ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nra , NRA issues

Old 24th July 2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

What is the NRA up to these days?

The NRA is making videos these days that seem to only peripherally be about guns or gun laws.

In the latest one there is this rant against the Washington Post.

Quote:
The Washington Post isnít mad about the lack of guns, itís upset about the abundance of truth: the truth about their role in the organized anarchy of the violent left by spreading lies about those who disagree with their radical agenda, while refusing to cover the extremist beliefs and tactics of people like Carmen Perez, Deray McKesson, and liberal politicians like Al Franken and Chuck Schumer, who refuse to condemn them.
I'm not really sure who Carmen Perez or Deray McKesson are or why Al Franken and Chuck Schumer are singled out as needing to condemn them. But I'm intrigued by their notion of "organized anarchy" which is something that not only supposedly exists but is part of the Left agenda. Now I'm a politically active leftist by admission and I will have to admit that I've never heard the term "organized anarchy" at any point.

Quote:
Listen to me, Washington Post. In fact, Iím telling every leftist media propaganda machine defending the violent left to hear what Iím about to say: We talk about more than guns because every freedom is connected. If one is threatened, they all are threatened. And the organized anarchy that you and your politicians and your activists are pushing is destroying our country.

Itís why we will never stop fighting the violent left on the battlefield of truth.
And so we now move onto an allegation that Leftist media is defending some purported "violent left". Yes how violent it is to want less police brutality, less war, less crime and less class injustice. Just so, so violent to want a better world for everyone.

And, again, we hear about the "organized anarchy" thingy.

So, anyways, can we just stop pretending that the NRA is about gun rights?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Ranb
Philosopher

The NRA pumps me for cash on a regular basis; they aren't getting any from me. Meanwhile I've been trying to get them to respond to current events (or explain why they won't) such as the police gunning down people who are engaging in (insert any legal activity here). But it's like trying to talk to the sales manager of a car dealership after one of their salesmen tried to rip you off.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 24th July 2017 at 07:48 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Sure, right after we stop pretending that gun control is about crime.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:59 PM   #4
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Sure, right after we stop pretending that gun control is about crime.
Do tell.
What's it about?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Mumbles
Philosopher

I'm not really sure who Carmen Perez or Deray McKesson are or why Al Franken and Chuck Schumer are singled out as needing to condemn them. But I'm intrigued by their notion of "organized anarchy" which is something that not only supposedly exists but is part of the Left agenda. Now I'm a politically active leftist by admission and I will have to admit that I've never heard the term "organized anarchy" at any point.
Carmen Perez - IIRC, founding member of the Justice League, a group which seeks to address mistreatment of young women and girls in the criminal justice system. I mostly know of them because they're working to prevent underaged prisoners from being sent to Riker's Island for trivial offenses (you may recall the case of Kalief Browder, who was housed there for three years without trial, beginning at age 16, on suspicion of stealing a backpack, and who recently took his own life in part due to his experiences there.)

Deray McKesson - Teacher, school administrator, and cofounder of Campaign Zero, which pushes a set of police and criminal justice reform aimed at lowering police violence and strengthening police-community relations. Currently co-hosts the podcast Pod Save the People. Famous for tweeting videos of Ferguson protests and police violence.

IOW, nobody who anyone reasonable would condemn.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:46 PM   #6
Minoosh
Philosopher

Gun sales are down, since the Dems aren't coming to take your guns anymore, and also deer season was warmer than usual so deer weren't as active and hunting wasn't as good. The NRA may just be looking for alternative narratives to keep sales up. Plain anarchy isn't enough, but organized anarchy - well, I shudder to think.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:53 PM   #7
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Do tell.
What's it about?
At a rough guess, guns and/or control.

It's right there in the label
Old 24th July 2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Travis

They want two random Senators to condemn people who don't like mistreatment of youth offenders and someone pushing police reform?

Incredible.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:56 PM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Do tell.
What's it about?
It's about infringing upon the rights of real americans to shoot minorities.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Ranb
Philosopher

Do tell.
What's it about?
Well, I've been trying to get my state level legislators to tell me what it's about after they admitted their last gun ban in 1994 was about placating those who wanted major restrictions instead of doing anything about crime at all. I mean really, when was the last time you heard of anyone committing a violent crime with a registered SBS or SBR?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 08:05 PM   #11
GodMark2
Master Poster

<snip> Now I'm a politically active leftist by admission and I will have to admit that I've never heard the term "organized anarchy" at any point. <snip>
Well, I have heard the term before. It was referring to those ***-hats that show up to just about any organized rally looking to use the gathered crowd as cover to indulge their deep-seated desire for wanton destruction. The ones that show up to a "Doggy ballerinas marching against cancer" rally wearing full face protection and tactical camos. The ones caught on camera throwing bricks at store windows and/or police officers, that run away immediately and can't be identified due to said face 'protection'.

But I don't think that's what the NRA had in mind.
Old 24th July 2017, 08:11 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Gun sales are down, since the Dems aren't coming to take your guns anymore, and also deer season was warmer than usual so deer weren't as active and hunting wasn't as good. The NRA may just be looking for alternative narratives to keep sales up. Plain anarchy isn't enough, but organized anarchy - well, I shudder to think.
My guess is that you are correct.

But what with the national level debacle quieting down, they are at last sponsoring a 2A suit here in California.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 08:13 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

The NRA is making videos these days that seem to only peripherally be about guns or gun laws.

In the latest one there is this rant against the Washington Post.

And so we now move onto an allegation that Leftist media is defending some purported "violent left". Yes how violent it is to want less police brutality, less war, less crime and less class injustice. Just so, so violent to want a better world for everyone.

And, again, we hear about the "organized anarchy" thingy.

But did anybody here watch those links? NRA, or some whacky member, ot not even a member? They sound a bit far out for a polished organization like the NRA. Something seems a bit fishy.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 09:34 PM   #14
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
But did anybody here watch those links? NRA, or some whacky member, ot not even a member? They sound a bit far out for a polished organization like the NRA. Something seems a bit fishy.
Of course it's the NRA. The NRA has a YouTube channel. The spokespeople in both videos appear to be furious. Maybe it's a bid for donations? That's not what it says, though. The Washington Post becomes an object of hatred in the 2nd. A reporter is attacked for a word in a headline. The word is "dark," and whether the reporter used it or not, it's wholly appropriate to describe the tone of the video. That's it: The word "dark" in a headline sets off what appears to be a genuine case of rage or even hatred.

It would be great if the NRA said, "Let's do something about climate change, so future sportsmen can enjoy hunting." But it can't say that. Right now it's locked into a narrative about the fake media which is all wrapped up with the belief climate change is a hoax. Hunting is not my thing, but if sportsmen, sportswomen and various hungry people want to preserve habitat in order to save hunting that's OK with me. But these videos seem to be about paranoia.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 10:01 PM   #15
Mumbles
Philosopher

They want two random Senators to condemn people who don't like mistreatment of youth offenders and someone pushing police reform?

Incredible.
Ah. Right. You wouldn't know if you didn't recognize the names.

No, the activists are both connected to Black Lives Matter, which is apparently going to be their new way to terrify gun nuts* into buying another dozen expensive rifles and a pallet of ammo. Sales are down now that Obama and Eric Holder are both out of office, apparently.

*: No disrespect intended to responsible gun owners.

ETA: It helps that Perez is Hispanic (obviously), and McKesson is black. Deray, in particular, has a wealth of lunatic conspiracy theories surrounding about him among the usual subjects.

Last edited by Mumbles; 24th July 2017 at 10:39 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 10:38 PM   #16
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
At a rough guess, guns and/or control.

It's right there in the label

But which side applied that label? That's kind of important.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:47 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I thought I might find the answer to the OP with a simple Google search for "What's behind the NRA's new campaign"

Instead I found explanations or descriptions of new multiple extreme right wing NRA campaigns pretty much every year for a while now. I'll let people look at the 2014, 15, & 16 campaigns on your own: Sandy Hook, Benghazi, the pattern is clear. Here's a discussion of the 2017 campaign:

The NRA Warns Hunters to Prepare for War
Quote:
An aggressive new ad campaign tries to pit sportsmen against "perverted" animal lovers...

The gun group is rolling out a new ad campaign geared toward hunters, a segment of firearm owners whose concerns have been eclipsed as the NRA transformed into a political powerhouse and threw its weight behind fights over self-defense and access to weapons. To sway its audience, the NRA is deploying its favorite tactic. It is trying to scare them.
Here's The Story Behind That NRA Ad In Your Facebook Feed
Quote:
If you've been on Facebook recently, you might have noticed a rather jarring ad asking you to join the National Rifle Association. You know which Facebook ad I'm talking about — the one with conservative radio host and author Dana Loesch looking straight into the camera against a dark blue background, talking about "fake news" and "Hitler." Yeah, about that... here's the story behind that NRA ad in your Facebook feed. You might want to sit down, because it's not pretty.

The NRA ad begins, "They use their media to assassinate real news. They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler" — and then it just gets more intimidating from there. In between lines of Loesch's menacing monologue are clips of the exterior of The New York Times building and various protest clashes with police, and even the bloodied face of a man wearing a Trump campaign t-shirt. (Though there's no sign of the dozens of people who have been attacked by Trump supporters.)
Seems like they feel the need to up the fear mongering every year, probably they've found it gets donations and/or memberships to spike.

Or, an alternative explanation, just like the TEA Party has been taking over the GOP, the same right wing extremists pretty much run the NRA.

Or, maybe we are just seeing another extension of the Kochs' and the Mercers' campaigns to influence political opinion like they do with astroturf groups, faux 'think tanks', and various other front groups. The NRA may just be another front group/cover for their political influence and campaign donations.

How the NRA Exerts Influence Beyond Political Contributions

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th July 2017 at 11:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:55 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ah, yes, follow the money and I swear I wrote the above post before looking at Sourcewatch to see who were the big NRA funders.

It appears that ALEC and the NRA are deeply entangled.
Quote:
ALEC, The NRA, and Machine Guns
The retail sale of machine guns has been barred by federal law since the gangster era, but at ALEC's "policy summit" in Scottsdale in December, 2011, the NRA successfully obtained the approval of the ALEC crime task force for a modified "model" bill that would ban cities from barring the sale of "machine guns," expressly. The Center for Media & Democracy documented this in its two-part special report on how the NRA's gun agenda has thrived while Koch Industries has helped lead ALEC through its seat on ALEC's corporate board and on its crime task force last year. (Koch continues to bankroll and back ALEC.)

ALEC also strongly opposed the 1994 "Assault Weapons Ban," which sought to prevent the U.S. sale of semi-automatic weapons, similar to the notorious AK-47 -- a rapid-fire style weapon that has been used in numerous mass murders in the U.S. That ban has since expired. ALEC also filed papers with the courts calling for city bans on guns to be struck down as unconstitutional. ALEC's move in January, 2012 to urge state legislators to prevent city officials from limiting access to machine guns comes in the wake of an earlier decision by new justices on the U.S. Supreme Court who struck down D.C.'s gun ban, in part at ALEC's request.

The NRA's gun agenda helps protect and expand the market for the firearms sold by the weapons companies that bankroll its multi-million dollar lobbying and influence operations. Although ALEC's crime task force no longer officially exists, ALEC is doing nothing to undo the damage done through its many years of advancing the wish list of the gun industry through laws like SYG, pushing for guns on college campuses, and even opposing codes of conduct for gun makers and sellers.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 12:55 AM   #19
Octavo
Illuminator

Responsible billionaire buys powerful lobby group and accidentally distorts its message.
Old 25th July 2017, 01:10 AM   #20
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Responsible billionaire buys powerful lobby group and accidentally distorts its message.
That logline fits the story well. Not sure if you are going for sarcasm or whether you should change 'responsible' to 'right-wing nut-job', though.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th July 2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 25th July 2017, 01:17 AM   #21
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That logline fits the story well. Not sure if you are going for sarcasm or whether you should change 'responsible' to 'right-wing nut-job', though.
I was hoping it amused some of the regulars, although I'm told that if you have to explain a joke, it probably wasn't a very good one
Old 25th July 2017, 01:31 AM   #22
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I was hoping it amused some of the regulars, although I'm told that if you have to explain a joke, it probably wasn't a very good one
S'alright - I got it
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 04:02 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Incredible.
They can't let blacks think they are people. That is against fundamental NRA dogma. So they need to keep them in their place.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 04:04 AM   #24
NoahFence
Banned

I love that everyone answered my question except the one it was directed to....
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 06:56 AM   #25
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Do tell.
What's it about?
Reducing suicides.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 07:04 AM   #26
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am sure that the NRA and the gun industry would have preferred for there to be a President Clinton since NRA donations and gun sales always increase when Democrats are in power.

However, with a President Trump, NRA donations and gun sales are considerably down from this time last year.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 07:07 AM   #27
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am sure that the NRA and the gun industry would have preferred for there to be a President Clinton since NRA donations and gun sales always increase when Democrats are in power.

However, with a President Trump, NRA donations and gun sales are considerably down from this time last year.
And recent shootings make people question if they think black people have second amendment rights. Or at least highlight that they don't think black people should own guns.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 02:43 PM   #28
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Well, I've been trying to get my state level legislators to tell me what it's about after they admitted their last gun ban in 1994 was about placating those who wanted major restrictions instead of doing anything about crime at all. I mean really, when was the last time you heard of anyone committing a violent crime with a registered SBS or SBR?

So, we should register all guns, since registered guns are never used in crimes?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 02:57 PM   #29
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

Even if they are lucky enough to have another school full of second graders gunned down, with the GOP in control of all 2 branches, the NRA can't even drum up hysteria over legislation.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 03:30 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe it was the wine last night. Don't know what I was thinking since it seems obvious to me this morning.
Old 25th July 2017, 06:19 PM   #31
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Even if they are lucky enough to have another school full of second graders gunned down, with the GOP in control of all 2 branches, the NRA can't even drum up hysteria over legislation.
Hey, dummy, there are 3 branches of the federal government.
Old 25th July 2017, 06:56 PM   #32
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, dummy, there are 3 branches of the federal government.
Alcohol, tobacco, and Firearms.

Who's bringing the chips?

But yeah. tell me how the NRA controls the BATF.
Old 25th July 2017, 07:20 PM   #33
Donal
Illuminator

Through their employees in the GOP.
Old 26th July 2017, 06:19 AM   #34
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's Mr. Right -Wing Nut-Job to you peasants!!!!! Mind how you treat your betters you lackeys and layabouts!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2017, 06:21 AM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Alcohol, tobacco, and Firearms.

Who's bringing the chips?

But yeah. tell me how the NRA controls the BATF.
Money and/or the control of it!!!! Controls way much more than it should of the government!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 09:10 PM   #36
Ranb
Philosopher

So, we should register all guns, since registered guns are never used in crimes?
No, unless all guns are SBS or SBR? The point I was trying to make is that some legislators will pass laws to restrict moral and law abiding actions based on desires other than crime control.

In this case they were giving only the law abiding gun owners the middle finger.
Old 9th August 2017, 04:08 PM   #37
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

They have to be taking the piss now.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2017, 04:11 PM   #38
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Democrats have no power at the moment, so they have to drum up fear somehow.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:23 PM   #39
Travis

Gotta arm yourself to protect your family from farmers markets.

Old 10th August 2017, 09:07 AM   #40
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's about infringing upon the rights of real americans to shoot minorities.
And about violence-shaming the Left into remaining passive and unarmed so their eventual progrom will have an easier time of it.

The members of the Cult of the Founding Fathers are scared spitless that they might find themselves on the British end of another 1776. The irony would be sweet under less dire circumstances.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics