ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , David Ralston , David Shell , Georgia politics , politics scandals

Old 17th February 2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Geogia Speaker of the House Abuses his Position to Delay Criminal Trials

Alleged victims say powerful Georgia lawmaker repeatedly delays cases

Quote:
David Shell has a long record of beating up women.

He once beat his ex-wife so badly she blacked out, her left eye nearly swollen shut, then he locked her in their home so she couldn’t reach a hospital, she said.

Yet more than four years after his indictment, Shell remains a free man, the charges against him stymied. A big reason: He paid a large retainer fee to hire an attorney who is also one of Georgia’s most powerful lawmakers, state Speaker of the House David Ralston.

Just as Ralston has done for other clients charged with violent or heinous crimes, he used his elected position to delay hearings and court dates, preventing the case from moving forward in the Gilmer County justice system.

“That’s why I gave him 20,000 bucks,” Shell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “He’s worth every penny of it.”

Ralston has tied up cases for clients charged with child molestation, child cruelty, assault, terroristic threats, drunk driving and other crimes.
What a corrupt monster.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:24 PM   #2
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That article is amazing.
Old 17th February 2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That article is amazing.
I can't believe David Shell went on record and basically said, "Yep, he told he he could delay my case by abusing his power and I paid him $20,000 to do that.” Extraordinary.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 05:51 PM   #4
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I can't believe David Shell went on record and basically said, "Yep, he told he he could delay my case by abusing his power and I paid him $20,000 to do that.” Extraordinary.
This guy should be in prison and I'm not talking about Shell.
Old 17th February 2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Best politicians money can buy!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #6
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This guy should be in prison and I'm not talking about Shell.
Why not both?
Old 17th February 2019, 07:07 PM   #7
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Why not both?
Sure, but it sounds as if the Speaker is the more treacherous criminal.
Old 17th February 2019, 07:14 PM   #8
Arcade22
Philosopher

In these dark times this kind of upfront honesty is uplifting. Of course it may not have been the smartest decision to basically acknowledge that he paid someone to successfully stall his legal proceedings...
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 07:28 PM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I think the rest of the Bar can revoke his license.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2019, 09:58 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No worries.

He a Repugnican, so some of the forum's usual suspects will be along soon enough to defend this pig.
Old 18th February 2019, 07:39 AM   #11
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
No worries.

He a Repugnican, so some of the forum's usual suspects will be along soon enough to defend this pig.
Oh no, that's not how they work around here. The standard tactic is to claim that the offending GOPer is a nobody with zero influence.

Same thing they say when the 30th Republican state senator this week gets caught using racial slurs or saluting Hitler.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

Isn't that illegal? I mean he has a clear conflict of interests.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 07:42 AM   #13
Belz...
Fiend God

He [is] a Repugnican
I see my suggestion has caught on.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 07:46 AM   #14
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't that illegal? I mean he has a clear conflict of interests.
Not in Georgia.

Quote:
Under a state law dating back to 1905, judges and prosecutors must defer to the legislative schedule of any practicing attorney who serves in the General Assembly. Other attorney-lawmakers, though, are mainly relegated to claiming the exemption during the annual 40-day legislative sessions.
Old 18th February 2019, 07:53 AM   #15
Belz...
Fiend God

Not in Georgia.
Sorry, what does that mean?

Old 18th February 2019, 08:00 AM   #16
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, what does that mean?
Old law to allow legislators to continue to be practicing attorneys has unintended consequences. What constitutes the legislative schedule of the Georgia house has been so expanded that he claims anything to delay trials.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Old law to allow legislators to continue to be practicing attorneys has unintended consequences. What constitutes the legislative schedule of the Georgia house has been so expanded that he claims anything to delay trials.
I see. I'd say it's time to change that law, but oviously that won't happen with the legislators being practicing lawyers.

Old 18th February 2019, 08:09 AM   #18
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I see. I'd say it's time to change that law, but oviously that won't happen with the legislators being practicing lawyers.
It'd probably be easier to amend the law to prevent the same cases from continually being delayed using the law.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:14 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
"Why am I explaining the law to you? How many lawyers are at this table right now? Raise your hands."

*Of the 15 men sited at the table, 10 go up, including the man asking the question and the man the questioned was addressed to*

"Dear Lord it's worse then I thought."
I should note that the person I am quoting is Gerhard Klopfer (primary assistant to Martin Borman, head of the Nazi Party) talking to Wilhelm Stuckart, the man who wrote Germany's anti-Jewish laws at the Wansee Conference where they were debating the legality of the Holocaust.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 08:35 AM   #20
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I should note that the person I am quoting is Gerhard Klopfer (primary assistant to Martin Borman, head of the Nazi Party) talking to Wilhelm Stuckart, the man who wrote Germany's anti-Jewish laws at the Wansee Conference where they were debating the legality of the Holocaust.
Isn't that from the movie "Conspiracy"?

Old 18th February 2019, 08:39 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Isn't that from the movie "Conspiracy"?
Yeah. Not sure how historically accurate it is, but the broader point that the Nazi got a lot of mileage of putting lawyers into power to right laws is accurate.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It'd probably be easier to amend the law to prevent the same cases from continually being delayed using the law.
That would require action by the legislature. The jerk is Speaker of the House there.
Old 18th February 2019, 08:43 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Does the Constitutional right to a speedy trial only apply voluntarily? I mean, if the accused wants the trial they can pursue a case that it's being improperly delayed. But can that same speedy trial thing be applied even if the accused would prefer to delay it forever?
Old 18th February 2019, 08:49 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Does the Constitutional right to a speedy trial only apply voluntarily? I mean, if the accused wants the trial they can pursue a case that it's being improperly delayed. But can that same speedy trial thing be applied even if the accused would prefer to delay it forever?

Nope. Zedner V. United States, 2006.

Quote:
The Court unanimously held that the defendant was correct; one may not prospectively waive one's rights under the Speedy Trial Act. Justice Alito wrote that the purpose of the Act is not simply to protect the defendant's rights, but to protect the public's interest in a speedy trial. For that reason, the Act excludes certain delays even at the request of the defendant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zedner_v._United_States
Old 19th February 2019, 07:12 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That would require action by the legislature. The jerk is Speaker of the House there.
Hmm maybe have the victim sue him for violating their right to a speedy trial under the constitution? Of course this is not exactly going to be an easy or cheap lawsuit.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:17 AM   #26
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hmm maybe have the victim sue him for violating their right to a speedy trial under the constitution? Of course this is not exactly going to be an easy or cheap lawsuit.
And he can keep postponing that trial too!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 07:26 AM   #27
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
And he can keep postponing that trial too!
In federal court?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:25 AM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

Not in Georgia.
What about in Geogia?

Geogiaaaa ... Geogiaaaaa ... da hoooo dey thooooooo.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:45 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
What about in Geogia?

Geogiaaaa ... Geogiaaaaa ... da hoooo dey thooooooo.
I prefer

"Hurrah! Hurrah!
We bring the Jubilee
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The Flag That Sets You Free
So we sang the Chorus From Atlanta to the Sea
As we were Marching Through Georgia!"

I love singing that song just because the Neo Confederates hate it so much...

And, I repeat, Georgia really needs another little visit from General Sherman and his "Bummers".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 05:53 AM   #30
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I like it.

My suggestion is "anti-democratic"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 09:47 AM   #31
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

He [is] a Repugnican
It's punchier than my proposal, "anti-Democratic"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 10:18 AM   #32
Stacyhs
Philosopher

We could retire in the South and have a much higher standard of living... more bang for our buck. But the only problem with this is that we'd have to live in the South. Cain't do it. Just cain't do it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 02:25 PM   #33
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by beren View Post
Why not both?
Thanks - and well said - saved me the trouble!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 02:31 PM   #34
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I prefer

"Hurrah! Hurrah!
We bring the Jubilee
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The Flag That Sets You Free
So we sang the Chorus From Atlanta to the Sea
As we were Marching Through Georgia!"

I love singing that song just because the Neo Confederates hate it so much...

And, I repeat, Georgia really needs another little visit from General Sherman and his "Bummers".
Sounds like you might just be right there!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 02:33 PM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Sounds like you might just be right there!!
Not to mention, I believe it is now even more correct to refer to those rectums and neonutzis. .

Wash this space!

Old 12th May 2019, 02:07 PM   #36
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Is acting as your personal lawyer, who happens to also be in governmental power, then using that power to protect you, something doesn't seem right about that.

I don't see why bribery laws wouldn't apply, except in the rare case where the official is acting under a (state) constitution's directly assigned power, such that the legislature cannot attach strings to its execution. Even then it might apply to the tit-for-tat agreement (whether eventually executed or not), even though the actual actions would not be invalid.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics