ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ivanka Trump

Old 21st November 2016, 11:03 PM   #41
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Is there any evidence yet that supports he now cant do whatever he wants?
Again, with asking people to prove a negative? What's got into you, Darat?
What constraints is he now feeling?
Good question. Mind reading didn't used to be believed by skeptics. Have you turned in your card? Almost seriously, who are you and where did you hide the real Darat's corpse?
You've got to the root of the matter, Trump simply cares not one jot about anyone else and is so self centred and egoistic that he seems actually incapable of shame.
My read as well. He's in it for him, which is consistent with his life to date.

The question is: will the job change the man? It takes a toll on most, and is much harder than any of them who want it understand until they are in it.

TA's rants aren't of interest to me, but the potential for conflict of interest, given the man's wealth, are. Why?

We had experience at the micro level here just under a decade ago. A local developer ended up getting elected mayor. All in all not a bad guy, but he had to recuse himself on over half of the issues at city council due to conflict of interest that he was aware of, and got accused of a number of cases of the same by his political opponents ... last I recall none of them had substance.

But that's micro level.
Trump's a few orders of magnitude up the scale. The conflict of interest is of concern, since the media nowadays are far less cordial then when, for example, the Kennedy family showed up in the White House. If you read any in depth coverage of people who knew and worked with Kennedy, you find that JFK had a very small group of people he consulted with and trusted, and his family were his closest confidants/advisers on a variety of topics.

Think about this: when the Cuban Missile Crisis was going off, JFK spent a lot of time talking with ...RFK. FFS, with a cabinet full of the so called best and brightest, his closest adviser was an inexperienced political hack.

I smell the same sort of problem with Trump. He's not a insider, and he won't trust anyone, and barely listen to anyone he has to appoint. (And seriously, who'd work for the man? No record for listening).

So in a round about way, TA's thread offers me an opening to vent: conflict of interest is likely Trump's Achille's heel.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 11:42 PM   #42
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I can only guess that you're delighted Ivanka ranks in front of FLOTUS in talking to foreign dignitaries. And not just any foreign dignitary, the Prime Minister of Japan, which I'd say in 2016 is USA's second-best friend and second-most important ally after the UK.
Interesting. Where do you rank the United States largest trading partner - Canada?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2016, 11:47 PM   #43
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Interesting. Where do you rank the United States largest trading partner - Canada?
Does it matter where TA assesses that?

It is worth considering that TA might look at things in a Pacific Rim or Pacific centric way, as he's a Kiwi.

Thus, China is big issue, and US relations with Japan, trade and otherwise, are more important than stuff out of area.

Just a thought, from someone who learned how to look at the world from the center of the Pacific Rim about 25 years ago.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:54 AM   #44
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Canada is hardly a player on the world stage in the way that UK and Japan are, and in terms of strategic importance, Canada wouldn't make the radar, although there's undoubtedly some benefit in having all the land mass to the north being an ally.

I guess you could make a case that Canada is USA's best friend, but I've yet to meet a Canadian who thought that, so I'm happy with the statement.
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:12 AM   #45
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Does it matter where TA assesses that?

It is worth considering that TA might look at things in a Pacific Rim or Pacific centric way, as he's a Kiwi.

Thus, China is big issue, and US relations with Japan, trade and otherwise, are more important than stuff out of area.

Just a thought, from someone who learned how to look at the world from the center of the Pacific Rim about 25 years ago.
No - it does not matter where TA assesses Canada. I was just curious as to his reasons. I did consider his position in the world and that was why I asked.
Our politicians like to tell us that the US is our best friend and vice versa - but the reality of the situation is much different - IMHO.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 22nd November 2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: remove off topic material and typos
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:33 AM   #46
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Canada is hardly a player on the world stage in the way that UK and Japan are, and in terms of strategic importance, Canada wouldn't make the radar, although there's undoubtedly some benefit in having all the land mass to the north being an ally.

I guess you could make a case that Canada is USA's best friend, but I've yet to meet a Canadian who thought that, so I'm happy with the statement.
Thank you for your opinion.
I have to agree that we are only convenient to the US because of our proximity and natural resources.
We are certainly only a strategic ally because of our ability to provide airspace to the US to shoot down ICBMs over our country before they arrive in US airspace.
We have no armed forces to mount anything other than a possible invasion of Iceland - but only if we arrive in Iceland while they are all in some other country watching their team play in the World Cup (assuming, of course, that the few remaining people will be hungover from their World Cup celebrations and in no condition to fight).
The only thing that may be essential to the US in the future is our water.
So no - I have never considered Canada as the United States' best friend. However - our politicians seem to think we are - or should be -but that is another story.

Old 22nd November 2016, 05:36 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

Gee, thanks. We'll remember that if you ever need our help.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:56 AM   #48
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Which still leaves me wondering why you assume she's a bimbo.
Maybe because sometimes when a misogynist sees an attractive blond girl they naturally assume she is a bimbo.

BTW what is the definition of a bimbo?
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 05:59 AM   #49
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The Trump children were brought up to see every event as an opportunity to make money.
It amazes me how we think we can know so much about people we don't really know.

You could be right.
eeyore1954 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:04 AM   #50
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Maybe because sometimes when a misogynist sees an attractive blond girl they naturally assume she is a bimbo.

On planet meXico Bimbo is a brand of bread.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:13 AM   #51
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post

In the US as well.
Though... it's a East coast thing so I've never seen it IRL.

And anyone seeing Ivanka as a bimbo, may actually be thinking of the other, rarely talked about daughter... Kelly Bundy Tiffany.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:20 AM   #52
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
We do have Bimbo Bread where I live (NY) with a little bear on the package.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:45 AM   #53
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
In the US as well.
Though... it's a East coast thing so I've never seen it IRL.

And anyone seeing Ivanka as a bimbo, may actually be thinking of the other, rarely talked about daughter... Kelly Bundy Tiffany.
I guess it's further south than Boston. Never heard of it.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:57 AM   #54
Tolls
Illuminator

It's the most common sliced bread in Spain and Portugal, from what I've seen.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:15 AM   #55
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Already asked & answered - and quoted - if you'd bothered reading.

Here it is again:

an attractive but unintelligent or frivolous young woman
Old 16th December 2016, 08:32 PM   #56
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

WaPo says: "Ivanka Trump could be the most powerful first lady ever."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.9b7b2667be68
Old 16th December 2016, 09:47 PM   #57
Minoosh
Philosopher

She's not a bimbo, she's an accomplished and charming woman. BTW the bread brand Pan Bimbo is pronounced "Pahn-BEEM-bo. A top brand in Mexico, Spain, Portugal and other countries.

I notice that plans to auction Ivanka off for a 45-minute coffee date have been scrapped. The Poor Little Rich Girl is seeing her credentials disputed even as she strives to benefit working moms. I don't think she's insincere, but she's definitely sheltered.

Melania is probably thrilled at the turn of events, and having Ivanka on board is probably OK for the country. Still, her insider status adds to concernes about conflicts of interest. IMO, Melania is doing herself a favor staying out of D.C., while Ivanka steps in as a "first lady" who will be under the microscope as the Trump team moves forward.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 11:06 PM   #58
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Incidentally, Ivanka would not be the first non-spouse to serve as White House hostess, or First Lady. Bachelor James Buchanan's niece served the role and the term First lady was actually coined for her. By all accounts, she was as charming and generous as Buchanan was inept.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 08:12 AM   #59
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's not a blind trust. There's nothing independent about a family member managing your assets. They're just showing off the massive conflict of interest the situation represents.
For all the complaining I heard over "Crooked Hillary", I've heard barely a peep about Trump's rather blatant conflicts of interest being a concern.
Old 17th December 2016, 09:01 AM   #60
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
For all the complaining I heard over "Crooked Hillary", I've heard barely a peep about Trump's rather blatant conflicts of interest being a concern.
Corruption is only problem when democrats do it.
Old 17th December 2016, 09:58 AM   #61
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Isn't Japan one of those countries where the government and business interests have been in bed together for decades?
The PM did seem to wear a biz-as-usual face. However, meaning what? Confirmation that there was, from a US perspective, an inherent conflict of interest in that meeting.

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Mind reading didn't used to be believed by skeptics...
Quote:
...My read as well.
Gee, that was quick! (/jk)

The patently obvious conflicts of interest are just that. Are there, in the end, any principles or values Republicans are not willing to abandon at the drop of a hat for money and power? Any formerly held formal positions regarding foreign and domestic affairs not for sale?
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 01:37 PM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Shoe's on the other foot now, huh? I expressed my views on the double standard more than once. I'm sorry you missed it. Maybe I'll reprise the discussion for you sometime.

Meanwhile, here's another thought I have: In their eagerness to get Crooked Hillary into the Oval Office, the progs gave up their standing to complain about Crooked Trump.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 01:56 PM   #63
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Shoe's on the other foot now, huh? I expressed my views on the double standard more than once. I'm sorry you missed it. Maybe I'll reprise the discussion for you sometime.

Meanwhile, here's another thought I have: In their eagerness to get Crooked Hillary into the Oval Office, the progs gave up their standing to complain about Crooked Trump.
More like another false equivalence: a trumped up "appearance" of a conflict of interest versus gob-stopping actual conflict of interest.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 02:17 PM   #64
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

... Crooked Hillary ...
BTW, didn't the Boy King pardon her already? Will Pence pardon him?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 04:25 PM   #65
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
More like another false equivalence: a trumped up "appearance" of a conflict of interest versus gob-stopping actual conflict of interest.
This.

Trump's "blind trust" is being managed by his own kids who are actively participating in his transition team. There is no way that is even close to someone who donated to a charity asking for a favor that may or may not have been given. And now, we're talking about one of those kids, who are running the family business, having an active role in the White House.
Old 17th December 2016, 05:34 PM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, didn't the Boy King pardon her already?
Strap in, kiddies. We're in for four years of the progs first complaining loudly whenever Trump says he's going to do a thing, and then complaining twice as loud when he decides not to do it. One can only imagine the apopleptic heights they will reach by the end of his term, when he hasn't yet got around to nuking Iran.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 08:43 PM   #67
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Incidentally, Ivanka would not be the first non-spouse to serve as White House hostess, or First Lady. Bachelor James Buchanan's niece served the role and the term First lady was actually coined for her. By all accounts, she was as charming and generous as Buchanan was inept.
Wow, that's prophetic.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 01:04 AM   #68
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

BTW, didn't the Boy King pardon her already? Will Pence pardon him?
Strap in, kiddies. We're in for four years of the progs first complaining loudly whenever Trump says he's going to do a thing, and then complaining twice as loud when he decides not to do it. One can only imagine the apopleptic heights they will reach by the end of his term, when he hasn't yet got around to nuking Iran.
Nope, the specific complaint here would be that you're trying to excuse DJT's clear conflict of interest by claiming Hillary had a conflict of interest, which even if true, would be an excuse that anyone who has raised children would recognize.
Old 18th December 2016, 07:11 AM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, the specific complaint here would be that you're trying to excuse DJT's clear conflict of interest by claiming Hillary had a conflict of interest, which even if true, would be an excuse that anyone who has raised children would recognize.
That has nothing to do with the post you quoted, nor the comment it replies to.

And no, the specific complaint is that while Trump's conflicts of interest are real and problematic, Clinton's supporters have given themselves no standing to object.
Old 18th December 2016, 07:27 AM   #70
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted, nor the comment it replies to.

And no, the specific complaint is that while Trump's conflicts of interest are real and problematic, Clinton's supporters have given themselves no standing to object.
Do you get the internet where you are? Hillary Clinton is done. You don't have to run against her any longer. This thread is about the problem you/we have to deal with, a certain Donald Trump, the president-elect, and his conflicts of interest. Peripherally, it's about why conservatives, present company included, are willing to mortgage their prior claims to the high-horse of morality and give him the benefit of the doubt as long as the power shifts away from the liberals.

'Cuz it ain't about winning power for conservatives. Trump's no conservative. It's all about beating the other guy.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 07:32 AM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You still don't really understand, do you? You're close, but you don't quite get it.
Old 18th December 2016, 07:34 AM   #72
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

You still don't really understand, do you? You're close, but you don't quite get it.
I think many "get it" but just will not accept it. People like you think DJT should not be held responsible for his actions or words at all. It is not a reasonable position.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 07:52 AM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think many "get it" but just will not accept it. People like you think DJT should not be held responsible for his actions or words at all. It is not a reasonable position.
"People like you"?

Oh, I think he should be held accountable. Just not by Hillary's supporters.
Old 18th December 2016, 08:14 AM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"People like you"?

You do realize the president is supposed to serve the entire country, not just the portion that voted for him?
Old 18th December 2016, 08:26 AM   #75
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

"People like you"?

So you're into this zero-sum thing? You meanies lost so you're not going to have a say because you supported Hillary.

Isn't the great hue and cry out there about dismissing the beliefs and opinions of half the country? Or does that only apply to arrogant liberals who don't like bigots? Puffed up conservatives who are feeling their oats because they won the election are okay in ignoring the LOL Libruls. Losers! Whatever happened to the "president of all the people". This is an internal Republican issue now, is it?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 10:36 AM   #76
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You do realize the president is supposed to serve the entire country, not just the portion that voted for him?
I don't think the PEOTUS gets that which is a greater concern.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 10:48 AM   #77
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That is meaningless. The only referendum on the president are elections (even the ones between presidential ones). A president that serves everyone does not achieve materially better results than one that serves only their voters and wins the same elections.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 10:50 AM   #78
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
...This thread is about the problem you/we have to deal with, a certain Donald Trump, the president-elect, and his conflicts of interest...
*Ahem*

I know it gets confusing, with all the threads about Trump, but this is the one about Queen Ivanka.

Her power grab, the insane hold she has over her father, whether her selling of baubles to rich people constitutes gravitas or frivolity - who is equally insane, but that's not the point. - and her husband, who also seems to hold an inordinate amount of power. Still, I guess the position of husband of the first lady has few rules.

While I try to avoid most of the news involving any Trump, you do see the links to the stories and I can't say I recall Melania even being mentioned since they said she was staying in NY with Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Has anyone done a poll on Queen Ivanka's popularity? 50/40, according to one small sample.

And that was back at the start of August, before she took centre stage. Betcha it's 60+ right now. Heck, I'd even have a chocolate fish on 70+.
Old 18th December 2016, 07:30 PM   #79
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

*Ahem*

I know it gets confusing, with all the threads about Trump, but this is the one about Queen Ivanka.

Her power grab, the insane hold she has over her father, whether her selling of baubles to rich people constitutes gravitas or frivolity - who is equally insane, but that's not the point. - and her husband, who also seems to hold an inordinate amount of power. Still, I guess the position of husband of the first lady has few rules.

While I try to avoid most of the news involving any Trump, you do see the links to the stories and I can't say I recall Melania even being mentioned since they said she was staying in NY with Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Has anyone done a poll on Queen Ivanka's popularity? 50/40, according to one small sample.

And that was back at the start of August, before she took centre stage. Betcha it's 60+ right now. Heck, I'd even have a chocolate fish on 70+.
Ahem "Queen Ivanka" doesn't exist.... as an entity or as a problem if there's no President Trump. She's the point person for his neo-robber-baron capitalism approach. If there was no President Trump we wouldn't be discussing "Queen" Ivanka and she'd be on Page Six with the other gossip celebrities, with the mouth-breathing public guessing as to whether she's had a nose job and a chin job or just botox for the cheek bones,.... you know, important stuff American Style.

Old 18th December 2016, 10:57 PM   #80
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ahem "Queen Ivanka" doesn't exist.... as an entity or as a problem if there's no President Trump. She's the point person for his neo-robber-baron capitalism approach. If there was no President Trump we wouldn't be discussing "Queen" Ivanka and she'd be on Page Six with the other gossip celebrities, with the mouth-breathing public guessing as to whether she's had a nose job and a chin job or just botox for the cheek bones,.... you know, important stuff American Style.
However, she is the president-elect's daughter and seems to be taking on FLOTUS status and more.

"Wrapping daddy around her little finger" I think it the traditional phrase.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics