ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 7th May 2019, 11:40 AM   #81
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

if re-election seems unlikely, Trump might indeed come under significant pressure to start a war, since the NeoCons know that this might be their last chance for a decade.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:44 AM   #82
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
If he thought he could get away with it, he'd try to stay in power.
And if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped. You can come up with basically any outcome you want for a counterfactual hypothetical, because events will never contradict you. But for the same reason, such musings really don't mean anything.

Even if it's only because he doesn't think he can get away with it, he still won't refuse the outcome of the election.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:46 AM   #83
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I suspect he will make a huge fuss, make al kinds of threats, but ultimately move out when he realizes that his frothing, rabid base isn’t enough to change reality.

Part of his fuss will be for his own ego, and part so that any criminal charges laid against him and his children after he ‘graciously conceded’ will seem petty.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:46 AM   #84
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
He became the host of a TV reality show instead of becoming a dictator.
What do you base this on? I don't think he even could've become president back then, the timing wasn't right. (Please recall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald...ntial_campaign ) So had he wanted to, he couldn't have.

Quote:
Adolph Hitler entered politics, joining the NSDAP (then the DAP) at age 30. He was the leading public figure of the NSDAP by the time he was 32. He instigated the Beer Hall Putsch at age 34. He became a political criminal and published his totalitarian program for Germany by the time he was 35. By the time he was 43, he'd gained enough support from influential politicians and businessmen to get himself installed as Chancellor of Germany. Hitler's entire middle age was devoted to this program of dictatorship. By age 50 he'd pretty much reached Peak Hitler, and that was preceded by almost thirty years of growing effort and focus towards that goal. You think at 70, Trump is going to suddenly start putting in that kind of work, just to stay president a little longer?

I mean, if it fell into his lap for some reason, he'd probably take it, because that's the kind of jackass he is. But I don't see a group of powerful industrialists waiting in the wings to make that happen. Hell, I don't even see a mechanism in the American system of government for that to even be possible. Nor do I see the kind of widespread public sentiment to make it possible without such a mechanism. Nor, of course, do I see any indication that Trump even wants that to happen.

And yet, at age 69 he suddenly started putting in that kind of work into running for President. I see no justification for your highlighted claim. Is 70 some kind of magic number???

PS Looks an awful lot like "Special Pleading" to me.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:46 AM   #85
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Democrats how about you worry about whatever excuse you're gonna use when you lose to Trump before you worry about whatever excuse you're gonna use when you win against Trump but he doesn't go away.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:51 AM   #86
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

The Art of The Deal:

Step 1 - Toss random stuff at wall, see what sticks.
Step 2 - If something sticks, run with it.
Step 3 - If nothing sticks, go back to Step 1.

Also known as: "How To President 101"

Last edited by AnonyMoose; 7th May 2019 at 11:52 AM.
AnonyMoose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:51 AM   #87
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's not that he wasn't president 20 years ago, it's that he didn't even try to be president, or even any position which would serve as a stepping stone to the presidency, 20 years ago.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:52 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
I suspect he will make a huge fuss, make al kinds of threats, but ultimately move out when he realizes that his frothing, rabid base isn’t enough to change reality.
Depends he has a solid lock on the republican party, the question of when will they stop dancing to his tune.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 11:58 AM   #89
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I would have phrased it a little differently, but the point is that becoming dictator requires a certain kind of will to power, one that doesn't hide itself over the course of a 70+ years of life. Trump likes money, he likes fame, he likes attention, he likes adulation. But he doesn't exhibit the sort of craving for power that dictators have. Aspiring dictators don't wait until they are old in order to pursue that goal, they begin from a much younger age. If Trump was the type of person who really wanted to become a dictator, he would have gotten into politics decades ago. But he didn't. It's not that he wasn't president 20 years ago, it's that he didn't even try to be president, or even any position which would serve as a stepping stone to the presidency, 20 years ago.
And he lies, cons, and cheats to obtain those things...exactly like a power hungry nut would do.

And sure, he may not have wanted to become a dictator 20 years ago, but being a president who A) Wants to push his agenda at all costs, such as using emergencies to usurp Congress' power, and B) Wants to use the power of the Presidency to protect himself from his own corruption....and all of a sudden we have significant ingredients for at least pushing things in the dictatorial direction, at the very least.

Again, he probably didn't want to become a dictator 20 years ago, but it's a fallacious argument to imply that nothing has changed as of today (See: He's the President, A, and B above).

Looks to me like a hell of a lot has changed in the past 20 years. I don't think you can deny that.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:08 PM   #90
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
And he lies, cons, and cheats to obtain those things...exactly like a power hungry nut would do.
But those behaviors are not peculiar to people who are power hungry nuts. They are not useful in determining if he is.

Quote:
And sure, he may not have wanted to become a dictator 20 years ago
Then why would he today? Again, he's not a different person today than 20 years ago.

Quote:
but being a president who A) Wants to push his agenda at all costs, such as using emergencies to usurp Congress' power
Congress gave him those emergency powers. Congress can take them away, if it so chooses. Using those powers is not an expansion of presidential powers, but only an exercise of them.

And it's really not that much of a cost.

Quote:
B) Wants to use the power of the Presidency to protect himself from his own corruption....
To the extent that this is true (and your views aren't universal), it still isn't indicative of dictatorial ambitions. Not all crimes are the same, not all criminals are aspiring dictators.

Quote:
and all of a sudden we have significant ingredients for at least pushing things in the dictatorial direction, at the very least.
No, actually, we don't. The most obvious missing ingredient, and it's a god-damn GIGANTIC one, is any actual expansion (not exercise) of presidential power. It just isn't there. And absent that, the accusation just has no credibility.

Quote:
Looks to me like a hell of a lot has changed in the past 20 years. I don't think you can deny that.
I can deny that this specific thing has changed.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:20 PM   #91
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

While I don't believe Trump would do the work required to become a dictator, I do think if someone else did all the work and offered him the figurehead position of one, where the real power would lie with eminence gris..eses... he'd accept. He could sit in the big chair and people would pay attention to him, which is all he actually seems to want.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:22 PM   #92
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Feet to the fire I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Trump has already, on some level, grown bored with being President.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:22 PM   #93
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but:

Trump won't get elected.
Trump is going to jail.
Trump and Kim are going to nuclear war.
Trump unfit to handle natural disaster fears.

Trump will not leave office.

Trump is too dumb and unmotivated to become the next American dictator. This power of his as President is not entirely new to him. It's not like he's ever answered to anybody in his entire life. He backs down too often to be a good dictator, for one.

Worrying and talking about it will get the Democrats nowhere. Change your tune for gawd's sake. I'm not sure what strategy would work best in 2020 but the Dems definitely have not found it yet. Fear mongering won't cut it, and they obviously aren't good at it.

The Dems seem to have a lot of momentum going for them, enough to where I think they could run Trump out of office, but I think they will take the wrong approach and lose again. That's what I'm seeing so far.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:23 PM   #94
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Part of his fuss will be for his own ego, and part so that any criminal charges laid against him and his children after he ‘graciously conceded’ will seem petty.
This is pretty much what he's done every single time he's been thwarted so far.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:23 PM   #95
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Newsweek recently had an article about how little Hitler did for work, spending a lot of time in his "Winter White House" in Berchtersgarden.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:26 PM   #96
Lurch
Muse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Trump is over 70 years old. Whatever he was going to become, he's already there. If he were going to become a totalitarian dictator, he would have gotten there at least 20 years ago. At this point, we have sufficient historical data to confidently predict what will happen when it's time for Trump to leave office: He'll claim he's winning, bluster past any arguments to the contrary, and carry on Trumpin' somewhere else.

For some people, being head of state is about their will to power. For Trump, I think it's mostly just about bragging rights. And as we have seen again and again, Donald Trump has no problem bragging about stuff even when he doesn't have the right. He brags even in the face of contradictory reality. He got to be POTUS, and he'll be able to brag about it whether he stays in office or not. I don't think he much wants to stay in office. He's having fun presidentin', and when the time comes he'll have just as much fun bragging about the presidentin' he did. He's not a Castro or a Maduro or a Putin, who has to stay in power by hook or by crook, in order to keep control and advance their agenda. Trump has no such agenda.
No agenda, absolutely. But what a motive! (To avoid--or at least delay--indictment.)
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:26 PM   #97
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So, [...]
[/thread]
Old 7th May 2019, 12:28 PM   #98
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
While I don't believe Trump would do the work required to become a dictator, I do think if someone else did all the work and offered him the figurehead position of one, where the real power would lie with eminence gris..eses... he'd accept. He could sit in the big chair and people would pay attention to him, which is all he actually seems to want.
Yes. A big wicker chair like Huey Newton.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Feet to the fire I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Trump has already, on some level, grown bored with being President.
Also this.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:32 PM   #99
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Whether he loses, or he's run out of town on a rail, he'll be gone.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:38 PM   #100
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What do you base this on? I don't think he even could've become president back then, the timing wasn't right. (Please recall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald...ntial_campaign ) So had he wanted to, he couldn't have.

And yet, at age 69 he suddenly started putting in that kind of work into running for President. I see no justification for your highlighted claim. Is 70 some kind of magic number???
I disagree. I think most of the work had already been done. This was an opportunistic move, not a will-to-power move. He was already a celebrity.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:39 PM   #101
Lurch
Muse

This is the kind of approach that would appeal to a lazy ass grifter.

But I say again. Aims toward dictatorial power have little if anything to do with his desire to prolong his tenure. It's all about keeping his scurvy hide out of prison.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:40 PM   #102
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Trump is too dumb and unmotivated to become the next American dictator. This power of his as President is not entirely new to him. It's not like he's ever answered to anybody in his entire life. He backs down too often to be a good dictator, for one.
The real long-term impact of Trump is that he has demonstrated how much the limits on what Presidents can do are enforced by custom and practice, not law. If the Congress won't call him to account, and he appoints judges and law enforcement officials who support him, the President can do whatever he wants. The next guy could be smarter and more deliberately malicious, and there won't be an easy way to stop him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:55 PM   #103
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

But those behaviors are not peculiar to people who are power hungry nuts. They are not useful in determining if he is.
There you go again, completely ignoring frequency. Lying, conning, and cheating at Trump's level IS peculiar.

And what predictive behaviors do you require then? As far as I can tell, you're arguing he isn't a dictator because he didn't act like a dictator through most of his life.....and then he became president, and started showing dictator tendencies, like usurping Congress' power. People generally don't start acting like dictators until.....they start acting like dictators, and the power of the Presidency (at any age) can change a person's tendencies that way, especially when they've already exhibited rampant lying, conning, and cheating in the past.

Quote:
Then why would he today? Again, he's not a different person today than 20 years ago.

Haven't I already clearly addressed this? Indeed, I addressed it in the post you are replying to: Because he is President and is using the power of his Presidency to cover up his corruption. What you insist on missing is that the means a person has at their disposal can change a person's actions. He didn't take the dictatorial step of usurping Congress because.....he didn't have the means.

Quote:
Congress gave him those emergency powers. Congress can take them away, if it so chooses. Using those powers is not an expansion of presidential powers, but only an exercise of them.

And it's really not that much of a cost.
Find me a Dem congressman who agrees with that. Perhaps the criteria for an emergency were ill defined by a DIFFERENT congress over 40 years ago, and therefore the Constitutionality is now in question. And I brought this up before yet no one responded: Can Congress really take them away? I mean realistically, of course. The Republicans would block it, wouldn't they? And even if they DID take them away, I see no evidence it would retroactively take Trump's action away, too. You grossly oversimplify.

Quote:
To the extent that this is true (and your views aren't universal), it still isn't indicative of dictatorial ambitions. Not all crimes are the same, not all criminals are aspiring dictators.
I am saying it pushes things in the dictatorial direction, which seems obvious to me: An abuse of presidential powers to obstruct justice is, by definition, exactly the sort of thing a dictator would do.

[quote[No, actually, we don't. The most obvious missing ingredient, and it's a god-damn GIGANTIC one, is any actual expansion (not exercise) of presidential power. It just isn't there. And absent that, the accusation just has no credibility.[/quote]

Usurping Congress and obstructing justice ARE expansions.

Quote:
I can deny that this specific thing has changed.

Not convincingly. And what I actually had in mind: You can't deny he is now president, giving him plenty of means that he never 20 years ago.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:03 PM   #104
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
In any case, if polls suggest that Trump will be wiped out in 2020, together with Republican candidates, some at the top might very well decide that even a few extra months of court battles might be worth it if it just gets another appointment, another executive order, another pardon, another deregulation.
A "few extra months" is not what Trump would be interested in. He needs 2 extra years so that the statute of limitations for obstruction of justice charges is passed.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 01:08 PM   #105
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There you go again, completely ignoring frequency. Lying, conning, and cheating at Trump's level IS peculiar.
But not to dictators specifically.

Quote:
And what predictive behaviors do you require then?
A minimum threshold is actually trying to expand the power of the presidency. And he's not doing that.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, you're arguing he isn't a dictator because he didn't act like a dictator through most of his life.....and then he became president, and started showing dictator tendencies, like usurping Congress' power.
But he hasn't usurped Congress' power. You keep claiming that, but it just isn't true. Congress delegated emergency declaration power to the president, and did so quite some time ago.

Quote:
And I brought this up before yet no one responded: Can Congress really take them away? I mean realistically, of course. The Republicans would block it, wouldn't they?
You aren't asking if they can, you're asking if they will. And they probably won't. But they absolutely can.

Quote:
And even if they DID take them away, I see no evidence it would retroactively take Trump's action away, too.
Why is that relevant?

Quote:
You grossly oversimplify.
The entire case for Trump being an aspiring dictatorship relies on gross oversimplifications.

Quote:
I am saying it pushes things in the dictatorial direction, which seems obvious to me
Absent any expansion in presidential powers, that's simply not a credible argument.

Quote:
Usurping Congress and obstructing justice ARE expansions.
If he usurped congressional power, that would be. But he didn't. And obstruction of justice is an abuse of powers, but it's absolutely not an expansion of powers. Plus, of course, that's a rather contested claim.

And again, all you've got is gross oversimplification, so your complaint rings hollow.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:19 PM   #106
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
A "few extra months" is not what Trump would be interested in. He needs 2 extra years so that the statute of limitations for obstruction of justice charges is passed.
He might try to get an extra 2 years, but after three months, the case would be settled and Trump kicked out.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:34 PM   #107
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to figure out how Trump would prevent a transfer of power. For sure nobody else in the government is particularly invested in him being in office. Not to the point of massively disrupting the political establishment's status quo.

It would have to go down something like this:

TRUMP: Doesn't count! Still president!

CONGRESS: Nah, brah.

[Congress schedules a swearing-in ceremony somewhere other than the White House.]

TRUMP: Capitol Police! 82nd Airborne! I'm still president! Stop that ceremony!

CAPITOL PD AND THE JOINT CHIEFS: Nah, brah.

TRUMP: You're fired!

CAPITOL PD AND THE JOINT CHIEFS: We'll see about that.

[Congress swears in the President-Elect.]

PRESIDENT 46: Capitol PD, 82nd Airborne, you're hired! Please remove Former President Trump from the Residence.

CAPITOL PD AND THE JOINT CHIEFS: Yes sir, Mister President! Right away, Mister President!

[Trump is evicted from the White House. Whatever hope he had of not being prosecuted for his previous crimes is now gone. He also gets prosecuted for the new crimes he committed by refusing to leave at the end of his term. His appeal goes nowhere and is never taken up by the Supreme Court. He spends the rest of his life bragging about how he's still president somehow. The world rolls on unperturbed.]

Last edited by theprestige; 7th May 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:42 PM   #108
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Thought of another one. This one is a 25th Amendment solution:

- Congress establishes a blue-ribbon panel to determine that Trump is unable to continue in his duties. Doesn't matter what the rationale is, simply that they can do it.

- Trump contradicts the panel, consistent with the 25th Amendment.

- Also consistent with the 25th, Congress determines that their blue-ribbon panel is right, and Trump is wrong. Again, the rationale doesn't matter, only that they can do it.

- Pence becomes acting president, and works with Congress to facilitate a peaceful transition to the President-Elect.

This one probably requires Congress to meet secretly with Pence in advance, and secure his cooperation.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:46 PM   #109
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

But not to dictators specifically.

I can't think of ANY trait that is unique to dictators before they become dictators.

Quote:
A minimum threshold is actually trying to expand the power of the presidency. And he's not doing that.
And I disagree, as I've stated (and supported previously)

Quote:
But he hasn't usurped Congress' power. You keep claiming that, but it just isn't true. Congress delegated emergency declaration power to the president, and did so quite some time ago.
And again, that's debatable, since the this particular use of the National Emergencies Act conflicts with the Constitutional power of the purse given to the Congress. Looks unconstitutional to me.

Quote:
You aren't asking if they can, you're asking if they will. And they probably won't. But they absolutely can.

Does not answer the question I asked: Can they, if Republicans obstruct?

Quote:
Why is that relevant?

Because my interpretation of your previous post is (paraphrased): "If Congress don't do something about it, it must be because they don't really care enough". I am saying that they won't because they can't.

Quote:
The entire case for Trump being an aspiring dictatorship relies on gross oversimplifications.

Oh, "I know you are but what am I". Pee Wee Herman did it better.

Quote:
Absent any expansion in presidential powers, that's simply not a credible argument.

Ignores the fact that I am saying his border emergency and obstruction of justice is an expansion.

Quote:
If he usurped congressional power, that would be. But he didn't. And obstruction of justice is an abuse of powers, but it's absolutely not an expansion of powers. Plus, of course, that's a rather contested claim.

You might want to reread the part of the Constitution where the power of the purse is given to Congress. And obstruction of justice can be considered expansion in the sense of expanding the intent of the given powers. And if you disagree, I still maintain that mere abuse of powers to be above the law is a dictatorial action.

Quote:
And again, all you've got is gross oversimplification, so your complaint rings hollow.

...said the person who evidently thinks that predicting dictators based on personality traits alone is an exact science.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:50 PM   #110
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

And to be clear, I don't at all expect Trump to actually stay in office if he loses in 2020. I absolutely think he will resist, but beyond some temporary static and some very real potential for some minor but significant spill over into the public (such as violence and vandalism from some supporters) I don't think he has any chance of succeeding.

If he wins in 2020, I think he will continue to degrade American institutions and ideals. I can't begin to predict where it will lead, but many things alarm me, and should alarm you, too.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:53 PM   #111
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Does not answer the question I asked: Can they, if Republicans obstruct?
Republicans are part of Congress, they aren't something separate. You're treating it like Democrats are the only ones in Congress, and that makes no sense.

Quote:
Because my interpretation of your previous post is (paraphrased): "If Congress don't do something about it, it must be because they don't really care enough". I am saying that they won't because they can't.
And you're wrong. They can. It's Democrats who cannot.

Quote:
Ignores the fact that I am saying his border emergency and obstruction of justice is an expansion.
I'm not ignoring that, you're just wrong.

Quote:
You might want to reread the part of the Constitution where the power of the purse is given to Congress.
And Congress delegated some of that power, quite some time ago.

Quote:
...said the person who evidently thinks that predicting dictators based on personality traits alone is an exact science.
There's an easy way to test this. Want to make a bet? It's easy pickings, as far as I'm concerned. I already won a bet against Fudbucker regarding indictments, this one is even more of a gimme.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:56 PM   #112
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Say, whatever happened to Fudbucker?
Old 7th May 2019, 01:57 PM   #113
carlitos
"más divertido"

Five Guys and Shake Shack put him out of business?
Old 7th May 2019, 01:59 PM   #114
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Say, whatever happened to Fudbucker?
Last I heard still alive but no longer posting.
Old 7th May 2019, 02:07 PM   #115
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Last I heard still alive but no longer posting.
Looks like he may have given up in September of last year, after nobody would play along with his "default skeptical position" nonsense.

Also, this page of discussion about the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings did not age well: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...php?p=12439582

And that's before the point where Michael Avenatti enters the story.
Old 7th May 2019, 02:12 PM   #116
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Republicans are part of Congress, they aren't something separate. You're treating it like Democrats are the only ones in Congress, and that makes no sense.
YOU are the one treating it like Dems are the only ones in Congress, as if their will can simply be realized. I'M the one pointing out that Republicans exist, too, and can block the Dems will.

Quote:
And you're wrong. They can. It's Democrats who cannot.
Oh, so now you agree, huh? Democrats cannot because the Republicans will prevent it. That's what I've been saying all along: Congress can, IN PRINCICIPLE, but Democrats CAN'T since Republicans will block it. Wish we could have come to that agreement sooner.

Quote:
I'm not ignoring that, you're just wrong.
Obviously we disagree; I am not in the least convinced by your opinion.

Quote:
And Congress delegated some of that power, quite some time ago.
Not in a way that usurps Congress' Constitutional powers, they didn't.

Quote:
There's an easy way to test this. Want to make a bet? It's easy pickings, as far as I'm concerned. I already won a bet against Fudbucker regarding indictments, this one is even more of a gimme.
What's the bet? Mind you, I haven't predicted a single thing; I've merely been exposing you to some things we should all be concerned about. As I have specifically said before, I can't predict what's going to happen; I am not a prophet, I am merely able to see major problems arising from such a corrupt administration, which is not really special, either--many say the same thing. Doubt me? Go back and find a post of mine that says otherwise.

Go ahead, tell me what bet you might have in mind. I fully expect it will be so explicitly/restrictively defined I will immediately refuse.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:16 PM   #117
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Indeed.

Trump might want to stay in power, but he's too weak, lazy and incompetent to do it.
He doesn't have a big enough army that would stand with him.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:20 PM   #118
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would have phrased it a little differently, but the point is that becoming dictator requires a certain kind of will to power, one that doesn't hide itself over the course of a 70+ years of life. Trump likes money, he likes fame, he likes attention, he likes adulation. But he doesn't exhibit the sort of craving for power that dictators have. Aspiring dictators don't wait until they are old in order to pursue that goal, they begin from a much younger age. If Trump was the type of person who really wanted to become a dictator, he would have gotten into politics decades ago. But he didn't. It's not that he wasn't president 20 years ago, it's that he didn't even try to be president, or even any position which would serve as a stepping stone to the presidency, 20 years ago.
That's because the things he is taking don't look like the kind of power other dictators might want.

If you just want to say, Trump wants nothing but self-centered actions, that would make sense. But if you say he doesn't crave power, you aren't very observant.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:24 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think that is going on now. The Republicans manipulating Trump are keeping a low profile.
Old 7th May 2019, 03:27 PM   #120
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's because the things he is taking don't look like the kind of power other dictators might want.
There's a good reason they don't look like the kind of power other dictators might want: They're not the kind of power a dictator would need to actually be a dictator.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics