IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 02:29 PM   #41
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Careers need to be ended over this.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:31 PM   #42
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: At least two explosive devices rendered safe by law enforcement.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #43
dann
Penultimate Amazing

But it seemed as if they had already either broken through or been let through on the other side.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:38 PM   #44
Matthew Best
Philosopher

And now they're just letting them out again - instead of arresting them and throwing them in jail, like they should be doing.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:40 PM   #45
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
The German police handled the NSDAP better in 1923.....
If Trump was jailed, he could produce his own version of Mein Kampf.

Oh wait...

He can't think straight or write.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #46
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #47
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I do not understand why there were so few police. Why are there only five of six police officers at the barricade? Why are there only a handful of police on the Capitol steps?

They knew this was coming. There has been talk of a possible coup for months.
Trump previously told the Proud Boys to "stand by". Giuliani called for a "trial by combat". It was known there would be protestors. That there would be militia groups there. Trump called on the protestors to go to the Capitol. They knew this was coming.

We have more security at our annual town barbeque.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:45 PM   #48
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
And now they're just letting them out again - instead of arresting them and throwing them in jail, like they should be doing.
They were all filming the whole thing on their smartphones - probably live on the social media. They won't be hard to find.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:45 PM   #49
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I saw the video of trump on twitter. First words out of his mouth was, the election was stolen, we won by a landslide and everyone knows it. Yeah, that really helps.

Oh, and he hasn't colored his hair. This afternoon it's white again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg traitor trump.jpg (120.5 KB, 26 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #50
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the six week handover so you can get to Washington by horse drawn cart might need another look.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:46 PM   #51
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I do not understand why there were so few police. Why are there only five of six police officers at the barricade? Why are there only a handful of police on the Capitol steps?

They knew this was coming. There has been talk of a possible coup for months.
Trump previously told the Proud Boys to "stand by". Giuliani called for a "trial by combat". It was known there would be protestors. That there would be militia groups there. Trump called on the protestors to go to the Capitol. They knew this was coming.

We have more security at our annual town barbeque.

They were obviously too few to keep people out, but they were also spread out across the whole perimeter.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:49 PM   #52
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Police in riot gear are finally pushing coupboys off the stairs.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:50 PM   #53
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC
Those who made this attack on our government need to be identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Their actions are repugnant to democracy.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #54
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

A few scenes of great interest to sociologists:

1. A guy clutching a presidential podium, smiling for the camera. Note how he politely stands inside the two velvet rope barriers.

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/stat...163169794?s=20

2. A guy wearing Norse horns (although the Vikings never had horns) and strange Thor hammer tattoo on his stomach.

3. https://twitter.com/30YearsRed/statu...787414017?s=20 They could almost be British...
Quote:
You have to respect the fact that the Trump protestors smashed through fences, police lines & the Capitol building doors...

But then stay strictly inside the velvet ropes
4. Old guy with beard with his feet up on Nancy Pelosi's desk, face to the camera and not a care in the world.

5. The funniest tweet of the day (36,000 likes):

Quote:
Oh god the #MAGAs are storming the Capitol. I’m genuinely worried — that’s a lot of steps to walk up. Their knees and calves must be SCREAMING.
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/sta...646508545?s=20
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ErE_r38XYAEtfup.jpg (88.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ErEwbFcUcAEI9r9.jpg (70.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ErErwRwW4AAKfBW.jpg (69.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg merlin_182055543_b000c07d-4821-451f-9895-d2ef8167a9fd-jumbo.jpg (134.5 KB, 23 views)

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #55
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Police in riot gear are finally pushing coupboys off the stairs.
Are they arresting them too, or just telling them they should stop being naughty?
Old 6th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #56
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
They were obviously too few to keep people out, but they were also spread out across the whole perimeter.
It's the U.S. capitol.

This wasn't exactly a secret operation.

ETA: hard to find right now because of similar search terms, but there was a shot of paramilitary dressed riot cops ranks deep around parts of the building when it was the scary black people protesting.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 6th January 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:52 PM   #57
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I saw the video of trump on twitter. First words out of his mouth was, the election was stolen, we won by a landslide and everyone knows it. Yeah, that really helps.

Oh, and he hasn't colored his hair. This afternoon it's white again.
Dig the black gloves, though?

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #58
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If Trump was jailed, he could produce his own version of Mein Kampf.

Oh wait...

He can't think straight or write.
He'd have to call it Tweety-pie.

Old 6th January 2021, 02:53 PM   #59
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Are they arresting them too, or just telling them they should stop being naughty?
What do you think?

There one coupboy who is obviously elderly or otherwise infirm and they are gently letting them take their time going down the stairs.

Old 6th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #60
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lindsey Graham tweeted

@LindseyGrahamSC
Those who made this attack on our government need to be identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Their actions are repugnant to democracy.
. . . until Trump pardons them.
Old 6th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #61
HHellpop
Reluctant Galactic Assassin

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
. . . until Trump pardons them.
Exactly what I was thinking. "Good people."
Old 6th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #62
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

In the irony department....

I heard one report from a reporter trapped in the Capital building. The rioters were wandering the halls searching for Senators, calling them "traitors".....while carrying a Confederate flag.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 6th January 2021 at 03:02 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:01 PM   #63
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What do you think?

There one coupboy who is obviously elderly or otherwise infirm and they are gently letting them take their time going down the stairs.
Good. It will give him more chance to catch the coronavirus.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:04 PM   #64
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Are they arresting anyone?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:05 PM   #65
Mumbles
Philosopher

No. He's still lying.
No, while he told people to go home, he also spent most of it whining about how bad it was the election was stolen from him.
That's why I've never called on Dolt 45 to denounce an anything wrong, or to otherwise ever open his mouth to speak.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:07 PM   #66
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I suggest a Riot Act; give the scrum fifteen minutes to disperse/surrender.
Then shoot them.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:08 PM   #67
HHellpop

Axios reporting a whopping 13 arrested, and 5 guns 'recovered'.

https://www.axios.com/trump-congress...338190e18.html

Last edited by HHellpop; 6th January 2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fixed link
HHellpop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #68
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I wish Trump would just ******* die of a KFC induced stroke already.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #69
ToddH
Critical Thinker

I bet an impeachment would pass both houses now.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #70
Planigale
Illuminator

The USA originated from a violent insurrection overthrowing the legitimate government, it is hardly surprising it should end that way. Be reassured the future is bright after the peacekeeping forces restore order there will be a choice of either being South Canadians* and loyal subjects of HM or being North Mexicans (apart from the small enclave of Eastern China).

*probably the safest choice just make your way to the border and seek asylum now.

Last edited by Planigale; 6th January 2021 at 03:11 PM.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #71
eerok
Quixoticist

I saw a short clip some time ago of police standing over several civilians face down on the floor inside the building, but there was no context offered.

Clearing the steps, it was peaceful with no arrests.

Just now a mass of cops are on the march.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:11 PM   #72
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
2/3 of the Senate is a tough hurdle. I don't think it would pass.

I wish it would. I think it should.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:12 PM   #73
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Then shoot them.
Would certainly disperse the crowd.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #74
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's the U.S. capitol.

This wasn't exactly a secret operation.

ETA: hard to find right now because of similar search terms, but there was a shot of paramilitary dressed riot cops ranks deep around parts of the building when it was the scary black people protesting.

If I understood correctly what was said a few minutes ago on MSNBC, they (obviously) didn't expect it to come to this, but they also didn't want people from one of Trump's paramilitary law&order organizations (the ones that cleared the street of demonstrators to enable Trump to make his Bible photo) to be among those surrounding the building.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #75
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I wish Trump would just ******* die of a KFC induced stroke already.
I'll pop for the yardbird.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #76
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Old 6th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #77
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
No it wouldn't.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:17 PM   #78
HHellpop

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I saw a short clip some time ago of police standing over several civilians face down on the floor inside the building, but there was no context offered.

Clearing the steps, it was peaceful with no arrests.

Just now a mass of cops are on the march.
Press briefing at 5 PM Eastern stated about 13 arrested, but nothing as to where that was.
Quote:
Approximately five weapons — including long guns and hand guns — were recovered in the wake of the riot and roughly 13 people were arrested, police officials said at a 5 p.m. press briefing with D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser. All those arrested were from outside states, with three people from Maryland.
https://www.axios.com/trump-congress...338190e18.html
Old 6th January 2021, 03:18 PM   #79
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Britain was supposed to be great post-Brexit. Now we’re not even the last people to storm the Capitol. A proud 207 year old record lost.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:21 PM   #80
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Then shoot them.
THIS.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events