IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:03 PM   #1
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Help debunking Nazca lines linked with Angkor Wat

There is apparently somebody called Jim Allison who has produced maps of global rings which show all sorts of ancient places linked within a band of narrow width. My heart sinks! Could someone please help me find suitable rational information to counter thisstuff. The proposer of this is convinced of its veracity, but at least I must make sure that other readers do not think we all think that it is so.

Thank you.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:11 PM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Got a link, Susan? I could do with a giggle.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:15 PM   #3
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

If I had the time and energy, I would try to calculate just how many potential lines there are. Our buddy Jim Alison (one 'L') says the following:

Originally Posted by Jim Alison
Great circles are straight lines that go all the way around the center of the earth. The equator is a great circle. Meridians of longitude that cross over the north and south poles are also great circles. For every location on a great circle, it's antipodal location is also on the circle. Other than the equator itself, any great circle crosses the equator at two antipodal locations, 180° apart.
So that does limit things a teeny bit in that it has to really go all the way around the world - it can't be, like, a tiny ring five feet across. But still, picture it this way: if you pick any spot on the globe and draw the ring so that it goes through there, you can now slowly rotate that ring and every single tiny incremental adjustment makes a new ring. Then you can move to the next spot and do it again. (There would be a little overlap of course, but that's a minor thing.)

So we would have some absurdly large number of potential rings, and since we're not limiting our selection of relevant sites to any particular culture we have a very target rich environment. Also, remember that we don't need to name our targets ahead of time - we can just draw circles endlessly until one goes through a few places we've deemed interesting, even if there are thousands more sites that it misses. (In other words, remember the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy.)

With all this in mind, OF COURSE he found a circle or two that cross through multiple ancient sites! It would be far stranger if he didn't!
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:16 PM   #4
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Got a link, Susan? I could do with a giggle.
http://geolines.ru/eng/publications/...EODESY_39.html

This is what I found. I only skimmed it though.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
My thought would be that you could choose any similar band that crosses temperate and equatorial land masses and arrive at similar results.

In other words, it's something like a Texas sharpshooter fallacy: "Hmm, I found all these sites I'd like to link...if I can draw a line between them then..."

ETA: Doh! Ninja'ed.

But yeah, having seen the "methodology", you have a infinite number of bands to choose from, so I'd be MUCH more surprised if you couldn't link multiple sites on a band.

Last edited by Hellbound; 27th November 2017 at 12:18 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:35 PM   #6
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I've forgotten what to click on to get all the multi-qquotes here!

Many thanks for the very helpful replies, much appreciated.

I'll send pm's to you with a link to my post on the forum concerned.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SusanB-M1 View Post
I've forgotten what to click on to get all the multi-qquotes here!
The little ["] button for the first ones, and the "Quote" button for the last one.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:44 PM   #8
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Addendum to my previous post - if you want to show the absurdity of this, it would be easy to draw your own circles. The trick is, you don't want to do it with ancient sites because if you succeed that just reinforces their point. Instead, do it with something else. Waffle House locations. Sex toy factories. Google's data centers.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Addendum to my previous post - if you want to show the absurdity of this, it would be easy to draw your own circles. The trick is, you don't want to do it with ancient sites because if you succeed that just reinforces their point. Instead, do it with something else. Waffle House locations. Sex toy factories. Google's data centers.
I was going to write almost exactly this, though I was going to say adult stores instead of sex toy factories.

Ninja'd by one as perverse as I.
Old 27th November 2017, 01:10 PM   #10
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Many thanks for further posts!

I sent pms - hope they've arrived. Would you like links too, trebuchet?
Old 27th November 2017, 01:13 PM   #11
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
Woolworths stores...

http://www.badscience.net/2010/01/vo...-the-ancients/

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 01:25 PM   #12
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe KoTA will be along to 'splain it all to us.
Old 27th November 2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Woolworths stores...
Yep. It's just a trick where you note the hits and ignore the misses and magical shapes can be shown. I also see this ridiculous claim for hidden shapes in Shakespeare's Sonnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woolworths stores.jpg (98.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg The earlier version.jpg (68.2 KB, 5 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2017, 11:37 PM   #14
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Yep. It's just a trick where you note the hits and ignore the misses and magical shapes can be shown. I also see this ridiculous claim for hidden shapes in Shakespeare's Sonnets.

Another thing that makes me wince is the term 'sacred geometry'. This too crops up at regular intervals on GH!
Old 28th November 2017, 01:03 AM   #15
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
That's the one I was thinking about myself as well.

Starts at about 6 minutes in.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 28th November 2017, 02:05 AM   #16
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
There is apparently somebody called Jim Allison who has produced maps of global rings which show all sorts of ancient places linked within a band of narrow width. My heart sinks! Could someone please help me find suitable rational information to counter thisstuff. The proposer of this is convinced of its veracity, but at least I must make sure that other readers do not think we all think that it is so.

Thank you.
This is clearly impossible, as the Earth is flat.

/end thread.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2017, 05:03 AM   #17
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
This is clearly impossible, as the Earth is flat.

/end thread.

thank you!! that really made me laugh out loud!!! And of course, I should have thought of that - there's been so much on the forums about that recently!

Last edited by SusanB-M1; 28th November 2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 28th November 2017, 05:33 AM   #18
erwinl
Illuminator

By the way. Global rings?

What about Local Rings?

(which is one weird spectacle if you see them).
Old 28th November 2017, 04:53 PM   #19
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I remember reading that one needs to take a pretty expansive view of what constitutes "important" ancient places while ignoring quite a few others. It looks like he drew a circle connecting two points and then looked to see what else the line happened to cross. It's the definition of confirmation bias.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 01:49 AM   #20
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
thank you!! that really made me laugh out loud!!! And of course, I should have thought of that - there's been so much on the forums about that recently!
You're very welcome.

On a more serious note, though, it is interesting (at least to me) how rarely woo-merchants argue with each other, even though their ideas are clearly mutually exclusive.
Woosters of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your claims.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2017, 02:04 PM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
You're very welcome.

On a more serious note, though, it is interesting (at least to me) how rarely woo-merchants argue with each other, even though their ideas are clearly mutually exclusive.
Woosters of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your claims.
You support my ********, I'll support yours.

Anyway, they have to keep up a united front against those unscrupulous bastards who insist on unfairly bringing facts into the discussion.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal