IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 7th January 2021, 02:35 AM   #81
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Trump's legacy shows the diversity of America. Thanks to his unprecedented leadership, in just a few weeks, the US will have:

- a catholic President (only the second one)
- a female, Black, Indian, baptist Vice-President
- a female, catholic Speaker of the House
- a jewish Senate Majority Leader
Old 7th January 2021, 02:37 AM   #82
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But his greatest accomplishment:

He totally demolished James Buchanan in the contest for the Worst President.
And yet, among Republicans, he's the best President ever, both in a direct poll and in terms of his approval numbers.

President Trump is exactly the President that 74 million Americans recently voted for
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:47 AM   #83
Mumbles
Philosopher

I was thinking about this one. Up until yesterday, I was thinking I still had to give it to Buchanan, but after this...Toupee Fiasco may have pulled it off.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:03 AM   #84
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

Yeah, and the Van Buren family is also grateful for his service.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:13 AM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
And yet, among Republicans, he's the best President ever, both in a direct poll and in terms of his approval numbers.

President Trump is exactly the President that 74 million Americans recently voted for
Ever get bored with the Cassandra routine?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:15 AM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Yeah, and the Van Buren family is also grateful for his service.

The Hardings and Nixon is also gratful.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #87
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Did I state anything factually incorrect ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Being correct but ignored is a flaw now?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:28 PM   #89
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Inciting an insurrection that resulted in the storming of the Capitol for the first time in 206 years.... does that count as an "achievement"?
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:38 PM   #90
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Inciting an insurrection that resulted in the storming of the Capitol for the first time in 206 years.... does that count as an "achievement"?
If Steam's achievements taught me anything... yes, absolutely.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:02 AM   #91
Collin237
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
No new wars is a big accomplishment for a US president.
The Kurds were being terrorized by Syria. Now they're being terrorized by Syria and Turkey. Does that count as a new war?
Collin237 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:21 AM   #92
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Collin237 View Post
The Kurds were being terrorized by Syria. Now they're being terrorized by Syria and Turkey. Does that count as a new war?
No, it only counts as a war if the US is actively involved.
Old 20th January 2021, 04:19 AM   #93
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I did hear from multiple Trump Defenders how his anti-lobbying EO proved that he he was 'draining the Swamp'.

Haven't gotten any reply about the fact that Trump rescinded that order just before leaving.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 04:27 AM   #94
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I did hear from multiple Trump Defenders how his anti-lobbying EO proved that he he was 'draining the Swamp'.

Haven't gotten any reply about the fact that Trump rescinded that order just before leaving.
Ah well it's like this......

He drained the swamp therefore anyone associated with his administration is, by definition, free of the taint of swamp. As a consequence they should be free to immediately go into lucrative lobbying positions.

It's only people from prior (and one presumes, subsequent) administrations who should have to wait before waddling up to the trough.

Sound about right ?
Old 20th January 2021, 10:50 AM   #95
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
No new wars is a big accomplishment for a US president.
Not sure if that was a serious comment or not. But assuming it was...

In my opinion, "No new wars" is not necessarily an accomplishment.

The world is a complex place, with constantly changing political situations... New politicians and other notable figures rise and fall, social situations get altered, etc. While starting a preemptive war for no reason would be considered a negative, not all military conflicts are the same.

Most people would consider a military response to 9/11 to be justified, as the U.S. was attacked by foreign actors in Afghanistan, and it was unlikely that further attacks would have been prevented without an invasion. And Obama's involvement in the Libyan conflict was understandable: the U.S. did not initiate the conflict, and civilians were being targeted.

Now, it is true that Trump did not involve the U.S. in any new wars (although probably not for lack of trying... his handling of Iran certainly amounted to pretty loud sabre rattling.) But that seemed to be more a case of dumb luck... the U.S. was not directly attacked in that time (neither was it attacked under Obama... so no gold star for Trup there), and there were no surprise global conflicts that would have required international attention.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:02 AM   #96
Chanakya

Just read this page, so possibly this may have been covered in one of the earlier pages.

Trump's obvious, and very important, if unintended, contribution has been to show up, finger-in-eye, can-no-longer-be-ignored, those glaring inefficiencies and loopholes crying out to be set right. Any lesser a montstrosity than Trump, and they might not have stood out so. Any more or smarter than Trump, and they may have broken the nation for good. As it is, it was a great wake-up-call, to set these administrative issues right.

Yes, political fissures too, obviously, but here I'm speaking of the administrative stuff, easily enough fixed (compared to the far more difficult political stuff).

Like, 1. After the election, and up till the next administration takes over, drastically limit all executive powers. Barring emergencies, preferably do away with all overreaching powers of the lame-duck, caretaker President.

2. Bring down the huge gap between vote and the next administration taking over.

3. Remove the Pardon thing. Or at least, require all pardons to necessarily be backed by a two-thirds mahority. (Either no pardons, or there's a vote in the House, once a year, for all pardon candidates, and the Prez can pardon only those that get the two-thirds majority support. Or something along those lines.)

Those three, off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. Fires to put out there always will be, but the Biden administration should not let go the opportunity created by Trump's sheer grotesquery to push through some of these long-needed reforms. The horror that was Trump will then have served a useful purpose, if this is done.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #97
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Since that POS Trump is finally out of the White House, now I no longer have to worry every day about him starting a war, starting a fight with the news media, starting a fight with Democrats, or starting a fight with someone/anyone else.

That is about the only half-way positive thing that Trump has done. Is to leave the White House when he was supposed to leave.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:38 AM   #98
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Since that POS Trump is finally out of the White House, now I no longer have to worry every day about him starting a war
Did you worry about Obama starting wars?

Because he actually did, and Trump didn't.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:49 AM   #99
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Actually, no he (Obama) didn't.

He got the U.S. involved in Libya, but Obama didn't start that war... it was already a conflict before Obama joined in the bombing campaign. And there was that 'war' with ISIS, but that was in response to attacks initiated by the terrorist organizations.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 20th January 2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Clarified first sentence
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 11:50 AM   #100
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I'd forgotten about this thread. What a perfect place to drop this video. Take it away, Beau.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yeah. I'll be sharing this one. Trumpkins need to see it.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 12:06 PM   #101
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Actually, no he didn't.

He got the U.S. involved in Libya, but Obama didn't start that war... it was already a conflict before Obama joined in the bombing campaign. And there was that 'war' with ISIS, but that was in response to attacks initiated by the terrorist organizations.
Look, you gotta give Trumpers a pass. We can't expect them to understand complex concepts like "start" or "war".
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 01:05 PM   #102
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I'd forgotten about this thread. What a perfect place to drop this video. Take it away, Beau.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Yeah. I'll be sharing this one. Trumpkins need to see it.
Not necessarily a bad (or inaccurate) video... but he should have provided an emphasis right in the video where he got the list of 'fascist points/signs' from.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #103
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Also, to be fair, there's different lists of the traits of facsism, and they have a tendency to vary a great deal in detail. Beau picked one that fit Trump like a glove.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #104
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

If Obama had started a war, it would have been for good reasons, after other options had been exhausted, and after proper consideration for the consequences, and not as a result of insults thrown around on Twitter.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:16 PM   #105
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
If Obama had started a war,
What do you mean, "if"?

Quote:
it would have been for good reasons, after other options had been exhausted, and after proper consideration for the consequences, and not as a result of insults thrown around on Twitter.
You are describing your fears about Trump, not the reality of him.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #106
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Also, Obama didn't in fact start any wars.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:19 PM   #107
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

For fairness' sake, I wasn't really worried about Trump starting a war abroad.

I was, however, very concerned about him overthrowing democracy at home. I can't remember ever worrying about that with a previous POTUS, not even Bush Jr.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:27 PM   #108
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

He sure gosh-darn tried on 6 Jan.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd January 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #109
dirtywick
Illuminator

have we established which war did obama start?
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #110
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
For fairness' sake, I wasn't really worried about Trump starting a war abroad.

I was, however, very concerned about him overthrowing democracy at home. I can't remember ever worrying about that with a previous POTUS, not even Bush Jr.
People here seem to think that being worried about something is evidence in and of itself that they should have been worried. It's quite strange.
Old 20th January 2021, 03:41 PM   #111
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
have we established which war did obama start?
All of them, the narcissist that he is.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #112
catsmate
No longer the 1

Mmmmm........no.

And Obama didn't let four hundred thousand USAians be killed by a disease because of his stupidity, ineptitude and cowardice.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #113
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And Obama didn't let four hundred thousand USAians be killed by a disease because of his stupidity, ineptitude and cowardice.
No, that was Biden. Biden killed all of them. There's proof. Sooper Seekrit Proof (TM).
Old 20th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #114
wareyin
Philosopher

People here seem to think that being worried about something is evidence in and of itself that they should have been worried. It's quite strange.
Nah, what's strange is when people make claims that are demonstrably at odds with reality, famously refuse to support those claims, then expect to be taken seriously the next time they make laughably wrong claims.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 05:41 PM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Nah, what's strange is when people make claims that are demonstrably at odds with reality, famously refuse to support those claims, then expect to be taken seriously the next time they make laughably wrong claims.
You mean like claim a dictionary's definition of a word is wrong because it doesn't agree with their definition?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:31 AM   #116
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Good point. For example, some people think that, just because a lot of people have been convinced by a lengthy disinformation campaign to be worried about voter fraud, the voting system must therefore be worryingly prone to voter fraud. As you say, quite strange.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:16 AM   #117
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

A simple rule I go by (which didn't need to be stated until Trump and his excusers came along) eliminates a bunch of the suggested examples of Trump's achievements: If you're in a job that enables you to just give orders and have people follow them, giving orders is not an achievement.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:35 AM   #118
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You mean like claim a dictionary's definition of a word is wrong because it doesn't agree with their definition?
i have a feeling there's going to be some argument about what the definition of the word "start" is soon
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:37 AM   #119
catsmate
No longer the 1

He's almost certainly ended discussion on the matter of "Who was America's worst President?"
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:14 AM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
i have a feeling there's going to be some argument about what the definition of the word "start" is soon
Or the definition of the word "definition".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics