IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags madeleine mccann , missing persons cases , Portugal incidents

Old 15th December 2018, 04:22 PM   #1
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

The Madeleine McCann Case.

It was difficult to find a place with current, credible information.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/223894...atest-age-now/

I ran a search, but couldn't locate a thread here about this interesting case.

Personally, I do not believe the parents are involved. Does anyone have thoughts on what happened to her, and if the child is still alive?
Old 15th December 2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Someone involved in the investigation of the case recently offered the suggestion Maddie woke up during the night and wandered off to look for her parents. Gerry and Kate McCann reacted with great anger and insisted that 'someone had taken her from the apartment'.

How can they be so sure? Or is the story 'someone has taken her' to assuage their feelings of guilt at leaving their kids alone with an unlocked door or worse, to cover up the fact they know she wasn't taken, but that has become their mantra, for whatever reason.

If you recall, Kate raised the alarm by running back to her party and shouting, 'They've taken her, they've taken her'.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 05:11 PM   #3
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Here’s the original thread

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ghlight=McCann

Everything that needed to be said, has been in this thread, including a great deal of hateful posts and CTs galore.

No offence wasabi, but this forum does not need to rehash this. It’s a bit like starting the Amanda Knox thread all over.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2018, 05:50 PM   #4
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Everything that needed to be said, has been in this thread, including a great deal of hateful posts and CTs galore.

No offence wasabi, but this forum does not need to rehash this. It’s a bit like starting the Amanda Knox thread all over.

Sorry I didn't find it in my search. And, you're right, no need to rehash when nothing has changed.

Last edited by zooterkin; 11th June 2020 at 04:18 AM.
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 03:02 AM   #5
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Amaral is a lousy detective. In my opinion the case has an international dimension, and a paedophile dimension which most people don't think happens.

The Toronto Homicide Squad reported at the start of the case that they thought she had been murdered, and the detectives from Scotland Yard still don't have much of a clue about exactly what happened.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 03:25 AM   #6
fagin
Philosopher

Toronto?
Old 17th December 2018, 03:30 AM   #7
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It was difficult to find a place with current, credible information.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/223894...atest-age-now/

I ran a search, but couldn't locate a thread here about this interesting case.

Personally, I do not believe the parents are involved. Does anyone have thoughts on what happened to her, and if the child is still alive?
That newspaper article is just a summary of the investigation over the years, with the main theories as to what happened. It would be interesting if there was something new and specific, but there is not.
Old 17th December 2018, 08:14 AM   #8
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Toronto?
Leave it. He's on a roll.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 11:48 AM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

20 pages of parents did it, parents didn't do it, bad parenting, not bad parenting, blood in boot, missing white girl syndrome, inept local cops, inept UK cops, Private Investigators found this, private investigators wrong, too much money spent, parents seem on TV too much, UK politicians politicising it, look at this photo of a girl somewhere on the other side of the world, that photo looks nothing like her, new statement by alleged un-named source, what about all these missing kids?, why are the parents called by their first names?.......yadda yadda yadda

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 05:33 PM   #10
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

And the little girl's name was Madeleine and nobody ever called her Maddie. Newspapers made that up because it's a shorter word to fit in a headline. I understand it upsets her family to hear her being called Maddie. Who is this Maddie? They never had a daughter called Maddie.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:49 PM   #11
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
And the little girl's name was Madeleine and nobody ever called her Maddie. Newspapers made that up because it's a shorter word to fit in a headline. I understand it upsets her family to hear her being called Maddie. Who is this Maddie? They never had a daughter called Maddie.
So claims Kate McCann. Yet Gerry did call her Maddie. Claiming to be upset because people use a common short name seems strange when your daughter has gone missing and football fans have a banner with 'FIND MADDIE' trying to help find her.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 10:51 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

Was that the thread where the psychic whose name I forget but who publicly failed at the MDC at TAM7 started to chime in?
Old 6th May 2019, 09:11 AM   #13
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Madeleine McCann: New suspect is German man under investigation for alleged child sex offences
https://news.yahoo.com/madeleine-mcc...185200662.html
Quote:
The new suspect in the Madeleine McCann case is a German man already being investigated over alleged child sex offences, Sky News can reveal.

He is one of two suspects who are currently the focus of teams of detectives in Portugal and the UK.

The man was on remand in prison in Germany when police there decided to alert the Portuguese team which is working with Scotland Yard on the Madeleine case.
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:48 AM   #14
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Madeleine McCann: New suspect is German man under investigation for alleged child sex offences
https://news.yahoo.com/madeleine-mcc...185200662.html

Ranb
More news on this suspect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52914016

A 43-year-old German prisoner who travelled around Portugal in a camper van is now the focus of Scotland Yard's investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Police believe he was in the area where the three-year-old was last seen in May 2007.

They are appealing for information about the van and the suspect's other vehicle, a Jaguar.

The man transferred it to someone else's name the day after she vanished.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:09 PM   #15
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

From May 2019;

https://news.sky.com/story/madeleine...ences-11711592

"The new suspect in the Madeleine McCann case is a German man already being investigated over alleged child sex offences, Sky News can reveal."

Is it just to keep the finding going?

Last edited by Nessie; 3rd June 2020 at 12:10 PM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2020, 06:59 PM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Not like this was not predicted:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...iving-17463500

I have no comment.
Old 4th June 2020, 02:57 AM   #17
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Is it just to keep the finding going?
Did you mean to say "funding"?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 03:44 AM   #18
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Did you mean to say "funding"?
Yes. It is working, as this is the headline on the BBC now;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52916137
Old 4th June 2020, 04:37 AM   #19
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The suspect has been named as Christian Brueckner, who appears to be in jail for the rape of a 72-year-old woman.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/first...pect-12804492/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4th June 2020, 04:42 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The suspect has been named as Christian Brueckner, who appears to be in jail for the rape of a 72-year-old woman.

Just keep in mind that is being reported by a DMGT publication.
Old 4th June 2020, 04:46 AM   #21
Matthew Best
Philosopher

There’s a load more information about him here

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...cting-22136625

The rape he’s in prison for happened in 2005 though he wasn’t tried until last year.

Old 4th June 2020, 08:21 AM   #22
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Well, that’s good timing; this is the story on just about every newspaper front page. Good job there’s nothing more important to report on.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2020, 09:12 AM   #23
Rolfe

This genuinely sounds promising to me. The German authorities are involved and I can't see why they would co-operate in resurrecting a dead duck of a lead for some political reason that wouldn't benefit Germany in the slightest.
Old 4th June 2020, 12:19 PM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

From German news coverage, I get the following:

1. German police took this to a TV format with long, distinguished reputation to call on the public for witnesses to step forward. This is hardly done willy-nilly, and certainly not to aide anyone's fundraising.

2. This is the information we have on the suspect that may increase the likelihood he did it - although I don't know which of these facts are actually taken into account by investigators at this time to make any determination of suspectabiliy:
A. He lived nearby the McCanns at the time
B. He has a police and criminal record involving sexual abuses, and also involving children (or perhaps a child)
C. He is suspected to have made a living off of burglaries, drug trade and other crimes while in Portugal at the time
D. One of his two cars, a Jaguar, was registered to a different name in Portugal the day after M. disappeared. Although I did not read whose name, and whether that means the suspect retained possession of the Jaguar.

3. The main object of police going on TV seems to be to find the person who made a phone call to the suspect on the day of the disappearence from a known and now publicized number. It may be a crucial witness. Though I am not sure any explanation was provided for why police think so.
Old 5th June 2020, 02:00 PM   #25
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

1. German police took this to a TV format with long, distinguished reputation to call on the public for witnesses to step forward. This is hardly done willy-nilly, and certainly not to aide anyone's fundraising.

2. This is the information we have on the suspect that may increase the likelihood he did it - although I don't know which of these facts are actually taken into account by investigators at this time to make any determination of suspectabiliy:
B. He has a police and criminal record involving sexual abuses, and also involving children (or perhaps a child)
C. He is suspected to have made a living off of burglaries, drug trade and other crimes while in Portugal at the time
D. One of his two cars, a Jaguar, was registered to a different name in Portugal the day after M. disappeared. Although I did not read whose name, and whether that means the suspect retained possession of the Jaguar.

3. The main object of police going on TV seems to be to find the person who made a phone call to the suspect on the day of the disappearence from a known and now publicized number. It may be a crucial witness. Though I am not sure any explanation was provided for why police think so.
E. He is alleged to have confessed to an acquaintance that he abducted and murdered Madeleine McCann, while watching TV coverage of the inquiry on the tenth anniversary of her disappearance. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-pal-22141762
Old 5th June 2020, 02:07 PM   #26
Rolfe

I'm not a great believer in jailhouse snitch "confessions", but I wouldn't discount this out of hand.
Old 5th June 2020, 06:01 PM   #27
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

They’re looking into him in 2 other murder cases now. One is a teenager and one is a 5 year old, AIUI. It is difficult because many of the sources are in German.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2020, 12:50 AM   #28
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Paedophiles are attracted to 72-year-old women..?

Old 6th June 2020, 01:17 AM   #29
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

He hasn't been charged. Thus, if there is no evidence to link him, he could be in receipt of huge compensation claims from the media.

ISTM to be suspect-centric. This guy has been a suspect twice before.

He lived in Praia de Luz at the time so no big surprise he was pinged near the beach on 3 May 2007, late spring and warm weather. Even the McCanns and the so-called Tapas 12 were dining al fresco in the balmy South Western Portuguese air.

He took a phone call an hour before Madeleine's reported disappearance from someone called 'Diago Silva'. Now this could well be a pseudonym as it was an off-contract pay as you go number. Brückner was a drug dealer and this category of person do use their mobile phones quite a lot, often anonymously for obvious reasons.

Yes, he lived within 48 kilometres of the missing 5-year-old Inga Gehricke in 2015 and he was a suspect then. The box factory where he had his camper van (...?) parked at the time was thoroughly dug up at the time. He acquired a further chidl sex offender conviction when police found his discarded USB stick containing child pornography. They found no sign of Inga. In fact, the prime suspect was a man called Silvio Schulz who was later jailed for killing two other children, one a boy snatched from a Bosnian refuge camp.

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is, sea side resorts in the Mediterannean are crawling with European suspects on the run from various crimes and there are literally hundreds of perverts and paedohpiles hanging around anywhere families with young children gather.

Brückner seemed to have had an underage girlfriend in Portugal but then so do many men, especially if they are relatively young themselves.

Brückner's sex offences aged 17 when he abused a six-year-old girl in a playground and flashing at a nine-year-old could be seen as youth crimes which don't necessarily carry over into adulthood.

Most of Brückner's convictions apart from the rape of a 72-year old, being in possession of child pornography and attempting to 'procure himself' - presumably putting himself in a grooming position on the internet - are mainly petty crimes, do do with driving without a licence and general criminality and degeneracy I would link to an Anti-Social Behaviour Disorder, possibly arising from his early life of being given up by his mother and spending time in a childrens home before being adopted. He is clearly a psychopath, going by his restlessness, descriptions by neighbours as always appearing to be in a rage, his chaotic lifestyle and need for instant gratification.

He seems to be an obvious candidate for suspicion of having impulsively - or even calculatingly - kidnapping little Maddie which is why he has been a suspect before.

However, none of this means he actually did it. Police don't appear to have any hard evidence, no DNA found in the campervan or Jaguar, I presume, hence their public appeal for help.

All they have is his communicating with a two-times child killer in a forum that his ideal situation would be to kidnap 'something small' and then exterminate it - using the Nazi term 'vernicht' it having finished 'using it'. So cold, callous psychpathic and amoral, for sure.

The other 'evidence' is his telling a bar room pal, he knew what had happened to Maddie on the tenth anniversary and the news coming up on the screen.

The police and the media fervently wish Brückner to be the perpetrator and for the case to be solved but I fear that once again this could be a wild goose chase although I hope they do find proper evidence and that their strong hunch is not in vain.

Old 6th June 2020, 01:23 AM   #30
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

One problem the police may have is specialist knowledge. What is there left that only the police know about, that Bruckner could reveal, which only the perpetrator could know?

With no DNA link, no body recovered, no specialist knowledge, is, under German law a simple confession enough? I doubt it.
Old 6th June 2020, 01:41 AM   #31
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

One problem the police may have is specialist knowledge. What is there left that only the police know about, that Bruckner could reveal, which only the perpetrator could know?

With no DNA link, no body recovered, no specialist knowledge, is, under German law a simple confession enough? I doubt it.
He hasn't actually confessed has he? They wish! Millions of armchair detectives around the world claim to 'know what happened to Madeleine McCann'.

Given his strong denial of having raped the 72-year-old, although he did BARD, he'll be denying everything else as well.

Old 6th June 2020, 02:13 AM   #32
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
He hasn't been charged. Thus, if there is no evidence to link him, he could be in receipt of huge compensation claims from the media.
Unlikely.

The police and the media fervently wish Brückner to be the perpetrator and for the case to be solved but I fear that once again this could be a wild goose chase although I hope they do find proper evidence and that their strong hunch is not in vain.
I agree.
Old 6th June 2020, 02:17 AM   #33
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

..., is, under German law a simple confession enough? I doubt it.
I don't think he will (if at all) be tried under German law. Crime was done in Portugal, victim is British. Question would rather be: is it enough for an extradition?
Old 6th June 2020, 02:23 AM   #34
Samson
Philosopher

I don't think he will (if at all) be tried under German law. Crime was done in Portugal, victim is British. Question would rather be: is it enough for an extradition?
Far worse evidence jails innocent people, this looks like the real McCoy, and if the system gives him parole now, we should be collectively ashamed.
Curious how many crimes he has been released for in his somewhat intermediate grade career.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2020, 04:01 AM   #35
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Why would the media claim compensation from him? That makes no sense at all.
Old 6th June 2020, 12:09 PM   #36
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Why would the media claim compensation from him? That makes no sense at all.
He'd be the claimant. Imagine he is actually innocent of Madeleine McCanns's disappearance. Well, he has his legal right to privacy breached. The tabloids are acting as though he has already been found guilty. Prejudice to his court case, etc., etc.

Old 7th June 2020, 04:06 AM   #37
Matthew Best
Philosopher

He'd be the claimant. Imagine he is actually innocent of Madeleine McCanns's disappearance. Well, he has his legal right to privacy breached. The tabloids are acting as though he has already been found guilty. Prejudice to his court case, etc., etc.
Ah, so he would be the claimant. That makes sense, although it is the opposite of what you originally said, which was that he would be "in receipt of huge compensation claims from the media" (obviously a claimant does not receive claims, he issues them).

It would be easier to discuss this if your posts actually said what you want them to say.
Old 7th June 2020, 04:45 AM   #38
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, so he would be the claimant. That makes sense, although it is the opposite of what you originally said, which was that he would be "in receipt of huge compensation claims from the media" (obviously a claimant does not receive claims, he issues them).

It would be easier to discuss this if your posts actually said what you want them to say.
Whatevs.

Old 7th June 2020, 05:43 AM   #39
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Whatevs.
QED.
Old 9th June 2020, 03:31 AM   #40
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...an-authorities

"Hans Christian Wolters, a spokesman for the Braunschweig public prosecutor’s office, said on Monday it had some evidence Madeleine was dead but did not have enough for a trial.

Wolters told Sky News: “The hard evidence we don’t have, we don’t have the crucial evidence of Madeleine McCann’s body.

“We expect that she is dead, but we don’t have enough evidence that we can get a warrant for our suspect in Germany for the murder of Madeleine McCann.

“At the moment, we also don’t have enough proof for a trial at court, but we have some evidence that the suspect has done the deed. That’s why we need more information from people, especially places he has lived, so we can target these places especially and search there for Madeleine.”

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors