IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 9th November 2016, 05:39 PM   #81
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I also think there is a good chance he gets assassinated. I thought the same thing about Obama too.
In this case it won't bother me at all. There is more that would not bother me, but we will just let it lay there.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:43 PM   #82
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Such expression is reminiscent of truthers.
Time will tell.
I'm reminiscent of a truther because I point out truths about Trump?

Whatever. What parts of ignorant, sexist, racist and bully are not true?

Indeed, people who deny these characteristics of Trump are far closer to truthers than me.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:43 PM   #83
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Because it's deserved. There has never been a more ludicrous president than Trump. Are you really comparing him to Obama?
No, I'm comparing the amount of vitriol being spewed, and commenting subtly (or not so subtly) on the distastefulness of the doom & gloom predictions.
Old 9th November 2016, 05:44 PM   #84
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
In this case it won't bother me at all. There is more that would not bother me, but we will just let it lay there.
Wow. If someone had said it wouldn't bother them if Obama got assassinated, would you have considered that acceptable, regardless of how much they disliked the guy?
Old 9th November 2016, 05:52 PM   #85
imodium
Thinker

maybe trump will be a good president, depends on what you expect.

his policies to scrap medicare, build a wall, mass deportations, imprison his opponent and ban a religion is what his fans demanded.

the economic policy of lumping on around 5 trillion debt should be fun to watch for those of us outside.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:53 PM   #86
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
What is going to happen in the U.S.A. when Trump can't, Build the wall, Bring industry back, get jobs to the jobless, raise the minimum wage so that the people that voted for him can live, stop Muslims, stop Latinos, gaol Hiliary, clean out the sewer that is Washington DC (Trumps words as best I can remember), impose 45% import tax on Chinese goods, drop NATO, drop South Korea and Japan, Nuke Middle East or any other area he and his deplorables do not agree with.
I am sure there are many others.
Hopefully they will turn on him, march on and destroy much of downtown DC (except the Library of Congress; the Smithsonian and the very new National Museum of African American History & Culture) and be killed by the military after they have mostly accomplished their goal re: Trump's lies to them. They richly deserve that!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:54 PM   #87
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
No, I'm comparing the amount of vitriol being spewed, and commenting subtly (or not so subtly) on the distastefulness of the doom & gloom predictions.
Are predictions not allowed?

Tell you what, if the Trump administration is all sweetness and light, come back and tell me how tasteless I have been. In the meantime I'm judging the man on his character and so-called policies. The US and the world will suffer, and I will keep on stating this.

Tell me what do you think of the upcoming trade war with China and repudiation of greenhouse gas abatement? Good policies?

I, along with countless others think no. What about you?

No, I will not give this idiot any slack. Vitriol it is.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:56 PM   #88
fuelair
Banned

Maybe it's just immersion here, but the amount of insult, epithet, and hatred being directed at Trump really seems to exceed the amount that was previously directed at Obama.
For a perfectly good reason.
Old 9th November 2016, 06:25 PM   #89
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
If anyone wants to burn me at the stake for voting third party have at it, but I could no more vote for Clinton or Trump than grow wings and fly.
Crucify! A lot of the 3rd party vote in this election would never have voted Clinton. And probably would not have made enough of a difference anyway. Nader gets flack for 2000 because much of his constituency WOULD have voted Gore, and because that race was much tighter.

Perhaps the question regarding the ACA is not what Trump is going to do (or try to do) to it. But what we're going to replace it with - and how - when it comes time to remove Trump and the damage the next two years are going to cause.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:38 PM   #90
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

From a purely selfish PoV, with no consideration to the greater issue, I really wish they'd just leave it alone. ACA isn't exactly great, but I don't care. Let the dust settle please. It's been an immense amount of work in my field, and for me personally, figuring out how to do business in this new marketplace. It's been an immense amount of capital investment. Is it too much to ask that we quit screwing around with it for a few more years? Give it a chance to see if it's working or not before we go messing with it?

From a purely selfish PoV, my base premium is going up 35% next year; my actual monthly payment will go from $375 to $535, assuming my income doesn't change. Plus my deductible and copays are going up significantly. Further, the insurance I used to have was canceled because the plan wasn't Obamacare compliant. Finally, two years ago I was hospitalized, for the first time in more than 20 years, and my out-of-pocket expenses were about twice what they would have been if I'd had my old insurance.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:51 PM   #91
Belz...
Fiend God

I must have misread your post. I thought you were expressing that you believed it should be repealed.
I was simply expressing the wishes of the party soon-to-be in power. The benefits of the ACA are irrelevant; all they want is to repeal it because reasons.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:52 PM   #92
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Says the guy with the single payer health care.
You have no idea how utterly ridiculous your medical system looks to anybody outside the US.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:56 PM   #93
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
He used to be a Democrat, the Republican establishment fought against him, and just because he draws the racist vote doesn't mean he will be a racist president.

He may turn out to be a centrist who can get things done.
Well, given there is nothing that can be done other than wait and see, it's good to have hope.

Hope and change,,,,, I've heard that somewhere before......
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:03 PM   #94
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Immigration and Terrorism was most important so they voted for the guy who wants to build a useless wall, violate the constitution by imposing a religious standard for immigrants and thinks he knows more than the generals do?
They voted for him over the gal who didn't understand their concern and didn't even try to convince them that she would do a better job of addressing it.

Maybe they voted for him not because they thought he'd actually fix it, but because they were convinced she would only make it worse. This is probably only a little bit about Trump's actual platform, and a lot about flipping a giant middle finger at Hillary the Progressive Statesman.

I can't imagine a clearer message of Do Not Want than to choose Trump instead of whatever you imagine people should want. Has it not occurred to you that this strategy of telling people that they should shut up, sit down, and let the elites do all their deciding for them, is not such a great strategy?

Has it ever occurred to you that showing sincere empathy for the people you're supposedly trying to help might build more trust with them than constant vilification and disdain?

"But Trump doesn't have a sincere bone in his body!" you say. "Trump is utterly incapable of empathy!" you say. And sure. You're right, of course. But what you comically, willfully, tragically, pathetically fail to understand is that the people who voted for Trump think you're no different from him. You've worked very hard to alienate half the country. Don't act so surprised that half the country treats you like an alien invasion.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 05:51 AM   #95
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe they voted for him not because they thought he'd actually fix it, but because they were convinced she would only make it worse. This is probably only a little bit about Trump's actual platform, and a lot about flipping a giant middle finger at Hillary the Progressive Statesman.
Judging by the Facebook memes, the fact that a minority of voters voted for Trump does look like it was all about flipping a giant middle finger not just at Clinton, but at the Republican establishment as well. I've seen a lot of posts claiming that when the establishment, R and D both, don't like you, it means you are for the people.

I can't imagine a clearer message of Do Not Want than to choose Trump instead of whatever you imagine people should want. Has it not occurred to you that this strategy of telling people that they should shut up, sit down, and let the elites do all their deciding for them, is not such a great strategy?
Indeed, letting people who know what they are doing make the decisions is a terrible strategy! The ignorance of those who are happy to watch the world burn is equal to the knowledge of those who can fix things. Of course, the rubes who think this are constantly spoon-fed this nonsense by the elites at FOX News (among others), but these elites are good because reasons.

Has it ever occurred to you that showing sincere empathy for the people you're supposedly trying to help might build more trust with them than constant vilification and disdain?

"But Trump doesn't have a sincere bone in his body!" you say. "Trump is utterly incapable of empathy!" you say. And sure. You're right, of course. But what you comically, willfully, tragically, pathetically fail to understand is that the people who voted for Trump think you're no different from him. You've worked very hard to alienate half the country. Don't act so surprised that half the country treats you like an alien invasion.
Golly, yeah, it sure wasn't people spreading bs memes about elites spreading "constant vilification and disdain" that made the people voting for Trump think elites are no better than Trump.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 05:54 AM   #96
NoahFence
Banned

The doom and gloom predictions are based on what his stated policies are, not some twisted translation of them. These are based on what he's said.

It seems a fair amount of people voted for him based on them being fully aware that he has no intention of putting forth what he campaigned on?

Am I getting that right?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:00 AM   #97
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What exactly will Trump try to accomplish?

Certainly nothing to solve the real problems of the country today.
More trickle-down won't safe the economy, and neither will reducing healthcare.

Oddly enough, the best things Trump will do is increase defence spending and build the wall, both of which will somewhat increase the economy, though in the most inefficient way possible.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:02 AM   #98
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, I predict Trump will beat HRC on November 8.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:03 AM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
No. I think he was elected because he was at least talking about those issues. I think most people realize he can't build a wall or impose religious tests on immigration.
Who can say? Those are two of his main policies and he can't just eject them a lot of them sure he said so many things that he can just ignore the inconvient ones, but those are core policies. People are not going to forget them, even trump supporters.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:05 AM   #100
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Er, no. He really is a moron.
But a true master of BS.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:08 AM   #101
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Those tend to be based on many of his campaign promises. Like how he will destroy news outlets that report facts and the the Trump Truth.

A man too unstable to be trusted by his allies with a twitter account is getting nuclear weapons.
Old 10th November 2016, 06:09 AM   #102
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But a true master of BS.
No, he's not even good at that.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:10 AM   #103
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
From a purely selfish PoV, my base premium is going up 35% next year; my actual monthly payment will go from $375 to $535, assuming my income doesn't change. Plus my deductible and copays are going up significantly. Further, the insurance I used to have was canceled because the plan wasn't Obamacare compliant. Finally, two years ago I was hospitalized, for the first time in more than 20 years, and my out-of-pocket expenses were about twice what they would have been if I'd had my old insurance.
What aspect of the old insurance was not compliant? Lifetime maximum?
Old 10th November 2016, 06:10 AM   #104
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, I predict Trump will beat HRC on November 8.
Not a chance. Have you seen the polls?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 06:10 AM   #105
Belz...
Fiend God

A man too unstable to be trusted by his allies with a twitter account is getting nuclear weapons.

Old 10th November 2016, 06:13 AM   #106
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
No, he's not even good at that.
How else could he be seen by so many as a great success dispite his failures and violations of laws and basic human decency?
Old 10th November 2016, 07:05 AM   #107
Kestrel
Philosopher

What aspect of the old insurance was not compliant? Lifetime maximum?
The primary reason for existing policies not being ACA compliant was having an annual or lifetime maximum. Grandfathered policies could fall short of most ACA requirements as long as they dropped the payout limits.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 07:58 AM   #108
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
I also think there is a good chance he gets assassinated. I thought the same thing about Obama too.
Leaving Pence in charge which could be even worse.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:05 AM   #109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The primary reason for existing policies not being ACA compliant was having an annual or lifetime maximum. Grandfathered policies could fall short of most ACA requirements as long as they dropped the payout limits.
Ah so the screwed if you get cancer kind of policies. I am sure those are going to make a comeback.
Old 10th November 2016, 08:07 AM   #110
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
Leaving Pence in charge which could be even worse.
From what I hear, Pence is Cruz lite, so yeah.

Old 10th November 2016, 08:11 AM   #111
NoahFence
Banned

Quote:
Me neither. This is a total validation of every guy that ever assaulted / abused / harassed a woman (or girl), on every level of the spectrum, from bosses calling female employees “sweety”, to all out rape and domestic assault.

And a total validation of every bully that ever picked on any other kid, for anything, on the playground, college campus, or social media. Not to mention those bullies that went into law enforcement or the military, that ever abused their positions of power and armament against non-white suspects, prisoners, or civilians here or abroad.

And a total validation of everyone that ever discriminated against anyone for anything.

A total validation of every corporation taking maximum advantage of employees, taxpayers, etc. He even said himself directly in a debate, that if “we” don’t want business guys like him taking full advantage of employees and tax loopholes, then it’s up to us to change those laws that allow him to be deplorable. Zero personal responsibility or accountability, for doing the right, if not forced.

It’s a perfect summation of everything that could possibly be wrong with being human.

I don’t think I will ever understand how this could happen either.
Sharing an email from my wife. Probably not the best thing to do but it's exactly how I feel.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:11 AM   #112
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That's the thing, right?

He's not going to build a wall or ban Muslims. He doesn't have the power to do that. Most of what he said campaigning is nonsensical, so we really have no idea what kind of president he will be.
The kind that courted the white supremacist crowd, while claiming he didn't really know what that was, even though his father was a member?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:15 AM   #113
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I get the impression that Trump is correct that he is very intelligent and so intelligent he can use that to convince the intelligent that he is a fool.

That in turn made them open to incorrect predictions...and they let their guard down.

Drop the sour grapes and get with the program.
Which program?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:27 AM   #114
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I'll take the sage words of Peter Townsend as my guide.

I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt as POTUS, but the man is a classless prick.

If anyone wants to burn me at the stake for voting third party have at it, but I could no more vote for Clinton or Trump than grow wings and fly.
He has empowered every obnoxious bully in the country. and now those cowardly bullies now have guns.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:29 AM   #115
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Such expression is reminiscent of truthers.
Time will tell.
Trump is who I find reminiscent of truthers. To an amazingly high degree, actually.
Old 10th November 2016, 08:35 AM   #116
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Trump is who I find reminiscent of truthers. To an amazingly high degree, actually.
Yea, that might have to do with people in his inner circle being truthers.
Old 10th November 2016, 08:36 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, he is a conspiracy theorist, so yeah.

Old 10th November 2016, 08:39 AM   #118
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Which program?
Ignore the fact that more people voted for Hillary than Trump and pretend that the GOP has a sweeping mandate to do whatever they want and not to complain at all.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 08:53 AM   #119
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am sure that the Trump Administration will be very good for Donald J. Trump, and I am also sure that Donald J. Trump will be very bad for the USA.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2016, 09:01 AM   #120
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Yea, that might have to do with people in his inner circle being truthers.
No question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics