ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th April 2019, 12:31 PM   #321
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is a disaster just waiting to happen.
I do not disagree. But “frontier justice” is part of the American psyche, and armed civilian militias date as far back as the Minutemen.

Remember, our President has painted the situation on the border as an emergency. And worse, as an invasion. That certainly sets the stage for certain citizens to see the need to “take the law into their own hands.” Add together “emergency” and “invasion” and some may latch onto a “Red Dawn” mentality where action on their part is the patriotic thing to do.

I’m not siding with these folks, but I can understand their motivation based on the dog whistles being broadcast by the President.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 20th April 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 12:40 PM   #322
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I do not disagree. But “frontier justice” is part of the American psyche, and armed civilian militias date as far back as the Minutemen.

Remember, out President has painted the situation on the border as an emergency. And worse, as an invasion. That certainly sets the stage for certain citizens to see the need to “take the law into their own hands.” Add together “emergency” and “invasion” and some may latch onto a “Red Dawn” mentality where action on their part is the patriotic thing to do.

I’m not siding with these folks, but I can understand their motivation based on the dog whistles being broadcast by the President.
I know exactly where this is coming from: Trump. I think that's pretty obvious. Trump has tapped into the gun crazy-frontier justice psyche of SOME Americans with his "Second Amendment solution" nonsense.
I think they believe this is 'patriotism'; it's not. It's a chance for these idiots to play John Wayne/Clint Eastwood/I'm a Big Hero roles and feel like big, powerful men. They're not. They're just idiots.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:35 PM   #323
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

This is a disaster just waiting to happen. How long before one of these self-important, idiot yahoos shoots someone?
You don't say. QAnon-Loving Border Militia Is Run by Ex-Con Who Says He Talks to Trump

Quote:
UCP says it works with Border Patrol, which publicly claims that it doesn’t condone them. And the group’s founder, a conspiracy theorist who was previously convicted of impersonating an officer, claims to be in contact with President Donald Trump.

Civilian border patrols have a long history among the far right. The first modern border militia was a 1970s effort by then-Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke and his cronies. (“Duke’s project quickly fell apart amid internecine bickering with his fellow neo-Nazis,” writer David Neiwert recounts in his book Alt-America.) Today’s border militias have mobilized around far-right conspiracy theories.

UCP produces an online radio show, a recent episode of which pushed a racist conspiracy theory accusing the country’s Muslims (including Rep. Ilhan Omar) of trying to “impose Sharia law.” The group also latched onto a conspiracy theory accusing ISIS of trying to sneak into the country across the border. (Trump has tweeted a discredited meme that alluded to the conspiracy.)

The conspiratorial DNA goes deep with the group. Its founder goes by Johnny Horton Jr., a reference to musician Johnny Horton. The 69-year-old’s actual name is Larry Mitchell Hopkins, the Southern Poverty Law Center reported last year.

Despite a professed love for the law, Hopkins has his own rap sheet. Court records reviewed by The Daily Beast revealed multiple convictions, including a 2006 conviction for impersonating an officer and felony firearm possession. (Reached by phone on Thursday, Hopkins declined to speak.)
Thankfully the FBI arrested this lunatic. Let the pardon countdown begin.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 04:07 PM   #324
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

I'd like to be able to say that I'm even mildly surprised at this. But I can't. That these alt-right morons are such Trump fans says so much about Trump himself.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 04:43 PM   #325
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino
‏Verified account
@DanScavino
I am with the President at the Southern White House, I have never seen him happier!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 04:48 PM   #326
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

If @MittRomney spent the same energy fighting Barack Obama as he does fighting Donald Trump, he could have won the race (maybe)!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 05:37 PM   #327
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It might not matter. They could be eating a state charge too for kidnapping or unlawful imprisonment.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:01 PM   #328
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino
‏Verified account
@DanScavino
I am with the President at the Southern White House, I have never seen him happier!
Three scoops of ice cream today?
Old 20th April 2019, 06:07 PM   #329
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Three scoops of ice cream today?
And a spanking with the Mueller Report?
Old 20th April 2019, 09:26 PM   #330
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

And a spanking with the Mueller Report?
Three scoops of ice cream while getting spanked with the rolled up Mueller report?

Oh happy day!

*meow purr purr*
Old 20th April 2019, 09:48 PM   #331
dejudge
Philosopher

Trump Tweeted

If @MittRomney spent the same energy fighting Barack Obama as he does fighting Donald Trump, he could have won the race (maybe)!
Republicans need help from Russia to win the presidency.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 10:07 PM   #332
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Nah...all they need are people who don't care that their president is a pathological liar, a malignant narcissist, a cheating scumbag with the morals of a tomcat, and has the integrity of Richard Nixon.
Old 20th April 2019, 10:21 PM   #333
dejudge
Philosopher

Nah...all they need are people who don't care that their president is a pathological liar, a malignant narcissist, a cheating scumbag with the morals of a tomcat, and has the integrity of Richard Nixon.
And help from Russia.
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 11:21 PM   #334
Venom
Master Poster

And help from Russia.
Well the Republicans swept both houses and a total of over 1000 seats across the country in 2010 midterms, relying largely on the short attention span and ignorance of the electorate.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 11:22 PM   #335
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Three scoops of ice cream while getting spanked with the rolled up Mueller report?

Oh happy day!

*meow purr purr*
Considering how thick it is, I'd have to say "clobbered" instead.
Old 21st April 2019, 01:58 AM   #336
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I disagree. The fact that President Nixon tried to hide his actions and limit the number of people who knew shows that he had more integrity than President Trump.

Also, the fact that Nixon believed that a president should be familiar with the Constitution also indicates a greater level of integrity.
Old 21st April 2019, 04:21 AM   #337
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Happy Easter! I have never been happier or more content because your Country is doing so well, with an Economy that is the talk of the World and may be stronger than it has ever been before. Have a great day!
Old 21st April 2019, 06:04 AM   #338
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is a disaster just waiting to happen. How long before one of these self-important, idiot yahoos shoots someone?
The leader has been arrested and charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition

It's not made clear in the article, but it seems from context that what is being cited is a prior felony conviction - presumably for some act of violence, given the description of him as "dangerous".
Old 21st April 2019, 07:38 AM   #339
dejudge
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Happy Easter! I have never been happier or more content because your Country is doing so well, with an Economy that is the talk of the World and may be stronger than it has ever been before. Have a great day!
That tweet seems like Russian propaganda to help Trump. The talk of the world is that the POTUS is an immoral unethical pathological liar.
Old 21st April 2019, 08:28 AM   #340
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Well the Republicans swept both houses and a total of over 1000 seats across the country in 2010 midterms, relying largely on the short attention span and ignorance of the electorate.
Democrats didn't lose the Senate until 2014.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_U...nate_elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_U...nate_elections
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_U...nate_elections
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:05 AM   #341
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We lost the supermajority in the Senate in the '09-10 term, perhaps that's what they meant. That is, after all, about the minimum it takes to get basically anything done.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:16 AM   #342
dejudge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Talking about the short attention span and ignorance of the electorate do you remember that a Republican member of one of those houses said this about Trump ………."I think he's a kook. I think he's crazy. I think he's unfit for office," said Graham.

Why did people elect a crazy man to be POTUS? In the Mueller report it is confirmed that people around Trump claimed he acted or said things that were crazy.
Old 21st April 2019, 09:20 AM   #343
gregthehammer
Muse

Trump Tweets

"Your" Country?!?!
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:23 AM   #344
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
"Your" Country?!?!
Putin had a slip of the tongue.
Old 21st April 2019, 11:48 AM   #345
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
that's right. thanks.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 02:29 PM   #346
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

That tweet seems like Russian propaganda to help Trump. The talk of the world is that the POTUS is an immoral unethical pathological liar.
And ridiculous, let's not forget that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 02:29 PM   #347
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I disagree. The fact that President Nixon tried to hide his actions and limit the number of people who knew shows that he had more integrity than President Trump.

Also, the fact that Nixon believed that a president should be familiar with the Constitution also indicates a greater level of integrity.
I stand corrected!
Old 21st April 2019, 02:36 PM   #348
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

There's the counterpoint to Trump's "Fake News" in the run-up to 2020 : "Russian Interference". With Assange out of the picture, the Russkies will need a new conduit to FoxNews and anybody can be fingered as being it.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 05:08 PM   #349
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
"Russian Interference". With Assange out of the picture, the Russkies will need a new conduit to FoxNews and anybody can be fingered
Sounds like normal media operations to me.
Old 21st April 2019, 05:43 PM   #350
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sounds like normal media operations to me.
From WikiLeaks to Hannity to beyond is not like from Hannity directly.

Old 21st April 2019, 05:48 PM   #351
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
From WikiLeaks to Hannity to beyond is not like from Hannity directly.
It all depends on who's behind it all.
Old 21st April 2019, 08:01 PM   #352
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Nixon was a far more complex person than Donald Trump. Trump is like a two-dimensional character in a movie with a plot that calls for a totally self-obsessed and self-serving person, and he's ruining the movie by over-acting.
Old 21st April 2019, 11:59 PM   #353
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nixon was a far more complex person than Donald Trump. Trump is like a two-dimensional character in a movie with a plot that calls for a totally self-obsessed and self-serving person, and he's ruining the movie by over-acting.
Oh, yeah.
That explains why I am having such a hard time suspending my disbelief. I’ve got a lot of disbelief.

JRR Tolkien said an important step was creating “a logically consistent fictional world.” That’s the problem: President Trump is having a hard time creating a logically consistent anything.
Old 22nd April 2019, 12:12 AM   #354
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Why did people elect a crazy man to be POTUS? In the Mueller report it is confirmed that people around Trump claimed he acted or said things that were crazy.
Very simple. They didn't elect Trump, they elected a Republican. He could have been Hitler and it wouldn't have mattered to them, so long as he had an 'R' next to his name.
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:51 AM   #355
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Very simple. They didn't elect Trump, they elected a Republican. He could have been Hitler and it wouldn't have mattered to them, so long as he had an 'R' next to his name.
But that doesn’t explain why people who voted for President Obama voted for President Trump.

The single largest factor in any presidential election is who the opponent is. The hatred of Senator Clinton runs very deep.
Old 22nd April 2019, 05:58 AM   #356
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I laughed when I read the president’s description in the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people.

Chris Christie described President Trump by saying:
Every modern U.S. President tries to influence the world. President Donald Trump has done this through opposing the NATO countries not paying their fair share, pushing China and our North American neighbors for fairer trade agreements and withdrawing from the Iran nuclear agreement. His boldest move in this direction is likely his personal efforts on the issue of North Korea. President Trump has, in fact, used the past year to place his imprint on a problem spanning more than six decades. [more]
He doesn’t say the president has influenced the world in a positive way, he just says influenced.

ETA
And he doesn’t even say the president created more fair trade agrreeements, Christie just says pushing for fair trade. And he didn’t change any scheduled NATO payments, he merely opposed countries not paying their fair share.

Last edited by Ladewig; 22nd April 2019 at 06:05 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:07 AM   #357
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

But that doesn’t explain why people who voted for President Obama voted for President Trump.

The single largest factor in any presidential election is who the opponent is. The hatred of Senator Clinton runs very deep.
no.

After 2 terms, the White House almost always changes parties. And it usually does so with a clear majority.
Even with Russian support, years of lies and character assassination against Clinton (including FBI directors breaking protocol to intervene in an ongoing election), and a dedicated propaganda channel (Fox), Trump still lost the popular vote.
Clinton had a massive disadvantage, most of all because Trump seemed too weak to any sane person to be taken seriously.
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:32 AM   #358
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Do you propose not impeaching a corrupt president in order to maximize the catastrophe so that people will learn better?
What catastrophe?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:33 AM   #359
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
It is not about the impeachment so much as it is about getting away from business-as-usual for a bit. If a lot of the key Republicans were to admit that nominating Trump was a mistake (the Democrats are already onboard with that)
Trump was nominated by Republican voters, not "key Republicans". It doesn't generally work for people to admit mistakes on behalf of others, especially if those others don't think it was a mistake.

Quote:
FWIW, I think Trump's presidency is more a symptom than a cause.
I agree with that, but possibly not for the same reasons.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:34 AM   #360
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Do you propose not impeaching a corrupt president in order to maximize the catastrophe so that people will learn better?
I propose that the proper purpose of impeachment isn't to teach anyone anything.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics