IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elections , house of representatives

Old 25th January 2023, 01:34 PM   #481
JoeMorgue
Suspended

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Just checking: Are you responding to me?
I'm making a statement. If you feel the shoes fits, slip that sucker on.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 01:42 PM   #482
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm making a statement. If you feel the shoes fits, slip that sucker on.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 02:22 PM   #483
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Avoiding the question. And the answer is: Yes they are elected. According to you. The voters have spoken, so in that person goes. Regardless of any flaws and factual evidence they qualify.

In fact, in the USA, dead people have been elected a few times. Now, I would have thought that being dead, a non-person if you will, disqualifies you from standing for and being elected to any government position. If you happen to be in an elected government position and die, you certainly cease to be in it any longer - it goes vacant. So it is passing strange that the very same condition that will automatically get you OUT of an elected position is no barrier to getting you IN to that same position. Not exactly logical nor sensible, don't you agree?

So now let's consider a situation closer to reality: A candidate in a lunatic asylum who is criminally insane. Let's check if they can stand for office in the USA: Citizen? Tick. Adult? Tick. ...and that's about it! Some feeble-minded fascist feces-flinger is considered "qualified" to stand for elected office. A good idea, in your view, that nobody gets told? Want them in your parliament? Perhaps if their true "situation" was known about beforehand then their prospects of success might change...?

By the way, the Burke quote is about AFTER they are elected, not before. It's not the subject of my argument.
Most of the dead people who were elected died between election day and when they would have taken office.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 02:28 PM   #484
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Most of the dead people who were elected died between election day and when they would have taken office.
...most?? And the rest?

So, being dead, shouldn't that disqualify you from taking office? That election becomes null and void, and needs to be run again with qualifying candidates? Or does the dead person "take their seat"??

Should not also being a criminal? Being a criminal certainly prevents you from voting. And I understand the "general rule" is if you can't vote then you can't stand for office.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 02:33 PM   #485
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

...most?? And the rest?

So, being dead, shouldn't that disqualify you from taking office? That election becomes null and void, and needs to be run again with qualifying candidates? Or does the dead person "take their seat"??

Should not also being a criminal? Being a criminal certainly prevents you from voting. And I understand the "general rule" is if you can't vote then you can't stand for office.
This one is a big 'depends' depending on the type of seat and the jurisdiction, sometimes the party just appoints a replacement.
Old 25th January 2023, 02:43 PM   #486
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Morally, logically, and philosophically you are correct.

Practically it would turn into politicians staying in "campaign" mode constantly, even more so then they already do.

At a certain point politicians have to be able to stop politic-ing and just do their actual jobs.

Also politicians have to be able to make unpopular decisions some times.
You balance those issues by making a recall difficult to do.

The way I see it, 'campaign mode' would be closer to doing what they say they are going to do—IOW less fake campaign promises.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2023, 02:44 PM   #487
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
This one is a big 'depends' depending on the type of seat and the jurisdiction, sometimes the party just appoints a replacement.
Then the dead person doesn't "take their seat". Their election is void. That's the point. The reason they don't get seated is everyone knows they are friggin' dead! Likewise, everyone should know the truth about candidates before their election.

Same with Santos. It appears a distinct possibility that his election is void on quite a number of grounds. For example, as he is such a prolific liar, is his US citizenship assured? Anyone actually check? I wasn't joking previously when I said I should run for US congress. If a bog-basic check like assuring valid citizenship was never done for Santos, I'm gonna be good to go! And so is every two-bit international crook (I'm only a one-bit version) and charmless, scruple-free lobbyist. Heck, why not just give the Saudis a couple of seats gratis!
Old 27th January 2023, 02:34 AM   #488
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The ex-boyfriend:
"What he always looked for was fame and power. That's all he cared about. ... And he got the thing of the lies and he got the power that he's in Congress now."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He should fit right in ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2023, 03:49 AM   #489
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

[aside]
One of those was Apollo 13 astronaut Jack Swigert; elected to the House from Colorado's 6th district in November 1982, but died from respiratory failure related to his cancer on December 27, seven days before the beginning of his congressional term.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2023, 06:50 PM   #490
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The ex-boyfriend:
"What he always looked for was fame and power. That's all he cared about. ... And he got the thing of the lies and he got the power that he's in Congress now."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

He should fit right in ...
Trump finally has the son he always wanted.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 02:19 AM   #491
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Like superheroes, candidates tell an origin story, often times by describing their families.
See the evolution of lies in George Santos’s campaign biography (WP, Jan 27, 2023)
At least he believes in evolution ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 01:05 PM   #492
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

But only when it's convenient.
Old 28th January 2023, 02:22 PM   #493
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

When his great-great grandfather was Charles Darwin, he'd kind of have to.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2023, 05:06 PM   #494
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
When his great-great grandfather he was Charles Darwin, he'd kind of have to.
FTFY
Old 28th January 2023, 10:17 PM   #495
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Inside Santos' head:

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #496
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Inside Santos' head:

Quote:
Oh my God. It's full of squirrels.

Weirdly enough, the forum software didn't allow the above.

It kept saying:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters."
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #497
mgidm86
Philosopher

Inside Santos' head:

Oh my God. It's full of squirrels.

ETA:
Worked for me
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #498
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Weirdly enough, the forum software didn't allow the above.

It kept saying:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters."
It doesn’t count characters inside of quote blocks as part of your message.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #499
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

We live in a post-factual and post-shame world.

Surely I can’t be alone in thinking that before 2027 someone is going to try to
pull a Congressional “Weekend at Bernie’s”

Last edited by Ladewig; Yesterday at 09:27 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #500
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
We live in a post-factual and post-shame world.

Surely I can’t be alone in thinking that before 2027 someone is going to try to pull a Congressional “Weekend at Bernie’s”
That was pretty much where my train of argument was heading many posts above. If even being dead doesn't trigger a new election for a seat, then it's only a matter of time that some party is going to elect a whole graveyard of long-mouldering corpses to office and use their "votes by proxy" so that only a handful of party leaders run the whole show.

What needs to be federally mandated is that if any candidate, including before an election, becomes ineligible to stand then either their candidacy is terminated, or they immediately lose their seat and an by-election is required to fill it again. Ineligibility will include any conditions where that person is no longer permitted to vote in their state, such as serving a criminal sentence, being a foreigner, being dead, etc.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #501
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Georgie claimed in a Brazilian podcast that he was the victim of an assassination attempt, a mugging, and that his home in Florida was vandalized because he's a Republican. None of it has been confirmed by any evidence:
Before asking any questions, they weren’t Black, they were even white, but they robbed me, took my briefcase, took my shoes and my watch.
“They were even white.”

So George, do bigotry much?

Last edited by Ladewig; Yesterday at 09:22 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics