ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 8th May 2019, 03:31 PM   #241
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes he will.

President Trump just says a lot of ****, he actually seems to do very little.
And eats a lot of it too.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 03:32 PM   #242
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Will Trump Allow a Transfer of Power?

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Thread title immediately following this question:

The Trump Presidency 14
Holy crap. He'll be REALLY old by then!
Old 8th May 2019, 05:40 PM   #243
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes, that is my prediction, based on what I think is. Again, distinct from what I want.
...and when asked what you base that prediction on you continually refuse to respond.

Look, I don't care if it's a prediction, what you want, or whatever; I'm simply asking you to explain why you have expressed such a double standard between such similar situations.

Believe it or not, you've given the best possible response I could have ever wanted:

You've indicated you're incapable of honestly answering a question I asked.

I knew you were being insincere all along, I just wanted you to demonstrate it so obviously.

Thanks!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 05:46 PM   #244
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And if he and republicans suspended elections, would they coup to overthrow them? The military is a red herring in the whole debate, they are highly unlikely to either overthrow or preserve democracy in the US.
Republicans can't suspend elections. States allow elections to go forward. Though I've seen things some Republican officials have done to suppress certain voter turnouts, I've seen nothing to indicate elections won't be held. Keep in mind, we actually hold thousands of county/parish elections all over the country, not one big election.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:09 PM   #245
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
...and when asked what you base that prediction on you continually refuse to respond.

Look, I don't care if it's a prediction, what you want, or whatever; I'm simply asking you to explain why you have expressed such a double standard between such similar situations.

Believe it or not, you've given the best possible response I could have ever wanted:

You've indicated you're incapable of honestly answering a question I asked.

I knew you were being insincere all along, I just wanted you to demonstrate it so obviously.

Thanks!
You've taken this strangely personally. It doesn't suffice for you to argue that I'm wrong, you somehow feel the need to prove that I'm a bad person. I'm not angry, though, because it can't feel good going through life with that kind of attitude.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 06:44 PM   #246
cmikes
Critical Thinker

I'm sure the tinfoil hat brigade had their conspiracy theories of "The president's going to cancel the election and seize power" before, but George H. W. Bush was the first one I personally heard. Funnily enough, it also involved the Russians. The story was that former Soviet troops were going to invade the US under the UN flag in order to found and enforce Bush's New World Order.

I think that one's still my favorite, although I also have a fondness for the President Obama one that Obama was going to conspire with Black Lives Matter to kill a bunch of cops simultaneously around the nation and riot so that Obama could cancel the election "until order was restored".
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 07:09 PM   #247
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

You've taken this strangely personally. It doesn't suffice for you to argue that I'm wrong, you somehow feel the need to prove that I'm a bad person. I'm not angry, though, because it can't feel good going through life with that kind of attitude.
Look ma, he's still not answering the question! LOL!

Hey, don't blame me if I get tired of the same old same old where yet another Trump supporter debates ingenuously...after all, it's not me that's debating disingenuously.

You might want to think about that, but I'm sure you won't.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 07:25 PM   #248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I'm sure the tinfoil hat brigade had their conspiracy theories of "The president's going to cancel the election and seize power" before, but George H. W. Bush was the first one I personally heard. Funnily enough, it also involved the Russians. The story was that former Soviet troops were going to invade the US under the UN flag in order to found and enforce Bush's New World Order.

I think that one's still my favorite, although I also have a fondness for the President Obama one that Obama was going to conspire with Black Lives Matter to kill a bunch of cops simultaneously around the nation and riot so that Obama could cancel the election "until order was restored".
Before Bush it was Nixon. It's why I don't take this charge very seriously. But Trump does give me pause.
Old 8th May 2019, 07:34 PM   #249
Minoosh
Philosopher

Most of the committee members are lawyers, including the chairman.
My guess is that the committee wanted a currently practicing attorney skilled in questioning hostile witnesses.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 08:58 PM   #250
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
My guess is that the committee wanted a currently practicing attorney skilled in questioning hostile witnesses.
Undoubtedly. But it's not about getting the truth about the Mueller report, it's about going on the offensive against Barr himself.

They really don't want him to investigate the origins of the Mueller probe, the FISA warrants, etc.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 09:04 PM   #251
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Undoubtedly. But it's not about getting the truth about the Mueller report, it's about going on the offensive against Barr himself.

They really don't want him to investigate the origins of the Mueller probe, the FISA warrants, etc.
How can that be true, when Nunes has already done that with nothing to show for?
Barr is doing a Benghazi, with repeating false allegations.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:22 PM   #252
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
How can that be true, when Nunes has already done that with nothing to show for?
Barr has access to a lot more than Nunes did, since everything happened under the department he now heads.
Old 8th May 2019, 09:35 PM   #253
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Nope.

Nadler made it very clear, the 5 minute questions let Barr filibuster. Barr did so effectively avoiding answering any tough questions in the Senate hearing. Having a single attorney ask the questions did not include the 5 minute format.

You're smarter than this answer suggests, Zig. This belongs in the CT forum.

I keep thinking you are just politically biased. This BS suggests you really like that koolaid.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th May 2019 at 09:37 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2019, 09:46 PM   #254
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Barr has access to a lot more than Nunes did, since everything happened under the department he now heads.
Really?
Nunes forced the FBI to hand over everything, including internal stuff like text messages between agents.

If Barr can find more, it would mean that the FBI didn't comply with the House subpoenas.
Old 9th May 2019, 01:44 AM   #255
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I'm not sure if any of you caught it but at last night's rally, when Trump wasn't laughing as the crowd chanted "shoot them" about immigrants, he said he wanted to be in office for "10 or 14 years" and then afterward his supporters tell us it is all just a joke.

"Just joking about the mass murder and endless presidency, you mad bro?"

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 01:54 AM   #256
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think Trump isn't really the President who his supporters want, he is there to stop anyone else from taking up the position.
The Trump base hates the GOP Establishment - just a tiny bit less than they hate Democrats.
But they don't really want either party in power.
So they might gladly support Trump's indefinitely prolonged first term - not because they think he's the best, but because everyone else would be worse.
Old 9th May 2019, 02:30 AM   #257
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm not sure if any of you caught it but at last night's rally, when Trump wasn't laughing as the crowd chanted "shoot them" about immigrants, he said he wanted to be in office for "10 or 14 years" and then afterward his supporters tell us it is all just a joke.

"Just joking about the mass murder and endless presidency, you mad bro?"
President Trump loves the kind of adulation he gets at his rallies and will do or say things to encourage it. It doesn't mean that he's going to follow through on it (or anything else for that matter) and I doubt whether he thinks about any repercussions from what he does or says.

If someone attended that rally and later shoots some immigrants, Donald Trump wold deny any kind of causal link.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 03:46 AM   #258
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I'm sure the tinfoil hat brigade had their conspiracy theories of "The president's going to cancel the election and seize power" before, but George H. W. Bush was the first one I personally heard.
The difference of course is that this is mainstream pundits and the president advocating for it. I doubt it will get traction but it is completely different from the previous times. Polls show republicans are pretty OK with this.

A majority of republicans supported it last year before the push for it after all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/555769001/
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 04:20 AM   #259
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Imagine, just for a moment, if Obama had "joked" about shooting evangelicals and had top liberals on Twitter advocating for an extended term. Just imagine the storm of rage that would rain down from the same people that assure us constantly not to take any of this Trump stuff seriously.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 04:27 AM   #260
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Really?
Nunes forced the FBI to hand over everything, including internal stuff like text messages between agents.

If Barr can find more, it would mean that the FBI didn't comply with the House subpoenas.
Is that news to you? Because already there have been stories coming out of relevant documents that Nunes didnít get from the FBI. For example:
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...air-trump-dirt
Old 9th May 2019, 04:37 AM   #261
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Is that news to you? Because already there have been stories coming out of relevant documents that Nunes didnít get from the FBI. For example:
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...air-trump-dirt
I find it surprising that no one investigated the people at the FBI who leaked stories about Clinton's emails.
Old 9th May 2019, 04:41 AM   #262
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

FBI director Wray said that he is not aware of any wrongdoing related to the investigation into Russia's ties with the Trump campaign.

Barr, again with no actual information, is convinced that there was.
Old 9th May 2019, 04:57 AM   #263
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So, as far back as I can remember we had conspiracy theories that President ( ) would not step down and possibly cancel elections.

For the first time ever it sorta seems possible when you consider that Trump himself is saying he had two years stolen from him, his top surrogates advocating for giving him two extra years, Pelosi says she is worried he won't give up the Presidency if the election is close and Michael Cohen, his own lawyer, thinks he will never give up the Presidency owing to how he would immediately be exposed to numerous criminal prosecutions.

Is it time to give up on the idea that elections will even mean anything in 2020?
I have a (much) bigger concern.

Suppose Trump loses in 2020, he rages and storms on Twitter for two months, but achieves nothing. The Senate Republicans tell him there is nothing they can do, the military tells them to **** off. He knows he's in legal hot water, the teasing of protesters about seeing Trump in an orange suit. A semi-competent lawyer still willing to work for him tells him they're right and recommends a plea bargain.

So what does he do? Easy. On the night prior to inauguration he jumps into Air Force One and flies to Russia. He steps off the plane and asks for a political asylum in Russia.

He spends his final years spewing out verbal vomits against Democrats on Twitter and giving interviews about corrupt Democrat witch hunts in the US and so on and so forth.

If that's not scary enough imagine him bringing a briefcase loaded with sensitive goodies too.

McHrozni
Old 9th May 2019, 05:42 AM   #264
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post

Suppose Trump loses in 2020, he rages and storms on Twitter for two months, but achieves nothing. The Senate Republicans tell him there is nothing they can do, the military tells them to **** off. He knows he's in legal hot water, the teasing of protesters about seeing Trump in an orange suit. A semi-competent lawyer still willing to work for him tells him they're right and recommends a plea bargain.

So what does he do? Easy. On the night prior to inauguration he jumps into Air Force One and flies to Russia. He steps off the plane and asks for a political asylum in Russia.

He spends his final years spewing out verbal vomits against Democrats on Twitter and giving interviews about corrupt Democrat witch hunts in the US and so on and so forth.

If that's not scary enough imagine him bringing a briefcase loaded with sensitive goodies too.

McHrozni
What's scary about it? Good riddance, so long as he doesn't leave with secrets.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 05:51 AM   #265
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

McHrozni
Sounds like a dream scenario compared to the situation today.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 06:06 AM   #266
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You forget that the President remains President for more than two months after the election. He doesn't lose the nuclear codes or any other power. Imagine the damage that an enraged Trump with nothing to lose could wreak in two months.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 06:11 AM   #267
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You forget that the President remains President for more than two months after the election. He doesn't lose the nuclear codes or any other power. Imagine the damage that an enraged Trump with nothing to lose could wreak in two months.
Codes can be changed, I'm sure. If he skidaddles to Russia Pence would become president pretty quickly, I think.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 06:34 AM   #268
ahhell
Master Poster

The paranoia in this thread is equal parts amusing and disturbing.

Side note, at the end of the Nixon administration their was basically a silent coup. IIRC, the Sec of State and Sec of Defense gave orders to the Military to run any orders from Nixon through them prior to executing them.

Last edited by ahhell; 9th May 2019 at 07:29 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 06:42 AM   #269
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I find it surprising that no one investigated the people at the FBI who leaked stories about Clinton's emails.
Yes, that might be surprising. If it were true.

But it's not true. It was investigated by the FBI inspector general.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...829_story.html
Old 9th May 2019, 07:42 AM   #270
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
The paranoia in this thread is equal parts amusing and disturbing.

Side note, at the end of the Nixon administration their was basically a silent coup. IIRC, the Sec of State and Sec of Defense gave orders to the Military to run any orders from Nixon through them prior to executing them.
That bit about the Nixon staff not following orders form Nixon is quite true, and it was due to the fact that Nixon was often drunk during the last few months of the Watergate crisis.

And for all of the various Trump faults, at least Trump is not a drunk. So when Trump screws up, it is a screw up that is made by a person who is sober.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 08:52 AM   #271
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
That bit about the Nixon staff not following orders form Nixon is quite true, and it was due to the fact that Nixon was often drunk during the last few months of the Watergate crisis.

And for all of the various Trump faults, at least Trump is not a drunk. So when Trump screws up, it is a screw up that is made by a person who is sober.
This is, in fact, the norm for presidents.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:07 AM   #272
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

Admittedly the coup against trump by his staff refusing to follow his orders is also exactly why republicans claim he didn't obstruct justice, I mean sure he tried but they didn't carryout his orders so it doesn't count.

So that kind of coup is good when done against republican leaders so say republicans.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:30 AM   #273
ahhell
Master Poster

Admittedly the coup against trump by his staff refusing to follow his orders is also exactly why republicans claim he didn't obstruct justice, I mean sure he tried but they didn't carryout his orders so it doesn't count.

So that kind of coup is good when done against republican leaders so say republicans.
Fortunately in the US its generally regarded as a good thing for bureaucrats to not follow illegal orders. That can't generally be called a coup if they tell there boss why they aren't going to do it and his response is basically, ok then.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:32 AM   #274
Bob001
Philosopher

Codes can be changed, I'm sure. If he skidaddles to Russia Pence would become president pretty quickly, I think.
He's not going to Russia. He will do as much damage as he can in his final weeks, then slink back to Trump Tower.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:53 AM   #275
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

What do you think the goodies in the briefcase were?

That plus poisoning the political climate in the US for another decade should be scary.

McHrozni
Old 9th May 2019, 10:04 AM   #276
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

A majority of republicans supported it last year before the push for it after all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ion/555769001/
That poll was about postponing the election until some theoretical voting immigrants could be purged from the rolls, not a fake "couldn't president because of mueller probe" problem.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 10:04 AM   #277
Belz...
Fiend God

He's not going to Russia. He will do as much damage as he can in his final weeks, then slink back to Trump Tower.
Unfortunately for him Trump Tower is not immune to the law the way the White House seems to be.

What do you think the goodies in the briefcase were?
That's why I answered the way I did.

Old 9th May 2019, 10:05 AM   #278
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He will do as much damage as he can in his final weeks
Want to bet?

I see a lot of big talk about how much damage Trump is going to do, or is already doing, but when I look at what he's actually done, it's still well within the mainstream of what presidents do generally, and nowhere near the limits of how much damage a President can do if they set their minds to it.

I bet that in his final weeks, he'll stay true to form, and do far less damage than he could, before leaving leaving office.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 10:08 AM   #279
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I bet that in his final weeks, he'll stay true to form, and do far less damage than he could, before leaving leaving office.
Ooh, that's like a double-negative, secret meaning!

Old 9th May 2019, 10:08 AM   #280
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

As a memento, his underlings might steal the "T" keys off all of the white house keyboards. Or, if the CT forum is to be believed, the Q keys.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics