ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections

View Poll Results: If the 2020 Election Was Today, Which Issues(plural) Would Determine Your Vote?
Partisanship - Stopping the other "team" 19 30.65%
The Economy 22 35.48%
The Mueller Report 14 22.58%
Healthcare 38 61.29%
Immigration 19 30.65%
Shaking Up the Establishment (d.b.a. "drain the swamp") 4 6.45%
Controlling the Supreme Court 25 40.32%
Bringing God Back to Government - Getting God Out of Government 5 8.06%
LGBTQ rights and treatment under the law 19 30.65%
Other (please specify in a post) 13 20.97%
On Planet X All We Care About Is Who Can Bake A Cherry Pie 8 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th March 2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

2020 General Election - Our First Poll

There will be no transparency so the poll is as anonymous as we can make it. The question is NOT what you forecast will be the issues come election time but what you see as the important issues right now.

Multiple choices allowed to get a better feel for what the overall concerns of members are.

The choices - as neutrally worded as possible:

WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUES IN THE COMING 2020 ELECTION

> Partisanship - Stopping the other "team"
> The Economy
> The Mueller Report
> Healthcare
> Immigration
> Shaking Up the Establishment (d.b.a. "drain the swamp")
> Controlling the Supreme Court
> Bringing God Back to Government - Getting God Out of Government
> LGBTQ rights and treatment under the law
> Other (please specify)
> On Planet X All We Care About Is Who Can Bake A Cherry Pie

I will leave the poll open for a month. Hopefully we get a large enough statistical sampling that it means something (for certain definitions of "means").

Remember - Multiple Selections Are Encouraged. We can't give you "weighting" because the forum software only allows Select / Don't Select.

I'll try to repost the poll periodically to see trends. I know the forum tends to trend "liberal", so that should be taken into account, ultimately. But that's why the choices are as neutral as I could make them. Whether you're for or against a certain stand on, say, "Healthcare" is not important. It's important whether that issue is going to be your driver when deciding how to vote.

Feel free to commence with the usual bickering, but do try to keep to the topic of the thread, which is not the various approaches to the issues but WHETHER OR NOT YOU FEEL THE ISSUES WILL BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR IN HOW YOU VOTE (or would vote if you're not an American).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Venom
Master Poster

Economy
Healthcare
other: nuclear power
Education : skepticism in schools; get God out, get James Randi in
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 12:53 AM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

My one and only criteria is that the candidate I vote for won't be named Trump.
Quote:
To the last I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 03:20 AM   #4
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I donít know if this counts as ďOtherĒ or a subset of ďEconomyĒ, but I clicked both. One of the bigger issues for me is the weakening middle class. Obama at least attempted to help that problem with the ACA. Trump appears to be doing everything in his power, and a few things that might not be, to cripple the middle and lower classes even more.
Old 27th March 2019, 03:23 AM   #5
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Well. Basic competence and respect for truth and facts would also be nice, yes.
Old 27th March 2019, 05:47 AM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Supreme Court.

As of right now everything Trump has done can be undone almost as quickly as he's done it. So much of what he's done has been through Executive Orders the next President can basically undue his Presidency in an afternoon.

But Supreme Court Justices? And younger (relatively speaking) ones at that? That's a long, long, long term major measurable effect kind of thing. And getting rid of a Supreme Court Justice is really, really uncharted territory so I'd wager anyone on there is gonna stay.

Ginsberg is not going to last forever and none of them are spring chickens and right now the only thing saving us from a total Conservative controlled court is Roberts occasionally breaking from the herd and just the general fact that before the last couple of appointments the SCOTUS Judges were the least partisan members of high government. One more Kavanaugh or Goursch and that's it. We've basically established a Conservative Theocracy for the rest of most of our lives.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 27th March 2019 at 05:53 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:50 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Can I vote on the poll even though I can't vote in the US?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 05:51 AM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If you're Russian you can vote thousands of times in a US election.
Old 27th March 2019, 07:34 AM   #9
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
See final paragraph of OP.

Quote:
Feel free to commence with the usual bickering, but do try to keep to the topic of the thread, which is not the various approaches to the issues but WHETHER OR NOT YOU FEEL THE ISSUES WILL BE THE DETERMINING FACTOR IN HOW YOU VOTE (or would vote if you're not an American).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:10 AM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As I understand the poll, it's not just the presidential election, but the 2020 election in general.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #11
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Letís see. A crumpled shoe box...or Trump.

Still not a tough decision.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Among my choices was “other,” to cover climate change and development of energy tech.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:20 AM   #13
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
To the last I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
I like your honesty, but perhaps you should consider how productive Ahab's obsession turned out to be.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:27 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I like your honesty, but perhaps you should consider how productive Ahab's obsession turned out to be.
Somebody got a book deal out of it, at least. These days such events would launch Ishmael into celebrity as a social media influencer, talk show host, and inevitably a run for political office. And perhaps a fashion line or theme restaurant chain if that didn't work out. If you really think about it Ahab lucked out by being killed before modernity hit.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Climate Change isn't there, and should be.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 10:32 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
See final paragraph of OP.
Sorry, I got bored before getting to the end.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:18 AM   #17
The_Animus
Illuminator

Corruption - As in the current injustice in prosecution, convictions, sentencing both for white collar and all other crimes.

Healthcare - Medicare for all or something similar

Economy - Wealth inequality and the coming AI/Automation revolution. Need to look at and or implement higher taxes on the wealthy and universal basic income.

Other - Fixing our election system such as gerrymandering, implementing a STAR voting system and fixing the insane influence of money in politics. Also climate change

Other issues listed in the poll are also important but I did not select them because I wanted to focus on just the most important issues at the moment and most likely to influence my vote.

Last edited by The_Animus; 27th March 2019 at 11:22 AM.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is this about the presidential election specifically? Or about all the federal elections scheduled for the 2020 term?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #19
Toontown
Philosopher

The guy had nothing to lose. He was a peg-legged old fart. Chasing the whale at least gave the old fart something to do.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
Climate Change isn't there, and should be.
Seconded.

But the absence of climate change as a motivating issue is accurate.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:30 AM   #21
ahhell
Master Poster

Almost partisanship, the Dems would have to run a complete nut to loose my Vote. I would be a hard choice for me to vote for Warren or Sanders but I might. Sanders would be easier than Warren, Warren might actually get something done.

The point there is that it would have to be someone left of Warren for me not to vote for the Dem. Even then, I'd just vote third party. I can't imagine voting for Trump.

The down ballot stuff, I'll vote generally for third parties but I would vote for a Dem or Rep if they aren't ******** or blatant partisan hacks.

Initiatives and what not, mostly no but I can be convinced to vote yes.

Last edited by ahhell; 27th March 2019 at 11:33 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
The guy had nothing to lose. He was a peg-legged old fart. Chasing the whale at least gave the old fart something to do.
It got at lot of people killed, and sank a profitable business venture.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 02:37 PM   #23
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

To say nothing of Khanís.
Old 27th March 2019, 03:06 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
To say nothing of Khanís.
Khan at least started with nothing and set out with single minded resolve to get something back.

Ahab started with a profitable business, and smashed it all to pieces.
Old 27th March 2019, 03:50 PM   #25
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Which eliminates AOC, for one. We're getting somewhere.
Old 27th March 2019, 06:00 PM   #26
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Nothing matters but getting rid of Trump. And a good cherry pie.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 06:11 PM   #27
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is this about the presidential election specifically? Or about all the federal elections scheduled for the 2020 term?
It's about the General Election which includes the Presidential vote, all House members, 1/3 of the Senators and X number of governors. It's not possible to include all the variables to cover people who use different criteria to decide how they will vote for one or the other position, but as a general principle consider it to be "The General Election". If you're concerned about stacking the Supreme Court or Immigration, it's not likely you'll vote for Lisa Lefty for President and Rhonda Righty for the House.

Old 27th March 2019, 06:13 PM   #28
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The next poll, in a few months, will include:

Jobs
Climate Change
Education

Old 27th March 2019, 06:16 PM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The next poll, in a few months, will include:

Jobs
Climate Change
Education
And possibly "Moon Mission Boondoggle". Or "Moondoggle". If nobody's called it that yet I want credit for inventing it!!
Old 27th March 2019, 10:57 PM   #30
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It got at lot of people killed, and sank a profitable business venture.
They knew what they were getting into. Old Ahab talked of nothing else but getting even with that whale for not letting him kill it.

You're going out into the ocean to attack a giant intelligent whale that's already whupped your ass. You are led by a crazy old fart who lost a leg the last time he went after the whale. Do the math.

Last edited by Toontown; 27th March 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:17 PM   #31
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The most important thing for me is getting Trump out. I don't think I could take another 4 years of him. Just looking at him makes me nauseated.

I'll vote a straight Dem party line because, while far from perfect, at least I mostly agree with the Dem values over the GOP's, especially after their cowardly performance brown nosing Trump. Some of them are so far up Trump's ass they had to send out a search and rescue team to find them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2019, 11:38 PM   #32
dirtywick
Graduate Poster

My other is campaign finance reform, environment, and lowering the deficit. Less military spending would be smarter but probably not realistic.

I want to add how important healthcare reform is to people my age who hope to have a chance at retirement in their 60’s. Tying something like that to your employer makes it so hard to be without one. It’s dumb to me to want to keep that.

Last edited by dirtywick; 27th March 2019 at 11:41 PM.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 11:25 AM   #33
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The most important thing for me is getting Trump out. I don't think I could take another 4 years of him. Just looking at him makes me nauseated.

I'll vote a straight Dem party line because, while far from perfect, at least I mostly agree with the Dem values over the GOP's, especially after their cowardly performance brown nosing Trump. Some of them are so far up Trump's ass they had to send out a search and rescue team to find them.
Pretty much this. My hardest choice will be who to vote for in the Dem primaries. Luckily, that is still quite some ways out.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 02:29 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Pretty much this. My hardest choice will be who to vote for in the Dem primaries. Luckily, that is still quite some ways out.
There are so many now that, frankly, I'm waiting for them to be weeded out before giving any one serious consideration. Although I have to say that I'm impressed by Buttegeig.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 12:55 AM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yes, there are true gems running, most of whom won't make it. I do hope that the primaries will help, not harm their future political prospects.
Old 29th March 2019, 07:12 AM   #36
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Nothing matters but getting rid of Trump. And a good cherry pie.
That sort of attitude is what got us Trump, "Nothing matters but keeping Clinton out" Honestly, I don't know how much of the vote was that, but some of it probably was, probably half of his vote was, "not the democrat".
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Yes, there are true gems running, most of whom won't make it. I do hope that the primaries will help, not harm their future political prospects.
I'll bet there's studies of that, how many pols that last a presidential primary went on to other success? I can't think of any that did more than just keep their current job. Could be confirmation bias though.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 07:18 AM   #37
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Partisanship

This is probably the first election where I see things in a strictly partisan way. I can not, under any circumstances, vote for any politician that espouses any support or membership of the Republican party.

The Republican party is openly abandoning fundamental principles of good government. No matter what individual ideas they may hold that I agree with, their approach of governance is so subversive it should not be allowed to continued.

This is a shame because there are certain conservative principles that I see as valid or worthy of debate, but are endangered by their association with the Republican party.

Getting Trump out is not only a good in itself, but a repudiation of the politics of the enablers that are content to let him run roughshod over the spirit and letter of the law. All enablers must perish, politically speaking.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th March 2019 at 07:23 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 09:23 AM   #38
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Partisanship

This is probably the first election where I see things in a strictly partisan way. I can not, under any circumstances, vote for any politician that espouses any support or membership of the Republican party.

The Republican party is openly abandoning fundamental principles of good government. No matter what individual ideas they may hold that I agree with, their approach of governance is so subversive it should not be allowed to continued.

This is a shame because there are certain conservative principles that I see as valid or worthy of debate, but are endangered by their association with the Republican party.

Getting Trump out is not only a good in itself, but a repudiation of the politics of the enablers that are content to let him run roughshod over the spirit and letter of the law. All enablers must perish, politically speaking.
This has been my position since 2015. I'm not claiming to be prescient; many others saw the warning signs. This was my stated reason for biting the bullet and supporting Hillary. It wasn't simply Stop Trump. It was Stop the Republicans. They no longer represent one-damn-thing I can support. And the 2020 slate is going to be even worse. Trump has co-opted the RNC - it should be called the Trump National Committee and several state organizations (notably the Ohio Republican Party) and the moderates have gotten very scarce. There are no diamonds-in-the-rough coming up for the Republicans, all lumps of coal.

Old 29th March 2019, 10:03 AM   #39
3point14
Pi

I notice wealth inequality is off the list.

Those that control the dialogue have really done a number on that one.

Anyone remember Obama campaigning on it?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2019, 10:28 AM   #40
Joecool
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Almost partisanship, the Dems would have to run a complete nut to loose my Vote.
How's Michael Avenatti doing these days?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics