ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:58 AM   #1121
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by HenryLee View Post
Quote:
JERUSALEM — The police on Thursday arrested an Israeli teenager who holds American citizenship in connection with scores of threats to Jewish institutions, including dozens of community centers in the United States, law enforcement officials said.

A spokesman for the police here, Micky Rosenfeld, said the suspect, from the Ashkelon area of southern Israel, had also made threats to institutions in Australia and New Zealand, as well as to at least one commercial airline flight, forcing an emergency landing.

“This is the guy we are talking about,” Mr. Rosenfeld said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/u...=tw-share&_r=0
Between this one and the fake-news reporter trying to frame his girlfriend how many of the threats are accounted for now?
It's almost as though if you set up a society where victim points are the most highly prized currency that you can cash in for money, fame, deference, and power... people will lie their rumps off about victimhood incidents!

Btw, the power of "victimhood points" and the power of controlling a narrative are the basis for what holocaust revisionists think happened with the popular understanding of those events. Powerful people, victors in a war, with strong incentives to exaggerate and add many layers of victim narrative BS onto real events which were sufficiently awful without all the nonsense.

I would just recommend that anyone who completely dismisses revisionism about WW2 take a moment to consider how this thread has played out, the powerful allure of victim points, and the classic adage "the victors write the history books."

There was a hell of a good victimhood "cash in" to be had in the wake of that war, and billions of dollars flow to this day based on it. A militaristic, expansionist, eugenicist ethnostate gets very little questioning about their policies thanks to it too.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 23rd March 2017 at 08:00 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:10 AM   #1122
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

But he was a Trump supporter, right?
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:11 AM   #1123
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
It's almost as though if you set up a society where victim points are the most highly prized currency
Snort. Your entire shtick is whining that white people are an endangered species. Save it.
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:21 AM   #1124
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Snort. Your entire shtick is whining that white people are an endangered species. Save it.
I think it's actually pretty understandable for a multiracial society to devolve into every group feeling aggrieved and threatened by other groups, and a spiral of endless recriminations.

Why? Because all of the groups have some degree of an actual point at the basis of their grievances. Some exaggerate it more than others, but all are getting at the same basic truth: the society isn't properly reflecting or serving ANY of them because a society cannot reflect the character, wishes, spirit and best interests of multiple incompatible, profoundly different groups at one time.

This is why I favor homogeneity. It improves the odds of harmony (though it does not guarantee it, but diversity guarantees disharmony.) and each group can feel they have their own space to be themselves.

Perhaps it would make sense to designate some spaces on the globe for cosmopolitan mixing, but no one should be put into a breeding competition within their own borders for control of their own lands.

And btw, in case you haven't noticed, none of this is going to be allowed to continue. Whites aren't going to quietly slip into oblivion voluntarily. The next 30 years will be wild.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:48 AM   #1125
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Image assembly of hate crime hoaxes I saw someone post.

Old 23rd March 2017, 02:33 PM   #1126
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Right, I'm sure you'll fool someone with that one.
No fooling. You literally said:

Ah, it doesn't count because it's only vandalism. Amazing how few crimes we have when we ignore or discount every example!
That wasn't anything I was proposing. That was all you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:44 PM   #1127
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No fooling. You literally said:

That wasn't anything I was proposing. That was all you.
That wasn't what you were proposing? Well, that sure could have fooled someone. That that was what you meant was far more plausible than that I actually meant my sarcastic agreement with you.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:53 PM   #1128
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 23rd March 2017, 04:54 PM   #1129
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Image assembly of hate crime hoaxes I saw someone post.

http://i.imgur.com/WzpyMi5.jpg

Anecdotalanche!!!!
Old 23rd March 2017, 05:18 PM   #1130
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

'Just vandalism' has already been used in this thread to claim things aren't hate crimes, and thus don't belong in this thread. But, I'm sure this time it is different.
Does this indicate that you are admitting that you made an assumption and responded to your assumption rather than the actual post.
Old 23rd March 2017, 05:35 PM   #1131
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Btw, the power of "victimhood points" and the power of controlling a narrative are the basis for what holocaust revisionists think happened with the popular understanding of those events. Powerful people, victors in a war, with strong incentives to exaggerate and add many layers of victim narrative BS onto real events which were sufficiently awful without all the nonsense.

I would just recommend that anyone who completely dismisses revisionism about WW2 take a moment to consider how this thread has played out, the powerful allure of victim points, and the classic adage "the victors write the history books."

There was a hell of a good victimhood "cash in" to be had in the wake of that war, and billions of dollars flow to this day based on it. A militaristic, expansionist, eugenicist ethnostate gets very little questioning about their policies thanks to it too.
It's refreshing to have an honest Trump enthusiast freely express himself.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 05:57 PM   #1132
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Does this indicate that you are admitting that you made an assumption and responded to your assumption rather than the actual post.
What are you struggling with? The idea that a group of posters in this thread ignore or dismiss any hate crimes? Read back over just the last page or 2 to see plenty of evidence of that. Is it that "just vandalism" has been used to do just that? I can't easily search back through posts on Tapatalk, but I can find it for you later if you haven't seen it. <snip>

I've seen that you have accepted that some of the crimes brought up in this thread were real, and it's a sad state of affairs that people think it's ok to act like that. <snip>

Edited by jsfisher:  Edited for compliance with Rule 12 of the Membership Agreement.

Last edited by jsfisher; 23rd March 2017 at 06:37 PM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:02 PM   #1133
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 23rd March 2017, 06:25 PM   #1134
Noztradamus
Illuminator

What are you struggling with? The idea that a group of posters in this thread ignore or dismiss any hate crimes? Read back over just the last page or 2 to see plenty of evidence of that. Is it that "just vandalism" has been used to do just that? I can't easily search back through posts on Tapatalk, but I can find it for you later if you haven't seen it. <snip>

I've seen that you have accepted that some of the crimes brought up in this thread were real, and it's a sad state of affairs that people think it's ok to act like that. <snip>
Edited by jsfisher:  <snip> Moderated content and response to same redacted.

Last edited by jsfisher; 23rd March 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:28 PM   #1135
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
<snip>
Edited by jsfisher:  <snip> Moderated content and response to same redacted.

Last edited by jsfisher; 23rd March 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:28 PM   #1136
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

It's almost as though if you set up a society where victim points are the most highly prized currency that you can cash in for money, fame, deference, and power... people will lie their rumps off about victimhood incidents!
Such as tales of black-on-white brutal sexual violence so beloved of white supremacists who use it to justify their persecution complex.

Quote:

Oh, look. A white supremacist sympathetic to Holocaust denial. How novel and unexpected.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:31 PM   #1137
Jules Galen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Such as tales of black-on-white brutal sexual violence so beloved of white supremacists who use it to justify their persecution complex.

Oh, look. A white supremacist sympathetic to Holocaust denial. How novel and unexpected.
She's in jail for doing that, ya' know. I mean, even in Texas, there are limits as to what is tolerated. Strange, but true.
Jules Galen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:37 PM   #1138
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Jules Galen View Post
She's in jail for doing that, ya' know. I mean, even in Texas, there are limits as to what is tolerated. Strange, but true.
Does it not count if the hoaxer gets arrested and/or charged for making the hoax?

If so, that takes out almost all of the ones in Skeptic Tank's image.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:40 PM   #1139
Jules Galen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by A'isha;11769264[HILITE
]Does it not count if the hoaxer gets arrested and/or charged for making the hoax?[/hilite]

If so, that takes out almost all of the ones in Skeptic Tank's image.
Yeah...I guess it does. It's certainly one less dangerous liar that society must deal with.
Jules Galen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:23 PM   #1140
CaptainHowdy
Critical Thinker

This is an example of a hoax crime report. Is it necessarily a "hate" crime hoax? It's an example of a white woman making up a rape story involving black men. Did she originally say she had been targeted specifically because she was white?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 10:55 AM   #1141
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
This is an example of a hoax crime report. Is it necessarily a "hate" crime hoax? It's an example of a white woman making up a rape story involving black men. Did she originally say she had been targeted specifically because she was white?
Well, cops are generally much better about these things...but this type of hoax has...caused problems in my own life. I see very little distinction between this and a "hate crime".
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 12:19 PM   #1142
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, cops are generally much better about these things...but this type of hoax has...caused problems in my own life. I see very little distinction between this and a "hate crime".
Who is the hate directed at?
Old 24th March 2017, 01:06 PM   #1143
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Who is the hate directed at?
In both cases, an attempt to exploit hatred towards black people. Famously successful on the 80s, this time...not so much.

ETA: still haven't seen any sign of a "massive increase" - and I'd actually expect an increase to be gradual and caused by the election of *Obama* rather than Trump - whose election despite being a brazen bigot is another effect of that.

Last edited by Mumbles; 24th March 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2017, 01:35 PM   #1144
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another hoax in the name of diversity.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...tavus-adolphus
Old 24th March 2017, 03:20 PM   #1145
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
In both cases, an attempt to exploit hatred towards black people. Famously successful on the 80s, this time...not so much.

ETA: still haven't seen any sign of a "massive increase" - and I'd actually expect an increase to be gradual and caused by the election of *Obama* rather than Trump - whose election despite being a brazen bigot is another effect of that.
I see what you're saying... not sure that exploiting a stereotype is really a hate crime though.
Old 24th March 2017, 11:39 PM   #1146
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I think it's actually pretty understandable for a multiracial society to devolve into every group feeling aggrieved and threatened by other groups, and a spiral of endless recriminations.

Why? Because all of the groups have some degree of an actual point at the basis of their grievances. Some exaggerate it more than others, but all are getting at the same basic truth: the society isn't properly reflecting or serving ANY of them because a society cannot reflect the character, wishes, spirit and best interests of multiple incompatible, profoundly different groups at one time.

This is why I favor homogeneity. It improves the odds of harmony (though it does not guarantee it, but diversity guarantees disharmony.) and each group can feel they have their own space to be themselves.

Perhaps it would make sense to designate some spaces on the globe for cosmopolitan mixing, but no one should be put into a breeding competition within their own borders for control of their own lands.

And btw, in case you haven't noticed, none of this is going to be allowed to continue. Whites aren't going to quietly slip into oblivion voluntarily. The next 30 years will be wild.
Ah, that brings back memories. Max The Neanderthal said much the same thing around forty millennia ago. Nice to see humanity has progressed so much in the past forty thousand years.

And ya know what? Anthropologists since there was anthropology have believed Ol' Max. Blamed homo sapiens sapiens for wiping him and all his kind out. Turns out that's wrong. Many were (probably the separatists), but as we now know from gene/DNA studies, the Neanderthals weren't wiped out, at all, were they? They followed Rodney King's advice and found a way to all get along.

Take heart in that knowledge. Just as Neanderthals are still with us, your precious white bodily essence will stay in the make-up of future generations of yellowish-brownish-pinkish humans.

By the way, did no one else notice that you actually seem to be calling to arms for the coming race war?
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 12:22 AM   #1147
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Ah, that brings back memories. Max The Neanderthal said much the same thing around forty millennia ago. Nice to see humanity has progressed so much in the past forty thousand years.

And ya know what? Anthropologists since there was anthropology have believed Ol' Max. Blamed homo sapiens sapiens for wiping him and all his kind out. Turns out that's wrong. Many were (probably the separatists), but as we now know from gene/DNA studies, the Neanderthals weren't wiped out, at all, were they? They followed Rodney King's advice and found a way to all get along.

Take heart in that knowledge. Just as Neanderthals are still with us, your precious white bodily essence will stay in the make-up of future generations of yellowish-brownish-pinkish humans.

By the way, did no one else notice that you actually seem to be calling to arms for the coming race war?
Oh joy, we get to live on as a tiny percentage point or two of genetic remnant within the blood of the infinite, dusky third world hordes! Yippee!

You're proving my point for me. Everyone considers the Neanderthals to be extinct, their genetic remnant notwithstanding.

As for a call to arms? I'm certainly hoping that whites will stop going to their oblivion (or status as tiny genetic remnant) without a fight, but this is more an instance of me predicting an inevitability. This is part of why the plan for multiracial society was foolish in the first place. This backlash was entirely predictable. No plan that required that this not happen was a good plan, because this was always going to happen.

I'm certainly not advocating for violence. Just predicting a lot of strife to come. Plenty of it here already.
Old 25th March 2017, 08:31 AM   #1148
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Oh joy, we get to live on as a tiny percentage point or two of genetic remnant within the blood of the infinite, dusky third world hordes! Yippee!
Keep trying to cash in those "victimhood points," ST.
Old 25th March 2017, 09:45 AM   #1149
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I always wonder just how "genetically pure" white supremacists think they really are.

Old 25th March 2017, 09:48 AM   #1150
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Yet another hoax in the name of diversity.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quick...tavus-adolphus
That's not actually a "hoax", as the linked article shows.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to hear how this is a hoax. Perhaps the murder victim actually killed himself to frame this guy?

Old 25th March 2017, 10:23 AM   #1151
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That's not actually a "hoax", as the linked article shows.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to hear how this is a hoax. Perhaps the murder victim actually killed himself to frame this guy?
Putting up fake racist signs is certainly a hoax.

I'll ignore your strawman reference to the racist sword attack
Old 25th March 2017, 12:53 PM   #1152
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I always wonder just how "genetically pure" white supremacists think they really are.
Fairly, I'd say?

Conversations about "purity" can get pretty silly, though.

The point is, white people exist and we are a legitimate category with a right to self-determination and a right to exist.

Nobody questions whether "males" and "females" exist simply because there are some edge cases and not all males have exactly the same amount of testosterone, etc.

Similarly, when black people express concerns about threats to them as a group or the condition of their group or its future, nobody pretends not to understand what group they're referring to or badgers them about purity.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 25th March 2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 25th March 2017, 02:17 PM   #1153
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

That's not "genetically pure", that's merely a measure of what percent of the current average genetics of a particular geographic area you have. Modern "Northwestern European" genetics is the result of a large variety of different peoples with different genetics that have invaded and interbred with each other for millennia. The "purest" modern Englishman is as much of a genetic mutt as everyone else.

EDIT: Even the very names in your image there reveal that the different groups of so-called "white Europeans" have distinct genetics due to the different admixtures they've all undergone.

Quote:
Conversations about "purity" can get pretty silly, though.
Which apparently doesn't stop you from continuing to natter on about it for the rest of your post as if it mattered.

Quote:
The point is, white people exist and we are a legitimate category with a right to self-determination and a right to exist.
No, "white people" is not a category in the ethnic or cultural way that you're trying to make it. Not if it's a category broad enough to include people like me (which it does).

Quote:
Nobody questions whether "males" and "females" exist simply because there are some edge cases and not all males have exactly the same amount of testosterone, etc.
That's an incredibly dumb analogy, not least because we're not exactly talking about "edge cases" when it comes to the broad genetic variety of "white people".

Quote:
Similarly, when black people express concerns about threats to them as a group or the condition of their group or its future, nobody pretends not to understand what group they're referring to or badgers them about purity.
That's because there's an actual long, documented history of what has happened to African-Americans. All white supremacists have is whining and faux victimization complexes.

And I see you have no problem considering African-Americans "black people" despite the fact that on average they're 20-30% European by genetic heritage. So maybe your freaking the **** out about the genetics of "white people" being "tainted" is not just premature, but kind of ridiculous.

Last edited by A'isha; 25th March 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 25th March 2017, 02:36 PM   #1154
mgidm86
Master Poster

And I see you have no problem considering African-Americans "black people" despite the fact that on average they're 20-30% European by genetic heritage. So maybe your freaking the **** out about the genetics of "white people" being "tainted" is not just premature, but kind of ridiculous.

How is calling them African American any better if they are 20-30% European?

I'm 50% Italian but I'm considered a white guy. Never been to Italy, I am not Italian, or Italian American.

When I managed a club I asked a black customer which of the two he preferred to be called - African American or black. He said he didn't really care, although he was not American but was indeed black.

Now we are back to calling them "colored" (people of color, to be precise). Crazy country.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2017, 02:58 PM   #1155
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
How is calling them African American any better if they are 20-30% European?
Because one is a standard, accepted term that includes their nationality, while the other is a description of their genetic heritage used the same way white supremacists in the US talk about their "European" genetics despite being American themselves.

Quote:
I'm 50% Italian but I'm considered a white guy.
Which is itself another blow to Skeptic Tank's thesis about the genetics of white people. Particularly if your ancestors were Southern Italian or Sicilian.

Old Today, 11:27 AM   #1156
CaptainHowdy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HenryLee View Post
Between this one and the fake-news reporter trying to frame his girlfriend how many of the threats are accounted for now?
The answer to your question is probably all of them.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:49 AM   #1157
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Massive overestimation
Old Today, 03:33 PM   #1158
mgidm86
Master Poster

Because one is a standard, accepted term that includes their nationality, while the other is a description of their genetic heritage used the same way white supremacists in the US talk about their "European" genetics despite being American themselves.

Which is itself another blow to Skeptic Tank's thesis about the genetics of white people. Particularly if your ancestors were Southern Italian or Sicilian.
Sure it's standard now, but that changes decade to decade. I've never met a black person that was offended by being called black, and like I said, I've asked. Not saying they don't exist, of course. I didn't ask them all.

Not all Black people in America are African either, or American. I have no problem being called white and I think it's easier to drop all the PC bull. We call "Orientals" Asians now, but we don't call Russians Asian even though Russia is in Asia. So how descriptive is that? It's stupid. If you want to describe a person, then describe them.

Or do this:

"See that guy standing over there?"
"Which one? I see 4?"
"The guy with the black suit and pinstripes."
"Ok, they all have similar suits."
"The guy that's taller"
"Okay there are 2 tall guys that are the same height"
"One has a moustache"
"Oh you mean the black guy, geez why didn't you say so?"

If we want to describe people we should simply describe them and not play cutesy with the words.

Anyways, where is the massive wave? I'm buying a surfboard and wanna shoot some Hate-Curls.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events