ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags science fiction authors , science fiction books

Old 9th August 2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trying to find a sci-fi book I read as a kid

Unfortunately, I can't remember a great deal about it, so I'm hoping someone here is familiar enough with it to recognise it from very sparse information.

The premise, as I remember it, has a contemporary man (I'm thinking 80s, but maybe 70s) killed in some unique way and then being resurrected in the future in an also unique robot body that looks and feels like a human body, but has all the advantages (like strength) of a robot.

The only other things I can remember are that he pilots a spaceship at some point; that he has the companionship of a couple of women, and that he sleeps with both of them simultaneously; and that there's a scene where he realises that he can sit comfortably without the use of a chair by locking his legs in a sitting position.

That's all I can remember, which I know isn't a lot to go on at all. It's possible that the title has the word "sun" in it, and that maybe the plot revolves around him having to save the Earth from some sun-related disaster or something, but I say both of those things with a very low percentage estimate of certainty. I don't remember it being particularly good, but I do remember it being quite fun, and I think I'd enjoy revisiting it.

I am trying to think of another one, but I may have recalled it. There was a novel which felt "old-fashioned" to me in which the protagonist had to travel through lots of different worlds by stepping on numbered steps, as if disconnected stairs from a staircase. I think this is probably James Blish's The Jack Of Eagles. Does that sound right to anybody who knows that story well?
Old 9th August 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
smartcooky
Philosopher

Man Plus (Frederick Pohl)?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 01:20 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Not that, no. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 10th August 2017, 02:48 AM   #4
big-E
Thinker

Quote:
...the protagonist had to travel through lots of different worlds by stepping on numbered steps, as if disconnected stairs from a staircase...
This sounds a little bit like 'The Impacted Man' by Robert Sheckley... the stairs weren't numbered though.
big-E is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 04:07 AM   #5
sts60
Illuminator

The second one does sound like Jack of Eagles, where the protagonist is going through the "sigma sequence" - basically parallel worlds which for some reason (explained n the story, but long forgotten) he needs to physically step up between each. They weren't explicitly numbered, though, IIRC.
sts60 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I could well be misremembering the numbers thing from what I think is probably Jack Of Eagles.
Old 10th August 2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The premise, as I remember it, has a contemporary man (I'm thinking 80s, but maybe 70s) killed in some unique way and then being resurrected in the future in an also unique robot body that looks and feels like a human body, but has all the advantages (like strength) of a robot.

The only other things I can remember are that he pilots a spaceship at some point; that he has the companionship of a couple of women, and that he sleeps with both of them simultaneously; and that there's a scene where he realises that he can sit comfortably without the use of a chair by locking his legs in a sitting position.

That's all I can remember, which I know isn't a lot to go on at all. It's possible that the title has the word "sun" in it, and that maybe the plot revolves around him having to save the Earth from some sun-related disaster or something, but I say both of those things with a very low percentage estimate of certainty. I don't remember it being particularly good, but I do remember it being quite fun, and I think I'd enjoy revisiting it.
I'm fairly sure I've read this, but I have no idea what the title is or who wrote it.

As I recall, the opening was set in the future and the guy was on a space flight when there was some accident and he was frozen in space. They had to wait decades until the technology to revive him became available. And meanwhile he was not declared to be legally dead, and his money was managed by trustees - and thanks to some cool inventions he'd come up with, his estate became colossally valuable. Unfortunately for him, his return thus triggered some kind of political shenanigans.

He also woke in something of a dystopian world in which most people lived pretty miserable lives - and this was at least partly the fault of his company, which dominated the economy and government. That's what made the trustees nervous, that he might want to "correct" things.

Does that sound familiar to you?
Old 10th August 2017, 09:17 PM   #8
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I'm fairly sure I've read this, but I have no idea what the title is or who wrote it.

As I recall, the opening was set in the future and the guy was on a space flight when there was some accident and he was frozen in space. They had to wait decades until the technology to revive him became available. And meanwhile he was not declared to be legally dead, and his money was managed by trustees - and thanks to some cool inventions he'd come up with, his estate became colossally valuable. Unfortunately for him, his return thus triggered some kind of political shenanigans.

He also woke in something of a dystopian world in which most people lived pretty miserable lives - and this was at least partly the fault of his company, which dominated the economy and government. That's what made the trustees nervous, that he might want to "correct" things.

That sounds like The Unincorporated Man. He's a not a robot, though.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2017, 10:53 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Have no idea, but just because it bears the flimsiest similarity to Buck Rogers I can manage it gives me a chance to post the greatest scene rom the show ever filmed

It's cringeness is flawless

Buck Gets Funky!
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:13 AM   #10
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post

Or Today We Choose Faces by Roger Zelazny.

The protagonist is a Mafia hitman who is resurrected by the future Mob for a job as they are now another corporation and have lost most experience of illegality - part of the conceit is that the businesses from the laundered money are more profitable and less risky than criminal enterprises.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:47 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seismosaurus' suggestion doesn't ring a bell, but my memories are vague enough that I can't actually say that that isn't it. I am reasonably certain he was a contemporary man, though.

I'm sure it's not the Zelazny one.
Old 12th August 2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's a Niven "corpsicle" one that seems similar, but not similar enough.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:53 AM   #13
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Seismosaurus' suggestion doesn't ring a bell, but my memories are vague enough that I can't actually say that that isn't it. I am reasonably certain he was a contemporary man, though.

I'm sure it's not the Zelazny one.
No, the Zelazny one sounded a bit like the one that Seismosaurus was describing.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 12:55 PM   #14
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There's a Niven "corpsicle" one that seems similar, but not similar enough.
A World Out of Time maybe? But not a robot, sorry.

Niall

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RationalVetMed View Post

Niall
That's the one I was thinking of, yes. I knew it wasn't what was being looked for.
Old 20th August 2017, 02:28 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RationalVetMed View Post

Niall
Not that, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 23rd August 2017, 08:21 AM   #17
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...e-of-that-book

This is a group on Goodreads dedicated to answering these sorts of questions. Give it a shot, maybe they can find it.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm pretty sure that was a Hardy Boys book. Maybe Encyclopedia Brown, but I'm leaning more towards the Hardy Boys.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:30 AM   #19
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...is_the_Hangman

Some similar themes. Until I googled the name, I hadn't realised it was also Roger Zelazny.
Old 30th August 2017, 03:02 PM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show...e-of-that-book

This is a group on Goodreads dedicated to answering these sorts of questions. Give it a shot, maybe they can find it.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts