IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brad Raffensberger , donald trump , election fraud charges , Georgia elections , politics scandals

Old 4th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
As much as I wish that were true, it won't.

I'm not saying she will win or lose the election, I don't believe it will matter. She was already going to live or die with Trump. Most of the votes in Georgia have already been cast.
It seemed like it with the news reports on record numbers of early votes, but they amount to about half of the active registered voters.

Still it's very promising.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:21 PM   #202
dirtywick
Illuminator

i think trump exposes the myth that success in the US is based on ability, hard work, or merit.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:26 PM   #203
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It seemed like it with the news reports on record numbers of early votes, but they amount to about half of the active registered voters.

Still it's very promising.
I'm not getting my hopes up, but neither am I predicting doom.
Old 4th January 2021, 08:27 PM   #204
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
OK, another thing unhinged about that phone call:

Flipping Georgia doesn't do it for Trump. It doesn't even come close. Any communication he has with Pennsylvania is going to be 10 times worse if it hasn't already been. (Frankly I can't keep up, which is his goal).
If he got Georgia to flip, he has proof that his claims of voter fraud were correct all along. He would tell these other states that he has been saying they had voter fraud and now Georgia confirmed his claims and his claims are true in other states as well.

Even if those states don't go for it, he can bring it to Congress. Tell them they were about to confirm the Georgia electoral votes even under objection and now it has been proven that they were wrong. They were going to approve invalid votes. He would try to convince member of Congress that they are about to make the same grave error for the other contested states.

Maybe get them to go with the Cruz plan for a 10-day audit. Or at least get the to reject the votes from the contested states to get Biden under 270. Then have Pence declare that the "whole number of electors" is actually 538 and not 538 minus the rejected votes and declare nobody got a majority, sending it to the House.

Or failing that, ask the Supreme Court to expedite the pending case now that a state has confirmed election fraud. And so on...
Old 4th January 2021, 08:40 PM   #205
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
If he got Georgia to flip, he has proof that his claims of voter fraud were correct all along. He would tell these other states that he has been saying they had voter fraud and now Georgia confirmed his claims and his claims are true in other states as well.

Even if those states don't go for it, he can bring it to Congress. Tell them they were about to confirm the Georgia electoral votes even under objection and now it has been proven that they were wrong. They were going to approve invalid votes. He would try to convince member of Congress that they are about to make the same grave error for the other contested states.

Maybe get them to go with the Cruz plan for a 10-day audit. Or at least get the to reject the votes from the contested states to get Biden under 270. Then have Pence declare that the "whole number of electors" is actually 538 and not 538 minus the rejected votes and declare nobody got a majority, sending it to the House.

Or failing that, ask the Supreme Court to expedite the pending case now that a state has confirmed election fraud. And so on...
IMO, this is essentially a sound analysis

Georgia is the flipped state with the smallest number of votes to "find" - he will see it as the first "domino" state, if he can knock that one over, he hopes it will know the rest over.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:41 PM   #206
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm not getting my hopes up, but neither am I predicting doom.
Cautiously optimistic here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:48 PM   #207
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I'd argue that this call changed the political environment a lot going into the count on Monday. I think it absolutely takes the wind out of the sails of the Republicans challenging the votes. Sure, they still will challenge the votes but the debate is going to make them look awful. I bet more than a few Senators are questioning their decision to challenge the vote.
This call is going to totally mess up my electoral count bingo list.
Old 4th January 2021, 08:58 PM   #208
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
IMO, this is essentially a sound analysis.

Georgia is the flipped state with the smallest number of votes to "find" - he will see it as the first "domino" state, if he can knock that one over, he hopes it will know the rest over.
Seconded.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:02 PM   #209
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Stacy Abrams was in an interview today on MSNBC. She described how purging of voters rolls disenfranchised as many as a million voters when she ran against Kemp for governor of GA. Kemp had Raffensperger's job at the same time he was running for governor.

I wonder if any of these guys will reflect on their voter suppression efforts after this.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #210
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
IMO, this is essentially a sound analysis

Also, Georgia leaked the call. I wonder if other States may have similar calls but haven't dropped them in the media? Trump may be doing the same thing in all the close calls, but only one State so far has a leaker.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This call is going to totally mess up my electoral count bingo list.
Keep in mind that 5 minute speeches are allotted for each politician in the 2 hour period and they can't repeat. So we have 12 people speaking for objecting to the votes and 87 against. Perdue won't be present as he is not a Senator unless his re-election is certified which it won't be in time if he wins.

So it will be 3 or 4 Senators at most speaking for the objection and and 18 speaking against during each session. The House has more nutjobs supporting the objection. Still, they will be outnumbered 2.5 to 1.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:13 PM   #212
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Also, Georgia leaked the call. I wonder if other States may have similar calls but haven't dropped them in the media? Trump may be doing the same thing in all the close calls, but only one State so far has a leaker.
Raffensperger was only going to use it if Trump lied about him.

In other words, he knew he was going to leak the call.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:30 PM   #213
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Raffensperger was only going to use it if Trump lied about him.

In other words, he knew he was going to leak the call.
So how many other States you reckon might have a thumb drive still waiting to meet the media?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 09:38 PM   #214
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
So how many other States you reckon might have a thumb drive still waiting to meet the media?
I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me that after Trump is out, some of those calls will surface.
Old 4th January 2021, 09:54 PM   #215
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Bill Kristol and Brian Williams on MSNBC just now agree that both Cruz and Hawley are aiming for the 2024 POTUS run. Apparently they think it makes them look tough.

Cruz cloaks his attack on Democracy in a supposed rational plan to have an election commission look at the situation. I suppose that is convincing to some of the non-Trumpanzees in the GOP who haven't totally gone over the cliff but are still too stupid to realize more than enough investigating has been done and there is no evidence there of any election fraud.

Kristol thinks it will come back to bite them all.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:13 PM   #216
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
It also raises the interesting question of how this gets dodged 18 times. The logistics of it.

I mean, you can only be in a meeting or whatever so often before it becomes obvious.
Trump is a master at not grasping the obvious.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:05 AM   #217
slyjoe
Master Poster

Keep in mind that 5 minute speeches are allotted for each politician in the 2 hour period and they can't repeat. So we have 12 people speaking for objecting to the votes and 87 against. Perdue won't be present as he is not a Senator unless his re-election is certified which it won't be in time if he wins.

So it will be 3 or 4 Senators at most speaking for the objection and and 18 speaking against during each session. The House has more nutjobs supporting the objection. Still, they will be outnumbered 2.5 to 1.
The highlighted is something I have wondered about. Loeffler said she would vote with the Cruz crowd. Isn't she in the same boat? Or is there some weird issue about special elections?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:10 AM   #218
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The highlighted is something I have wondered about. Loeffler said she would vote with the Cruz crowd. Isn't she in the same boat? Or is there some weird issue about special elections?
Yeah, the difference is she's appointed to the seat. Purdue's full term expired Sunday.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:12 AM   #219
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yeah, the difference is she's appointed to the seat. Purdue's full term expired Sunday.
That's kind of what I figured. So when does her term expire? I thought she was up for election so her term expired at the same time.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:18 AM   #220
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Perdue's terms ends January 3. He is in the runoff election because he didn't get more than 50% of the vote. The vote was very close and a Libertarian candidate got a small amount of the vote, but enough to keep Perdue from getting 50%.

Johnny Isakson was elected in 2016 with a 6 year term expiring January 2023. He resigned due to health reasons at the end of 2019. Loeffler was appointed by Governor Kemp to fill his seat, which doesn't expire until January 2023. But that is only a temporary appointment requiring an election for that seat at the next election.

Perdue is not seated because the term for his seat has expired and nobody has yet been elected to fill the new seat. Loeffler remains seated because the term for that seat does not expire until 2023, but the person filling that seat can be changed by this election. Loeffler remains in that seat until there is a new person elected.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 5th January 2021 at 01:21 AM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 01:19 AM   #221
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

That's kind of what I figured. So when does her term expire? I thought she was up for election so her term expired at the same time.
It doesn't expire per se. She stays until the special election is settled.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 02:58 AM   #222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A Tonight Show with Stephen Colbert tonight had this funny satirical opening:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

For anyone who can't see it because it's blocked in your countries:
It's a parody using the song I just called to say I love you: I just called to steal the election.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 5th January 2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old 5th January 2021, 03:24 AM   #223
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's a parody using the song I just called to say I love you: I just called to steal the election.
Brilliant!
Old 5th January 2021, 03:54 AM   #224
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
All I would hope for is that someone was actually in the office when this happened.

I mean, the look on their face when they hear me say "The President? Again? Can you tell him I'm in an important meeting" and see me hang up the phone with an exasperated manner and then asking "I'm sorry. Where were we?"
“We were all about done, just need to know if you want the new office plants in green or grey pots?”
Old 5th January 2021, 03:59 AM   #225
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
A third option is that he's out of his ******* mind and utterly unable to distinguish fantasy from reality.
I think the evidence is overwhelming that he is seriously mentally ill/disabled. He is only not in treatment because his wealth has shielded him from the consequences of his illness.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:11 AM   #226
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I AGREE

Please tell me that was written by Randy Rainbow.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:12 AM   #227
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

His advisors and aides may have a plan and are trying to steer him in a particular direction but Trump is not coming up with any plan. All he knows is that he wants to be reelected so he will shout, scream, sulk and lash out at anyone as that is all he knows and since his father died all he has ever had to do to get his own way.
Old 5th January 2021, 05:40 AM   #228
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Just hypothetically speaking, how would you feel about someone who believed their choice was between a witch or a clown, and that a clown President would be more fun for the next four years?
We had such a horrid choice for Governor of Louisiana a number of years back: Edwin Edwards vs. David Duke. The slogan was "Vote for the crook! It's important!" Which we did.
Old 5th January 2021, 05:58 AM   #229
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think the evidence is overwhelming that he is seriously mentally ill/disabled. He is only not in treatment because his wealth has shielded him from the consequences of his illness.
Narcissism and similar personality disorders are considered by a lot of practitioners to be functionally untreatable, and people who have those conditions more rarely seek treatment because they don't perceive that there's anything wrong with them.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:37 AM   #230
Monza
Alta Viro

Are there any Senators or Congresspeople who plan to contest the election results of their state? I was just wondering how that would go. For example, someone from Georgia stands up and says there was voter fraud in Georgia during the exact election that put them into Congress?

I still can't figure out Ted Cruz. He's out front now in this election challenge, but he has been personally accused by Trump of rigging an election when he beat Trump in the Iowa(?) primary back in 2016.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:44 AM   #231
Monza
Alta Viro

No one yet has mentioned one of my favorite quotes from the transcript. It provides insight into how Trump evaluates lawyers.

Quote:
Trump: No, they were 100 percent for Biden. 100 percent. There wasn't a Trump vote in the whole group. Why don't you want to find this, Ryan? What's wrong with you? I heard your lawyer is very difficult, actually, but I'm sure you're a good lawyer. You have a nice last name.
But, but I'm just curious why wouldn't, why do you keep fighting this thing? It just doesn't make sense.
Seriously, though. I've read through the entire transcript and Trump's way of speaking is clearly abnormal. He goes off on non-sequiturs like this quite often.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:54 AM   #232
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Seriously, though. I've read through the entire transcript and Trump's way of speaking is clearly abnormal. He goes off on non-sequiturs like this quite often.
I think we all know that by now from hearing him speak often enough, and yeah, even allowing for the fact that most people's speech looks ridiculous on the page, it is often really impossible to tell where he is even going when reading something he has said. He barely gets halfway into a thought before he is off on another one.

It's an odd mixture of demands, threats, flattery, fawning and bigging himself up all at the same time.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 07:59 AM   #233
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No one yet has mentioned one of my favorite quotes from the transcript. It provides insight into how Trump evaluates lawyers.

Listen to him when he is trying to read how many votes he needs. I can imagine he is squinting at his sharpie scribbled number, then when he needs to add one to that figure he pauses as he tries to do the maths. Listen also for how he says “votes” both times. It is as if he has no comprehension of what the word means. It really does convey someone who has cognitive problems - whether that is because of old age or a disease or even being stupid is a question for debate.

Given the apparent decline over the last 10 years (by viewing him talking in older recordings) I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t suffering with vascular dementia:

Quote:
NHS England

Symptoms of vascular dementia

Vascular dementia can start suddenly or begin slowly over time.

Symptoms include:
  • slowness of thought
  • difficulty with planning and understanding
  • problems with concentration
  • changes to your mood, personality or behaviour
  • feeling disoriented and confused
  • difficulty walking and keeping balance
  • symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, such as problems with memory and language (many people with vascular dementia also have Alzheimer's disease)

These problems can make daily activities increasingly difficult and someone with the condition may eventually be unable to look after themselves.

Last edited by Darat; 5th January 2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Dementia
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:02 AM   #234
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Has there been any confirmation if it was a lawsuit meeting or not?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #235
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Please tell me that was written by Randy Rainbow.
Randy only spoofs using Broadway show tunes.
Old 5th January 2021, 08:14 AM   #236
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Just hypothetically speaking, how would you feel about someone who believed their choice was between a witch or a clown, and that a clown President would be more fun for the next four years?
I'd think they were idiots for believing witchcraft is real.
Old 5th January 2021, 08:38 AM   #237
wareyin
Philosopher

Are there any Senators or Congresspeople who plan to contest the election results of their state? I was just wondering how that would go. For example, someone from Georgia stands up and says there was voter fraud in Georgia during the exact election that put them into Congress?
Here in GA, our newly elected Representative Greene is planning to contest the results. She has already said only the Presidential results were fraudulent, not the rest of the votes on the same ballots. She's a special one, a QAnon quack who has already gotten into shouting matches with Reps from her own party.

I still can't figure out Ted Cruz. He's out front now in this election challenge, but he has been personally accused by Trump of rigging an election when he beat Trump in the Iowa(?) primary back in 2016.
Yeah, Cruz knows that the people falling for the fake fraud claims aren't smart or aware enough to remember he was accused by the same guy for the same rigging 4 years ago.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 08:38 AM   #238
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Listen to him when he is trying to read how many votes he needs. I can imagine he is squinting at his sharpie scribbled number, then when he needs to add one to that figure he pauses as he tries to do the maths. Listen also for how he says “votes” both times. It is as if he has no comprehension of what the word means. It really does convey someone who has cognitive problems - whether that is because of old age or a disease or even being stupid is a question for debate.
That was exactly the impression I had.
Old 5th January 2021, 09:04 AM   #239
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Delete

Last edited by acbytesla; 5th January 2021 at 09:06 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's much worse listening to that call. The transcript doesn't do it justice. Trump at times seems slow with dementia and at other times like a coked up Charlie Sheen. But the Secretary and his lawyer barely got a word in.

As for listening to the whole thing. I both recommend listening to it and not listening to it. Listen to it to comprehend just how wrong, desperate and nuts Trump is and don't listen to it because it is painful realizing this country made this moron President. I cringed through the whole thing always wanting to stop.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics