ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 15th April 2019, 02:56 PM   #161
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Most people learn to live with the name they are born with.
Since the good fellow isn't here and was not addresed, very funny. I have a monocle, too, don't you know?
Old 15th April 2019, 03:05 PM   #162
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given it was a corrupt SCOTUS vote they included some clause that it won't count as precedent. Talk about knowing you are cheating.
There is more justification that the State of Washington can set requirements to who they print on their ballots as long as they are universally applied to every candidate than there is for Florida's decision not to count ballots in Bush v Gore.
Old 15th April 2019, 03:29 PM   #163
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
"An especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 03:43 PM   #164
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Yeah, I just worry Pence will pardon him.
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Mueller has unloaded even more than previously known on the SDNY. Even if Pence pardons him, NY will take every penny he has.
NY state may go after Trump, but SDNY is a federal, not state, court.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 03:51 PM   #165
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
As far as I know, they haven't asked for the audit records. They aren't really looking for illegal activity, they are in a battle of will. Trump said he wouldn't do something and they are trying to make him.

Neal has stated that his goal is to make them public.
Really they're holding him to something he said he would do, in regard to his tax return.
ShadowSot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 03:52 PM   #166
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
Really they're holding him to something he said he would do, in regard to his tax return.
Promises made. Promises kept.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:08 PM   #167
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Delete.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #168
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roofgardener View Post
I see. That makes sense. Because the Democrats START with the assumption that President Trump is guilty of SOMETHING. He MUST be. After all, if he wasn't guilty of something, they wouldn't be able to impeach him.

Truly, Trump Derangement Syndrome has infected them all !
I said nothing to suggest that Trump is guilty of something. I said nothing to suggest that Dems are convinced of that. I said they are almost certainly looking for evidence of wrongdoing, but you do that in order to determine whether one is guilty.

Duh.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:15 PM   #169
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
"An especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."
Trump will give that to himself shortly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 04:20 PM   #170
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Maybe they should have raked the land around the Cathedral. I hear that stops fires.

You know, I have no real idea about how to fight major fires, but it seams like dropping hundreds of pounds of water in a city area (where there are plenty of windows, some of which are probably historical stained glass) is probably going to cause a lot of collateral damage.
Even worse, the sudden cooling of hot stone would explode it like shrapnel, causing more damage and potential injury.

Wouldn't that also be true for all the water they sprayed on it with hoses?
Old 15th April 2019, 04:22 PM   #171
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, plenty of actors, athletes, etc. have received this medal.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:37 PM   #172
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not if it's Holy Water. It's "magic".
Old 15th April 2019, 04:55 PM   #173
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ShadowSot View Post
But is that the role of Ways and Means?

He also said Mexico would pay for the wall, why aren't they helping him keep that promise?

Or, if you want something realistic, removing the ban on interstate sales of health insurance?

I really don't think they are trying to help Trump. Nor is it their role to do so.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:02 PM   #174
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name.

No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?
Rally art could work. Maybe some sports wheels as well
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:23 PM   #175
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Originally Posted by Trumpty
What do I know about branding, maybe nothing (but I did become President!), but if I were Boeing, I would FIX the Boeing 737 MAX, add some additional great features, & REBRAND the plane with a new name.

No product has suffered like this one. But again, what the hell do I know?
Rally art could work. Maybe some sports wheels as well
I rather think by "rebranding", Trump means Boeing should rename it the "Boeing 737 Trump Bigly", with his name in the biggest letters down the side.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:38 PM   #176
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump signs EO in 2017 on Keystone XL. Fed judges rule pipeline illegal. Trump sign super duper EO that "judges can't overrule." What?
https://www.apnews.com/d62e3aaa796c402cbe29bcece6cee009
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 05:40 PM   #177
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
You are undoubtedly right. I could not, however, help from laughing out loud. If not one else sees it, fine, not gonna push an adolescent moment on anyone.
”Ward, I’m worried about him.”
Old 15th April 2019, 06:27 PM   #178
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Given it was a corrupt SCOTUS vote they included some clause that it won't count as precedent. Talk about knowing you are cheating.
How do you know it was corrupt?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:44 PM   #179
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Spoke to @TigerWoods to congratulate him on the great victory he had in yesterday’s @TheMasters, & to inform him that because of his incredible Success & Comeback in Sports (Golf) and, more importantly, LIFE, I will be presenting him with the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM!
What an idiot. Sadly, it's just not surprising coming from the man who claimed he'd be too busy as president to golf but spends more time on the golf course than any other president in history. It shows where his priorities lie.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 07:02 PM   #180
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How do you know it was corrupt?
Don't get Bobbed!
Old 15th April 2019, 07:31 PM   #181
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Firefighters don't spray at the fire they spray over it to cool the air until it's to cold to ignite.
They would also douse everything near the fire to slow the spread but it's a rookie mistake to directly target the hottest spot.
Old 15th April 2019, 08:09 PM   #182
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What an idiot. Sadly, it's just not surprising coming from the man who claimed he'd be too busy as president to golf but spends more time on the golf course than any other president in history. It shows where his priorities lie.
It's not as if he does much work when he's in DC - which is good, given how his only interest is in harming as many people as he can for personal gain. The real problem with his constant golf outings is that he's almost certainly blabbing state secrets in the presence of people who he's supposed to be protecting said secrets from.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:19 PM   #183
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Don't get Bobbed!
I would think a claim made with such confidence could be readily proven by the person asserting it
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 08:23 PM   #184
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's not as if he does much work when he's in DC - which is good, given how his only interest is in harming as many people as he can for personal gain. The real problem with his constant golf outings is that he's almost certainly blabbing state secrets in the presence of people who he's supposed to be protecting said secrets from.
Pretty sure the reliable security folks make sure that neither Trump nor any of his "unsafe" team get told the really juicy bits that would cause real problems if they blabbed. More likely they tell them soft stuff that only makes them feel privileged and "in the loop", like what the Chinese Chairman had for breakfast.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:24 PM   #185
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.
...He's a strong follower of Republican Jesus, he says? Sounds about right.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:28 PM   #186
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump will give that to himself shortly.
I hadn’t thought of that.

I am, however, surprised that he hasn’t given one to any of his kids.

Last edited by Ladewig; 15th April 2019 at 09:30 PM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 09:31 PM   #187
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Don't get Bobbed!
Thanks, that saved me a snarky answer I might have regretted.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:33 PM   #188
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I would think a claim made with such confidence could be readily proven by the person asserting it
Pretty sure you are the only one that has doubts about what I said.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:35 PM   #189
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty sure you are the only one that has doubts about what I said.
Your allies have a high willingness to believe you.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:06 PM   #190
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

Why is that a problem?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 01:41 AM   #191
TofuFighter
Master Poster

To be fair, plenty of actors, athletes, etc. have received this medal.
Here's the list. In golf, the last winners were Charles Sifford, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:24 AM   #192
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump says his taxes are being audited because he is a Christian.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/80976252/
Ah, trying to get the evangelicals to support him. What a standardbearer for Christian values this guy's been!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 02:56 AM   #193
ShadowSot
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
But is that the role of Ways and Means?

He also said Mexico would pay for the wall, why aren't they helping him keep that promise?
Because a, he's already been blocked on that. And he's been running into continuous blockades as he shifts towards different methods of getting funding for his project. It's a different department addressing it, essentially.

Quote:
Or, if you want something realistic, removing the ban on interstate sales of health insurance?
The Democrat platform is that in lieu of a better proposition from Republicans it's better to keep or fix issues with the Affordable Care act or simply expanding the scope of current programs. In this case it would be a fight for Republicans who want this done, something they seem unwilling to do.
Ban on interstate sales is a good thing from the Democrat view.
Quote:
I really don't think they are trying to help Trump. Nor is it their role to do so.
Yeah of course they're not trying to help him. He's been boasting about his wealth and success and promising to release his tax returns.
His repeated refusal to follow through on that is suspicious, especially given the historical precedent of previous presidents doing so. Coupled with his previous issues with money and issues of money laundering its suspicious.
Either its because of a relatively small issue that he's making a big deal of not following his promises on, or it shows technically legal but scummy money sources.
ShadowSot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 03:11 AM   #194
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Promises made. Promises kept.
He didn't say "promise".

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 03:51 AM   #195
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Firefighters don't spray at the fire they spray over it to cool the air until it's to cold to ignite.
They would also douse everything near the fire to slow the spread but it's a rookie mistake to directly target the hottest spot.

So no water would ever come in contact with those overheated stones?
Old 16th April 2019, 03:54 AM   #196
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump posts a stupid tweet about the Notre Dame fire, because of course he does.
France's Civil Defence Authority has posted a rare tweet in English, seemingly just to troll trump: https://twitter.com/SecCivileFrance/...74924268376064

Quote:
Hundreds of firemen of the Paris Fire Brigade are doing everything they can to bring the terrible #NotreDame fire under control. All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral.
Old 16th April 2019, 03:55 AM   #197
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it's not supposed to.

Point is: putting out fires should be a precision job, if at all possible.
Just dropping a ton of water on it is not as precise as is desirable.

The French authorities felt it necessary to put out a statement that Trump's idea would be really bad in this case.
In English.
Old 16th April 2019, 04:08 AM   #198
Belz...
Fiend God

Water probably shouldn't come in contact with Trump, either. He'd probably melt like the Wicked Witch.

Old 16th April 2019, 04:08 AM   #199
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
France's Civil Defence Authority has posted a rare tweet in English, seemingly just to troll trump: https://twitter.com/SecCivileFrance/...74924268376064
And a tweet in reply

"Veuillez nous excuser pour notre crétin orange."

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 04:09 AM   #200
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
And a tweet in reply

"Veuillez nous excuser pour notre crétin orange."
No mistakes. Nicely done.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics