IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th January 2021, 09:57 PM   #201
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Well, I've always heard he [Eric Trump] was the dumb one...
Finally - I say FINALLY - a rumor you can take to the bank.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:16 PM   #202
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Vs. a massive death count? Yes, actually. Eventually all these people will be arrested and prosecuted.
That's not gonna happen. We'll be lucky if just a few are arrested and taken to court.

This is a MASSIVE failure by the leaders of law enforcement in the DC area. The protesters should have been stopped at the capital steps. Fer Crist's sake, they seem to have plenty of rubber bullets, smake bombs, pepper gas, etc. when BLM marches. I'm really pissed about this....REALLY pissed.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:20 PM   #203
dirtywick
Illuminator

i think biden should approach mitch about impeachment. quickly end Trumps 2024 aspirations and hopefully permanently sideline him, give everyone enough time to shake the political fallout of the impeachment votes before mid terms. just fast track the whole thing.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:23 PM   #204
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's not gonna happen. We'll be lucky if just a few are arrested and taken to court.

This is a MASSIVE failure by the leaders of law enforcement in the DC area. The protesters should have been stopped at the capital steps. Fer Crist's sake, they seem to have plenty of rubber bullets, smake bombs, pepper gas, etc. when BLM marches. I'm really pissed about this....REALLY pissed.
I have to disagree. I think you will see arrests over this.
I am pissed also massive failure by the Capitol Polcie...but not buying the "Capitol Police were in on it" cospiracy theory. IMHO they were just taken by surprise;they never actullly expected an attempt to storm the Capitol. But heads will roll over this big time.
But I agree that insurrections have to put down quickly and with whatever force necessary. These peopole have declared war on the US GOvernment, and should be dealt with accordingly.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th January 2021 at 10:24 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:26 PM   #205
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are rumors that the head of the JCS had phone conversations today with Pelosi and McConnell directly, without Trump's involvment.
I hope the JCS said they would not obey any orders from Trump and Pelosi and McConnell responded, "We have your back."
Old 6th January 2021, 10:29 PM   #206
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But which one of his mistresses will hang with him? Meadows? Gaetz? Carlson? Jordan?
Hey, we're a big, bold country. We can build afford more than one loop of rope.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:33 PM   #207
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The only area where Trump has not lit a dumpster fire is foreign affairs...and I have a sick feeling an attack on Iran might be in the offing.
I don't believe the Pentagon will follow any such orders from Trump. That may be wishful thinking on my part but the military brass is not oblivious to what is happening with the prez.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:39 PM   #208
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Waaaay behind, disregard.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 6th January 2021 at 10:40 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 10:47 PM   #209
dirtywick
Illuminator

I don't believe the Pentagon will follow any such orders from Trump. That may be wishful thinking on my part but the military brass is not oblivious to what is happening with the prez.
i don't think anyone in government will be listening to trump after today
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:30 PM   #210
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Unlike all the nonsense with the Electoral College, with all the glaring weak spots being brought to light by Trump's unprecedented games, there's no gray area here. The military has no mandate to act domestically. Commander in chief or not, they can happily tell Cheeto to **** off.
Old 6th January 2021, 11:53 PM   #211
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Trump is finished. Former arse kissers, pundits and politicians, are dropping him.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:32 AM   #212
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Trump is finished. Former arse kissers, pundits and politicians, are dropping him.
Wouldn't that be nice. But never underestimate the ability of ass kissers to demean themselves even further.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:36 AM   #213
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree, he still has the support of the vast majority of the GOP voters. The vast majority of GOP voters believe that the election was stolen by the Democrats and Deep State.

In many states and districts, if you don't want to be Primaried, then you still have to to support Trump 100%

Wouldn't that be nice. But never underestimate the ability of ass kissers to demean themselves even further.
Yes
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:39 AM   #214
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Colbert roasts the living **** out of seditionists and their republican enablers.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Hey, Republicans Who Supported This President: Are We Great Again Yet? - LIVE MONOLOGUE
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:56 AM   #215
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I disagree, he still has the support of the vast majority of the GOP voters. The vast majority of GOP voters believe that the election was stolen by the Democrats and Deep State.

In many states and districts, if you don't want to be Primaried, then you still have to to support Trump 100%

Yes
Those voters are going to have something to think about with Republican leaders and media pundits who once had it that Trump could do know wrong, despite clear evidence, condemn him.

Listening to McConnell, Graham, and Hannity its like a spell is broken and sanity returned.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 7th January 2021 at 12:59 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:08 AM   #216
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Listening to McConnell, Graham, and Hannity its like a spell is broken and sanity returned.
Haven't heard him make any statement about what happened.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:11 AM   #217
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Those voters are going to have something to think about with Republican leaders and media pundits who once had it that Trump could do know wrong, despite clear evidence, condemn him.

Give it a few days.

If it's clear that President Trump continues to have the support of the majority of the GOP (or even a substantial minority) then I think that the "condemnation" will become increasingly muted - just like after Charlottesville.

I don't get the full US media here, just what the BBC gives us, but AFAIK McConnell, Graham, and Hannity may have made muted comments about the insurrectionists but they haven't actually criticised or condemned the actions of President Trump himself.

I expect calls for "unity" in an attempt to quash any criticism of President Trump.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:20 AM   #218
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I expect calls for "unity" in an attempt to quash any criticism of President Trump.
On the lines of "He is still our president till January 20, and we need to stand behind him..." etc?
Old 7th January 2021, 01:53 AM   #219
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To poke at a couple things that may be of some interest...

Guiliani hasn't stopped yet.

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani meant to call Sen. Tommy Tuberville to ask him to object to 10 states' electoral votes, to buy Team Trump more time. He accidentally left a voicemail on a different senator's phone. We have the audio.
And...

White House counsel told staffers to 'stay away from Trump' or risk committing treason

And...

The Lincoln Project released a video again. Bloodlines.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:54 AM   #220
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Trump Presidency Day 1:

Trump Presidency Day 1448:

Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:01 AM   #221
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hannity is busy blaming the rioting on Antifa and 'bad actor' infiltrators:
Quote:
"Hannity floated the conspiracy multiple times on Wednesday, first on his radio show and again later on his Fox News show.

"Then we had the reports that groups like antifa, other radical groups — I don't know the names of all of them — that they were there to cause trouble," Hannity said on the radio, without citing any sources.

On TV, Hannity put the blame on the more vague concept of "bad actors." "We also knew that there's also bad actors that will infiltrate large crowds," he said during his opening segment. He dropped a couple more references to this idea later in the show.
Antifa, as usual, is the 'go to' for the the right-wing to blame:

Quote:
For the most part, these baseless "antifa" theories came on Twitter, where we'll find Sorbo, Hume, Candace Owens, Ann Coulter, Breitbart editor John Nolte and more.
Quote:
Newsmax reporter Emerald Robinson also spread this "antifa" bit on the air on her network.
"I am hearing from some people on the ground that there is a question of if antifa has infiltrated the Trump rally goers and are fomenting some kind of unrest," Robinson said. And anchor Tom Basile chimed in with his agreement.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:03 AM   #222
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like Hannity at least is sticking to the script

Old 7th January 2021, 02:09 AM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have no love for Antifa, but no way are they orgnaized well enough to pull off something like this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:22 AM   #224
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Christian Tybring-Gjedde, the Norwegian right wing politician who nominated Trump for the Nobel peace prize, now says Trump seems mentally unbalanced.

https://www.nrk.no/urix/tybring-gjed...nse-1.15316415
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:48 AM   #225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Christian Tybring-Gjedde, the Norwegian right wing politician who nominated Trump for the Nobel peace prize, now says Trump seems mentally unbalanced.

Well, isn't he astute.
Old 7th January 2021, 03:02 AM   #226
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Nothing to see here, you dramatic snowflakes! Trump pledges to an orderly transition of power.

In other news, Genghis Khan says Europe has nothing to fear from him, and Jeffrey Dahmer has pledged to give up meat.
Old 7th January 2021, 03:10 AM   #227
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Nothing to see here, you dramatic snowflakes! Trump pledges to an orderly transition of power.

In other news, Genghis Khan says Europe has nothing to fear from him, and Jeffrey Dahmer has pledged to give up meat.
Caesar will not cross the Rubikon.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:13 AM   #228
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Can you imagine how it must be inside the WH now and for the next few days?
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 03:17 AM   #229
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Can you imagine how it must be inside the WH now and for the next few days?
Not really, but I've seen Der Untergang, so I can guess.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:06 AM   #230
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by timhau View Post

The events of yesterday shocked him to the core.

No, I'm not talking about the attack on the Capitol and subsequent deaths.

Trump got scared ******** when Twitter banned him.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:09 AM   #231
Hevneren
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

It's the Norwegian Nobel Committee's fault. Tybring-Gjedde nominated Trump for the peace prize several times, but did the committee listen?

Last edited by Hevneren; 7th January 2021 at 04:49 AM.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:31 AM   #232
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Trump tweets:

What a mess at the Capitol. That's what happens when you defund police. Could've never happened in a GOP state. If Trump gets 4 more years (should get way more anyway), something like this will never happen again. LAW AND ORDER, MORE POLICE!!! MAGA! LOVE YOU!

Edit: sarcasm

Last edited by carlosy; 7th January 2021 at 04:42 AM.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:39 AM   #233
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Trump tweets:

What a mess at the Capitol. That's what happens when you defund police. Could've never happened in a GOP state. If Trump gets 4 more years (should get way more anyway), something like this will never happen again. LAW AND ORDER, MORE POLICE!!! MAGA! LOVE YOU!
I suppose I must ask, even though I fear I know the answer: is that real?

ETA: Turns out I didn't know. Thank FSM for small favors. Stylistically excellent copy of Trump's writing.

Last edited by timhau; 7th January 2021 at 05:50 AM.
timhau is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:41 AM   #234
carlosy
Critical Thinker

What does it say that we have to ask, if such a stupid thing would be said by the POTUS?

Trump is still banned, afaik
Old 7th January 2021, 04:43 AM   #235
Susheel
Graduate Poster

...Edit: sarcasm
Oh...thank kraken...
Old 7th January 2021, 04:44 AM   #236
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Old 7th January 2021, 04:45 AM   #237
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

What does it say that we have to ask, if such a stupid thing would be said by the POTUS?
I think I commented a few weeks ago that political satire has now moved beyond obsolete to the point where it's no longer even possible. If an article now states that right wing commentators are claiming that the occupation of the Capitol was a false flag Antifa operation, it could equally possibly be in the Onion or the Washington Post. There's simply no way to tell any more. The Republican party has now become the party of Poe's Law and disorder.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:17 AM   #238
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Who knew it could be so easy to saunter into the capitol and put one's feet up on the Speaker's personal desk in a country that likes to proclaim itself as the most militarily secure on the planet? "Homeland Security" and all that fun stuff. Turns out it's been nothing but smoke and mirrors this whole time. All it took was a handful of redhats armed with a 2x4 and a plastic riot shield to bust open a window and climb in. Pfft.

Arch enemies of said country around the world are now frantically licking their pencils and taking notes.

Congratulations Banana Republicans.... You've not only managed to **** in your own nest, but you've also managed to shatter any and all worldwide illusions of your country's "national security" in one fell swoop.

Old 7th January 2021, 06:54 AM   #239
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
All it took was a handful of redhats armed with a 2x4 and a plastic riot shield to bust open a window and climb in. Pfft.

That's the part that weirded me out. I've seen what the windows look like on the US embassy here in Ottawa, and there's no way you'd bash them out with a 2x4. Even an actual battering ram might not do it.

How is it the Capitol has such flimsy windows?
Old 7th January 2021, 06:59 AM   #240
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
That's the part that weirded me out. I've seen what the windows look like on the US embassy here in Ottawa, and there's no way you'd bash them out with a 2x4. Even an actual battering ram might not do it.

How is it the Capitol has such flimsy windows?
I wondered about that as well. My guess is that you're never supposed to actually get anywhere near those windows.

Who's responsible for Capitol security, and who do they answer to? Heads should absolutely roll here (and I bet this will happen, since congresscritters probably do take their own security seriously; I'm a bit less optimistic about what will happen to the terrorists).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics