IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police issues , police violence , police violence issues , racism issues

Reply
Old 27th July 2016, 03:26 PM   #41
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,409
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
How do you gain that experience?
Try being black for a while. a few years, say. Not that every single black person in the US has the same experience of course, but in my experience, the great majority of the times I've been pulled over the cop had a decent chance to get a look at me first.

Last edited by Mumbles; 27th July 2016 at 03:28 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2016, 03:56 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,760
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Try being black for a while. a few years, say. Not that every single black person in the US has the same experience of course, but in my experience, the great majority of the times I've been pulled over the cop had a decent chance to get a look at me first.
Your experience would seem to be common for all people regardless of who they are. You get pulled over at various times in your driving history. Sometimes the cop sees your person and sometimes they don't. That kind of personal anecdote would be told by people of all colors.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2016, 06:02 PM   #43
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,279
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Try being black for a while. a few years, say. Not that every single black person in the US has the same experience of course, but in my experience, the great majority of the times I've been pulled over the cop had a decent chance to get a look at me first.
On thing that I actually just recently discovered while listening to a number of traffic stop videos, why they are made, what to do, and also the best ways to act to avoid a ticket, was that not all traffic stops are because of an actual infringement by the driver, but more often than we realise, the stop is made because the driver and/or vehicle appears similar to one that the police are currently looking for.

They won't tell you that, but what they are doing is trying to eliminate you and your vehicle from the mix. For those in poorer higher crime rated areas, such a stop could easily be interrupted as a "DWB" stop, and in someways it is, though it's more a "driving while looking like my current suspect description" stop because what you don't know as a driver is that the "You didn't indicate properly at that Give Way Sign back there" reason is really a "You match the description of an armed robber that just fled the scene in a similar looking car" reason, but the last thing a cop is going to do is tell a possibly armed fleeing suspect that they are on to them.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2016, 06:07 PM   #44
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 20,279
Oh, and if you have ever wondered what it is like being a police officer at a traffic stop, this is a good video that uses cameras positioned from the aspect of the officer at the stop and what he can and can't see, and how long he has to react is things go pear shaped.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2016, 10:33 PM   #45
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,293
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
First off, the term Bystander, as noted, seems to be being applied incorrectly, because otherwise bystanders are being injured more then those being stopped/arrested.
There's no way bystanders could be getting hurt as often as they claimed unless they're including the victims of the crimes that the police were called to respond to in the first place, and/or people whom the criminals or suspects attack while the police are present.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 04:29 AM   #46
ThunderChunky
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,456
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
As to the study...um, yeah, non-black people can catch it, too. That's not the only question.

There's also the rush to justify, if not outright celebrate, violence against black people at the hands of police or vigilantes, as we've seen in many incidents over the past few years, as well as the overall indifference towards black people in general, and the view of society-created problems as up to only black people to fix.

The first rush is to claim racism without any data other than the race of the victim. The stats are showing the racial disparity lies in the encounter rate, not the risk per encounter. This is a fact that has been actively denied by the social justice advocates. There's nothing to "catch" here.

Last edited by ThunderChunky; 28th July 2016 at 04:32 AM.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 09:58 AM   #47
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 22,794
Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
The first rush is to claim racism without any data other than the race of the victim. The stats are showing the racial disparity lies in the encounter rate, not the risk per encounter. This is a fact that has been actively denied by the social justice advocates. There's nothing to "catch" here.
It seems at odds with other data about differential treatment of Blacks and Whites. For example vehicle stops in Missouri.

Blacks are stopped more often, searched more often, have contraband found *less* often, but are arrested more often than whites. The DoJ dug more deeply into the data in Ferguson and found that this disparity was there when controlled for the reason for the stop. Similarly, they found racial disparities in use of force. I suppose an optimist could say that maybe Ferguson was a unique situation, but there is little reason to believe that.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 10:09 AM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 91,350
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Try being black for a while.
I'm pretty sure that this isn't how statistics work. You don't need to be black to understand the evidence, so why would you say something like that?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 10:53 AM   #49
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 22,794
If the police stopped every black person in a city and randomly shot 0.01% wouldn't this study show that a blacks are less likely to be shot once stopped than whites?
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 06:49 PM   #50
Ammonitida
Muse
 
Ammonitida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It seems at odds with other data about differential treatment of Blacks and Whites. For example vehicle stops in Missouri.

Blacks are stopped more often, searched more often, have contraband found *less* often, but are arrested more often than whites. The DoJ dug more deeply into the data in Ferguson and found that this disparity was there when controlled for the reason for the stop. Similarly, they found racial disparities in use of force. I suppose an optimist could say that maybe Ferguson was a unique situation, but there is little reason to believe that.
The study cites a meta analysis that pretty much refutes the notion of "racial disparities in the use of force". The issue of blacks being stopped more often or "driving while black" is also covered by the study, and they cite three studies that refute that notion too. One of those studies is the New Jersey Turn Pike study that the DOJ tried to suppress. The very DOJ that issued the Ferguson report.
Ammonitida is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 09:39 PM   #51
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,293
Originally Posted by Ammonitida View Post
The issue of blacks being stopped more often or "driving while black" is also covered by the study, and they cite three studies that refute that notion too.
I've never seen studies about that before, but never have bought the idea without positive proof. The claim is simply a claim of mind-reading, and I am aware of another explanation for such claims that seems perfectly adequate.

I work at a plasma donation center. Both the donors and the employees include a mix of races. Sometimes we need to tell a donor something (s)he doesn't like, and sometimes that donor is a different race from the employee. Odds of a white donor accusing a black employee of racism in those situations: zero or indistinguishable from zero. Odds of a black donor accusing a white employee of racism in the same situations: about one in ten.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 10:07 PM   #52
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Try being black for a while. a few years, say. Not that every single black person in the US has the same experience of course, but in my experience, the great majority of the times I've been pulled over the cop had a decent chance to get a look at me first.
Being a white in a group of black or arabic skinned folk and being the same in a group of white kid taught me early that skin color get you looked at by cop, in France. No need to be black for a while.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2016, 10:20 PM   #53
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 22,794
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I've never seen studies about that before, but never have bought the idea without positive proof. The claim is simply a claim of mind-reading, and I am aware of another explanation for such claims that seems perfectly adequate.

I work at a plasma donation center. Both the donors and the employees include a mix of races. Sometimes we need to tell a donor something (s)he doesn't like, and sometimes that donor is a different race from the employee. Odds of a white donor accusing a black employee of racism in those situations: zero or indistinguishable from zero. Odds of a black donor accusing a white employee of racism in the same situations: about one in ten.
I am sure that if I had experienced prejudice, I'd be more likely to see it when it didn't exist as well as when it did.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2016, 04:21 AM   #54
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,873
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If the police stopped every black person in a city and randomly shot 0.01% wouldn't this study show that a blacks are less likely to be shot once stopped than whites?
Yes.
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2016, 06:10 AM   #55
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,409
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm pretty sure that this isn't how statistics work. You don't need to be black to understand the evidence, so why would you say something like that?
Because we were not discussing statistics. We were discussing experiences and suspicions.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.