ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 11th May 2019, 11:16 AM   #361
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,062
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Do you? I don't know anything about Cohen's travels. But the Czech Republic is part of the European Union. Travelers within the EU don't pass through border controls. If Cohen was anywhere in Europe, he could have traveled to Prague without any official record. Was he in Berlin? Amsterdam? Vienna? Even Paris? Easy drives or train rides to Prague if he wanted to travel under the radar.
You think Mueller doesn't know this? Of course he does. If Cohen could have slipped into Prague from another EU country, there would still be record of Cohen being in the EU during that period, and Mueller would know that it was a possibility. Mueller said Cohen didn't go to Prague because he knows he didn't go to Europe on those dates.

And if his cell phone went without him (no evidence it did), that isn't what the dosier claimed, so the dosier is still wrong.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 01:10 PM   #362
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,332
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You think Mueller doesn't know this? Of course he does. If Cohen could have slipped into Prague from another EU country, there would still be record of Cohen being in the EU during that period, and Mueller would know that it was a possibility. Mueller said Cohen didn't go to Prague because he knows he didn't go to Europe on those dates.

And if his cell phone went without him (no evidence it did), that isn't what the dosier claimed, so the dosier is still wrong.
There's no pee tape that we know of either. Throw all the reports out!!!*



*The dossier was a series of separate reports.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:51 PM   #363
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,970
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
yes, it can - the law says so.
Laws don't apply to Republicans, don't you know?
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 04:22 PM   #364
IsThisTheLife
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
I assume the oblique references to "the dossier" are to 'the Steele dossier'. Some interesting developments in the past 24 hours. Google Lindsey Graham Steele Fisa. Then don't click on any of the results because they're all 'extreme right wing' and ipso facto nothing they say is credible..
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 04:38 PM   #365
IsThisTheLife
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
I do understand that Trump must be deposed by any means necessary, and even if the Steele dossier was a bogus (and possibly illegal) pretext to get a FISA warrant and an FBI special investigation into Trump's Russian Collusion that it alleges, this is absolutely not a problem to the moral relativist.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:11 AM   #366
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,985
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
I do understand that Trump must be deposed by any means necessary, and even if the Steele dossier was a bogus (and possibly illegal) pretext to get a FISA warrant and an FBI special investigation into Trump's Russian Collusion that it alleges, this is absolutely not a problem to the moral relativist strawman.
ftfy.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:26 AM   #367
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 7,931
When it comes to the Russia investigation, people have it completely backwards:

a number of Intelligence Partners, and multiple private sources, had given the US IC plenty of reason to open a counter-intelligence investigation into Russia and their contacts in the US.
And it turns out that not only was there plenty of Russian interfering that needed to be uncovered and stopped - there even was enough evidence to start a criminal investigation ...
which is something the IC only bothers to do if there is very good reason that crimes can be proven in court, instead of just getting rid of the problems "diplomatically".

Trump apologists really need to ask themselves why the FBI (and Rosenstein) went the extra step to declare Trump campaigners targets of the investigation, if politically it could have been much safer to just stick to the Russian side.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isnít.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 12:35 AM   #368
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 25,816
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump apologists really need to ask themselves why the FBI (and Rosenstein) went the extra step to declare Trump campaigners targets of the investigation, if politically it could have been much safer to just stick to the Russian side.
Simple, it was a politically motivated witch-hunt orchestrated by the deep state to try to hamper the greatest president of the modern age.......
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 03:15 AM   #369
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,036
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That poll was about postponing the election until some theoretical voting immigrants could be purged from the rolls, not a fake "couldn't president because of mueller probe" problem.
Yes and like it would really matter what the made up problem they are canceling elections for is.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 03:20 AM   #370
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 46,036
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
[/hilite]
Do you think "rural" means "evil and stupid?" I don't. But it does likely mean a different worldview from someone who grew up in the cities and suburbs.
Well the ones who voted for trump would likely fit into one of those categories. I mean really how did they think he would bring serious numbers of coal jobs back?
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 03:37 AM   #371
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,436
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
I do understand that Trump must be deposed by any means necessary, and even if the Steele dossier was a bogus (and possibly illegal) pretext to get a FISA warrant and an FBI special investigation into Trump's Russian Collusion that it alleges, this is absolutely not a problem to the moral relativist.
On what grounds precisely?
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 05:23 AM   #372
IsThisTheLife
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
Quote:
and even if the Steele dossier was a bogus (and possibly illegal) pretext to get a FISA warrant and an FBI special investigation into Trump's Russian Collusion that it alleges
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
On what grounds precisely?
"Last night John Solomon revealed that Christopher Steele met with state department representative Kathleen Kavalec in October of 2016 and her memorandum of that meeting suggests that the FBI lied to the FISA court when getting the FISA warrant to surveil Carter Page."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:14 AM   #373
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7,175
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
"Last night John Solomon revealed that Christopher Steele met with state department representative Kathleen Kavalec in October of 2016 and her memorandum of that meeting suggests that the FBI lied to the FISA court when getting the FISA warrant to surveil Carter Page."
This John Solomon?
Quote:
Paul McCleary, writing for the Columbia Journalism Review, has been critical of John Solomon's reporting.[3] In 2007, he wrote that Solomon had earned a reputation for hyping stories without solid foundation.[3] In 2012, Mariah Blake, writing for the Columbia Journalism Review, wrote that Solomon "has a history of bending the truth to his storyline," and that he "was notorious for massaging facts to conjure phantom scandals."[4] In 2007, Deborah Howell, then-ombudsman at The Washington Post criticized a story that Solomon wrote for The Post which had suggested impropriety by Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards in a real estate purchase; Solomon failed to add context which would have made clear that there was no impropriety.[21] Progressive news outlets ThinkProgress, Media Matters for America and Crooked Media have argued that Solomon's reporting has a conservative bias and that there are multiple instances of inaccuracies.[22][5][23] Reporters who worked under Solomon as an editor have said that he encouraged them to bend the truth to fit a pre-existing narrative.[4]

In January 2018, Solomon published a report for The Hill suggesting that Peter Strzok and Lisa Page had foreknowledge of a Wall Street Journal article and that they themselves had leaked to the Wall Street Journal.[24] According to the Huffington Post, Solomon's reporting omitted that the Wall Street Journal article Strzok and Page were discussing was critical of Hillary Clinton and the FBI, Strzok and Page expressed dismay at the fallout from the article, and Strzok and Page criticized unauthorized leaks from the FBI. According to the Huffington Post, "Solomon told HuffPost he was not authorized to speak and does not comment on his reporting. He may simply have been unaware of these three facts when he published his story. But they provide crucial context to an incomplete narrative that has been bouncing around the right-wing echo chamber all week."[24]

That same month, Erik Wemple of The Washington Post said that newsroom staffers at The Hill had complained about Solomon's reporting for the publication.[6] The staffers reportedly criticized Solomon's reporting as having a conservative bias and missing important context, and that this undermined The Hill's reputation.[6] They also expressed concerns over Solomon's close relationship with Sean Hannity, whose TV show he appeared on more than a dozen times over a span of three months.[6]
(Wiki)
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 05:52 AM   #374
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,075
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This John Solomon?
(Wiki)


Yeah, that scans with his interpretation of the notes he keeps hyping. He reads a lot more into them than is actually there.

He links to the notes in a couple of those articles, so you can see for yourself what I mean.

https://www.scribd.com/document/4093...-Redacted-Memo

The notes say that the organization (not Steele himself) is "keen to see this information come to light prior to November 8". He simply ignores that "come to light" could have many possible meanings, and immediately ascribes to them purely partisan political motives, and then he acts as if that proves everything else he has to say about them.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.