ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Old 26th January 2018, 12:26 PM   #2161
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'd like to point out how entertaining it is to watch this thread continue. How long as Franken been gone? Yet, since it's the only possible option for any sort of moral high ground for the GOP, this horse has to been beaten so hard it's now just a puddle of hooves and teeth.

From an outside looking in, this is how both conversations look:

GOP folk: Dems ruined this guy, they made him resign, but also, he should have resigned. Watch as I come up with some other dumbass nickname for him like was done with Killary, shillary, Hildabeast, because that's what we really do well at! Schumer shutdown *wink wink*

Dems: Maybe the party jumped to conclusions too early. He should have had his day in court, but it's better to err on the side of caution. Why don't the GOP hold anyone, at all, under any circumstances, responsible including the POTUS?

GOP: OMG TU QUOQUE, TU QUOQUE

This thread is a testament to the patheticness of American partisan politics. It's sad to see this thread continue to exist, but it's a hoot reading through it. A train wreck at it's finest.
QFT
Old 26th January 2018, 06:01 PM   #2162
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
But apparently he wasn't so valuable that his fellow Democrat Senators wanted to keep him around.
Or those Senators have principles, unlike the GOP.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 06:58 PM   #2163
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Or those Senators have principles, unlike the GOP.
Some of them admit they did it in haste, without thinking, and they regret it.

It wasn't a principled move.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 06:59 PM   #2164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
... If the GOP was going to target a particular dem, they'd go for one in a purple or red state, not Minnesota.
That's a rather limited view of GOP motivation.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Nonsense. Al Franken was a thorn in the GOP's side, they hated how he grilled those idiots with difficult questions.
This was the issue, plain and simple. Franken was extremely effective as a Senator.
Old 26th January 2018, 07:01 PM   #2165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
But, he alone is responsible for what he did.
And just what did he do that was anything worth being forced out of office for?

Be careful, there are a slew of GOP legislators and the POTUS who have done much much worse and no one is calling for their resignation.
Old 26th January 2018, 07:02 PM   #2166
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Some of them admit they did it in haste, without thinking, and they regret it.

It wasn't a principled move.
Yes, for some it was a knee-jerk reaction. For others, it was principled. Also, some of them did it as a knee-jerk reaction because of their principles. It's strange how people's motivations can differ.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 01:11 AM   #2167
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The GOP did that with Weinstein? Did they use the official GOP letterhead and everything? Or did it just come from the blue-checkmark GOP Twitter account?
Sad.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 02:02 PM   #2168
plague311
Great minds think...

The Kavanaugh thread made me read through this thread for a good chuckle. It made me think though, I live in North Dakota so we get all of Minnesota's viewing ads, mostly because I live on the border so we are a shared market. I haven't seen any advertisements for Al Franken. Does this officially mean he's not going to go try getting in again? I can't seem to find much recent information.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 02:37 PM   #2169
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The Kavanaugh thread made me read through this thread for a good chuckle. It made me think though, I live in North Dakota so we get all of Minnesota's viewing ads, mostly because I live on the border so we are a shared market. I haven't seen any advertisements for Al Franken. Does this officially mean he's not going to go try getting in again? I can't seem to find much recent information.
I think my favorite part of the Kavanaugh threads was somebody arguing that because the Dems railroaded Franken, it was only fair that the Pubs railroad Kavanaugh.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2018, 04:02 PM   #2170
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I think my favorite part of the Kavanaugh threads was somebody arguing that because the Dems railroaded Franken, it was only fair that the Pubs railroad Kavanaugh.
I think you misunderstand. I think the Democrats are in the process of learning from the Republicans that integrity is a bug, not a feature. Hypocrisy wins power.
Old 7th October 2018, 05:20 PM   #2171
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I think you misunderstand. I think the Democrats are in the process of learning from the Republicans that integrity is a bug, not a feature. Hypocrisy wins power.
It wasn't integrity that railroaded Franken out of office. It wasn't integrity that left a stain on Monica Lewinsky's dress, or left Mary Jo Kopechne under a bridge. The Democrats have form from way back. They could teach a master class in hypocrisy, just from Juanita Broaddrick's "credible allegations" alone.
Old 7th October 2018, 06:47 PM   #2172
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't integrity that railroaded Franken out of office. It wasn't integrity that left a stain on Monica Lewinsky's dress, or left Mary Jo Kopechne under a bridge. The Democrats have form from way back. They could teach a master class in hypocrisy, just from Juanita Broaddrick's "credible allegations" alone.
Ya, that Democrat operative, Ken Starr ensured that Broaddrik's testimony never went to court..........

No, it's the GOP that are the masters of hypocrisy. You are dismissed.
Old 15th December 2018, 05:02 PM   #2173
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It's silly to say the "popular vote" exists as a meaningful indicator in the context in which it keeps getting trotted out. The truth is that the left has to say she won some ersatz popularity contest as a way to make sense of the fact that she lost the actual election. Hillary Clinton had one job. One. Job. Winning the "popular vote" was not that job.
One of the reasons I loathe the lousy way the electoral college is rigged and needs to be ended or made even In representation with the population of each state - none getting extra votes as several wing nut states have been getting for a very long time.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 05:08 PM   #2174
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
'slander by your lot." What "lot" is that exactly?

The women he demeaned throughout the years that ended up with him resigning in disgrace?

He was a tiny man with a grope fetish who treated women like ****, end of story.
And way more of your team have histories of that. Like trumpf but many other pieces of slime

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 05:09 PM   #2175
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Are we talking about Franken or Trump at this point?

Your blatantly partisan selective outrage is amusing, I'll give you that.
Always an obvious recognition of the truth is welcome here!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 22nd April 2019, 12:17 AM   #2176
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump the continual liar? Trump the fabulist who craves attention and approval? That guy?

I mean, take a look at the "pussy grabbing" remarks, in the context of the recent exposures. Trump is a Hollywood outsider, who's always wanted to be a part showbiz. Look at the way he finagles bit parts and walk-ons for himself, in any production he can.

So he's rubbing elbows with these Hollywood types, wishing he could be one of them, be accepted by them. Of course it'll never happen, but he can dream. And he must know about the open secrets. He knows how the bigwigs, the Matt Lauers and the Harvey Weinsteins, act. Their sense of entitlement towards women. Their shameless sexual greed. So naturally he invents a lie, a locker-room boast of the kind he imagines they make--perhaps the kind he's heard them make. It's a fable he made up, to try to fit in, to be accepted as one of them.

But I do like the idea that something is more believable because Trump said it.
I’m going to spend time considering this explanation.
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:08 AM   #2177
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Be careful, there are a slew of GOP legislators and the POTUS who have done much much worse and no one is calling for their resignation.

If you have to ask.......
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:26 AM   #2178
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
If you have to ask.......
Snappy comeback. Took a mere fifteen months to come up with it?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:35 AM   #2179
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's exactly the question I was asking, when it happened.

Quote:
And best I can tell, that seems to be the answer. "We did it to Franken, now you have to do it to all these people, too!"
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:06 PM   #2180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's exactly the question I was asking, when it happened.

And best I can tell, that seems to be the answer. "We did it to Franken, now you have to do it to all these people, too!"
That's a twisted version.

Franken should not have resigned. Whether others should resign depends on their specific case.

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.
Old 23rd April 2019, 02:18 PM   #2181
Stacyhs
Philosopher

[quote=Skeptic Ginger;12673996]That's a twisted version.

Franken should not have resigned. Whether others should resign depends on their specific case.

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.[/QUOTE]

Would that include thinking a serial adulterer-pathological liar-bullying-narcissistic man-child was sent by God to be president?
God must certainly work in mysterious ways.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 03:11 PM   #2182
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Would that include thinking a serial adulterer-pathological liar-bullying-narcissistic man-child was sent by God to be president?
I don't know anybody who thinks God sent Bill Clinton to be president.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:34 PM   #2183
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I don't know anybody who thinks God sent Bill Clinton to be president.

The desperation.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 05:18 PM   #2184
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The desperation.
The hypocrisy.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:27 PM   #2185
Venom
Master Poster

The hypocrisy.
I know, right? Evangelical Christians in my hometown would never stop talking about how Clinton had tainted the office of the President.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:55 PM   #2186
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I know, right? Evangelical Christians in my hometown would never stop talking about how Clinton had tainted the office of the President.
If you say so. I have no way of knowing, and don't really care.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:57 PM   #2187
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

If you have to ask.....part duex

Last edited by applecorped; 23rd April 2019 at 06:59 PM.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:58 PM   #2188
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Obviously you don't care about Republican hypocrisy.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

Last edited by kmortis; 25th April 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:59 PM   #2189
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Republicans are incredible hypocrites about this and other issues.
Old 24th April 2019, 08:28 AM   #2190
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Obviously you don't care about Republican hypocrisy.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
I don't care about hypocrisy in general. It's pervasive and irrelevant. Even here, you're excited about acting out exactly the bad behavior you condemn in others. And for what? Nothing at all.

Last edited by kmortis; 25th April 2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24th April 2019, 08:33 AM   #2191
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Tee hee indeed.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:08 AM   #2192
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I don't care about hypocrisy in general. It's pervasive and irrelevant. Even here, you're excited about acting out exactly the bad behavior you condemn in others. And for what? Nothing at all.
You don't care about hypocrisy? What's this, then? Boosting your post count.?

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12.

Last edited by kmortis; 29th April 2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 25th April 2019, 09:23 AM   #2193
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Tee hee indeed.
Beep boop

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:17 PM   #2194
dann
Philosopher

The hypocrisy.

It is obviously anecdotal evidence, but on the other hand, it's extremely probable so there's no real reason to doubt the veracity since that's the way that Evangelical Christians seem to think everywhere and not just in Venom's hometown:

Quote:
It is hardly necessary here to reiterate the myriad sins that Trump has openly committed or the blithe ignorance of scripture he betrayed during the presidential campaign. All that matters is that more than 80% of white evangelicals conveniently forgot their prior concern with presidential character to vote for Trump, and this faction has remained his most loyal base.
(...)
Under King Cyrus Trump, however, the religious right has laid bare its hypocrisy, and indeed its heresy. We can feel emboldened to fight our opponents like any other political movement rather than as devout believers whose direct line to the Almighty, and whose resulting presumption of moral superiority, we have no way of empirically disproving.
In revering Trump, the religious right has laid bare its hypocrisy (The Guardian, Feb. 10, 2019)

However, I guess that theprestige still doesn't care since it was never really a question of having no way of knowing.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 25th April 2019 at 09:20 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics