IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 8th January 2021, 10:14 AM   #361
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Okay, so that guy has a good excuse, but why the **** did the other two not refuse this "honor" from this "president" after everything that's happened this week?
That "guy" was a woman. Just an FYI.

Well, they are both foreigners.

Quote:
Okay, yeah, that might explain it.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:22 AM   #362
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
:
It's been a while, but I seem to recall that there were a lot of accusations that Babe Didrikson was a guy, because she was way too good for a girl.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #363
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
FWIW, I demonstrated at that counter-inaugural, and was pretty badly beaten by the D.C. police.
Dirty hippy.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:25 AM   #364
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There’s at least a bit of precedence:[i]

Richard Nixon's inauguration in 1969 was accompanied by an elaborate three-day counter-inauguration, replete with its own parade, reviewing stand, inaugral ball and workshops on the nature of the political struggle. Thousands came to march, to protest, to highlight, in all the raucous and gaudy ways the times seemed to demand, the bitter divisiveness that racked the country.
That was a protest, not an attempt to create a counter-narrative though.

Being mad your candidate lost the election is one thing. Screaming until reality itself reforms around you is another.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:28 AM   #365
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Pelosi asks Joint Chiefs to keep nuclear codes away from Trump:
Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told colleagues in a letter Friday that she had spoken to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, about keeping an “unstable president” from accessing nuclear codes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-live-updates/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:28 AM   #366
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

So, not named after Babe Ruth, then?
Old 8th January 2021, 10:30 AM   #367
catsmate
No longer the 1

I see Tantrump's latest childishness is to refuse to attend Biden's inauguration...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:36 AM   #368
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Pelosi asks Joint Chiefs to keep nuclear codes away from Trump:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-live-updates/
I don't know. He might just try to nuke something out of spite after hearing that.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:37 AM   #369
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's no way Trump could memorize a gold code.

He's be sitting there for hours trying to authorize the launch with "MAN CAMERA WOMAN TV"
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:46 AM   #370
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
There's no way Trump could memorize a gold code.

He's be sitting there for hours trying to authorize the launch with "MAN CAMERA WOMAN TV"

He doesn't have to memorize anything. But maybe somebody could steal his biscuit.

Quote:
But in truth, there is no button. Instead, the president has a card, commonly called the “biscuit,” with the nuclear launch codes on it. He also has a briefcase, nicknamed the “football,” carried by a military aide, with the equipment and the information needed to launch a nuclear strike.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/06/polit...ton/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 10:48 AM   #371
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He doesn't have to memorize anything. But maybe somebody could steal his biscuit.
The codes on "the biscuit" are randomized, several are useless and don't work, and the President has to memorize which one is the correct one for just that reason.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #372
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The codes on "the biscuit" are randomized, several are useless and don't work, and the President has to memorize which one is the correct one for just that reason.
Let's hope that after three tries he gets locked out, like an ATM card.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:59 AM   #373
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Dirty hippy.
You think?

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 11:00 AM   #374
slyjoe
Master Poster

So, not named after Babe Ruth, then?
Nicknamed after Babe Ruth the baseball player, not Baby Ruth the candy bar. Which was named after Grover Cleveland's daughter (I think, off the top of my head).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 8th January 2021 at 11:02 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 11:04 AM   #375
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Nicknamed after Babe Ruth the baseball player, not Baby Ruth the candy bar. Which was named after Grover Cleveland's daughter (I think, off the top of my head).

Well, if you're going to go giving her a manly nickname like "Babe", you're hardly in a position to complain about people not knowing her gender.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:14 AM   #376
slyjoe
Master Poster

Well, if you're going to go giving her a manly nickname like "Babe", you're hardly in a position to complain about people not knowing her gender.
She got the nickname long before I was born.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:29 AM   #377
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

What glorious hair.

I mean, just what I thought!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 11:31 AM   #378
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's what Nestles Chocolate company says. But reality seems more likely that Nestles named it "Baby" instead of "Babe" to avoid paying royalties.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:35 AM   #379
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I don't know. He might just try to nuke something out of spite after hearing that.
He's going to try to order a nuclear strike on DC during the inauguration. That's why he's not going to be there.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:40 AM   #380
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 11:41 AM   #381
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm trying to remember the name of the NAZI white supremacist on Trump's staff. The name totally escapes me. The guy had spoken brazenly of ending democracy in the US. Skinny bald guy

Help me.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:43 AM   #382
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm trying to remember the name of the NAZI white supremacist on Trump's staff. The name totally escapes me. The guy had spoken brazenly of ending democracy in the US. Skinny bald guy

Help me.
Stephen Miller.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:47 AM   #383
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.
Biden should Tweet back “You weren’t invited”
Old 8th January 2021, 11:51 AM   #384
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He's going to try to order a nuclear strike on DC during the inauguration. That's why he's not going to be there.
You think you're joking, don't you?
Old 8th January 2021, 11:53 AM   #385
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You think you're joking, don't you?
Nope. I put nothing past that evil idiotic insane sack of crap. If he'd had a single shred of decency he'd have killed himself two days ago.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:59 AM   #386
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Stephen Miller.
Thanks. I'm curious about his role in all of this.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:03 PM   #387
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Stephen Miller.
I would recommend taking a gander at the portrayal of Dominic Cummings in the current incarnation of Spittin Image. Reminds me a lot of that creepy guy.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:08 PM   #388
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

No

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/baby-ruth/
Old 8th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #389
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Stephen Miller.
Steven Miller pushed the idea last month of having alternative electors as a way to win.

He said yesterday that "yesterday was a bad day".

What does that mean?

Congress approved Biden as President and our coup didn't work?
Old 8th January 2021, 12:17 PM   #390
Cain
Straussian

Simple. The authentic code is underlined in Sharpie.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:21 PM   #391
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Simple. The authentic code is underlined in Sharpie.
The password is . . . Big Mac.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #392
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC
As President @realDonaldTrump stated last night, it is time to heal and move on.

If Speaker Pelosi pushes impeachm ent in the last days of the Trump presidency it will do more harm than good.I’m hopeful President-elect Biden sees the damage that would be done from such action.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:43 PM   #393
dirtywick
Illuminator

jesus christ lindsey
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #394
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kaitlan Collins CNN

One of President Trump's closest confidants and top aides, Hope Hicks, is discussing resigning before he leaves office, according to two people. She has told people if she does, she would likely leave within the next 48 hours. It's not clear she has made a decision.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #395
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC
As President @realDonaldTrump stated last night, it is time to heal and move on.

If Speaker Pelosi pushes impeachm ent in the last days of the Trump presidency it will do more harm than good.I’m hopeful President-elect Biden sees the damage that would be done from such action.
Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
jesus christ lindsey
Graham has always been one of the most two faced sidekicks in history.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #396
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
jesus christ lindsey
Brown-nosing at its finest.
Old 8th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #397
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Biden asked a question about whether he supports Trump's impeachment answers "I have thought for a long time that President Trump was not fit to hold the job. That is why I ran. What the Congress decides to do is for them to decide,"
Old 8th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #398
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
... and Joe is glad that Trump isn't showing up on his inauguration.

ETA: ... but he'd "be honored" to have Pence there, because he says they should stick to the traditional ways of transfering power. On whether Ted Cruz etc. should resign, he essentially said "Naah... I just want to see them soundly beaten the next time." Which is good, although I fear the voters' political memory isn't anywhere near long enough.

BTW, listening to Biden... at least when you know he was a stutterer, you can sort of hear the traces of that. But I must say that it's refreshing to listen to a soon-to-be-POTUS who not only speaks in full sentences but also makes coherent points and doesn't ooze BS.

Last edited by timhau; 8th January 2021 at 01:08 PM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #399
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC

Right- after two months of doing his damndest to divide and fracture, enabled by folks like you, now, when there's no more place to retreat for either of you, is the time for healing. Maybe the time for worrying about whether actions could do more harm than good was when it was your actions that would be the difference.

So...**** you, Lindsey.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:03 PM   #400
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

... and Joe is glad that Trump isn't showing up on his inauguration.
But Pence is welcome if he wants to attend.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics