ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ivanka Trump

Old 18th November 2016, 06:21 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Queen Ivanka

Quite funny that she and Chelsea Clinton are/were pals, but it looks as though she's setting herself up nicely as Queen of the Clan.

The official photo in this piece, released by the Japanese gov't shows The King, The Queen and her Prince Consort Kushner + no sign of the trophy wife or puppies.

I think it's time dear Ivanka has her own thread.

This woman, who I'd bet knows as little about her voters as Paris Hilton does about quantum physics, seems to have an immense amount of power thanks to her "relationship" with daddy, who would totally be porking her.
Old 18th November 2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Her voters?
Old 18th November 2016, 07:07 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yes, her voters.

Didn't they vote for the Trump Family? Wasn't she out there exhorting people to vote for daddy?
Old 18th November 2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Her voters?
Don't stop him now, he's just getting warmed up.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 07:16 PM   #5
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

But could well be at a minimum partly correct!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 07:39 PM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Don't stop him now, he's just getting warmed up.
I can only guess that you're delighted Ivanka ranks in front of FLOTUS in talking to foreign dignitaries. And not just any foreign dignitary, the Prime Minister of Japan, which I'd say in 2016 is USA's second-best friend and second-most important ally after the UK.
Old 18th November 2016, 07:53 PM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Yes, her voters.

Didn't they vote for the Trump Family? Wasn't she out there exhorting people to vote for daddy?
They?
Old 18th November 2016, 09:54 PM   #8
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I can only guess that you're delighted Ivanka ranks in front of FLOTUS in talking to foreign dignitaries. And not just any foreign dignitary, the Prime Minister of Japan, which I'd say in 2016 is USA's second-best friend and second-most important ally after the UK.
No, I don't delight in that, just in you getting your knickers in such a twist that you think she was on the ballot.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 11:06 PM   #9
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It's nice to see ordinary American citizens getting involved in politics. Heck, I might have a thing or two to say to the Japanese myself.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 11:19 PM   #10
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Now that Donald is PEOTUS he has handed his business interests over to a blind trust run by Ivanka. She was there to represent those interests. Maybe they want a Trump tower in Tokyo?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 05:49 AM   #11
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Now that Donald is PEOTUS he has handed his business interests over to a blind trust run by Ivanka. She was there to represent those interests. Maybe they want a Trump tower in Tokyo?
It's not a blind trust. There's nothing independent about a family member managing your assets. They're just showing off the massive conflict of interest the situation represents.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 07:29 AM   #12
sylvan8798
Master Poster

During the campaign, the message to "The Donald" was that he could do or say anything and his supporters didn't care. He even said it - "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters." Why would he not go into the presidency with the same attitude?

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 11:10 AM   #13
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
They?
The 48, 000,000 people or so who voted for King Trump. Or is it Emperor Trump? I forget, sorry.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No, I don't delight in that, just in you getting your knickers in such a twist that you think she was on the ballot.

You know, there are times when being a skeptic must make people stand and laugh at you, just as I sat and laughed at your utterly absurd attempt to make an issue out of the fact that Ivanka wasn't actually contesting the election.

It's exactly the kind of attitude that displays why America got Trump.

Thanks very much.

(I'm still chuckling - that's bloody funny)

Originally Posted by sylvan8798 View Post
During the campaign, the message to "The Donald" was that he could do or say anything and his supporters didn't care. He even said it - "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters." Why would he not go into the presidency with the same attitude?
There is someone who gets it.

If there's one thing becomes more painfully obvious every day, it is that America deserves Trump.

Fortune gets it.

Quote:
Ivanka Trump at Japanese Prime Minister Meeting Was 'Out of a Tin Pot Oligarchy'
Marina Hyde at The Guardian also gets it.

