ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags science fiction authors , science fiction books

Old 10th September 2017, 08:47 AM   #1
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Can you identify this sci-fi book for me?

I remember reading a book (a series?) when I was a kid during the late 70s. I remember almost nothing about it other than the spaceship had a 'food replicator' that you only had to think about the food you wanted and it would be produced. However, as a result of someone in the family thinking too hard about their food in the past, it would now only produce beans on toast or something.

Any thoughts?
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:09 AM   #2
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Could be worse. Could be Limburger on Melba toast.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Think of something g pertinent besides food replicator .... food replicator just brings up endless Star Trek references (in mind and google)
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 09:45 AM   #4
BillC
Bazooka Joe

It might be Dragonfall 5.
BillC is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I remember reading a book (a series?) when I was a kid during the late 70s. I remember almost nothing about it other than the spaceship had a 'food replicator' that you only had to think about the food you wanted and it would be produced. However, as a result of someone in the family thinking too hard about their food in the past, it would now only produce beans on toast or something.

Any thoughts?
English author, I would assume.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Did the food taste almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea?
Old 10th September 2017, 03:43 PM   #7
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Did the food taste almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea?
I was going to say that.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:05 PM   #8
smartcooky
Philosopher

Any thoughts?
Sounds like the sort of thing I would expect Larry Niven to come up with - perhaps something out if his "Puppeteers" universe (the "Known Space" series).

Does the name "Beowulf Shaeffer" ring a bell
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:09 PM   #9
Nowhere Man
Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sounds like the sort of thing I would expect Larry Niven to come up with - perhaps something out if his "Puppeteers" universe (the "Known Space" series).

Does the name "Beowulf Shaeffer" ring a bell
Niven never wrote anything like a thought-controlled food replicator, at least back in the 70s.

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
Niven never wrote anything like a thought-controlled food replicator, at least back in the 70s.

Fred
Although I believe you are correct, the idea of a food replicator that only produced beans also made me think of Niven and his Puppters. Not thought controlled but a food replicator that was either uninspired or as humor? I can"t wuite wrap my brain around this vague memory...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Any thoughts?
Wacky plots like that, I think Robert Sheckley
Old 16th September 2017, 08:32 AM   #12
Wudang
BOFH

You could try asking https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...identification
Wudang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

One time I asked to identify a sci fi book here ... and our members got it straight away AND one member sent me the book for free!
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 11:22 AM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
One time I asked to identify a sci fi book here ... and our members got it straight away AND one member sent me the book for free!
Wondering if anyone can identify a book -- an autographed, First Edition of a collected chronicle about Martians by Ray Bradbury? I don't have one but would like to read it again...
Old 16th September 2017, 11:53 AM   #15
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Wondering if anyone can identify a book -- an autographed, First Edition of a collected chronicle about Martians by Ray Bradbury? I don't have one but would like to read it again...
What??? .. why not go full bore!

The book I was thinking of started with 'Gutenberg' ... and ended in an 'E'
Old 18th September 2017, 11:47 AM   #16
carrps
Scholar

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
English author, I would assume.
Seriously. I can't imagine an American even thinking of beans on toast.
carrps is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:27 PM   #17
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
Could be worse. Could be Limburger on Melba toast.
You take that back! It should be Limburger with RAW ONIONS on melba toast. Do you not know how to eat?
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 08:32 PM   #18
dropzone
Master Poster

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Seriously. I can't imagine an American even thinking of beans on toast.
At a company Christmas dinner I saw buttered toast and beans. As a man of the world I said, "I know what to do with this!" Yeah, it was dinner, not breakfast, but it was good.

Born in Minnesota. Learned it from my mom. Wanna make something out of it?
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:02 PM   #19
smartcooky
Philosopher

Yet another "can you identify this sci fi book"

oops. wrong thread
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts