IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 25th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #1681
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Some Trumptards are saying only people who have been President have had their pictures on US currency, and that should continue.

Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton say hi....
Ask any ten at random if Benjamin Franklin's presidency was before or after Hamilton's. I'd say at least seven will give you a staight answer.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 05:04 PM   #1682
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Some Trumptards are saying only people who have been President have had their pictures on US currency, and that should continue.

Benjamin Franklin and Alexander Hamilton say hi....

We've also put Sacagawea on the dollar, Indian head pennies. Buffalo nickels, Mercury on the dimes.

They probably never even thought about this until now.
Old 25th January 2021, 05:08 PM   #1683
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Susan B. Anthony?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 05:22 PM   #1684
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Susan B. Anthony?
Another non POTUS .
Old 25th January 2021, 07:28 PM   #1686
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Aw, c'mon, the issue isn't "Couldn't somebody open the door?," the issue is "Who was supposed to open the door?" This was a high-level protocol matter. The new President should have been welcomed by the highest ranking person on the White House staff. But he had just been fired, and whoever was left had to figure out what to do. It doesn't matter that the Bidens had to wait a few seconds; what matters is Trump's bottomless pettiness, one last slight to somebody he thinks shouldn't have won.
No, the issue was they had to wait all of one minute! At least that was my issue, my only issue, the story exaggerated the harm.

It might be your issue that Trump is an ass. Mine was with how the story was reported.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th January 2021 at 07:29 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 07:44 PM   #1687
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Woolgatherer View Post
(looks quickly in wallet...) Oh yeah, I never bothered to look at the face before.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 08:56 PM   #1688
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Salmon B. Chase. What were his parents thinking?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 09:07 PM   #1689
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They never thought they'd roe the day they named him that.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:11 PM   #1690
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I bet he got socked in the eye a lot in school.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 10:37 PM   #1691
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
That their son will grow up to be quite the catch.
Old 26th January 2021, 12:15 AM   #1692
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I fell for those hook, line, and sinker, didn't I?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:55 AM   #1693
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
It's as if you were fishing for the puns.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:02 AM   #1694
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It's as if you were fishing for the puns.
A gill can't help herself.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:43 AM   #1695
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Funny names always spawn jokes like these, but it is time to scale back and return to the topic.

Wait, what !?
There will be no emoluments lawsuits or charges?

President Narcissist McSociopath is going to get away with it?

Last edited by Ladewig; 26th January 2021 at 01:54 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 03:14 AM   #1696
SteveAitch
Thinker

Yes, this is no plaice for that sort of thing.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:20 AM   #1697
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
There will be no emoluments lawsuits or charges?
Legal eagle explains why.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by zooterkin; 28th January 2021 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Fixing yt tags
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 04:22 AM   #1698
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Trump has ridden the tiger of resentment, and raked it with his spurs. Nothing generates resentment more than a sense of betrayal. That tiger's gonna really mess him up.
Quote:
The Proles only follow a leader who will keep them well feted and fed,
With trial and war for your circus, you'd better not run out of bread!
The curs that have fawned at your fingers will tear out your throat if you drop.
Quote:
The fields you have sown with betrayal, and watered with innocent's tears
That falsehood has fenced and defended, by the ruin of lives and careers
Are choked with the fruits of your labors. How will you harvest your crop?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:44 AM   #1699
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Apparently Senator Pat Leahy will preside over the trial in the Senate
If only he'd quote his character from the Dark Knight during the trial: "We’re not intimidated by thugs"
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 06:05 AM   #1700
Woolgatherer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

We've also put Sacagawea on the dollar, Indian head pennies. Buffalo nickels, Mercury on the dimes.

They probably never even thought about this until now.
I must be blind to not see this.Ninja'd
Woolgatherer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 06:19 AM   #1701
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but those are coins, they don't count.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:05 AM   #1702
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So it looks like it won't be going away any time soon...

Former President Donald Trump announced Monday the official opening of the "Office of the Former President" in Palm Beach County, Florida...The office will be responsible for managing President Trump's correspondence, public statements, appearances and official activities to advance the interests of the United States and to carry on the agenda of the Trump administration through advocacy, organizing and public activism," the office said in a statement.

And he's already starting to engage in political activity...

Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders celebrated an endorsement from her former boss as she begins a campaign for Arkansas governor.

You would hope that her reputation for dishonesty when she was press secretary would be a problem for Sanders. But, it is Arkansas (one of more backwards states), and since the incumbent governor is term-limited, it looks like there may be a clown-car primary (which might allow her some success).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:14 AM   #1703
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So the “Office of the former President” is the vehicle for him to raise donations, the DA in Florida might as well start running up the charge sheet for misuse of funds....
Old 26th January 2021, 08:16 AM   #1704
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
So the “Office of the former President” is the vehicle for him to raise donations, the DA in Florida might as well start running up the charge sheet for misuse of funds....
Is the AG as much of a Trumper as the Governor though?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:18 AM   #1705
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Is the AG as much of a Trumper as the Governor though?
Sadly, yep. Perhaps even more so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley...ntial_election
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:28 AM   #1706
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Well, either he's finally admitted he lost, or nobody's explained to him what 'former' means.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:59 AM   #1707
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
He'll probably have some Federal Election Commission (FEC) issues as well. The Hatch Act applies to Offices of the Former President. Use of the office for partisan purposes is forbidden and unlike when he was president, there are enforcement mechanisms for how he uses those funds.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 09:37 AM   #1708
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump announced Monday the official opening of the "Office of the Former President"
I'm sure all the Trumpers who were complaining just last month that there was "no such office as President-Elect" will be quick to condemn Trump for making up a new office.

Any day now....
Old 26th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #1709
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm sure all the Trumpers who were complaining just last month that there was "no such office as President-Elect" will be quick to condemn Trump for making up a new office.

Any day now....
It isn't made up. The Office of the Former President is supported by the U.S. General Services Administration. Other former Presidents had (and I assume still have) such offices.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:46 AM   #1710
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He'll probably have some Federal Election Commission (FEC) issues as well. The Hatch Act applies to Offices of the Former President. Use of the office for partisan purposes is forbidden and unlike when he was president, there are enforcement mechanisms for how he uses those funds.
Cue the announcement of "I'm just trying to save America, look what those meanies wont' let me do and say!" amid calls to remove any such restrictions without reflection on why they existed in the first place.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:20 AM   #1711
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Obama should just move in and take over Trump's "Office of the Former President".
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:26 AM   #1712
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Donny will wonder what openings on ships have to do with him grifting money. Again.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:49 AM   #1713
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Well, either he's finally admitted he lost, or nobody's explained to him what 'former' means.

Dave
I suspect we may start seeing tweets from this office....
Old 26th January 2021, 12:10 PM   #1714
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Not as bad as a former customer of mine whose name was Ben Dover.
Old 26th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #1715
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Legal eagle explains why.

[youtube]CsSLG6q9FMw[/youtube]
The code is yt not youtube.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:12 PM   #1716
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not sure where to put this new rap song I heard on MSNBC but I think this is as good a place as any. Marlon Craft- State of the Union- NSFW It's about the white supremacy problem which Trump amplified.

I AGREE

"We evaded Armageddon ...

If a leader more savvy and less sociopathic ...

74 million proved if the right rhetoric used we could end up on the wrong side in WW2 ..."

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th January 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 26th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #1717
Tero
Master Poster

Trump will be 75 this year. In 2024 if he were running, he would be quite old. Though we have a lot of old senators, still, it's not as big a job.

I got the impression republicans were unwilling to even discuss impeachment, mainly to keep the trumpster voters for themselves. Now I'm thinking half the GOP still wants him to run in 2024. They have a vacuum if he is gone. No living politician is going to have the same white working class support. even if it was fake.

(Late 70s is quite old to run, and it was for Biden. But he already ran so it is now done. I kind of doubt he wants to run in 2024)

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Tero; 26th January 2021 at 08:01 PM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 08:17 PM   #1718
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Maybe they know that Trump's all about fanatical revenge now and those GOP legislators don't want to get on the enemies list.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:11 PM   #1719
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
I’m not sure I agree.

He will never admit he lost.
He’s willing to say former because the election was stolen and Usurper Biden (with the help of that traitorous Pence) has been installed by TPTB.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:14 PM   #1720
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe they know that Trump's all about fanatical revenge now and those GOP legislators don't want to get on the enemies list.
Well, there was speculation that some who voted against the electoral count were afraid for themselves and families, and crazy as that ought to be, crazy trumps sane these days.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics