ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th May 2019, 11:55 PM   #81
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The fact Trump is now bleating "NO DEM DO-OVERS!" indicates he does have something to hide and he knows it all too well. Because he believes that what is hidden could well end his presidency on the spot. Hence the (mistaken) notion that Hillary, a Democrat, would automatically replace him as a result. Because of course he doesn't understand the presidential election process nor the official line of presidential succession. Or he does but he is playing that line to his base, who are dumber than the box the hammers came in.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:49 AM   #82
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
A tax return will tell you how good his accountant is. So, what's that gonna do? I'm gonna hire that candidate's accountant next year so I get a better refund?

I wanna see MEDICAL records - that will tell me whether or not the candidate is mentally or medically impaired (Hilary and her falling spells).
Her fainting spells? Oh come on. Standing in the heat for too long can cause a person to faint. End of story. I don't recall any spells, plural.

What are you going to see in Trump's medical report? He hires crony doctors just like he appoints cronies to his Cabinet.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:50 AM   #83
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I have no objection to him trying to hide something. I hide tons of things.
Good for you.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:27 AM   #84
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Given how little attention his base paid to the Mueller report, this should be a no-risk move for Trump - IF the tax returns don't actually open the floodgates to a host of avenues for investigation of fraud.
I think it's a no-risk move for Trump even if they do. I am honestly convinced at this point that Trump's base would not abandon him over any sort of white-collar crime whatsoever that his tax returns might expose.

Think about it: practically the entire time Trump's been harping about NO COLLUSION, his base has been saying "so what even if he did?", asserting that the good end of Trump's ending up in the White House justifies whatever means put him there.

Last edited by Checkmite; 7th May 2019 at 01:29 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:00 AM   #85
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think it's a no-risk move for Trump even if they do. I am honestly convinced at this point that Trump's base would not abandon him over any sort of white-collar crime whatsoever that his tax returns might expose.

Think about it: practically the entire time Trump's been harping about NO COLLUSION, his base has been saying "so what even if he did?", asserting that the good end of Trump's ending up in the White House justifies whatever means put him there.
true, his base and the GOP would stay loyal, but lawsuits would annihilate his empire, or the molehill he tries to make look like one.

Remember that Trump only cares about the Presidency inasmuch as it helps him rake in cash.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:14 AM   #86
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Now, wait a minute. Why would this ban Trump from the ballot? Trump has said he wants to release his taxes, has he not? Once he finds out that being under audit by the IRS does not prevent that, the solution seems obvious and trivial.
Old 7th May 2019, 04:25 AM   #87
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Now, wait a minute. Why would this ban Trump from the ballot? Trump has said he wants to release his taxes, has he not? Once he finds out that being under audit by the IRS does not prevent that, the solution seems obvious and trivial.
He's changed his tune from can't release because of audit to won't release because of audit. Effectively, though, it's the IRS banning Trump from being on the California ballot.........never Trump's fault.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 04:28 AM   #88
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He's changed his tune from can't release because of audit to won't release because of audit. Effectively, though, it's the IRS banning Trump from being on the California ballot.........never Trump's fault.
Well, that appears to remain Trumpís decision.
Old 7th May 2019, 05:35 AM   #89
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It seems very unlikely to affect Trump at all (despite the thread title), unless he's in a real battle for the GOP nomination in 2020 Yes, if there is no incumbent Republican (say in 2024) it might have an impact. But the party could always circumvent the issue by declaring that they will not have a primary, but a caucus.
So I suppose that you accept the bill as unremarkable, at worst a waste of time?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 05:42 AM   #90
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Well, that appears to remain Trumpís decision.
He makes all the decisions, but it's never his fault if there is a negative connotation.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 01:50 PM   #91
desmirelle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Her fainting spells? Oh come on. Standing in the heat for too long can cause a person to faint. End of story. I don't recall any spells, plural.

What are you going to see in Trump's medical report? He hires crony doctors just like he appoints cronies to his Cabinet.
Okay, I should have said staggering and being helped into vehicles on more than one occasion, some shown on Network news (from the left and right). Some reported in print. But if she's unable to stand in "the heat" for too long, she'd have certainly not lasted long as POTUS. That's nothing but heat.

Medical exams would be done by the same doctors to avoid "crony" claims from both right and left. Of course, it will never pass because the left and right refuse to cooperate with one another. It's like watching a redneck family reunion.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:27 PM   #92
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
So I suppose that you accept the bill as unremarkable, at worst a waste of time?
False dichotomy, its is a remarkable waste of time.

I can agree with that narrative.
Taht makes me regret my earlier snark in your direction.
Quote:
I'm still leaning toward the narrative they really are trying to get him to reveal those returns.
This makes me think you aren't that familiar with CA poltics.
Quote:
One or the other, or both, I think are valid narratives.

Last edited by ahhell; 7th May 2019 at 02:30 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:32 PM   #93
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Okay, I should have said staggering and being helped into vehicles on more than one occasion, some shown on Network news (from the left and right). Some reported in print. But if she's unable to stand in "the heat" for too long, she'd have certainly not lasted long as POTUS. That's nothing but heat.

Medical exams would be done by the same doctors to avoid "crony" claims from both right and left. Of course, it will never pass because the left and right refuse to cooperate with one another. It's like watching a redneck family reunion.
That's ******** too. So someone helped her not trip.

What is this supposed to suggest anyway, that she has a terminal disease?
Old 7th May 2019, 02:44 PM   #94
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
False dichotomy, its is a remarkable waste of time.
A remarkable waste of time is a waste of time, so your implication that I was guilty of a false dichotomy (when I didn't suggest any disjunction at all) is a bit mystifying.

Last edited by phiwum; 7th May 2019 at 02:46 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:14 PM   #95
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

A remarkable waste of time is a waste of time, so your implication that I was guilty of a false dichotomy (when I didn't suggest any disjunction at all) is a bit mystifying.
Like the bullets at Balaklava....

While not nom worthy (I Has Spoken!) it was a play on words, riffing off your sentence including but the word "unremarkable" and the phrase "waste of time". It was also a play on the typical nit-picky debates we get around here.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:04 AM   #96
ahhell
Master Poster

Perhaps it would have been more clear if you realized it was a joke?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:35 AM   #97
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's ******** too. So someone helped her not trip.

What is this supposed to suggest anyway, that she has a terminal disease?
Drunkenness! Or perhaps, being a lady, she's subject to fits of the vapors and requires a fainting couch.

I love how Clinton can simultaneously be criticized for being too tough and too delicate. She must be a classic "glass cannon"!
Old 8th May 2019, 08:24 AM   #98
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Perhaps it would have been more clear if you realized it was a joke?
Okay, but the claim that it was a false dichotomy was silly to begin with. I wasn't offering a dichotomy. I was drawing a tentative conclusion based on Brainster's statements, not saying that an opponent of the bill is committed to either claiming it is unconstitutional (or something) or just a waste of time.

There are plenty of other criticisms of the bill. In fact, I may be sympathetic to some of them.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:05 AM   #99
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Drunkenness! Or perhaps, being a lady, she's subject to fits of the vapors and requires a fainting couch.

I love how Clinton can simultaneously be criticized for being too tough and too delicate. She must be a classic "glass cannon"!
I remember how TBD tried to claim Clinton was an alcoholic based on someone saying some bad news would "sober her up." I love far left and far right types sharing silly memes like that, it really shows the quality of the accuser.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 09:25 AM   #100
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I remember how TBD tried to claim Clinton was an alcoholic based on someone saying some bad news would "sober her up." I love far left and far right types sharing silly memes like that, it really shows the quality of the accuser.
Hillary Clinton's grandmother put witch hazel on cuts for disinfectant, which proves a multigenerational pact with Satan for powers!
Old 8th May 2019, 11:29 PM   #101
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

These might have been pointed out because I got bored and skipped a bunch of posts, but...

a) Even if this law was passed and survived challenge, it would be highly unlikely to affect Trump anyways as it it exceedingly rare for a sitting President to face a Primary Challenge, and so there is unlikely to be a Republican Primary in California in 2020.

b) Even if this law was passed and survived challenge, and there is a Republic Primary Challenge or Trump was defeated in 2020 and decided to re-run in 2024, it doesn't ban him from being on the Ballot. He would just have to comply with the law to do so.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 04:29 AM   #102
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
b) Even if this law was passed and survived challenge, and there is a Republic Primary Challenge or Trump was defeated in 2020 and decided to re-run in 2024, it doesn't ban him from being on the Ballot. He would just have to comply with the law to do so.
It would actually be only the primary ballot that Trump must comply with this law or not be listed. So, even if he were primaried but still chose not to release his taxes, if he won the nomination he would still be listed on the general ballot.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 11:50 AM   #103
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The fact Trump is now bleating "NO DEM DO-OVERS!" indicates he does have something to hide and he knows it all too well. Because he believes that what is hidden could well end his presidency on the spot. Hence the (mistaken) notion that Hillary, a Democrat, would automatically replace him as a result. Because of course he doesn't understand the presidential election process nor the official line of presidential succession. Or he does but he is playing that line to his base, who are dumber than the box the hammers came in.
Way too true and well spoken!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics