ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 9th May 2019, 08:19 PM   #321
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The next occupant of the White House should definitely replace all mattresses.
Old 9th May 2019, 08:23 PM   #322
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"Will Trump allow a transfer of silverware?"

This is the absolute state of the anti-trumpists.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 08:40 PM   #323
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Reread what he said; I really don't see how you can honestly get that from what he wrote. Looks to me like he was dismissing that point of view.
The comments a few back were about enlisted soldiers largely coming from rural areas, likely to be home to Trump supporters, and I asked whether they might face divided loyalties. Somebody else somehow turned that into "evil and stupid." I didn't say anything like that.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:00 PM   #324
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The next occupant of the White House should definitely replace all mattresses.
Ok, credit where credit is due, that was funny.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:20 PM   #325
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

LOL! So you're incapable of recognizing jokes, too.

All I can do is shake my head.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 09:53 PM   #326
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Mueller report explicitly states Cohen never went to Prague. You were wrong. You promoted a falsehood, not me
Some of his phones did.
Old 9th May 2019, 09:54 PM   #327
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Surely, that was a joke.

Many Trump defenders ignore the implications of Trump's jokes. Why take a clearly facetious question literally?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 10:29 PM   #328
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
None of that fits with his pathologic narcissism. He is incapable of believing he'd be convicted.
Maybe, but he is fully capable of believing the Democrats are out to get him and they will abuse their power however they can in order to punish him personally for all the good things he's done.

He might consider turning over a briefcase full of sensitive materials to Russia a heroic act in the struggle against the evil DNC. He's unhinged enough, that's for sure.

McHrozni
Old 9th May 2019, 10:43 PM   #329
Venom
Master Poster

This thread just had to stretch nine pages.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 10:55 PM   #330
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The Mueller report explicitly states Cohen never went to Prague. You were wrong. You promoted a falsehood, not me
You have a short memory or you didn't read what I said:
Quote:
Two things have yet to be confirmed, the Prague trip and the pee tape,
IOW only those two things have not been corroborated. I did not say it will or won't be confirmed, I said it was yet to be.

McClatchy: Mueller report states Cohen was not in Prague. It is silent on whether a Cohen device pinged there

That sounds like "yet to be confirmed" to me.

It is not I spreading falsehoods.
Old 10th May 2019, 02:21 AM   #331
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That much is clear to anyone reading these posts honestly.

Zig is spreading Trumpist propaganda.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:00 AM   #332
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No way, my joke comparing Caligula to Trump because of a mutual interest in incest is way...way worse than that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:28 AM   #333
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It can get even more deranged......and will
Old 10th May 2019, 03:46 AM   #334
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
It can get even more deranged......and will
You mean that, in addition to jokes and patterns, Trump apologists will no longer even be able to understand Basic English??
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:34 AM   #335
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You have a short memory or you didn't read what I said:IOW only those two things have not been corroborated. I did not say it will or won't be confirmed, I said it was yet to be.

McClatchy: Mueller report states Cohen was not in Prague. It is silent on whether a Cohen device pinged there

That sounds like "yet to be confirmed" to me.

Mueller said the claim is false. That sounds to you like ďyet to be confirmedĒ? Wow, thatís perhaps the dumbest take here.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post

Muellerís report is Trumpist propaganda. Looks like SG has a rival for dumbest take.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:36 AM   #336
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This thread just had to stretch nine pages.
This thread will stretch till 2024. And then, when Trump leaves office in the ordinary manner, the chicken littles will convince themselves that he only did so because their freak out prevented him from holding on longer.
Old 10th May 2019, 06:56 AM   #337
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, that was a joke.

Many Trump defenders ignore the implications of Trump's jokes. Why take a clearly facetious question literally?
Surely what was a joke?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:48 AM   #338
ahhell
Master Poster

This thread will stretch till 2024. And then, when Trump leaves office in the ordinary manner, the chicken littles will convince themselves that he only did so because their freak out prevented him from holding on longer.
This or they will act as though they never said anything about is refusing to leave.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:51 AM   #339
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Reminds me of the movie "Sleeper" with Woody Allen. The main character has been frozen a few hundred years and after being woken he is shown lots of pictures. I believe one is a picture of Richard Nixon he identifies it by saying something like when Nixon left the whitehouse, the secret service used to count the silverware.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:52 AM   #340
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
[/hilite]
Do you think "rural" means "evil and stupid?" I don't. But it does likely mean a different worldview from someone who grew up in the cities and suburbs.

The fact is that U.S. military service is entirely voluntary and has been since 1973. It would follow that people choosing that particular course have characteristics in common with each other that they might not have with others who choose different paths. I would bet that, say, civil engineers might have more in common with each other than they have with, say, kindergarten teachers or gardeners. The difference is that the military is entrusted with unique responsibilities, so what motivates military members is of interest to everyone.

And here's something that says that, at least during the Iraq War, a disproportionate percentage of recruits came from depressed rural areas. There's not much reason to think that would have changed.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110302528.html
https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farmin...s/life_07.html
No, but the implication that they would therefore support an outgoing president in is attempt to overturn the Constitution in clear violation of their oaths, would imply evil and or stupid.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 08:55 AM   #341
eeyore1954
Philosopher

I believe I read these posts honestly and I do not get that at all.

To me this is an example of our bias affecting how we interpret things.
Of course I feel your bias is skewing your interpretation more than mine does.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:41 PM   #342
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Surely what was a joke?
Surely this was a joke:

I picture the family stealing the silverware.
Do you not know how smileys work?

You're Welcome again!
Old 10th May 2019, 03:57 PM   #343
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Surely this was a joke:

Do you not know how smileys work?

You're Welcome again!
Ah. Thanks! I thought it was saying my post was a joke. Which confused me because of course it was a joke.
Old 10th May 2019, 04:14 PM   #344
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Mueller’s report is Trumpist propaganda. Looks like SG has a rival for dumbest take.
It was pointed out specifically how you distorted what did come from Mueller's report. I see you've moved on to denial that ever occurred.

Mueller may or may not have said Cohen didn't go to Prague. It still leaves the phone ping therefore the Prague report remains uncertain.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th May 2019 at 04:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:14 PM   #345
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Ah. Thanks! I thought it was saying my post was a joke. Which confused me because of course it was a joke.
There's nothing to indicate your post was a joke. You know, like tone or a smiley or something. Looks like you're using the old Trump excuse of saying "Come on, it was just a joke" whenever something you say doesn't go well for you.

"This is the absolute state of the anti-trumpists."

This is what you said. What element of that sentence constitutes "joke"?

Last edited by Cabbage; 10th May 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10th May 2019, 04:24 PM   #346
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Surely what was a joke?
The bit about Trump stealing silverware, obviously.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 04:28 PM   #347
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

The fault is partly mine. You put a question about Trump stealing silverware in quotes, so I thought you were literally quoting someone there.

But my point stands. People are making jokes about Trump stealing silverware. These jokes are not indicative of the beliefs of those concerned about Trump. If you don't take Trump seriously when he asks Russia to find Hillary's emails and aren't concerned about that comment, say, then you shouldn't worry about jokes about Trump either.

NOTE: I don't know for a fact what your opinion regarding the many Trump utterances that people have dismissed as mere funnin'. If you think those things are a concern, whether serious or not, then the consequent of the above hypothetical does not apply to you.
Old 10th May 2019, 05:09 PM   #348
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There's nothing to indicate your post was a joke. You know, like tone or a smiley or something. Looks like you're using the old Trump excuse of saying "Come on, it was just a joke" whenever something you say doesn't go well for you.

"This is the absolute state of the anti-trumpists."

This is what you said. What element of that sentence constitutes "joke"?
Not everyone here uses hyperbole to express deadly seriousness.
Old 10th May 2019, 05:21 PM   #349
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Not everyone here uses hyperbole to express deadly seriousness.
Sure, whatever you say, bro. I can only respond to what you write, not what you're thinking.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:23 PM   #350
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It was pointed out specifically how you distorted what did come from Mueller's report. I see you've moved on to denial that ever occurred.

Mueller may or may not have said Cohen didn't go to Prague.
There is no "may or may not" about it. I quoted from the report, he specifically said Cohen didn't go to Prague. That's you, not me, distorting the Mueller report.

Quote:
It still leaves the phone ping therefore the Prague report remains uncertain.
The Mueller report makes no mention of the phone ping. The very existence of such a phone ping itself is unconfirmed. And unless you think Cohen managed to sneak out of the country and then back in without Customs noting his exit and entry (again, do you even know how international travel works?), then Cohen cannot have gone to Prague, regardless of what his phone did or did not do.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:45 PM   #351
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Zig, maybe you forget the 16 phones seized from Cohen in the raid.
Old 10th May 2019, 09:50 PM   #352
Bob001
Philosopher

The Mueller report makes no mention of the phone ping. The very existence of such a phone ping itself is unconfirmed. And unless you think Cohen managed to sneak out of the country and then back in without Customs noting his exit and entry (again, do you even know how international travel works?), then Cohen cannot have gone to Prague, regardless of what his phone did or did not do.

Do you? I don't know anything about Cohen's travels. But the Czech Republic is part of the European Union. Travelers within the EU don't pass through border controls. If Cohen was anywhere in Europe, he could have traveled to Prague without any official record. Was he in Berlin? Amsterdam? Vienna? Even Paris? Easy drives or train rides to Prague if he wanted to travel under the radar.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 11:06 PM   #353
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There is no "may or may not" about it. I quoted from the report, he specifically said Cohen didn't go to Prague. That's you, not me, distorting the Mueller report.

You act like we have the un-redacted report. "silent on the phone ping" is not the same as clearing the mystery up. Of course Barr would redact anything about the phone ping.

But it doesn't matter. This whole thing is you trying to distract from the reliability of the Steele dossier.

I said the pee tape and meeting in Prague are not verified. You keep trying to argue about something I said was uncertain.

Bottom line, a lot of the dossier has been validated. And the source of the dossier was clearly in the FISA warrant application.

So, FISA warrant was above board. Moving on from your attempt to sidetrack the discussion, there is no evidence of any deep state out to get Trump. I wish there had been.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 10th May 2019 at 11:07 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 11:13 PM   #354
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Mueller report does mention people being concerned about "tapes" becoming public.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:46 PM   #355
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

You have a short memory or you didn't read what I said:IOW only those two things have not been corroborated. I did not say it will or won't be confirmed, I said it was yet to be.

So Cohen's cellphone could have gone to Prague without him?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 12:04 AM   #356
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
First, stop acting like I said Cohen went to Prague. I very specifically said that entry in the dossier was uncertain.

Second, you have a heavily redacted report that doesn't say one way or the other what the phone ping was about.

That's it, end of this little slice of the story.

You and Zig continue arguing this straw man. Why? because it's a way of dodging the relevant facts.
Old 11th May 2019, 12:28 AM   #357
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

one of his 16 ?
yes, absolutely.
Old 11th May 2019, 01:03 AM   #358
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

My cellphone went to Prague and all I got was this lousy indictment.
Old 11th May 2019, 04:32 AM   #359
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Must. Save. Robbiní.
Old 11th May 2019, 07:14 AM   #360
Thermal
Philosopher

Another vote that with regard to the OP question: it doesn't matter. It will happen. The President's flunkies are reported to be blatantly insubordinate. It would just be a question of him going out in cufflinks or in cuffs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics