IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bible , quotes , science , newsletter

Old 7th November 2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Bible Quotes Science Newsletter.

While searching for some other stuff, I cam across the Bible Science Quotes Newsletter http://www.bible-quotes-science-info...tter/index.htm .

The site is kind of strange in that it agrees that there is no possible scientific explanation for the Biblical Flood. The author calculates the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere and shows that it is 3-4 orders of magnitude too small and then considers the possibility that God made all the rain fall on a very limited area (where the people were living) and shows that the numbers still come up short.

On the other hand, the author says he can accurately calculate the diameter of Venus's orbit by reading the Psalms: http://www.bible-quotes-science-info...nformation.htm
Old 7th November 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Mr Clingford
Master Poster

That kind of approach to the Bible is weird but definately not wonderful.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Apathia
Philosopher

Check out the blerb for his novel, The Bible in Crystal Land!

Did this guy write for the TV series Space 1999?
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Hyparxis View Post
Check out the blerb for his novel, The Bible in Crystal Land!

Did this guy write for the TV series Space 1999?
I don't remember crystals being important in Space 1999. Are you sure you're not thinking of Land of the Lost; there were lots of magical crystals in that show.
Old 7th November 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
While searching for some other stuff, I cam across the Bible Science Quotes Newsletter http://www.bible-quotes-science-info...tter/index.htm .

The site is kind of strange in that it agrees that there is no possible scientific explanation for the Biblical Flood. The author calculates the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere and shows that it is 3-4 orders of magnitude too small and then considers the possibility that God made all the rain fall on a very limited area (where the people were living) and shows that the numbers still come up short.
This is because the cosmology is wrong. Way back when, God killed the great sea dragon Leviathan, who swam the waters of chaos (which was apparently a solid 3-dimensional space packed with water.) He then split the body in half and used one half as the vault, which held up the waters above, and the other half as the land below.

As polytheism gave way to monotheism in a game of "my god is tougher than yours" one-upsmanship, Bible redactors dropped Leviathan from the creation story (though references to it exist in the Psalms -- oops!)

Hence later on with the Flood, among other things, God breaks up the "fonts" holding back the water below as well as opening the floodgates above. It wasn't just a heavy rain -- he was letting in all this water from the surrounding areas of chaos. It was flooding up from below as well.

So it makes perfect sense if your cosmology is all screwed up. We now know that there is no water "up there", just space. No hard vault holding things back. No waters below the land (barring water in the land) with nothing but lava below, and the world is a ball, so you don't need a swimming turtle to end the chain, because there is no "infinitely down", you just come out the other side of the ball and go right back into space.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

I don't remember crystals being important in Space 1999. Are you sure you're not thinking of Land of the Lost; there were lots of magical crystals in that show.
Now for some cosmology that's truly interesting!

I wonder if there's a web site devoted to all known combinations of color crystals, and what they did, in Land of the Lost.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Now for some cosmology that's truly interesting!

I wonder if there's a web site devoted to all known combinations of color crystals, and what they did, in Land of the Lost.
I'm afraid to look.
Old 7th November 2006, 06:13 PM   #8
c4ts
Philosopher

"Land of the Lost" pretty much describes the whole newsletter...
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy