IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags marijuana , marijuana legalization

Old 4th December 2020, 01:58 PM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

House passes Canabis decriminalization

DOA at the Senate?
Old 4th December 2020, 02:13 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
DOA at the Senate?
Jesus, that is stupid. Laws against Mary Jane are so widely ignored that it's like prohibition in the last days" a great many law enforcement agencies are not even trying to enforce them.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 02:22 PM   #3
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Jesus, that is stupid. Laws against Mary Jane are so widely ignored that it's like prohibition in the last days" a great many law enforcement agencies are not even trying to enforce them.
I live on the West Coast. We have drive through pot stores.
Old 4th December 2020, 02:27 PM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Cannabis*

Geez, put the pipe down.../sarc

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 02:28 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I live on the West Coast. We have drive through pot stores.
I live in Sacramento. In some public parks, you can stoned in the summer just by breahting the air.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 02:29 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Cannabis*

Geez, put the pipe down.../sarc
Dont' Bogart Thea Joint....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2020, 02:39 PM   #7
dirtywick
Master Poster

would be good if they passed it so individuals would have some employment protections
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet according to PEW research:
Police officers made about 663,000 arrests for marijuana-related offenses...amounting to 40% of the 1.65 million total drug arrests in the U.S. that year (2018).

So, arrests are decreasing, but they are still fairly common.

Something else that should be considered.

Marijuana arrests nationally are down 18% since 2010, but there has been an uptick since 2015—even though more states are enacting legalization or decriminalization policies
Overall, black people are 3.64 times more likely than white people to be arrested for marijuana possession, even though usage rates are comparable....“The one common finding across every state and the vast majority of counties is that black people are more likely to be arrested for possessing marijuana than white people, regardless of whether possession is illegal, legal, or decriminalized in their state,” the report concludes.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 02:51 PM   #9
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I live in Sacramento. In some public parks, you can stoned in the summer just by breahting the air.
Whereabouts? I spent a lot of time up around Citrus Heights, Roseville, Folsom area.
Old 4th December 2020, 03:09 PM   #10
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yet according to PEW research:
Police officers made about 663,000 arrests for marijuana-related offenses...amounting to 40% of the 1.65 million total drug arrests in the U.S. that year (2018).

So, arrests are decreasing, but they are still fairly common.

Something else that should be considered.

Marijuana arrests nationally are down 18% since 2010, but there has been an uptick since 2015—even though more states are enacting legalization or decriminalization policies
Overall, black people are 3.64 times more likely than white people to be arrested for marijuana possession, even though usage rates are comparable....“The one common finding across every state and the vast majority of counties is that black people are more likely to be arrested for possessing marijuana than white people, regardless of whether possession is illegal, legal, or decriminalized in their state,” the report concludes.
But how can that possibly be? Bill Barr has decreed there is "generally no systemic racism in the US among our police departments". The report must be wrong
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 03:29 PM   #11
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But how can that possibly be? Bill Barr has decreed there is "generally no systemic racism in the US among our police departments". The report must be wrong
Black people are bad at hiding the fact that their melatonin is high.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2020, 04:03 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Whereabouts? I spent a lot of time up around Citrus Heights, Roseville, Folsom area.
Howe Avenue park, once you got away from wher the kids playgrounds were.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2020, 04:18 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

DOA at the Senate?
Obviously.
Old 5th December 2020, 02:57 AM   #14
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, never mind.
Old 5th December 2020, 04:13 AM   #15
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Obviously.
This is one time I say "good on em". Pot has multiple dangerous effects on the brain, especially in young people. Not only should it remain illegal, but enforcement efforts need to be stepped up.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 04:42 AM   #16
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
This is one time I say "good on em". Pot has multiple dangerous effects on the brain, especially in young people. Not only should it remain illegal, but enforcement efforts need to be stepped up.
So, you don't sell to kids. Restrictions are there for alcohol and cigarettes, the same mechanism can be used for pot.
Old 5th December 2020, 07:30 AM   #17
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Decriminalization is not legalization.

Too many young lives have been destroyed by criminal charges over small amounts of MJ. This needs to end.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 08:34 AM   #18
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Pot has multiple dangerous effects on the brain, especially in young people.
Multiple dangerous effects??

For example?

In young people, sure. Any mind altering substance is best avoided until after your brain has mostly finished growing. For healthy adults though marijuana is about as close to harmless as you can get.

It's impossible to die from overdose. As in actually physically impossible.

It can trigger latent mental health problems, or exacerbate existing ones. So it's not totally without risk, but the risks are *very* small for a healthy adult, certainly much smaller than other legal and regulated drugs.

