, or a coffin for living people.

It was obvious that if one has to travel through a passage that requires divers to remove their oxygen tanks, then such a coffin would be very hard to manouver. It is even more obvious that such a contraption would slow the rescue down even if it could work.

Musk was distracting from the rescue attempt, he was critical of the plan that worked and came up with something impractical.

When asked about the "submarine", Unsworth pointed out some salient and obvious facts and used some strong language as one would when someone had been distracting from the rescue and had recently been under a lot of stress.

There is no blame attached to Unsworth - the best that can be said of Musk is that adulation might have gone to his head.
Thanks for that summary Jimbob, it is a fair view of what might have happened. I feel there will emerge a plausible narrative where everyone can shake hands.

Just what is a pedo boy in SA??

Last edited by Samson; 18th July 2018 at 03:32 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #614
angrysoba
Philosophile

Thanks for a balanced summary Jimbob.
It is balanced perfectly in favour if he truth of the matter. Therefore I second your thanks to Jimbob for the honest summary.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:48 PM   #615
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The boys finally speak for themselves. They had only intended to be in the cave for an hour.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.40896a4c5aae
I missed the brief item on the Radio 4 news, so googled for a report and watched that video right through. I thought it was very interesting and well presented.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 10:08 AM   #616
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meanwhile on Badscience, EACLUcifer has added a bit more on why it was a really bad idea - beyond the obvious problems with fitting in the passages.

Originally Posted by EACLucifer
To sum up that contraption, the hatch was closed by about 8 thumbwheel bolts. Because thumbwheel bolts. Thumbwheel bolts can be a bit tricky at times. How much torque would one need to create a good seal? What happens if you drop one while working in a cave in complete darkness and soaking wet? What happens if you crossthread it - surprisingly easy to do - and **** up the entire hatch seal?

It was never designed to work in any environment more challenging than a swimming pool with lots of good cameras filming it.

Not only did that cave have narrow, twisty sections - the sort of thing that had divers having to take their tanks off and carry them - but it also had the sort of currents that could rip off a divers mask if they faced the wrong way.
Old 19th July 2018, 01:46 PM   #617
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Was it unwanted?

None of that excused Musk's behavior regarding Unsworth, but I don't think it is correct to say that they didn't want it.
The email exchange suggests they liked the idea; but importantly it's the idea they're interested in. It was after he arrived with the capsule and they actually saw it in physical reality that they declared it impractical.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2018, 01:50 PM   #618
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The email exchange suggests they liked the idea; but importantly it's the idea they're interested in. It was after he arrived with the capsule and they actually saw it in physical reality that they declared it impractical.
Alternatively, it could have been a polite way of giving a holding answer and allowing face to be saved without sounding negative.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events