ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Diana Falzone , donald trump , fox news , media criticism , national enquirer

Old 19th March 2019, 08:43 AM   #161
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"what does this tell you?"
That a society whose members communicate what should be rich, complex, nuanced ideas and ideologies via cartoonish internet memes is well on its way to complete collapse.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:48 AM   #162
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That a society whose members communicate what should be rich, complex, nuanced ideas and ideologies via cartoonish internet memes is well on its way to complete collapse.
I agree totally. Wait I think I have a meme for that...

But in all serious, yes this. This X 1000.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
no doubt he'll push the "Fiscal Conservative" narrative - after having inflated the debt like never before.
Toad.
Well sure remember fiscal conservative means reveling in Fox News's core audience dying in ditches. Privatizing medicare was something he was fantasizing about in college after all.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 08:57 AM   #164
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok you put it better than I would have.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:11 AM   #165
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Paul Ryan joins Fox's board of directors
no doubt he'll push the "Fiscal Conservative" narrative - after having inflated the debt like never before.
Hey, how could he have known that massively cutting government revenue would increase the deficit?

And its not like anyone was predicting that the deficit would increase as a result of the act. Well, except for the Congressional budget office. And the Joint Committee on taxation. And pretty much every economist out there. But apart from all those people, everyone thought the deficits would magically disappear!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:13 AM   #166
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Hey, how could he have known that massively cutting government revenue would increase the deficit?
Nobody knew economics could be so complicated!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #167
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And its not like anyone was predicting that the deficit would increase as a result of the act. Well, except for the Congressional budget office. And the Joint Committee on taxation. And pretty much every economist out there. But apart from all those people, everyone thought the deficits would magically disappear!
That is what you get by reading too much Ayn Rand.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 11:04 AM   #168
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is what you get by reading too much Ayn Rand.....
did you know that when you put Atlas Shrugged and the New Testament next to each other on the shelf, they fight to the death?
Old 19th March 2019, 11:39 AM   #169
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

did you know that when you put Atlas Shrugged and the New Testament next to each other on the shelf, they fight to the death?
That's only because it's an alterboy's room.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 11:51 AM   #170
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is that anything like hanging Campbell and McDonald tartans side-by-side in the same wardrobe?
Old 19th March 2019, 12:57 PM   #171
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And of course that weird hippy Jesus guy always looses. Remember true conservatice know that the ideal person the smartest person who ever lived ever met(Rand) was of course a serial killer of children. Totally selfish and thus superior to all others.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 09:03 AM   #172
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

They're at it again.

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 09:10 AM   #173
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'm afraid I'm missing something. What are you pointing out with that photo?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 09:11 AM   #174
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The chyron that is blatantly removing the mask.
Old 31st March 2019, 09:15 AM   #175
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

The chyron that is blatantly removing the mask.
Oh, ****, how did I miss "Mexican"? I kept looking at the scrolling headline, thinking that was somehow relevant.

ETA: I'm not sure it's so much removing the mask as just a symptom of remarkable incompetence and ignorance.

Last edited by phiwum; 31st March 2019 at 09:18 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 10:47 AM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There are three Mexicos.

Or four I guess.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 31st March 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 11:28 AM   #177
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, ****, how did I miss "Mexican"? I kept looking at the scrolling headline legs, thinking that was somehow relevant.

ETA: I'm not sure it's so much removing the mask as just a symptom of remarkable incompetence and ignorance.
Fixed that for you. Seriously, if Fox put their female personalities behind a desk, they'd lose at least a third of their audience overnight.
Old 31st March 2019, 01:06 PM   #178
Minoosh
Philosopher

It's all Mexico to Fox viewers.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 01:57 PM   #179
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'll guess the bulk of the alternative phrasings would have to include the word "American"... which would raise thoughts they just didn't want to deal with.

Or some graphics dp had a brain fart. That's a doozy though.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 03:00 PM   #180
carlitos
"más divertido"

They misspelled "Messican."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2019, 06:55 PM   #181
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

They misspelled "Messican."
You never go full Kinsley Gaffe.
Old 31st March 2019, 07:17 PM   #182
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Mexico is not so much a place as a concept: Everyone who is not them who speaks differently to them. Laughingly this could include Australians. Sadly this is true.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2019, 05:52 AM   #183
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Mexico is not so much a place as a concept: Everyone who is not them who speaks differently to them. Laughingly this could include Australians. Sadly this is true.

It reminds me of my elderly mother, to whom every Asian person is "Japanese", regardless of where they're actually from.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 07:53 AM   #185
ahhell
Master Poster

Fake news, nobody ever learned anything from Hannity.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:47 AM   #186
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It reminds me of my elderly mother, to whom every Asian person is "Japanese", regardless of where they're actually from.
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Here in Norway, every person with darker skin than us Norsemen is a "Muslim". Same concept.

Or for that matter, how every Asian person was "Chinese" a decade or two ago.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:49 AM   #187
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

And that's the thing I don't get about this narrative - how can the Republicans who push it not see how much of an own-goal it is?
They understand it perfectly well, but it's a feature, not a bug. Their cultists like to be the tough, strong bad guys, and whenever someone points it out they get to gloat and smirk because they've "triggered the libs".
Old 20th April 2019, 10:22 PM   #188
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
They understand it perfectly well, but it's a feature, not a bug. Their cultists like to be the tough, strong bad guys, and whenever someone points it out they get to gloat and smirk because they've "triggered the libs".
It's a manifestation of the phenomenon of being happy to live under a bridge in a cardboard box, with a couple of sparrows on a stick for dinner. So long as the brown folk beside them have but a single sparrow for their stick.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 12:27 AM   #189
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is the unbreakable wall of Faux News' blind support for Dear Leader beginning to show some cracks?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judg...struct-justice

(video in article)
Old 26th April 2019, 12:48 AM   #190
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Looks to me that Fox is periodically taking soundings of how much backlash they get when they cease to support Trump at all costs.
The Bernie Townhall was one case, and there were others.
This is another.

Trump keeps on costing Fox advertisers, and they would love to get back to the mainstream if it doesn't cost them all their viewership.
Old 26th April 2019, 12:52 AM   #191
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Is the unbreakable wall of Faux News' blind support for Dear Leader beginning to show some cracks?
I noticed there were a few times where they disputed the White House's statements about the Mueller report, and also some negative reporting on Barr's press conference.

It's worth bearing in mind that the pro-Trump policy comes from Murdoch, and Murdoch has long been reported as not actually liking Trump and badmouthing him behind closed doors. More in the "useful idiot" category. Perhaps he thinks that Trump's usefulness is coming to an end and is starting to soften the ground a little so that, come some future revelation (congressional testimony by Mueller or someone similar, perhaps) they can start doing a "we can no longer deny that Trump is corrupt" u-turn, as if it's only now that it's been possible to put the pieces together.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:58 AM   #192
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I noticed there were a few times where they disputed the White House's statements about the Mueller report, and also some negative reporting on Barr's press conference.
Who exactly was the "they" you were referring to who was disputing the White House's statements?

I don't watch fox news myself, but from what I understand, they have always had a few people (such as Shep Smith) who are willing to challenge the Fox news Trump Love narrative. (The problem is, not only are those people few and far between, they tend not to be given priority time slots on the network. So while Hannity gets prime time to praise Trump and spread various anti-Democrat conspiracy theories, Smith gets a daytime timeslot (when ratings are lower, which happens when much of your audience is at work) to point out when Hannity's claims are nonsense.

On the other hand, there are rumors that Hannity may actually be considering leaving Fox News, because he thinks they aren't Trumpian enough...

https://hillreporter.com/hannity-to-...w-report-32917
Quote:
Host Sean Hannity has reportedly told friends that he plans to leave the network in 2021 due in part to the Murdochs’ lack of support for the president.... The relationship with Rupert Murdoch’s sons seems to be a tipping point for Hannity. He has also lost some significant allies in former network president’s Roger Ailes and Bill Shine...While not on the level of Laura Ingraham or Tucker Carlson, Hannity has lost some significant sponsors...But the main problems between Hannity and the network goes back to Lachlan and James Murdoch. James is reportedly looking to invest in some media outlets that lean more liberal than conservative.
You do have to wonder what exactly Hannity will do if he leaves the network. I can't see any non-racist main-stream network having an interest in him. (Megyn Kelly has illustrated that success on Fox News does not translate to success in real journalism.) He could follow Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly into the world of podcasts and conspiracy-theories, but his influence will be greatly reduced. Or he could jump into politics, but unless he finds a place to run that is far to the right, his polarizing nature will be a liability.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 09:02 AM   #193
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/judg...struct-justice

(video in article)
From the link (to save other people time):
Quote:
The president's job is to enforce federal law. If he had ordered its violation to save innocent life or preserve human freedom, he would have a moral defense. But ordering obstruction to save himself from the consequences of his own behavior is unlawful, defenseless and condemnable.
Old 26th April 2019, 09:04 AM   #194
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Hannity leaving in 2021 sounds like he knows that Trump is done for, and he is hoping to get a post on Trump TV then.
Old 26th April 2019, 02:13 PM   #195
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You do have to wonder what exactly Hannity will do if he leaves the network. I can't see any non-racist main-stream network having an interest in him. (Megyn Kelly has illustrated that success on Fox News does not translate to success in real journalism.) He could follow Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly into the world of podcasts and conspiracy-theories, but his influence will be greatly reduced. Or he could jump into politics, but unless he finds a place to run that is far to the right, his polarizing nature will be a liability.
As I understand it, getting fired from Fox was the best thing that ever happened to Beck, financially speaking. And Alex Jones does just fine without a network.
Old 26th April 2019, 02:37 PM   #196
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quote:
As I understand it, getting fired from Fox was the best thing that ever happened to Beck, financially speaking.
Really? I guess it shouldn't be too surprising... he supposedly started a media company after he left Fox. But, you figure the market for that sort of thing is going to get saturated.

And even if financially he may be successful, I suggested his influence may decrease as a result. Not as big an audience without Fox News.
Quote:
And Alex Jones does just fine without a network.
Again, he's got a niche that may become over-saturated.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 30th April 2019, 08:42 AM   #197
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Hannity leaving in 2021 sounds like he knows that Trump is done for, and he is hoping to get a post on Trump TV then.
Either that or he's expecting a senior post in the second Trump administration - Secretary of State perhaps ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:47 AM   #198
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Either that or he's expecting a senior post in the second Trump administration - Secretary of State perhaps ?
Terrible move: Trump has way more respect for anyone on TV than he has for anyone in his presence.
Also, being on Fox is a much more reliable method to getting to talk to Trump than being a member of the White House staff.
Old 30th April 2019, 09:59 AM   #199
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

More evidence that Trump's relationship with Fox news is a bit.. incestuous.

From: https://www.politicususa.com/2019/04...ews-trump.html
Buried in the Mueller report is an instance of the White House appearing to have the ability to tell Fox News what to cut out of their interviews with Trump.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 30th April 2019, 07:37 PM   #200
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

More evidence that Trump's relationship with Fox news is a bit.. incestuous.

From: https://www.politicususa.com/2019/04...ews-trump.html
Buried in the Mueller report is an instance of the White House appearing to have the ability to tell Fox News what to cut out of their interviews with Trump.
Wish reporters would stop using the phrase "state run news". It is far from accurate or appropriate. What they really mean is "administration-controlled propaganda unit" or plain old "Trump megaphone". It is nothing to do with the state at all.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics