ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dan fogelberg , obituaries

Old 16th December 2007, 07:00 PM   #1
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Fogelberg gone

Dan Fogelberg died today of Prostate Cancer...
Da*n.
Link has unplugged performance of "Leader of the Band"
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Lisa Simpson

Aw...that's a shame.

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 16th December 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, that's a name I hadn't heard in years. I listened to some of his stuff back in the 80's.

ETA: Yikes! Now that I look at his discography, it was the 70's. I'm old.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer

Last edited by The Central Scrutinizer; 16th December 2007 at 08:40 PM.
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Tricky
Briefly immortal

I loved so much of his music. Souvenirs was "our song" for me and my love in college. I still get watery-eyed thinking about it. Many of his songs are in my repertoire. He will be sorely missed.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 10:24 PM   #5
fuelair
Banned

And the guy announcing it on CNN clearly had no knowledge except what they printed for him to read about Fogelberg. The announcement was pathetic and uncomfortable.
The gist of it was: some music guy from the 70's named Dan Fogelberg died of prostate cancer and he wrote something that people from back then might remember.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 11:12 PM   #6
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

"The Innocent Age" is one of my favorite albums - a "desert island disc" for me.

It's pitiful that CNN botched the obituary. Sure, he wasn't some rapper getting shot in a nightclub, and he never dated starlets. Therefore he wasn't as well known as today's "stars". But that doesn't have anything to do with his work, which was beautiful.

"A quiet man of music..."
Old 16th December 2007, 11:31 PM   #7
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by juryjone View Post
"The Innocent Age" is one of my favorite albums - a "desert island disc" for me.

It's pitiful that CNN botched the obituary. Sure, he wasn't some rapper getting shot in a nightclub, and he never dated starlets. Therefore he wasn't as well known as today's "stars". But that doesn't have anything to do with his work, which was beautiful.

"A quiet man of music..."
That album means a lot to me too.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 16th December 2007 at 11:32 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2007, 01:40 AM   #8
Kopji

Will be missed.

A common liking of his music was something that my wife and I had in common back in the 80's when we met. Nice memories.

'Somewhere along the road' will probably always be one of my favorites, but my taste in music seems to have changed since then. I remember liking almost every song on 'Innocent Age' once, but now it seems a little too sweet. I still have 'The Reach' and 'In the Passage' on my mp3 playlist though.

Quote:
The lines of life are never long
when seen from end to end
The future's never coming
and the past has never been.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2007, 05:48 AM   #9
Tricky
Briefly immortal

I played his song Netherlands at my wedding. Beautiful, symphonic arrangement and wonderful lyrics. *sigh*
High on this mountain
The clouds down below
I'm feeling so strong and alive
From this rocky perch
I'll continue to search
For the wind
And the snow
And the sky

I want a lover
I want some friends
And I want to live in the sun
And I want to do all
the things that I
never have done.

Sunny bright mornings
And pale moonlit nights
Keep me from feeling alone
Now, I'm learning to fly
And this freedom is like
Nothing that I've ever known

I've seen the bottom
And I've been on top
But mostly I've lived in between
And where do you go
When you get to the end of
your dream?

Off in the nether lands
I heard a sound
Like the beating of heavenly wings
And deep in my brain
I can hear a refrain
Of my soul as she rises and sings

Anthems to glory and
Anthems to love and
Hymns filled with early delight
Like the songs that the darkness
Composes to worship the light.

Once in a vision
I came on some woods
And stood at a fork in the road
My choices were clear
Yet I froze with the fear
Of not knowing which way to go

One road was simple
Acceptance of life
The other road offered sweet peace
When I made my decision
My vision became my release.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Swagomatic
Homer Simpson Analogue

This is a huge bummer for me. One of my best memories from high school is a Fogelberg concert I saw at Grady Gammage Auditorium at ASU in Tempe, AZ. It was in 1977. What a great show. I have always been a sucker for acoustic guitar. My favorite song is probably "Part of the Plan". Not so much for the lyrics, but I really like the guitar.
Swagomatic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 02:00 PM   #11
Rodney
Illuminator

Dan Fogelberg is in my Top Ten of popular music. My favorite is "Believe In Me."
Rodney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

I really like "The River", "The Raven", "Crow" (bird theme here?) and "Tell Me To My Face" with Tim Weisberg (Twin Sons album). Also the "Wolf Creek Pass" album. I have 3 albums (LPs), 2 CDs & 1 cassette tape, plus a number of songs in MP3.

Yes it was painful hearing some reporter stumble - twice - over "Fogelberg" (I think she called him "Flugelborg" once). She had no clue, nor did she know whether the song or the album was "Leader of the Band". But this was the same anchor who, a minute before, had been describing a car accident scene: "There's a car in the water, you can see, the police are out on a floating, a floating thing, a floating thing, there, going to, to get it, to get the people...)

That would be a boat.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts