ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 12th October 2020, 08:49 AM   #3241
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Welcome KayBur, hope the forum makes your quarantine more endurable. Sorry to say that the first thing that came into my mind when reading your name is a event in the highland games called the caber toss. The caber is basically a telephone pole that one tries to toss such that it flips end over end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Welcome, everyone.
Old 13th October 2020, 05:56 AM   #3242
KayBur
New Blood

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Welcome KayBur, hope the forum makes your quarantine more endurable. Sorry to say that the first thing that came into my mind when reading your name is a event in the highland games called the caber toss. The caber is basically a telephone pole that one tries to toss such that it flips end over end.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Welcome, everyone.
An interesting association. I like people with associative thinking. I myself often have different associations. I don't even know how it started. But at some point, associations began to come from watched films or read books.
KayBur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 06:34 AM   #3243
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Thanks, I find associative thinking helps balance out my tendency for dissociative thinking. I try to do both in moderation.

Having never been able to get through a written work of fiction longer than a short story, though I can read a technical manual or reference book from end to end. For me the associations are generally with quotes, movies, TV, song lyrics and a smattering of poetry. A lot of times things just seem to click together easily for me. A big advantage in my job of working with complex integrated elecro-mechanical systems.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:58 AM   #3244
KayBur
New Blood

All have their own characteristics. I have had some kind of inability to watch films lately. So I noticed that even if the film is interesting, I still need to either watch something on my tablet, or urgently get the book I wanted to read. In general, there are a lot of small things. But when it comes to reading, I can read for hours.
KayBur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 04:50 PM   #3245
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
All have their own characteristics. I have had some kind of inability to watch films lately. So I noticed that even if the film is interesting, I still need to either watch something on my tablet, or urgently get the book I wanted to read. In general, there are a lot of small things. But when it comes to reading, I can read for hours.

I used to be able to do both and actually retain most of the content from both.

Those days are long gone. Now when I read with the TV on I just look up every once in a while.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 03:13 AM   #3246
KayBur
New Blood

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I used to be able to do both and actually retain most of the content from both.

Those days are long gone. Now when I read with the TV on I just look up every once in a while.
Iím doing about the same thing now, but Iím still unhappy that I canít just sit and watch a movie. This is especially annoying when my wife and I decided to watch a movie, and I am constantly distracted. The wife is offended, thinks that I am not interested in her. And I don't understand how to explain correctly that I can't just sit and look at the screen right now.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!