Quote:
Has ground been broken on Melania Trump’s auto-parodic anti-bullying initiative yet? Only I can’t help feeling the second lady could kick things off with a case close to home. “Dear Me. I believe my husband is gaslighting me. It’s more subtle than the lamps dimming without explanation. I mean, he’s spent years saying the only thing stopping him from coming on to his hot daughter is the fact they’re related. Then yesterday I went into the gold drawing room and found Ivanka sitting in for the meeting with the Japanese prime minister …”
And Quartz hits the nail on the head, with a glorious photo of some bimbo that not one single person voted for standing and talking confidentially to the Prime Minister of the third-richest country on the planet.

And he's not even President for another two months!
Old 19th November 2016, 12:19 PM   #14
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't Japan one of those countries where the government and business interests have been in bed together for decades?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 02:32 PM   #15
a_unique_person

The bling. Arghhh. It is blinding.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 02:33 PM   #16
Tero
Graduate Poster

She's the new Cheney.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 02:54 PM   #17
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's not a blind trust. There's nothing independent about a family member managing your assets. They're just showing off the massive conflict of interest the situation represents.
Confluence of interests, IMO.

And Quartz hits the nail on the head, with a glorious photo of some bimbo that not one single person voted for standing and talking confidentially to the Prime Minister of the third-richest country on the planet.
What makes you think Ivanka is a bimbo? And, did you mean "confidently"?

As for the plastic surgery - Ivanka looks a bit touched up as well.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 04:41 PM   #18
Cain
Straussian

Imagine if the year is 1992 and President-elect Bill Clinton meets with a foreign dignitary and Hillary hangs around to do anything other than serve tea and biscuits.
Old 19th November 2016, 07:51 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Isn't Japan one of those countries where the government and business interests have been in bed together for decades?
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Confluence of interests, IMO.

What makes you think Ivanka is a bimbo? And, did you mean "confidently"?

As for the plastic surgery - Ivanka looks a bit touched up as well.
No, I meant confidentially, and unless you can tell me what they were discussing, it is the correct description.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Imagine if the year is 1992 and President-elect Bill Clinton meets with a foreign dignitary and Hillary hangs around to do anything other than serve tea and biscuits.
She was the FLOTUS-elect at the time, so would have every reason to be there, as Melania would have in Abe's case.

If you mean Chelsea Clinton, in 1992, then you'd have an excellent analogy.
Old 19th November 2016, 08:35 PM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Merging their family business with the USA political machine. But you can trust them, really, they have the American people's interest in mind.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 08:37 PM   #21
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine the year is 2016 and the Clinton's run a charity called the Clinton Foundation......

Yet, Ivanka using daddy's political influence to make money is okay.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 08:45 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Imagine the year is 2016 and the Clinton's run a charity called the Clinton Foundation......

Yet, Ivanka using daddy's political influence to make money is okay.
The Trump children were brought up to see every event as an opportunity to make money. The entire family has no class at all.

Not yet president, yet new depths are being plumbed.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 08:56 PM   #23
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The Trump children were brought up to see every event as an opportunity to make money. The entire family has no class at all.

Not yet president, yet new depths are being plumbed.
You haven't looked at the pictures? They are all wall to wall class. The biggest, best, brightest mashup of historical class you will ever see.
Old 19th November 2016, 09:15 PM   #24
Minoosh
Philosopher

No, I meant confidentially, and unless you can tell me what they were discussing, it is the correct description.
Which still leaves me wondering why you assume she's a bimbo.

I think Donald Trump is insecure. He doesn't want to rely on his own memory regarding what is said in meetings. He doesn't want to rely on his own words if he's doing anything other than the ad lib shtick he trotted out at rallies. He trusts Ivanka and Jared, and to a somewhat lesser extent his sons. I don't think he gets why he can't have anyone he wants by his side. For probably the first time in his life he can't do exactly what he feels like doing.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2016, 02:20 AM   #25
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I lost some of that post, in which part I quoted the description for bimbo:

an attractive but unintelligent or frivolous young woman

I have no idea how smart she is but frivolous describes her life perfectly, so I'm pretty happy with it.

I think Donald Trump is insecure.
I agree entirely and have commented on the startled rabbit look he's had since realising the enormousness of his forthcoming task. He was thinking "this is easy" then is suddenly confronted by a job that makes the labours of Hercules look straightforward.

For probably the first time in his life he can't do exactly what he feels like doing.
Except he is doing exactly that.
Old 20th November 2016, 02:34 AM   #26
Minoosh
Philosopher

I lost some of that post, in which part I quoted the description for bimbo:

an attractive but unintelligent or frivolous young woman

I have no idea how smart she is but frivolous describes her life perfectly, so I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm not seeing frivolity. I see the mother of 3 kids, running a business and helping her high-profile (and high-maintenance) father as he navigates through uncharted territory.

Except he is doing exactly that.
He's trying to have things his way, of course, but there are constraints on the behavior of a POTUS which he is just now realizing.
Old 20th November 2016, 02:42 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think Donald Trump is insecure. He doesn't want to rely on his own memory regarding what is said in meetings. He doesn't want to rely on his own words if he's doing anything other than the ad lib shtick he trotted out at rallies. He trusts Ivanka and Jared, and to a somewhat lesser extent his sons. I don't think he gets why he can't have anyone he wants by his side. For probably the first time in his life he can't do exactly what he feels like doing.
Is there any evidence yet that supports he now cant do whatever he wants?
Old 20th November 2016, 02:43 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm not seeing frivolity. I see the mother of 3 kids, running a business and helping her high-profile (and high-maintenance) father as he navigates through uncharted territory.

He's trying to have things his way, of course, but there are constraints on the behavior of a POTUS which he is just now realizing.
What constraints is he now feeling?
Old 20th November 2016, 03:11 AM   #29
Cain
Straussian

She was the FLOTUS-elect at the time, so would have every reason to be there, as Melania would have in Abe's case.
It depends on the type of meeting. Maybe you're not familiar with American electoral politics in 1992. The Clintons joked about getting two presidents for the price of one, and Republicans raged that she Hillary Rodham would be an unelected, unaccountable influencer (they raged at the role she took in health-care).

Quote:
If you mean Chelsea Clinton, in 1992, then you'd have an excellent analogy.
Chelsea was a child at the time. If she sat in, then it would have been against her will.
Old 20th November 2016, 12:09 PM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It depends on the type of meeting. Maybe you're not familiar with American electoral politics in 1992. The Clintons joked about getting two presidents for the price of one, and Republicans raged that she Hillary Rodham would be an unelected, unaccountable influencer (they raged at the role she took in health-care).
Still irrelevant but interesting in pointing out the stupidity of Republicans. When did a FLOTUS not have influence with her husband?

Chelsea was a child at the time. If she sat in, then it would have been against her will.
What an interesting way your mind works. When I was 12, I'd have loved to meet a Prime Minister from another country, and it wouldn't be all that odd if another 12 yo felt the same way, but you've decided it would have been against her will.
Old 20th November 2016, 01:33 PM   #31
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Is there any evidence yet that supports he now cant do whatever he wants?
He got grief for darting out to dinner without the press pool. He can't just hire his family members at will and have them sit in on the daily national security briefing. He's probably not going to be free to dump Melania in the next 4 years, or at least I don't think he'll be worshiped as a studly man's man the way he is used to. Family or staff have had to take the Tweety out of his hands at times, but he seems to have reclaimed it.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What constraints is he now feeling?
I'm not inside his head, but the above come to mind. His blase communication style of lies piled on lies is not going to go over well with U.S. allies (or former allies, possibly, if he wants to go all-in with Russia). I don't think he's going to get away with changing his position from the beginning of a sentence to the end. In myriad ways he will be less free than he was before he got the nomination or the presidency. The additional power and pomp might make up for that, however. Also the money if he cashes in on the office as many expect.

Specifically to relate this to the topic, he is not allowed to make Ivanka or Jared his co-rulers. Even if he wanted to share his daily classified briefings, he probably wouldn't be able to remember the details.

I believe most presidents have had genuinely loyal people around them in official roles to help keep the sovereign's secrets. The way Trump has lived does not IMO inspire genuine loyalty. His family is about it. And I'm not too sure about some of them.
Old 20th November 2016, 08:02 PM   #32
Bob001
Philosopher

But those constraints are mostly the result of ordinary decency, which Trump rejects. He refused to reveal his tax returns, which has been a routine practice by every other presidential candidate for more than 40 years. He lies about matters of fact, even when video evidence proves his lies. The President is exempt from conflict-of-interest laws; he can do almost literally anything he wants, including promoting his businesses around the world, and claim it's legal. Ditching the press reveals a contempt for the public's basic right to know. With a Republican House and Senate, there are no real constraints or restraints on Trump's behavior.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 12:41 AM   #33
Cain
Straussian

What an interesting way your mind works. When I was 12, I'd have loved to meet a Prime Minister from another country, and it wouldn't be all that odd if another 12 yo felt the same way, but you've decided it would have been against her will.
I almost envy the cluelessness that powers your opinions. Maybe as a complete nobody you would have loved to meet the Prime Minister of Japan when you were 12, or more probably, you would like to now imagine it was your pre-teen disposition to quietly remain seated with old people while Nintendo beckoned. Chelsea Clinton grew up in a governor's mansion, and endured a long campaign season (where parents tried to shield her from most of the hoopla).
Old 21st November 2016, 12:43 AM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But those constraints are mostly the result of ordinary decency, which Trump rejects. He refused to reveal his tax returns, which has been a routine practice by every other presidential candidate for more than 40 years. He lies about matters of fact, even when video evidence proves his lies. The President is exempt from conflict-of-interest laws; he can do almost literally anything he wants, including promoting his businesses around the world, and claim it's legal. Ditching the press reveals a contempt for the public's basic right to know. With a Republican House and Senate, there are no real constraints or restraints on Trump's behavior.
You've got to the root of the matter, Trump simply cares not one jot about anyone else and is so self centred and egoistic that he seems actually incapable of shame.
Old 21st November 2016, 01:15 AM   #35
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Chelsea Clinton grew up in a governor's mansion, and endured a long campaign season (where parents tried to shield her from most of the hoopla).
Nonsense removed.

You do contradict yourself neatly. On one hand, they were sheltering her, yet if she'd been sitting with the Japanese PM, it would have been against her will.

It's always funny when people have no argument but are still determined to be contrary.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:07 PM   #36
Cain
Straussian

Nonsense removed.

You do contradict yourself neatly. On one hand, they were sheltering her, yet if she'd been sitting with the Japanese PM, it would have been against her will.
Spoken like a graduate from the George W. Bush school of debate -- you forgot Poland. I said she wouldn't be there; accepting your bogus premise, if she had been there, then it likely would've been against her will.

Quote:
It's always funny when people have no argument but are still determined to be contrary.
This has more to do with you being wrong at every turn. It's easy: stop saying silly things.
Old 21st November 2016, 12:47 PM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

At least the queen is going to be fabulous.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 01:02 PM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

... then it likely would've been against her will. .
So, having run out of projection you finally shift the goalposts? Still, at least you're partly admitting your error.
Old 21st November 2016, 03:34 PM   #39
a_unique_person

So, having run out of projection you finally shift the goalposts? Still, at least you're partly admitting your error.
I'm sorry. Were you taking Caine seriously?
Old 21st November 2016, 10:51 PM   #40
Cain
Straussian

The only errors are your own. If there are two reasons against something, you seem to think there's a contradiction. You're arguing like the sort moron who imitates TV lawyers: "So which one is it?" No, it's just one on top of the other. In addition to learning what a conditional statement is, you might want to read up on what it means to move goalposts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics