IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th January 2023, 01:28 PM   #41
Armitage72
Philosopher

The bit about laziness and government benefits reminds me of some of the military science fiction novels I've read by authors like John Ringo. When the evil and cunning Liberals gain control they always start giving the citizens handouts specifically so the public will become helpless and dependent on them so they can hold on to their political power forever. Everything is an evil conspiracy.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 01:28 PM   #42
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
You can see what the federal min wage has been in "constant inflation adjusted dollars" in the below linked chart.

https://www.infoplease.com/business/...ates-1955-2021

Note, that it ends in 2021, so take about another 12 or 13% off for 2023 (makes it $3.68 in 1996 dollars by my math). You can see how good the people entering the workforce in the 60's and 70's had it! Late 80's was also pretty ******, it was stuck at $3.35 for years.

Of course, I've now seen McDonalds advertising $13/hr in my area. Target now pays a minimum of $15, as examples.
Heh, I remember working as a teenager at a McDonald's during one of the rare federal minimum wage increases. Our manager, thinking we were stupid and never saw the news, actually bragged to us about how well we were all being treated by him because he gave us a raise. To the new minimum wage. Sadly, at least half of the workforce believed that he personally chose to give us all raises.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 01:49 PM   #43
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I accept the 100x estimate for San Jose real estate prices, but wages have gone up "maybe" 2-3 times in the last 60 years? That's ridiculous. The whole reason prices have gone sky-high in Silicon Valley is because the average pay in the area has skyrocketed as well.
I agree with what you are saying here, but I wonder if the wages of fast food worker have gone up much, even in Silicon Valley. Two to three times may be an exaggeration, but seven to eight may be accurate. The disparity between low end wages in high end wages is more massive now than it has ever been.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 02:23 PM   #44
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I agree with what you are saying here, but I wonder if the wages of fast food worker have gone up much, even in Silicon Valley. Two to three times may be an exaggeration, but seven to eight may be accurate. The disparity between low end wages in high end wages is more massive now than it has ever been.
It's a cultural thing though. You have a large segment of the population that has been brainwashed to believe that education has no value, that military service makes you a hero, that because their parents and grandparents did okay working in a mine/mill/factory that they will do fine too. This covers about 50% of the U.S. and increasingly more across Canada.

People bitch about the price of houses just like they used to when I was young. The people who really want a house have always done the things they needed to do to get one. To be fair though, if you allow the people selling something to decide on the price if that something, that price is always going to be a premium.

We have created a system where developers are only encourage to build the most expensive housing. They are mostly encouraged to build single family houses and those are just out of range for young, first time home owners. If you wait, and save, you can get one but people want it now.

In my area right now you can't get a mortgage on an older mobile home. Those used to be first homes and there are a lot of them around but only people with money can buy them so they do and rent them out at a premium. Apartments in 4, 6, and 8 plexes used to be first time homes too but they haven't allowed those in a long time. You can build a duplex if the lot is big enough but the red tape makes it not worthwhile. Etc., etc., etc.

Let's not even start on the issue of artificially low interest rates designed to get people buying crap they don't need and what happens when that rate increases even slightly.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 03:13 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
HD will gladly sell you insulation and AC units.
Hey I admit I shop at Home Depot a lot....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2023, 04:41 PM   #46
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Home Depot's 93-year-old cofounder Bernie Marcus — who retired in 2002 — says he doesn't want the "woke generation" leading business...

"You can't hire people," he said. "Nobody wants to work anymore, especially office people."

Marcus said that the reason that people didn't want to work is that "they're entitled, they're given everything," adding that government unemployment benefits were pushing people to stay at home.
Current unemployment rate is only 3.5%. So who are all these people who don't want to work?

How Many Workers Are Truly “Missing” from the Labor Force?
Quote:
As of March 2022, the U.S. labor force participation rate remained one percentage point below its pre-pandemic level. After accounting for the effects of slower population growth and the aging of the population in the past two years, I estimate that around 2 million workers are missing from the labor force. Individuals age 65 and older, whose participation rates remain persistently below pre-pandemic levels, constitute most of the missing labor force.
No Bernie, it's old people like you who don't want to work. Get back to the office you lazy entitled prick - no rest for the wicked!
Old 24th January 2023, 04:44 PM   #47
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Childless here myself, but isn't one of the points of having children at all is to create a work that surpasses you? Launch into a future a being that takes the best of yourself and improves upon it, so that you bequeath to the universe a legacy beyond what you were able to do yourself in your limited time?
This is why I'm childless, because I'm already perfect.
Old 24th January 2023, 06:42 PM   #48
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
The current Federal Minimum Wage is only $7.25. So, adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage has decreased.
I thought about making that point, too.

I even calculated that the minimum wage in 1963 would have given people about 68% more in purchasing power than the federal minimum wage of today.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 08:51 AM   #49
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
What is the functional difference between appearing to have a diverse workforce and having a diverse workforce? Is Home Depot requiring employees to wear blackface and/or cross dress in order to only appear to not [eta: only] hire white guys?
Imagine there are two companies. One of them (A) has a diverse workforce and the other (B) doesn't.

Now imagine two scenarios:

1. A's productivity suffers due to lacking insights that would be present with a diverse workforce, while B, because of its diverse workforce, has this productivity advantage, and because of this is more profitable.

2. A and B's workforces are equally productive, but A suffers in the marketplace due a stigma that has arisen since customers became aware of its lack of a diverse workforce. As such it is less profitable than B.

Do you think there is no meaningful difference between these two scenarios?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 09:24 AM   #50
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Imagine there are two companies. One of them (A) has a diverse workforce and the other (B) doesn't.

1. A's productivity suffers due to lacking insights that would be present with a diverse workforce, while B, because of its diverse workforce, has this productivity advantage, and because of this is more profitable.

2. A and B's workforces are equally productive, but A suffers in the marketplace due a stigma that has arisen since customers became aware of its lack of a diverse workforce. As such it is less profitable than B.

There's another benefit to a (real or imagined) diverse workforce: it makes the company more attractive to employees in going to work there, and staying there. I've worked for the whole range: companies that really were pro-diversity, companies that just said slogans to appear pro-diversity, companies that said and did absolutely nothing about diversity, and companies where I could have been fired if outed. Given a choice I'm obviously going to pick working for the first kind, and going to avoid working for the last kind.
Old 25th January 2023, 09:54 AM   #51
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Your scenarios do not address the functional difference between appearing to have a diverse workforce and actually having a diverse workforce. Company A does not have nor does not appear to have a diverse workforce.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 11:38 AM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

“[Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.

They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.”

Old 25th January 2023, 02:58 PM   #53
lobosrul5
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I haven't the foggiest clue how low income workers afford to live in places like Silicon valley. Is everyone like 4 to a room or something? If I bought the equivalent to my house in San Jose, my mortgage payment (on a 30 year) would exceed my take home pay.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 04:19 PM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't the foggiest clue how low income workers afford to live in places like Silicon valley. Is everyone like 4 to a room or something? If I bought the equivalent to my house in San Jose, my mortgage payment (on a 30 year) would exceed my take home pay.
Extended commutes. And marginally making it.
Old 25th January 2023, 04:57 PM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
“[Young people] are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.

They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.”

I actuallly think there is some truth to that...lotso f people between the ages of 16 and 22 think they know it all....but also that people quickly grow out of it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 05:42 PM   #56
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Your scenarios do not address the functional difference between appearing to have a diverse workforce and actually having a diverse workforce. Company A does not have nor does not appear to have a diverse workforce.
Company B appears to have a diverse workforce (in this case, because it does), and in scenario 2 it's that appearance that causes the change in profitability.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 05:43 PM   #57
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
There's another benefit to a (real or imagined) diverse workforce: it makes the company more attractive to employees in going to work there, and staying there. I've worked for the whole range: companies that really were pro-diversity, companies that just said slogans to appear pro-diversity, companies that said and did absolutely nothing about diversity, and companies where I could have been fired if outed. Given a choice I'm obviously going to pick working for the first kind, and going to avoid working for the last kind.
Yeah, that seems reasonable.
Isaac Asimov
Old 26th January 2023, 03:33 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Even when I lived in London (over 20 years ago) most young people i.e. under 30, including those in OK paying jobs (back then) house shared to some extent. Today it is not unusual for people in their lates 30s and 40s with OK jobs to still be house sharing. And yes for the many on terrible wages i.e. often those providing the essential services for London will be living in (often illegal) multi-occupancy homes where they will be sharing bedrooms.
Old 26th January 2023, 05:05 AM   #59
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's only anecdotal but young people today seem to have a lot more "hustle" and are far more entrepreneurial than I was back in my day.
100%. My daughter is 17 and starts Uni next academic year. She talks about the pressures on kids her age to have part-time jobs, manage their CVs, volunteer, focus on school etc. Nothing like my long gone day.
Old 26th January 2023, 06:38 AM   #60
8enotto
Master Poster

Heh, I remember working as a teenager at a McDonald's during one of the rare federal minimum wage increases. Our manager, thinking we were stupid and never saw the news, actually bragged to us about how well we were all being treated by him because he gave us a raise. To the new minimum wage. Sadly, at least half of the workforce believed that he personally chose to give us all raises.
It happened to me three times, each time I was thrust into the bottom of the next tax bracket and took less money home.
I fixed my situation by working part time and taking more dollars home.

I suspect they calculate this carefully.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 06:43 AM   #61
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Company B appears to have a diverse workforce (in this case, because it does), and in scenario 2 it's that appearance that causes the change in profitability.
You're still comparing a company which does have a diverse workforce with one which neither has nor appears to have a diverse workforce.

My question was what the difference between Zig's "appearing to have" a diverse workforce complaint, and actually having a diverse workforce is.
Old 26th January 2023, 07:19 AM   #62
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

You're still comparing a company which does have a diverse workforce with one which neither has nor appears to have a diverse workforce.

My question was what the difference between Zig's "appearing to have" a diverse workforce complaint, and actually having a diverse workforce is.
You seemed to think that there's no meaningful difference between the appearance of diversity causing increased profitability and increased productivity due to diversity causing increased profitability.

I think that, whether or not the appearance reflects reality, that difference is meaningful.

But if you don't dispute that then maybe I misunderstand you and there's no disagreement here.
Isaac Asimov
Old 26th January 2023, 07:30 AM   #63
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Just to clarify;

While I believe the discussion on whether diversity is a good in and of itself is important (I believe it to be: it provides a larger pool of applicants and aids in retention of workers if done correctly), that wasn’t my point.

My point was that whether it’s an actual good or just “PR”, a businessman who doesn’t pay attention to the company’s public image is not a very good businessman.

I’ll let you all return to other discussion now

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events