ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , DCCC , democrats

Old 26th March 2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats Move to Ensure No More AOCs

One is apparently enough, as the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee promises to blacklist any consultants who work for a candidate primarying a sitting Democrat:

Quote:
Six hours after the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced that it was blacklisting firms that work with primary challengers, I met with a potential client who was considering a Democratic primary. The client told me that two consultants dropped out that morning — and now the candidate may not run at all.

The timing of the DCCC’s blacklist is not remotely coincidental. In the first quarter of an off-year, many potential candidates decide whether to jump into a race. If campaign staff dries up before day one, a once-daunting campaign can feel impossible.
The concern on the part of the DCCC is that they don't want to spend their time and money fighting other Democrats. They can also argue that going too far left will turn off centrists.

On the other hand it is just incumbent protection and rather heavy-handed at that.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I'm sitting down with a few folks who know our county/state committees and will ask what the attitude is on this.

Between this and a PAC that fights dirty for party favorites, I have a feeling it's going to get ugly (note: I intend to be an officer on a primary challenger's campaign committee).

I'd say we have about 6-8 months to fix this problem before serious decisions get made heading into the new year. If the season gets underway with this bickering, it's game over.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 26th March 2019 at 09:27 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:13 PM   #3
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I just wrote to Nancy. This move (I tracked the link backwards to the actual statements by D-trip, and it's an accurate assessment, although I'm sure that it will gain interesting 'splaining if the objections gain traction) is horrific. We can't really call it "good old boys" politics because there are some good old girls in the caucus, but it sure ain't "Democratic".

Basically, this sucks. The D-trip, the DNC and the Senatorial fund need to stay out of the primaries. I'd say that about the RNC and the GOP parallel organizations, but Trump has co-opted the RNC so yugely that it would be pointless.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 10:53 PM   #4
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Look at those liberals doing their best for the people they are supposed to represent.

Lol.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:58 PM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I just wrote to Nancy. This move (I tracked the link backwards to the actual statements by D-trip, and it's an accurate assessment, although I'm sure that it will gain interesting 'splaining if the objections gain traction) is horrific. We can't really call it "good old boys" politics because there are some good old girls in the caucus, but it sure ain't "Democratic".

Basically, this sucks. The D-trip, the DNC and the Senatorial fund need to stay out of the primaries. I'd say that about the RNC and the GOP parallel organizations, but Trump has co-opted the RNC so yugely that it would be pointless.
You want to exclude private groups from participating in primaries?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 01:04 AM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The party apparatus is not exactly an average private group; they are supposed to be the referees.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 03:50 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Gotta love establishment Democrats, they're so dedicated to making sure they lose elections the proper way.
Old 27th March 2019, 03:54 AM   #8
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Gotta love establishment Democrats, they're so dedicated to making sure they lose elections the proper way.
When are they going to learn that making the party Republican-lite isn't a winning strategy anymore?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:35 AM   #9
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
When are they going to learn that making the party Republican-lite isn't a winning strategy anymore?
They aren't going to learn that. A new party will have to form and replace them. It's a very old party, time for it to fade away.
Old 27th March 2019, 05:38 AM   #10
Belz...
Fiend God

They aren't going to learn that. A new party will have to form and replace them. It's a very old party, time for it to fade away.
That was also true 150 years ago.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:40 AM   #11
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The party apparatus is not exactly an average private group; they are supposed to be the referees.
No, they are not supposed to be referees. Political parties are private organizations.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:41 AM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't help that the GOP has veered so far right that many Republicans are now Democrats.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 08:00 AM   #13
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
No, they are not supposed to be referees. Political parties are private organizations.
Bob,

The real world is quite a different one from Bob World. Golf Clubs are private. Pee Wee Football is private. Darts tournaments are private. Ditto chess tournaments, MLB, the NBA, etc... There are numerous "private" organizations whose members/participants (and by-laws) promote fairness and an even playing field.

"Private" isn't some magical libertarian elixir that means "anything goes". Members in all the above-mentioned anticipate that the management of the clubs and organizations will run fair tournaments and competitions. (Well, except members at Trump National, I believe, where the owner had himself falsely listed as holding the club record.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 08:04 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Bob,

The real world is quite a different one from Bob World. Golf Clubs are private. Pee Wee Football is private. Darts tournaments are private. Ditto chess tournaments, MLB, the NBA, etc... There are numerous "private" organizations whose members/participants (and by-laws) promote fairness and an even playing field.

"Private" isn't some magical libertarian elixir that means "anything goes". Members in all the above-mentioned anticipate that the management of the clubs and organizations will run fair tournaments and competitions. (Well, except members at Trump National, I believe, where the owner had himself falsely listed as holding the club record.)
Determining a candidate is not a competition. That is why the term is smoke filled rooms. The room is just bigger now.
Old 27th March 2019, 08:39 AM   #15
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Determining a candidate is not a competition. That is why the term is smoke filled rooms. The room is just bigger now.
You realize they no longer smoke, right? Maybe we could go back to robber baron king-makers, too. That'd be a refreshing return to our roots.

I'm a member of the club we're speaking about. And I don't approve of this tactic. "Protect the incumbent" is a stupid and self-destructive policy.

Old 27th March 2019, 08:51 AM   #16
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You realize they no longer smoke, right? Maybe we could go back to robber baron king-makers, too. That'd be a refreshing return to our roots.

I'm a member of the club we're speaking about. And I don't approve of this tactic. "Protect the incumbent" is a stupid and self-destructive policy.
It's vape juice now.
Old 27th March 2019, 08:58 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Is it? Incumbency is a massive electoral advantage.
Old 27th March 2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Belz...
Fiend God

You realise that the DNC could just pick and choose their candidate and forego the primary process altogether, right?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:10 AM   #19
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You realise that the DNC could just pick and choose their candidate and forego the primary process altogether, right?
I actually don't know if they could. Do any states tie ballot access to a process?
Old 27th March 2019, 09:12 AM   #20
Belz...
Fiend God

I actually don't know if they could.
Well I just told you. Parties are essentially private organisations and until not so long ago didn't have open primaries and such. In fact in my view the process just complexifies the elections with little gain.

Old 27th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #21
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I am sort of perplexed how one random junior Representative has become this political litmus test, regardless of how you feel about her.

As I don't hear or know anything about all the newly elected Representatives.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:30 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I am sort of perplexed how one random junior Representative has become this political litmus test, regardless of how you feel about her.
She's not random, though. She primaried her own party's incumbent, won, and received huge media attention. That's a specific confluence of events that has to raise the eyebrows of the party establishment.

I'm not at all surprised that the party is opting not to work with campaign consultants that get involved in primarying the party's own incumbents. I'm actually a little bit surprised this hasn't been their policy all along.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:42 AM   #23
Iamafalser
Scholar

Like the Republican establishment is any better? They tried pretty damned hard to keep Trump from getting the nomination. And the case can be made that he's the only one who could have beaten Hillary.
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:43 AM   #24
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Is it? Incumbency is a massive electoral advantage.

Largely because the average congressman spends almost $80,000 per taxpayer every two years hoping for credit.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 09:55 AM   #25
Cain
Straussian

It's a Bob-bomb. That argument didn't exactly fly in the Supreme Court when Texas Democrats argued they should be allowed to hold their White Primary. Parties are semi-private (or is it semi-public?) institutions.
Old 27th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #26
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Look at those liberals doing their best for the people they are supposed to represent.

Lol.
The ones doing this are not the liberals. They're the Republican servants, trying to stop liberals from taking over.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:00 AM   #27
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
She's not random, though. She primaried her own party's incumbent, won, and received huge media attention. That's a specific confluence of events that has to raise the eyebrows of the party establishment.

I'm not at all surprised that the party is opting not to work with campaign consultants that get involved in primarying the party's own incumbents. I'm actually a little bit surprised this hasn't been their policy all along.
I want pollsters, for example, to provide the party with accurate data. A pollster that is forced to take an ideological position for or against the party is more vulnerable to influence and bias.

This move divides and corrupts the entire left-wing campaign infrastructure in this country before we even start.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:01 AM   #28
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It's a Bob-bomb. That argument didn't exactly fly in the Supreme Court when Texas Democrats argued they should be allowed to hold their White Primary. Parties are semi-private (or is it semi-public?) institutions.
A) the Democrats were not who were ruled against in this case. It was the state law.

B) This is why I do not commit to Belz's statement that parties could scrap primaries. There are a lot of states with a lot of election laws that I can't commit to a blanket statement.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:22 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I want pollsters, for example, to provide the party with accurate data. A pollster that is forced to take an ideological position for or against the party is more vulnerable to influence and bias.
I'm not seeing it.

Pollsters who are working as consultants for a campaign are doing a job. They're getting paid to provide their client with whatever it is their client is paying them for. In theory, accurate data, but anyone getting paid to provide a service is vulnerable to the impulse to give the customer a favorable impression of the service they're paying for. This is unavoidable.

What the DNC is saying is that pollsters who take on consultancy jobs for primarying incumbents will find the rest of their potential client list evaporating - regardless of the quality of the data they provide. It's not a question of taking an ideological position about their data, but about their choice of clients.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to trust a non-ideological, mercenary consultant in this scenario. Someone who switches parties, from race to race, based purely on who will pay him the most for his services, is more likely to give good quality service than someone who sticks to a particular client or client list for ideological reasons.

But whatever. The DNC is saying, "whether you're selling what your clients need to know, or selling them what they want to hear, if you don't sell it to our incumbents now, you won't sell it to our incumbents ever".

---

Side note: Does the DNC also blacklist consultants who have worked for GOP candidates in the past? Or is competing with them in a general election different from competing in a primary?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:31 AM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The ones doing this are not the liberals. They're the Republican servants, trying to stop liberals from taking over.
Let's just keep up the "we don't need no stinking centrist/moderates" stuff.
And hand Trump reelection on a silver platter.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:35 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
bUt tHe AMeRiCAn lEfT WuD bE oN tHe RIgHt iN mY cOUNtry!

*Gotdam it's hard to type that way...*

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 27th March 2019 at 10:40 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:58 AM   #32
The_Animus
Illuminator

In this case it's literally "we don't need no stinking progressives", regardless of how well liked they are or if they beat out the centrists.

This is exactly the kind of **** that causes people who would otherwise have voted democrat to stay home or vote third party.

If anything is going to hand Trump a reelection it's these sorts of oblivious despicable actions.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:07 AM   #33
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
If anything is going to hand Trump a reelection it's these sorts of oblivious despicable actions.
You say that like defeating Trump is a higher priority than defending incumbents. Evidence suggests it isn't.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:31 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If the Democrats don't like AOC they could stop responding to her. As if there were some sort of button that would aid in that. It would clear the air of a great deal of noise.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:31 AM   #35
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

So your response to an example of the Republican wing of the Democratic Party trying to suppress the left is to whine that the left suppresses the Republican wing of the Democratic Party.

Last edited by Delvo; 27th March 2019 at 11:33 AM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:32 AM   #36
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You say that like defeating Trump is a higher priority than defending incumbents. Evidence suggests it isn't.
What?

I'm saying that telling your voters you don't care what they want, they're going to vote for who you tell them to and like it, is asking for people to stay home or vote third party.

If a progressive challenger can beat a centrist incumbent in a fair primary then they should be on the ticket. If they can't then that's fine too. But don't try to rig it one way or the other.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:36 AM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
What?

I'm saying that telling your voters you don't care what they want, they're going to vote for who you tell them to and like it, is asking for people to stay home or vote third party.

If a progressive challenger can beat a centrist incumbent in a fair primary then they should be on the ticket. If they can't then that's fine too. But don't try to rig it one way or the other.
And the primaries remain fair.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:42 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

If the Democrats don't like AOC they could stop responding to her. As if there were some sort of button that would aid in that. It would clear the air of a great deal of noise.
I honestly don't know much about her, save her green deal stuff, and her high-pitched voice, but why is she so much in the news lately? What's so cool or horrible about her?

Old 27th March 2019, 11:45 AM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I honestly don't know much about her, save her green deal stuff, and her high-pitched voice, but why is she so much in the news lately? What's so cool or horrible about her?
She's an exciting young visionary who defeated an incumbent and is speaking truth to power and inspiring the youth vote. Whether this is cool or horrible depends on your point of view.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Because she can recognize a hint when it drops on her head at terminal velocity.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics