ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 11th May 2019, 03:49 PM   #1
jerrywayne
Muse

Trump to head nation's 4th of july celebration

Will Trump behave himself and act presidential and bipartisan? Or, will this result in a massive Trump rally, a Nuremberg rally on the Potomac?

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/201...o-the-program/
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 06:52 PM   #2
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Will Trump behave himself and act presidential and bipartisan? Or, will this result in a massive Trump rally, a Nuremberg rally on the Potomac?

A massive Trump rally, but not a Nuremberg rally on the Potomac.

Worth serious criticism, but not hyperbole.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 06:56 PM   #3
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
A massive Trump rally, but not a Nuremberg rally on the Potomac.

Worth serious criticism, but not hyperbole.
Seconded.
Old 11th May 2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump is organising it. It will be a colossal fizzer.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 07:19 PM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Probably will fail on some level as Trump would have to work with the city to do anything like this and they will not be keen on their regular celebration being hijacked for his rally.

Think the military parade silliness he tried to foist in everyone so he could play tinpot dictator. It ended when the city asked for reasonable costs.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

So the president who organises a delivery of of Big Macs for (half of) a visiting sports team instead of catering a proper reception thinks he is capable of organising a massive public fireworks display in Washington DC. His laughable farce of an inauguration ball in 2017 where he pocketed tens of millions and produced a rank-amateur shambles should have been the first warning.

I'm guessing he will hold his rally for the few remaining Trumpites with no bling organised at all, then point at the official fireworks elsewhere in the city and try to claim credit for them instead. They will lap it up.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Mumbles
Philosopher

Let him. He'll either stick to a boring script, or fly off the handle and reinforce the long-preexisting divide.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:10 PM   #8
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

Let him. He'll either stick to a boring script, or fly off the handle and reinforce the long-preexisting divide.
Another CPAC style flag-molesting is assured.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This will be like the National Abortion Rights Action League and Right to Life had rallies on the National Mall during meeting the of the World Trade Organization. If you're planning to attend, remember to shower in cool water after being tear gassed or pepper sprayed.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:40 PM   #10
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad Trump decided that celebrating the 4th of July was to be done with fireworks.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:56 PM   #11
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Will an immigrant be executed just as the brass band starts up with Stars & Stripes Forever? Or do they wait for the finale?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 11:03 PM   #12
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure he'll have a few immigrants on stage, just to show that he isn't racist. To show that he gets along with "the good ones."
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 02:13 AM   #13
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I hope his success at little indoor rallies hasn’t convinced him that he is ready for a large outdoor rally in DC. He won’t be received as well as he might expect to be.

He is consumed by the need to be remembered for some grand idea. He will be remembered. Just not the way he wants to be.
Old 12th May 2019, 03:03 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump will be disappointed - Putin and KJU have bigger missile vehicles on their parades.
Old 12th May 2019, 04:29 AM   #15
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I hope his success at little indoor rallies hasnít convinced him that he is ready for a large outdoor rally in DC. He wonít be received as well as he might expect to be.

He is consumed by the need to be remembered for some grand idea. He will be remembered. Just not the way he wants to be.
My first thought was that's a good point. He can't control the crowds at the fireworks display.

My second thought was, oh, hell. Protestors on the Fourth of July is what he wants. That is some seriously bad optics.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #16
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
My first thought was that's a good point. He can't control the crowds at the fireworks display.

Anyone want to bet on him trying to control them? Put some fences up around the sites, require a ticket to get in, only let the Right People in. You know, Freedom Style!
Old 12th May 2019, 03:24 PM   #17
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Lock her up. Lock her up.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I hope his success at little indoor rallies hasnít convinced him that he is ready for a large outdoor rally in DC. He wonít be received as well as he might expect to be.

He'll have the biggest, most enthusiastic crowd in the history of the Fourth. Just like at his inauguration.
Old 12th May 2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I can see it now:

Your Favorite President of All Time, President Donald "No Collusion, No Obstruction" Trump, presents the Greatest Fourth of July Show Ever in the History of the World Paid for by China Tariffs!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 06:32 PM   #20
Minoosh
Philosopher

Fourth of July on the Mall is hellish enough without adding Trump to the mix.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 07:11 PM   #21
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

He wants to speak to the crowd from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
Old 12th May 2019, 08:07 PM   #22
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

They should egg him.
Old 13th May 2019, 02:31 AM   #23
a_unique_person

He better hope Lincoln doesn't jump up and try to throttle him.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 03:43 AM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

From any other President, I think this would be a fine idea, an uplifting message for the entire country. For the current one, not so much.
Old 13th May 2019, 03:47 AM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It'll be a great message for "real" Americans.........
Old 13th May 2019, 04:59 AM   #26
a_unique_person

What are the odds he goes off-script?
Old 13th May 2019, 05:14 AM   #27
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
What are the odds he goes off-script?

What are the odds he'll even have a script?

Aside from "4th July = 'Murrica's B-Day" written on his palm as a reminder, that is.
Old 13th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #28
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I wonder if his supporters will have another scream about “propaganda” when NPR tweets the Declaration of Independence.

Old 13th May 2019, 06:20 AM   #29
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
What are the odds he'll even have a script?

Aside from "4th July = 'Murrica's B-Day" written on his palm as a reminder, that is.
Right next to "Don't congratulate Putin".
Old 13th May 2019, 06:22 AM   #30
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Trump is organising it. It will be a colossal fizzer.
I think it'll be the biggest crowd in the history of crowds, and don't let your eyes fool you!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:24 AM   #31
ahhell
Master Poster

It will be incredibly tacky, Trump will have a script but you'll know when he goes off by the superlatives and he will say something really ******.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 06:40 AM   #32
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Right next to "Don't congratulate Putin".

"Didin't fight aliens. Just a movie."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 08:45 AM   #33
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I wonder what speech and rhetoric classes will be like a decade from now. Will one student stand at the front of the class and recite Kennedy’s “We choose to go to the moon” speech and the next one recite Trump’s “Mexico is sending rapists” speech?
Old 13th May 2019, 08:46 AM   #34
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He better hope Lincoln doesn't jump up and try to throttle him.
Why would Lincoln do that?

http://time.com/4708749/donald-trump...ln-republican/
President Trump believes that most Americans donít know that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. ďGreat president. Most people donít even know he was a Republican...

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:27 AM   #35
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why would Lincoln do that?

http://time.com/4708749/donald-trump...ln-republican/
President Trump believes that most Americans donít know that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. ďGreat president. Most people donít even know he was a Republican...
Trump is clueless that the Republican party of Lincoln was most certainly not the Republican party of today. Lincoln's GOP was more like today's Dem party.

https://www.livescience.com/34241-de...platforms.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:11 AM   #36
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Right.

... so just how exactly does one go about getting fireworks to spell T-R-U-M-P anyways?

And please don't say only 'Made in China' fireworks can perform such a feat!
Old 13th May 2019, 10:15 AM   #37
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post

I will only watch if he is going to tie himself to a rocket, a big rocket.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:17 AM   #38
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It will be incredibly tacky, Trump will have a script but you'll know when he goes off by the superlatives and he will say something really ******.
I assume from the number of stars you have picked the correct word : STUPID!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 10:23 AM   #39
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It'll be a great message for "real" Americans.........
His "real" Americans indeed - slime!!! Hope he doesn't use words with too many letters in them!!!

Wash this space!

Old 13th May 2019, 10:30 AM   #40
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
Trump is clueless that the Republican party of Lincoln was most certainly not the Republican party of today. Lincoln's GOP was more like today's Dem party.

https://www.livescience.com/34241-de...platforms.html
What, you mean the party that is run by a racist who labels neo-nazis "fine people" and who are working to disenfranchise black voters isn't really a progressive party in favor of civil rights?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics