ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , Laclede primer , Mark Basile , Niels Harrit

Old 22nd October 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Refining iron ores by reduction.

While researching the behavior of the paint specimens that Harrit, Basile and Jones are calling thermite, the presence of the iron microspheres after burning seems to be a sticking point to whic the twoofs like to grab hold and shake.

Some of the sphereules found in the dust are clearly welding fume from the construction of the building or flyash from the concrete used in the floor slabs. Some are clearly inclusions under the paint from the foundary where structural elements were fabricated and painted.

This does not, however, neccessarily rule out that some of the sphereules found in the ash of the paint chips were formed during the testing. That some of them contain silicon as well still supports that they were formed when the chip was burned.

Now, my knowledge of refining procedures is rather limited, but it occurs to me that some forms of iron are refined at temperatures far lower than you would expect to find in a refinery that produces high-quality steel, or even pig iron.

Wrought iron, as I recall, does not even enter a true molten state.

Since we have in the paint chips everything that we need to produce wrought iron, I am wondering whether the heat of burning the chips couild, alone, have produced enough heat to reduce the iron oxide.

Any chemists want to offer an opinon on this?
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Myriad
Hyperthetical

That is quite likely. The relevant processes would be reduction of the iron oxide from hematite Fe2O3 to magnetite FeO.Fe2O3, and condensation into droplets. (Truthers prefer to imply that droplets can only form from mechanical division of bulk liquid material; one wonders if every time they see rain or fog, they posit recent explosions in nearby bodies of water.)

These two posts from a previous thread (although on a slightly different topic of microsphere formation from the combustion of wood and paper) might be relevant:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...47#post6405547
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...92#post6405992

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Lefty - look up direct reduced iron and bloomery. Both shall lead you to the reduction of iron ore below the melting point.

I've seen papers showing reduction of Fe2O3 to Fe3O4 using CO as low as 450C and 325C using H2
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2011, 05:25 PM   #4
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
I've seen papers showing reduction of Fe2O3 to Fe3O4 using CO as low as 450C and 325C using H2
So it is entirely reasonable to expect that burning a great pile of paper impregnated with kaolin and iron to produce iron-rich spheres with some silicon and aluminum content, right?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories