ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Cade Cothren , Glen Casada , racism incidents , Tennessee politics

Old 2nd May 2019, 08:11 AM   #1
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Office of Tennessee’s Speaker of the House Forges Evidence to Frame Activist

CASADA’S OFFICE FORGES EVIDENCE, USES “N” WORD, SAYS “BLACK PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS”

Quote:
Channel 5 also has text messages from Casada’s $200,000 chief of staff using the word “******” and saying “black people are idiots”.

Jones has been a regular protestor at the capitol, where he and others have been mobilizing to try to get the bust of the KKK’s first Grand Wizard removed from the capitol, where it’s still featured prominently to this day.

Jones and others protested peacefully, but things reached a boiling point after Casada’s office lied about not getting emails from Jones asking for a meeting – saying he had been misspelling their email addresses (we have them, they were correctly spelled).

The DA’s office now admits their evidence came from the Speaker’s chief of staff.

“You have some of the most powerful people in this state who are willing to file a false report and to file a false paperwork and to manipulate paperwork to take your freedom away,” Jones said.

The Speaker’s reaction?

“I know nothing of that — nothing,” Casada told NewsChannel 5 Investigates.
Edited by Agatha:  Edited for rule 10 = please ensure that copy&pasted material conforms to ISF rules.

Last edited by Agatha; 3rd May 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/ne...to-investigate

Quote:
An exclusive NewsChannel 5 investigation has uncovered new evidence - including racist text messages - that raise questions about the Speaker's $200,000-a-year chief of staff, Cade Cothren.

Now, Nashville District Attorney General Glenn Funk has requested a special prosecutor to take a hard look at the case.

"This was an extreme form of retaliation where you are willing to lie to take away somebody's freedom," said Justin Jones, the student activist who was targeted by the Speaker's office.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:31 AM   #3
autumn1971
Master Poster

It’s an opinion piece, so I assume very cherry-picked, but the actual quotes seem damning.

But it’s the South; nothing will come of this.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have sworn we had a previous thread, or at least a mention of this clown (Casada) but haven't found it yet. He's a birther, among other idiocy.
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

How stupid do you have to be to think that changing the date on an email will work?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'd have sworn we had a previous thread, or at least a mention of this clown (Casada) but haven't found it yet. He's a birther, among other idiocy.
Never mind, it was this other idiot, the Republican Speaker from Georgia I was thinking of. Corruption runs deep in that party.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:57 PM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningOff topic posts moved to AAH. Keep to the topic of the thread
Posted By:Darat
Old 6th May 2019, 12:03 AM   #8
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Why in the world was a bust of a KKK Grand Wizard ever in the capitol in the first place?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 06:04 AM   #9
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Why in the world was a bust of a KKK Grand Wizard ever in the capitol in the first place?
It was installed in 1978, presumably to honor a Confederate military leader who rose from private to general in the war. But prior to the war he was a slave trader and during the war troops under his command massacred surrendered Union soldiers, mostly black. There are, as expected, conflicting accounts regarding the massacre at Fort Pillow.

Even ignoring his post-war involvement with the KKK, he doesn't seem like a man to be honored, but I imagine his supporters stress he good features and deny or forgive his bad. To some extent, I can understand this. I don't think that a man ought to be pure as the driven snow in order to be honored for his qualities or heroism -- even a dreadful bigot can be heroic and recognized as such. But Forrest's history is pretty bleak. Even his military valor or leadership is complicated by the fact that he was fighting against the United States in a war fundamentally about slavery.

I don't know why the bust was put up in 1978. I'd be interested in contemporaneous discussions, but I've spent enough time on Wikipedia learning the few facts mentioned above.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 01:08 AM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
It was installed in 1978, presumably to honor a Confederate military leader who rose from private to general in the war. But prior to the war he was a slave trader and during the war troops under his command massacred surrendered Union soldiers, mostly black. There are, as expected, conflicting accounts regarding the massacre at Fort Pillow.

Even ignoring his post-war involvement with the KKK, he doesn't seem like a man to be honored, but I imagine his supporters stress he good features and deny or forgive his bad. To some extent, I can understand this. I don't think that a man ought to be pure as the driven snow in order to be honored for his qualities or heroism -- even a dreadful bigot can be heroic and recognized as such. But Forrest's history is pretty bleak. Even his military valor or leadership is complicated by the fact that he was fighting against the United States in a war fundamentally about slavery.

I don't know why the bust was put up in 1978. I'd be interested in contemporaneous discussions, but I've spent enough time on Wikipedia learning the few facts mentioned above.
Sounds like something the Good Old Boys would've done, likely voted-in the previous year which was the 100th anniversary of his death. (Idle speculation.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 11:40 PM   #11
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Sounds like something the Good Old Boys would've done, likely voted-in the previous year which was the 100th anniversary of his death. (Idle speculation.)
While this particular one wasn't, (it was done by the Good Old Boys), there are a lot of them done by the Good ole Girls too.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 8th May 2019 at 11:44 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 12:42 AM   #12
3point14
Pi

I continue to be confused at how many Americans want to celebrate the losers. It seems an oddly un-American thing to do.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 03:40 AM   #13
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I continue to be confused at how many Americans want to celebrate the losers. It seems an oddly un-American thing to do.
Because sure they lost the war but they won the peace. Look how few Americans understand how slavery was the reason behind the whole thing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics