ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity opinions , comedians , george carlin

Old 10th February 2019, 04:59 AM   #81
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by shankara View Post
Well I don't see the thread being moved out of the "Conspiracy Theories" section.
Must be a conspiracy.
Old 10th February 2019, 07:57 AM   #82
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Must be a conspiracy.
What other explanation could there be?
shankara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 01:26 AM   #83
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
What other explanation could there be?
What does your intuition- sorry, your INTUITION, tell you?
Old 11th February 2019, 02:50 AM   #84
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What does your intuition- sorry, your INTUITION, tell you?
Man, that was humor.
shankara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 04:32 AM   #85
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Man, that was humor.
Thank you captain obvious. Got any substance to offer or are you completely low rent?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:29 AM   #86
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Thank you captain obvious. Got any substance to offer or are you completely low rent?
Obviously I have some kind of complex about potentially being misinterpreted. Oedipal probably.
Old 15th February 2019, 10:34 AM   #87
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Comedian searching for material to entertain, mistaken for a conspiracy theorist

Well y'know, seemed like a good way to start conversation on a topic.
What is the topic to discuss?

"George Carlin
I figured I'd put this in the Conspiracy Theory section because it seems that Conspiracy Theorists is what we label people who speak against the powers that be."

Carlin, not a "conspiracy theorist", a "comedian theorist". Searching for material and a routine. Maybe ďUncle DaveĒ was a CTer.

From - His last interview -
Quote:
You were central in the Supreme Court case in which justices affirmed the government's right to regulate your ďSeven Words You Can Never Say on TelevisionĒ act on the public airwaves. How do you think about the role of vulgarity in your humor?

I used to point out that when I was a little boy in the 40s, I was told to look up to and admire solders and sailors, policemen, firemen, and athletes, were objects of childhood hero worship. We all know how they talk. So apparently these words do not corrupt morally. This was the thing I couldnít put together.

I use the words because Iím from that ethos. Iím from the street in New York, hung around in a tough neighborhood. It was common to curse, you make your point. Itís a very effective language. I try not to overdo it. Itís never to shock. I know where it fits, itís never to shock. Thereís no shock value left in words. Humor is based on surprise, and surprise is a milder way of saying shock. Itís surprise that makes the joke.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories