IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Old 9th January 2021, 05:41 AM   #2641
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningPlease discuss the events in the Capitol Building in the appropriate thread. rather than in this one.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 9th January 2021, 06:26 AM   #2642
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Mod WarningPlease discuss the events in the Capitol Building in the appropriate thread. rather than in this one.
Posted By:Agatha
What about Selfie-cop? I'd say that was more on topic here.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:52 PM   #2643
deadrose
Illuminator

Seattle police have had a bad week. First they had to admit that their statements about extortion taking place in the CHOP/CHAZ last summer were completely rumor-based at best. As in, there was never any reported by anyone. They claim they heard the rumor and made those statements to get victims to come forward.

Now it turns out at least 2 SPD members were participants in the riots in DC. Chief has sworn to fire anyone who took part, which I'm sure will make for a fun battle with the union.

If anyone wants to pursue either of these subjects, we should take them to the appropriate threads, I just wanted to get the general SPD behavior marked in here.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:02 AM   #2644
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Seattle police have had a bad week. First they had to admit that their statements about extortion taking place in the CHOP/CHAZ last summer were completely rumor-based at best. As in, there was never any reported by anyone. They claim they heard the rumor and made those statements to get victims to come forward.

Now it turns out at least 2 SPD members were participants in the riots in DC. Chief has sworn to fire anyone who took part, which I'm sure will make for a fun battle with the union.

If anyone wants to pursue either of these subjects, we should take them to the appropriate threads, I just wanted to get the general SPD behavior marked in here.
SDP stays own-brand
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:45 AM   #2645
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Wrong thread.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th January 2021 at 05:54 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:54 AM   #2646
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
DC police made far more arrests at the height of Black Lives Matter protests than during the Capitol clash

The District's police made 61 "unrest-related" arrests on Wednesday, compared with 316 on June 1, when protesters and rioters filled city streets a week after Minneapolis police killed George Floyd.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/us/dc...nvs/index.html

Laws only apply to black people.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th January 2021 at 05:57 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:31 AM   #2647
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Online Police Communities Are Rife With Conspiracies And Support For The Capitol Riot

Law enforcement agencies across the country need to take a long, hard look at themselves and clean house if they ever expect to have the trust of the citizenry again.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:35 AM   #2648
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That is hardly surprising is it? I mean at the BLM protests the police had it easy, so many black people to choose from, but at the Capitol invasion the mob didnít cooperate and have black people - so how were the police meant to work out who to arrest?
Old 18th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #2649
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
The Seattle Police Department says an investigation is underway after a Seattle Police Officer reportedly refused to wear a mask inside a Seattle Emergency Room.
https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1350949270984257538

Investigation underway after semi-viral rant from a Seattle nurse about a cop that refused to wear a mask in the ER while surrounded by covid patients. The cop rudely dismissed the concerns of the medical staff and threw away paper masks that were given to him.

Every petty tyrant in this country wants to be a cop.
Old 18th January 2021, 09:53 AM   #2650
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1350949270984257538

Investigation underway after semi-viral rant from a Seattle nurse about a cop that refused to wear a mask in the ER while surrounded by covid patients. The cop rudely dismissed the concerns of the medical staff and threw away paper masks that were given to him.

Every petty tyrant in this country wants to be a cop.
Well if he was in a room of Covid patients, at least *he* won't be infecting *them*
Old 18th January 2021, 10:56 AM   #2651
sackett
Philosopher

ST says:

"Every petty tyrant in this country wants to be a cop."

Or is it the other way around?

No, not yet. I think.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:03 AM   #2652
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Well if he was in a room of Covid patients, at least *he* won't be infecting *them*
No, he'll just have picked up the virus while standing in a room full of it then wander back out into the population continuing not to wear a mask...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #2653
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, he'll just have picked up the virus while standing in a room full of it then wander back out into the population continuing not to wear a mask...
Plus, conservative folks are always going on about free enterprise, how religious nuts ought to be allowed to skip out on health insurance benefits, and bigoted bakers ought to be allowed to reject customers, but when it comes to the free enterprise of a store or hospital requiring their customers to wear masks, suddenly it doesn't apply. If they can't fire him for anything else they should fire him for being a ******** communist.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #2654
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Security in DC has had to go through and vet the LEOs assigned to Wednesday to remove the white nationalists.

That is the status of the US - law enforcement needs to weed out members who will support a violent insurrection.
Old 19th January 2021, 05:58 AM   #2655
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Security in DC has had to go through and vet the LEOs assigned to Wednesday to remove the white nationalists.

That is the status of the US - law enforcement needs to weed out members who will support a violent insurrection.
On that note:

Philly cop in charge of evaluating the social media of potential recruits turned out to be a Q freak who attended the "Stop the Steal" capitol riot.

Quote:
A Philadelphia police detective from the unit that investigates the backgrounds of potential recruits has been temporarily reassigned based on a tip that she attended the rally in Washington where President Donald Trump incited his followers to storm the Capitol.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210111.html
Old 19th January 2021, 07:04 AM   #2656
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Police shoot dead 91 year old women that called 911 to report a break-in.

https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/n...ay/6626422002/
Old 20th January 2021, 02:33 AM   #2657
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Her nephew, Jerry DeLemus is serving a six-year prison term for his role in Cliven Bundyís armed standoff in Nevada in 2014.

She, clearly, deserved to be shot.
Old 20th January 2021, 02:51 AM   #2658
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Her nephew, Jerry DeLemus is serving a six-year prison term for his role in Cliven Bundyís armed standoff in Nevada in 2014.

I'm sure the local Police Union agrees with you.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 08:50 AM   #2659
Modified
Philosopher

I love the passive language: "a deputy-involved shooting occurred".

The next time I get a speeding ticket I'm telling people "A me-involved speeding incident occurred".
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 08:53 AM   #2660
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
I love the passive language: "a deputy-involved shooting occurred".

The next time I get a speeding ticket I'm telling people "A me-involved speeding incident occurred".
I think they teach the exonerative tense in journalism school.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #2661
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
While obviously I agree with the absurdity of that position, I can see that there are practical difficulties in dealing with someone wielding a shotgun who is legally both deaf and blind.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:34 AM   #2662
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
While obviously I agree with the absurdity of that position, I can see that there are practical difficulties in dealing with someone wielding a shotgun who is legally both deaf and blind.

Dave
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!

(sorry, had a mental moment there)

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:21 AM   #2663
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

The way you present this makes it sound as if the lady called the cops about a break in, and then the cops showed up and without any contact or reason at all, just shot her out of the blue. It's a bit misleading, don't you think?

Rather than... the lady called the cops about a break in, they showed up and she came out of the house armed with a shot-gun. When the cops told her to drop the gun, she aimed it at them instead. Then they shot her.

She's legally deaf and blind, which likely means she didn't clearly hear the instructions and didn't see that they were cops. But the cops wouldn't have any reason to know that. Nor would they have known for certain that she's the one who called them in the first place.

It's being investigated - and it should. But I don't think there's a good justification for pouring even more gas on the fire here. Unless propaganda inciting civil unrest is your intent?
Old 20th January 2021, 11:33 AM   #2664
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The way you present this makes it sound as if the lady called the cops about a break in, and then the cops showed up and without any contact or reason at all, just shot her out of the blue. It's a bit misleading, don't you think?

Rather than... the lady called the cops about a break in, they showed up and she came out of the house armed with a shot-gun. When the cops told her to drop the gun, she aimed it at them instead. Then they shot her.

She's legally deaf and blind, which likely means she didn't clearly hear the instructions and didn't see that they were cops. But the cops wouldn't have any reason to know that. Nor would they have known for certain that she's the one who called them in the first place.

It's being investigated - and it should. But I don't think there's a good justification for pouring even more gas on the fire here. Unless propaganda inciting civil unrest is your intent?
Two weeks after right wing terrorists stormed the U.S. Capitol in a violent coup because of a steady diet of conspiracy theories from the president, other prominent Republicans, and conservative media, and this is where you make this stance?

Wow. Just... wow.

Bothsidesism has sunk to a new low.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #2665
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Well if the cops say so, it must be true.
Old 20th January 2021, 11:40 AM   #2666
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Two weeks after right wing terrorists stormed the U.S. Capitol in a violent coup because of a steady diet of conspiracy theories from the president, other prominent Republicans, and conservative media, and this is where you make this stance?

Wow. Just... wow.

Bothsidesism has sunk to a new low.
I haven't posted in a while.

Also... same kind of problem, don't you think? One group of jerks storming the capitol because of propaganda doesn't in any way excuse a different group using propaganda to incite violence for their cause.

How about everyone just stop with the propaganda and divisiveness?

Also, it's complete BS to proclaim that because something else happened in some other thread, I can't call out blatant rhetorical narration from self-proclaimed skeptics when I see it.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 20th January 2021 at 11:41 AM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #2667
Emily's Cat

Dupe
Old 20th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #2668
johnny karate

I haven't posted in a while.

Also... same kind of problem, don't you think? One group of jerks storming the capitol because of propaganda doesn't in any way excuse a different group using propaganda to incite violence for their cause.

How about everyone just stop with the propaganda and divisiveness?

Also, it's complete BS to proclaim that because something else happened in some other thread, I can't call out blatant rhetorical narration from self-proclaimed skeptics when I see it.
How about you spare us the lectures you conveniently direct to one side?

Let us know when left wing terrorists engage in a violent coup in an attempt to overturn an election and we can have a discussion about how both sides need to clean up their act.

Until then, your argument reeks of disingenuousness of the most cynical variety.
Old 20th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #2669
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Look it is clear, you don't call in the cops until after you deal with any intruders. Cops are way to violent and unpredictable for any kind of response that views defending ones home as a kind of right or anything. They can't be held responsible for their actions if people don't follow basic rules of waiting for the bodies to cool a bit before calling the cops. I mean they are not going to provide first aid to those shot so best wait a bit to call them in to make sure that you are safe from the corpses and can put down your gun.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #2670
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Such difficulties might have been mitigated in this particular case by standing off and observing the old dear stotting about her porch for a minute or so. I'm willing to bet that they didn't and just lit her, the **** up, as they routinely do.

I'd love to know how many rounds were fired,

"When asked how many rounds deputies fired at Francois, Miller said that was not being released due to the ongoing investigation."

Can't see any reason to withhold such info, other than it's gonna show them in a very poor light.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:19 AM   #2671
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Well, the only person there who isn't a cop is dead, so the only story we're going to get is from the police. I have a feeling the official report will exonerate the shooter.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:24 AM   #2672
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

She's legally deaf and blind,
Well, the good news is that when she was shot, she didn't see it coming...

(too soon? yeah, likely)
Old 21st January 2021, 07:27 AM   #2673
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well we can add the disabled to the list of people who do not qualify to defend their property in the castle doctrine.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:55 AM   #2674
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
News:
@theappeal has obtained video of a Vallejo police lieutenant beating a man in a holding cell. The same lieutenant—nicknamed "Captain Taser"—killed a man in 2003, tased a man 3x through a window in 2006, and assaulted a man while off duty in 2014.
Serial brutalizer having no problems in his career advancement.

https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/sta...57101062660097
Old 21st January 2021, 12:50 PM   #2675
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Nessie
Why do so many on this forum keep on defending the behaviour of their police and how they are policed?

Indeed....The police in the USA are out of control and quite scary!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:26 PM   #2676
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Serial brutalizer having no problems in his career advancement.

https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/sta...57101062660097
Sounds like High Brass material! Promot, promote, promote!!
Old 21st January 2021, 07:44 PM   #2677
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Sounds like High Brass material! Promot, promote, promote!!
What a shame it didn't come out in time for a presidential pardon. He could have joined Joe Arpaio and other heroes of the American way.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:54 AM   #2678
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

New York police still using chokeholds despite being disallowed by official procedures.

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ds-nypd-videos
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:50 AM   #2679
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
New York police still using chokeholds despite being disallowed by official procedures.

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ds-nypd-videos
Chokeholds had been explicitly against policy since the 90's, which didn't stop the NYPD from using one to kill Eric Garner.

Since then, the city has made chokeholds illegal, but laws don't apply to cops.
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:52 AM   #2680
johnny karate

TN man who participated in an attempted insurrection released before trial, in part because judge pointed out that heís pro-police.

TN man arrested for disrespecting deceased police office on social media (which is crappy, but not actually a crime) held on $76,000 bond.

For those keeping score at home, itís considered worse to disrespect a dead cop than it is to be involved in a violent coup that led the the murder of a cop.

Blue lives matter... sorta.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events