If it's available legally then when you buy the stuff you know what's in what you are buying so it won't be mixed with anything like 'Spice' or other synthetic cannabinoids, which are likely more harmful.

The downsides of criminalisation of marijuana far, far outweigh any positive impacts of prohibtion.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 12:40 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
So, you don't sell to kids. Restrictions are there for alcohol and cigarettes, the same mechanism can be used for pot.
This,
Mary Jane should be legalized with the same restrictions as booze.
Less sure about this approach to the harder drugs ..Heroin,Crack etc..though I think addiction should be treated as a medical problem rather then a ciminal one. But the harder stuff shoud have much more severe restrictions then Pot.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th December 2020, 01:03 PM   #20
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Nah, harder stuff should be banned, but criminalization should apply only to ones producing and selling drug. Junkies should be detoxed, not in jail for merely buying and using it.
Old 5th December 2020, 01:05 PM   #21
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Howe Avenue park, once you got away from wher the kids playgrounds were.
I think I know where that is.
Old 5th December 2020, 02:19 PM   #22
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Nah, harder stuff should be banned, but criminalization should apply only to ones producing and selling drug. Junkies should be detoxed, not in jail for merely buying and using it.
My thoughts.

I say treat the harder drugs like huffing paint or drinking household items not meant to be drunk.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 03:09 PM   #23
TruthJonsen
Scholar

Quote:
Preliminary evidence suggests that medical cannabis could be an effective option for treating substance use disorders. As the only company conducting US federally funded scientific research using standardized products, Columbia Care is the clear leader to determine a role for medical cannabis in the opioid crisis.
https://www.healtheuropa.eu/using-me...sorders/94903/
TruthJonsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 05:11 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think I know where that is.
Its' not that far from CSUS, which explains a lot....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th December 2020, 05:16 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I absolutely despise the use of recreational drugs and yet think it's a major waste of time and resources to criminalize their use. I also think in a way criminalizing them makes them more attractive.
Old 5th December 2020, 05:21 PM   #26
3point14
Pi

You'd be in favour of crimilalising alcohol then?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 5th December 2020 at 05:23 PM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 05:22 PM   #27
3point14
Pi

I absolutely despise the use of recreational drugs and yet think it's a major waste of time and resources to criminalize their use. I also think in a way criminalizing them makes them more attractive.

And makes it much harder to keep them out of the hands of the underage.

And puts enormous sums of money into the hands of people who do bad things with it.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 05:42 PM   #28
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Some 35 plus years ago, that was my primary stomping ground.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:39 PM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"House passes Cannabis decriminalization."

So... nothing then? Like literally nothing? Like as close to nothing as something could happen and still be detectable by science levels of nothing?

So what it went from ~400 bills that the McConnel is gleefully sitting on with no chance of changing his mind and zero chance of anyone doing anything about to ~401 bills?

The House might has well of wished upon a star or thrown a coin in a wishing well.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 09:06 PM   #30
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Some 35 plus years ago, that was my primary stomping ground.
I was there for a few months a couple of years ago. Probably a lot has changed since you were there given the changes in the Seattle area during the same timeframe.
Old 5th December 2020, 09:11 PM   #31
Venom
Illuminator

Wait why do we have a Senate again, exactly?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 09:12 PM   #32
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"House passes Cannabis decriminalization."

So... nothing then? Like literally nothing? Like as close to nothing as something could happen and still be detectable by science levels of nothing?

So what it went from ~400 bills that the McConnel is gleefully sitting on with no chance of changing his mind and zero chance of anyone doing anything about to ~401 bills?

The House might has well of wished upon a star or thrown a coin in a wishing well.

I disagree. Canabis legalisation just passed in what, four elections this November? 69 percent of the public today thinks it should be legalized. You pass the bill to make the GOP defend being on the other side of something the country supports.
Old 5th December 2020, 09:28 PM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I disagree. Canabis legalisation just passed in what, four elections this November? 69 percent of the public today thinks it should be legalized. You pass the bill to make the GOP defend being on the other side of something the country supports.
Okay. And?

67% of Americans support equal pay for men and women. H.R.7, Paycheck Fairness Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since March of 2019.

83% of Americans support background checks for gun owners. H.R.8, Bipartisan Background Checks Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since February of 2019.

67% of Americans support a higher minimum wage. H.R.582, Raise the Wage Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since July of 2019.

74% of Americans support paths to citizenship. H.R.6, American Dream and Promise Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since July of 2019.

H.R.1, For the People Act, a sweeping reform of voting rights and security. Been sitting on his desk since January of 2019.

H.R.1585, Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act. Expired and wasn't renewed in 2018.

I could go on but my point has been made.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2020, 09:42 PM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay. And?

67% of Americans support equal pay for men and women. H.R.7, Paycheck Fairness Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since March of 2019.

83% of Americans support background checks for gun owners. H.R.8, Bipartisan Background Checks Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since February of 2019.

67% of Americans support a higher minimum wage. H.R.582, Raise the Wage Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since July of 2019.

74% of Americans support paths to citizenship. H.R.6, American Dream and Promise Act is sitting on McConnel's desk waiting for a vote. It's been there since July of 2019.

H.R.1, For the People Act, a sweeping reform of voting rights and security. Been sitting on his desk since January of 2019.

H.R.1585, Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act. Expired and wasn't renewed in 2018.

I could go on but my point has been made.
Your point is great. But I bet the degree which people want to to decriminalize pot is much more.
Old 5th December 2020, 09:49 PM   #35
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

I'd like to agree with this, and do with the basic idea of putting them on the record. Then I remember their adamant opposition to the ACA, and how, when there was public support for things in it like protection for pre-existing conditions, the GOP simply changed the record, and began claiming that only they could provide that protection- all while they were having vote after vote to overturn the law that already provided it, and with nothing tangible to replace it with.

The only thing the GOP needs to do defend being on the wrong side of something the country supports is to claim, when necessary, that they actually always supported it, and in fact, gosh, only they can make it so anyway.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2020, 02:58 AM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Your point is great. But I bet the degree which people want to to decriminalize pot is much more.
A majority of people may support it but for how many is it a litmus test issue? The needle won't move on this in the Senate until it becomes a "Go home issue" for Senators. I would try to tie legalization to ending mass incarceration. That makes it a go home issue for Senators in Texas, Georgia, Pennsylvania and a few other states with Republican senators but large Democrat leaning urban areas.
Old 6th December 2020, 04:47 AM   #37
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
A majority of people may support it but for how many is it a litmus test issue? The needle won't move on this in the Senate until it becomes a "Go home issue" for Senators. I would try to tie legalization to ending mass incarceration. That makes it a go home issue for Senators in Texas, Georgia, Pennsylvania and a few other states with Republican senators but large Democrat leaning urban areas.
There's also the factor of sales tax revenue their state could be making.
They could be bringing in money from it instead of spending money on enforcement and incarceration.
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2020, 07:05 AM   #38
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Why?
- Are the prisons not full enough for you?
- Is there not enough demand for more police officers, courts and prisons for you?
- Is organized crime not profitable enough for you?
- Are too many people living normal productive lives when with a little more effort, we could destroy them instead?
Old 6th December 2020, 07:57 AM   #39
Chanakya

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Why?
- Are the prisons not full enough for you?
- Is there not enough demand for more police officers, courts and prisons for you?
- Is organized crime not profitable enough for you?
- Are too many people living normal productive lives when with a little more effort, we could destroy them instead?

Indeed.

And, most importantly, especially hereabouts on this skeptics site: I think it is pretty widely accepted (although TBF I don't have any research quotes handy) that the ganja is fairly innocuous. Far less so than alcohol, for instance. So that it makes no sense at all to subject this particular substance to all kinds of laws and rules and whatnot (unless we're also willing to do the same for alcohol and coffee!). I mean, apart from anything and everything else, this seems to be blatant, and entirely unreasonable, special pleading.

I myself am all for not just decriminalization but for making marijuana entirely freely available.

-------

eta:
Just started this thread, to actually examine the proposition that I'm kind of taking for granted here, that marijuana is fairly harmless, certainly less harmful than alcohol.

Last edited by Chanakya; 6th December 2020 at 08:06 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2020, 10:50 AM   #40
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Multiple dangerous effects??

For example?

In young people, sure. Any mind altering substance is best avoided until after your brain has mostly finished growing. For healthy adults though marijuana is about as close to harmless as you can get.

It's impossible to die from overdose. As in actually physically impossible.

It can trigger latent mental health problems, or exacerbate existing ones. So it's not totally without risk, but the risks are *very* small for a healthy adult, certainly much smaller than other legal and regulated drugs.

If it's available legally then when you buy the stuff you know what's in what you are buying so it won't be mixed with anything like 'Spice' or other synthetic cannabinoids, which are likely more harmful.

The downsides of criminalisation of marijuana far, far outweigh any positive impacts of prohibtion.
I use to feel the way you do CP. But criminalization has been a total and abject failure. It hasn't kept marijuana out of the hands of children. It has however resulted in millions of people being incarcerated and having criminal records. Enforcement is expensive. Prison cells, police and legal costs are enormous.

Alcohol is ten times more dangerous than cannabis and yet you can buy it everywhere. Should we make it illegal?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics