IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Closed Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 01:40 PM   #1601
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The real question is what fitness standard they'll be expected to meet.
Lol, I hadn't even made it that far. I hadn't made it beyond thinking that they're going to need to broaden the size selection for uniforms and shoes.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #1602
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Reason will prevail, like in Idaho where Republicans can require insufficiently feminine girls to have their genitals examined.

Forcing girls to submit to genital examinations, anything to keep them safe!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnsta...h=5731bf007a12

Transphobes are perverts.
I'm going to counter that and say that a disproportionate number of perverts are males.

That seems to hold true regardless of which gender they identify as.
Old 25th January 2021, 02:41 PM   #1603
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I like to think that as human beings, men and women are more the same than they are different, and that perverts are equally represented between the genders. The impression that most perverts are men is probably more a combination of selection bias in reporting and confirmation bias in reading, than it is a real variance between the genders.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #1604
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I like to think that as human beings, men and women are more the same than they are different, and that perverts are equally represented between the genders. The impression that most perverts are men is probably more a combination of selection bias in reporting and confirmation bias in reading, than it is a real variance between the genders.
I also suspect it is the rather undefined nature of the word "pervert".

These days, it's hardly ever used for anything except non-consensual activity. Homosexuality and sadomasochism used to be "perverted". Now one of them is normal and one of them is "kinky", which is generally viewed somewhat positively now.

"Pervert" is generally reserved for voyeurism, exhibitionism (without consent), and any variety of nonconsensual physical contact. And females are almost never cited for any of those offenses.

And pedophiles of course. Everyone agrees they're perverts.

ETA: I started to describe what I meant, but I decided I couldn't even describe it without sounding like a pervert.
Old 25th January 2021, 03:02 PM   #1605
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Whenever I see a story about a schoolteacher abusing their position of power and trust to molest a minor child, it always seems to be a woman female schoolteacher.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 03:10 PM   #1606
Emily's Cat

Might depend on how you define pervert.

Voyeurism, flashing, sneaking into locker rooms / bathrooms / dormitories to get a look at naked females, stalking, child molestation, sexual assault, and paraphilias are all materially more common among males than among females. Some of them by orders of magnitude.
Old 25th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #1607
Emily's Cat

Whenever I see a story about a schoolteacher abusing their position of power and trust to molest a minor child, it always seems to be a woman female schoolteacher.
They get more media attention because they're unusual. They're also often reported differently - even your framing is different than I suspect it would be if it were a male teacher and a minor child. If the perpetrator is female, it's "abusing position", whereas if the perpetrator is male, it's "statutory rape" or "predatory".

That kind of consensual but highly inequitable situation occurs among both sexes. I don't know if it happens more with one than the other though. Personally, I think it should be treated the same regardless of the sex of the perpetrator. An adult female teacher getting it on with a minor student is just as much of a predator engaging in statutory rape as a male would be.
Old 25th January 2021, 05:08 PM   #1608
Sherkeu
Master Poster

This sort of thing would likely deserve its own thread but it is sooooooo not true.

You can find the fringe at the end of the distribution but for the most part, all mammals have males as aggressors and females as receptive (or not, and are unwilling but get it anyway). Humans are no different- just more civilized now.

Males are definitely more sexually perverted in their thinking. Much more visually oriented and aggressive. Higher libido. It's not even something that people really argue against, is it? It also doesn't need to be 'wrong' when at a healthy level and not violating women. I may know a female more perverted than you are (and I do!), but that doenst make the genders equal in that regard. It is very lopsided.

Even looking at transgenders, you get a big difference in the arousal of the MtF vs FtM when considering their transitions.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2021, 09:50 PM   #1609
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Males are definitely more sexually perverted in their thinking.
I think that’s true, sexual perversion is predominately male. But on the flip side, there are other pathologies that males are less prone to than females. On the extreme end, Munchausen by proxy is overwhelmingly female.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:26 AM   #1610
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I think that’s true, sexual perversion is predominately male. But on the flip side, there are other pathologies that males are less prone to than females. On the extreme end, Munchausen by proxy is overwhelmingly female.
So true. I thought of mentioning that a few weeks ago when it seemed that males here were thinking the women posters were labeling all males as predators. The predominance of certain crimes doesn't broad brush individuals of an entire gender (or biological sex if you will).
It is what it is.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 26th January 2021 at 12:27 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 12:52 AM   #1611
Aber
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Conversely, what should the clinic tell a 22-year-old who comes back to them accusing them of having "mis-sold" him/her transitioning medication and therapy when he/she was 15?
As you should be aware, this has gone through the courts.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 05:28 AM   #1612
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
As you should be aware, this has gone through the courts.

Yes, I am aware. I was illustrating how, from a clinic's ex ante position for any given patient, it could potentially be held liable at some point in the future whether it does intervene or it doesn't intervene. I was hoping that was clear.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 06:53 AM   #1613
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

No one said "females are better and saner than males," they said females are less prone to the specific perversions of peeping and flashing nonconsenting people. Which they are. They are horrible in countless other ways. Why does this always need to be said NOT ALL MEN/WOMEN/WHATEVER.
Old 26th January 2021, 07:44 AM   #1614
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
No one said "females are better and saner than males," they said females are less prone to the specific perversions of peeping and flashing nonconsenting people. Which they are. They are horrible in countless other ways.
That matches what I said.

Quote:
Why does this always need to be said NOT ALL MEN/WOMEN/WHATEVER.
I wrote what I wrote because it was relevant to previous posts. In a sense, I was reconciling Sherkeu's statement that men are more prone to sexual perversion with theprestige's statement that "men and women are more the same than they are different". Dysfunction all around, just variations in manifestation.

But is it really a wonder why a lot of people don't feel comfortable with singling out one group for attack?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 09:55 AM   #1615
Aber
Graduate Poster

Yes, I am aware. I was illustrating how, from a clinic's ex ante position for any given patient, it could potentially be held liable at some point in the future whether it does intervene or it doesn't intervene. I was hoping that was clear.
A fine hypothetical.

Except that the High Court judgement showed that the clinic have not been so balanced in the past.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 10:18 AM   #1616
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

That matches what I said.

I wrote what I wrote because it was relevant to previous posts. In a sense, I was reconciling Sherkeu's statement that men are more prone to sexual perversion with theprestige's statement that "men and women are more the same than they are different". Dysfunction all around, just variations in manifestation.

But is it really a wonder why a lot of people don't feel comfortable with singling out one group for attack?
I just think that's largely become one of the major problems with the whole thread. For example, someone says, "Self-ID laws could allow perverts with ill intentions into private spaces" and others hear, "Trans people are likely to be perverts!" Someone says, "Getting rid of sex-segregated spaces could put women at risk from malicious male actors," and someone else hears, "Men are bad and dangerous and just the presence of their penises hurts poor little women."

"Assuming a broad brush" might be a good term for it, maybe? Sorry to nip your head off. I've got a weird-feeling spot in my throat and I've been stressing all morning that it's corona.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:36 AM   #1617
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"I'm female, and I think there's a legitimate biological justification for me to be afraid of males in some situations. No offense."

"I'm male, and... it's kinda true. None taken."

"I'm not male, so this doesn't apply to me."

"How are you not male in this context?"

"Shut up."
Old 26th January 2021, 12:18 PM   #1618
Emily's Cat

I don't think it's as equivalent as you've presented it.

If the DO intervene, then they do actual harm to their patient, in error. At the very least, it's medical malpractice. And it has life-long impacts to the patient who has been irreversible harmed by a lackadaisical approach to treatment.

If the DO NOT intervene, your fall back is that the child might commit suicide? In what way is the gender clinic directly liable for that suicide? Suicidality is a mental health issue, that should be addressed by an appropriate clinician.

Ascribing liability for the suicide to the gender clinic for NOT giving the child transition assistance when it is not likely to be appropriate is kind of silly. You could just as easily argue that if a parent denies their child extra cake for desert, and that child then commits suicide, the parents are liable for the suicide because they didn't give the kid extra cake. It creates a situation in which all people must always give any child anything they want for fear of them committing suicide. It's absurd.
Old 26th January 2021, 12:22 PM   #1619
Emily's Cat

It's not a wonder at all. What is a wonder to me is the volume of people on this site who feel justified if they're the ones doing the attacking because it is upheld by their beliefs and/or feelings.

Not you - this is a reference to some of the cross-topic intersection with the CHUD thread.
Old 26th January 2021, 12:23 PM   #1620
Emily's Cat

"I'm female, and I think there's a legitimate biological justification for me to be afraid of males in some situations. No offense."

"Shut up."
I do so enjoy your summaries of the discussion sometimes
Old 26th January 2021, 02:57 PM   #1621
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

"Shut up."

Exactly.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:00 PM   #1622
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I thought that was another Sokol until I saw the word "Canada". Now I'm genuinely uncertain.
Speaking of Sokal, he added his name to a letter in defending academic freedom against the attempt to smear Kathleen Stock.

He also published this recently on how postmodernism has 'weakened our defences against deranged fantasies'.

There was a recent replication of the Sokal hoax against gender studies: 'The conceptual penis as a social construct'.

Some quotes:

'The androcentric scientific and meta-scientific evidence that the penis is the male reproductive organ is considered overwhelming and largely uncontroversial'.

'We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.'

I did wonder if the transability article I linked to was a hoax. However, it appears the author is an associate professor and is transgender. 'He considers his work to be intersectional, involving queer, trans, feminist and gender studies, as well as sociology of the body, health, social movements, and of critical suicidology.'
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #1623
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I just think that's largely become one of the major problems with the whole thread. For example, someone says, "Self-ID laws could allow perverts with ill intentions into private spaces" and others hear, "Trans people are likely to be perverts!" Someone says, "Getting rid of sex-segregated spaces could put women at risk from malicious male actors," and someone else hears, "Men are bad and dangerous and just the presence of their penises hurts poor little women."

"Assuming a broad brush" might be a good term for it, maybe? Sorry to nip your head off. I've got a weird-feeling spot in my throat and I've been stressing all morning that it's corona.

Yes, but a little while ago in these threads I argued that this was, in principle, analogous to this (as might have been said in '50s Southern USA):

"Allowing black people to share bus seats with white people could allow male black perverts with ill intentions to sit right up next to my (white) wife or teenage daughter and commit acts of sexual deviancy"

I don't think that anyone is not aware that there's a good case to be made that females in spaces such as women's changing rooms might be at increased risk of harrassment or sex crimes from cismen choosing to masquerade as transwomen.

But....

If transgender people are to be afforded equal rights and protection against discrimination, then what are we to do with regard to matters such as access for transwomen to changing areas in sports centres.

The possibilities are (I think) as follows (including extremes, in order to be exhaustive)*:

1) Transwomen are not allowed to use sports centres.

2) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must arrive already wearing sports kit/swimming costume (under clothes), and must go home to shower or change afterwards.

3) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must use men's changing rooms.

4) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must use disabled changing rooms.

5) Transwomen can use sports centres, and can use women's changing rooms, but only upon provision of some sort of documentary proof of their transgender identity.

6) Transwomen can use sports centres, and can use women's changing rooms without being required to show documentary proof of their transgender identity.

Now, I'd hope anyone could agree that options (1)-(4) are non-starters. So we're left with (5) or (6). Is (5) actually workable in practice? I suspect not**. And if that's the case, then all we have is (6).

However, I'd suggest that if (6) is indeed implemented as part of future transgender recognition legislation and guidance, two things are likely to happen: firstly, there should be a required standard of safety provisioning within all women's changing areas - perhaps including multiple panic/assistance buttons, and even perhaps constant CCTV monitoring (which would/could only ever be accessed and viewed if a criminal/deviant act was reported, but whose presence would be clearly posted in order to act as a deterrent); and secondly, there should be a close monitoring of just how many actual acts of deviancy or sex crimes were taking place under a self-ID-transwoman regime - and if acts of this nature were seen to be becoming a genuine safety issue to females, it might then become necessary to revise or even reverse certain parts of legislation accordingly.

* I'm discounting options which require either a) the allocation of a new, separate changing facility for transwomen, or b) the conversion of all changing/showering facilities to individual lockable changing cubicles and shower cubicles, on the grounds that these would either be too costly or too impractical to implement for the majority of sports centres etc currently using men's/women's changing areas.

** Though of course I'd be keen to hear suggestions as to how & why this could be made to work in practice.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 03:24 PM   #1624
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

"Shut up."

Transwomen are male though.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:26 PM   #1625
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
It's not a wonder at all. What is a wonder to me is the volume of people on this site who feel justified if they're the ones doing the attacking because it is upheld by their beliefs and/or feelings.

Not you - this is a reference to some of the cross-topic intersection with the CHUD thread.

Uhm... everyone on every side of every argument feels justified doing the attacking because it is upheld by their beliefs and/or feelings.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #1626
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I don't think it's as equivalent as you've presented it.

If the DO intervene, then they do actual harm to their patient, in error. At the very least, it's medical malpractice. And it has life-long impacts to the patient who has been irreversible harmed by a lackadaisical approach to treatment.

If the DO NOT intervene, your fall back is that the child might commit suicide? In what way is the gender clinic directly liable for that suicide? Suicidality is a mental health issue, that should be addressed by an appropriate clinician.

Ascribing liability for the suicide to the gender clinic for NOT giving the child transition assistance when it is not likely to be appropriate is kind of silly. You could just as easily argue that if a parent denies their child extra cake for desert, and that child then commits suicide, the parents are liable for the suicide because they didn't give the kid extra cake. It creates a situation in which all people must always give any child anything they want for fear of them committing suicide. It's absurd.

Oh, well it's my belief that if (for example) a 15-year-old boy committed suicide, and left a note saying that he was desperate to transition to a woman but that his wish had repeatedly been rebuffed by the medical specialists in the field (and that he had no desire to live any longer as a result)... and subsequent investigation of medical files essentially confirmed this as accurate.... then the medical authorities absolutely would find themselves under scrutiny. But you think otherwise.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #1627
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Not according to Boudicca.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #1628
d4m10n
Philosopher

Now, I'd hope anyone could agree that options (1)-(4) are non-starters.
I use the private lockable changing room at my local gym. Does that count as option #4?

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th January 2021 at 04:09 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #1629
Sherkeu
Master Poster

However, I'd suggest that if (6) is indeed implemented as part of future transgender recognition legislation and guidance, two things are likely to happen: firstly, there should be a required standard of safety provisioning within all women's changing areas - perhaps including multiple panic/assistance buttons, and even perhaps constant CCTV monitoring (which would/could only ever be accessed and viewed if a criminal/deviant act was reported, but whose presence would be clearly posted in order to act as a deterrent); and secondly, there should be a close monitoring of just how many actual acts of deviancy or sex crimes were taking place under a self-ID-transwoman regime - and if acts of this nature were seen to be becoming a genuine safety issue to females, it might then become necessary to revise or even reverse certain parts of legislation accordingly.

* I'm discounting options which require either a) the allocation of a new, separate changing facility for transwomen, or b) the conversion of all changing/showering facilities to individual lockable changing cubicles and shower cubicles, on the grounds that these would either be too costly or too impractical to implement for the majority of sports centres etc currently using men's/women's changing areas.

** Though of course I'd be keen to hear suggestions as to how & why this could be made to work in practice.
- If my daughter had to shower with a panic button and cctv after water polo practice, I'd just take her home.
- And you cannot have kids showering in a locked stall. It is not safe either unless the parent gets inside with them.
- there are curtains on showers and changing stalls in our facility but some of the girls just change right by the lockers so they don't have to move all their stuff. Imagine telling them they need to go to curtained areas because of possible peepers who are legally allowed to enter.

Just make a few separate family stalls. This is a good place for dad's with little girls to go. That's why family restrooms are available so the kid can get a diaper change without going to the Men's room. Same goes for any opposite sex pairs where one needs assistance.

But the trans women won't like that idea because it makes them separated and unacknowledged as 'real women'..
Old 26th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #1630
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I use the private lockable changing room at my local gym. Does that count as option #4?

Maybe read my first asterisk-ed footnote?

The vast majority of sportscentres/gyms/public baths in current operation a) use the system of separate men's/women's changing areas (with communal changing and showering areas for each); and b) would find it either extremely costly or practically impossible (or both) to switch to an individual-cubicle model.

One of the gyms I use has a single, very large changing area with dozens of lockable changing cubicles (ranging in size from single-person to families of 6 or so people), banks of lockers for clothes/valuables storage, and lockable shower cubicles. Its sister gym in the next town (a gym of similar overall size and scope) has men's/women's changing rooms, with communal changing and showering. The latter simply would not be able to convert to the model of the former without requiring the building of additional purpose-built changing-room space under the cubicle model.
Old 26th January 2021, 03:49 PM   #1631
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
- If my daughter had to shower with a panic button and cctv after water polo practice, I'd just take her home.
- And you cannot have kids showering in a locked stall. It is not safe either unless the parent gets inside with them.
- there are curtains on showers and changing stalls in our facility but some of the girls just change right by the lockers so they don't have to move all their stuff. Imagine telling them they need to go to curtained areas because of possible peepers who are legally allowed to enter.

Just make a few separate family stalls. This is a good place for dad's with little girls to go. That's why family restrooms are available so the kid can get a diaper change without going to the Men's room. Same goes for any opposite sex pairs where one needs assistance.

But the trans women won't like that idea because it makes them separated and unacknowledged as 'real women'..

So I'm guessing you'd also be actively against, for example, giving your daughter a rape alarm once she reached the age of around 15-16, as a precaution for when she was out at night? You'd just keep her at home rather than do that?
Old 26th January 2021, 03:55 PM   #1632
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but a little while ago in these threads I argued that this was, in principle, analogous to this (as might have been said in '50s Southern USA):

"Allowing black people to share bus seats with white people could allow male black perverts with ill intentions to sit right up next to my (white) wife or teenage daughter and commit acts of sexual deviancy"

I don't think that anyone is not aware that there's a good case to be made that females in spaces such as women's changing rooms might be at increased risk of harrassment or sex crimes from cismen choosing to masquerade as transwomen.

But....

If transgender people are to be afforded equal rights and protection against discrimination, then what are we to do with regard to matters such as access for transwomen to changing areas in sports centres.

The possibilities are (I think) as follows (including extremes, in order to be exhaustive)*:

1) Transwomen are not allowed to use sports centres.

2) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must arrive already wearing sports kit/swimming costume (under clothes), and must go home to shower or change afterwards.

3) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must use men's changing rooms.

4) Transwomen can use sports centres, but must use disabled changing rooms.

5) Transwomen can use sports centres, and can use women's changing rooms, but only upon provision of some sort of documentary proof of their transgender identity.

6) Transwomen can use sports centres, and can use women's changing rooms without being required to show documentary proof of their transgender identity.

Now, I'd hope anyone could agree that options (1)-(4) are non-starters.
Why is [ETA: 3, not 4] 4 a non-starter 3 a non-starter? This is my most serious question about all of this. As best I can figure, this question and its answer gets right to the heart of the problem.

Last edited by theprestige; 26th January 2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:00 PM   #1633
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Then why is it so important that everybody treat them as women, and society accommodate them as women?

What does treating them like women even mean? As far as I can tell, all it means in practical terms is, "gets to use the female locker room". Which seems fruitless. Using the female locker room is not an entitlement males enjoy. If that's all that being a woman means, then the problem is easily solved: Transwomen are males and get to enjoy all the privileges that males are entitled to.

To which males are entitled.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:00 PM   #1634
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Not according to Boudicca.

Boudicca is entitled to her own opinions and definitions. But hers are not the definitions used throughout academic, medical and legal* discussions wrt gender identity. The accepted definitions of terms are these:

Biological sex (immutable, in almost all cases): male or female.

Gender (not fixed): man or woman - or anywhere on the spectrum between the two.

So therefore, for example, a transwoman is (a) male, and a transman is (a) female.

I do hope that those on one side of this debate are not somehow seeking to focus one of the points of their attack upon one term which one contributor to the thread used (IIRC once only), rather than the standard definition of terms in the context of transgender identity.

* And just to counter any claims along the lines of "but England&Wales law says woman/female and man/male can both be used interchangeably", that's only in one specific area of the legislation, in respect of transgender abuse (so that therefore it allows for the prosecution of someone who abuses a transwoman by using the word "male", provided that the court can establish that the word "male" was used here as a term of abuse, rather than as a biological statement of fact).
Old 26th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #1635
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, well it's my belief that if (for example) a 15-year-old boy committed suicide, and left a note saying that he was desperate to transition to a woman but that his wish had repeatedly been rebuffed by the medical specialists in the field (and that he had no desire to live any longer as a result)... and subsequent investigation of medical files essentially confirmed this as accurate.... then the medical authorities absolutely would find themselves under scrutiny. But you think otherwise.
What other way would it be reasonable to think?

You're begging the question that medical transitioning is right and that authorities in the field of medicine are wrong to deny it upon request.

If someone wants medical support for a program of self harm that they have drawn up for themselves, the doctors have no liability for denying their support for such a program. Quite the opposite.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:06 PM   #1636
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Then why is it so important that everybody treat them as women, and society accommodate them as women?

What does treating them like women even mean? As far as I can tell, all it means in practical terms is, "gets to use the female locker room". Which seems fruitless. Using the female locker room is not an entitlement males enjoy. If that's all that being a woman means, then the problem is easily solved: Transwomen are males and get to enjoy all the privileges that males are entitled to.

To which males are entitled.

Well, you're either asking this as a deliberate attempt to masquerade as some sort of ingénue.... or you're asking this sincerely owing to a genuine ignorance of the subject.

Either way, the best (most) I can do is point you towards the wealth of academic, medical and legislative material which explains it far more eloquently, and far more exhaustively, than I could ever do. Let me know if you'd like some links.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #1637
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

What other way would it be reasonable to think?

You're begging the question that medical transitioning is right and that authorities in the field of medicine are wrong to deny it upon request.

If someone wants medical support for a program of self harm that they have drawn up for themselves, the doctors have no liability for denying their support for such a program. Quite the opposite.

No. I'm not saying that the medical services in that example would necessarily be found at fault (that's your *interesting* inference, not mine). What I'm saying is that they would without doubt face questions as to whether they'd acted appropriately or not. Hope this helps.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #1638
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you're either asking this as a deliberate attempt to masquerade as some sort of ingénue.... or you're asking this sincerely owing to a genuine ignorance of the subject.

Either way, the best (most) I can do is point you towards the wealth of academic, medical and legislative material which explains it far more eloquently, and far more exhaustively, than I could ever do. Let me know if you'd like some links.
I'd like to start with your summary in your own words, if you don't mind. If you want to cite some references that support your position, that's fine too, as long as they're in support of and not in place of.
Old 26th January 2021, 04:12 PM   #1639
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Why is 4 a non-starter? This is my most serious question about all of this. As best I can figure, this question and its answer gets right to the heart of the problem.

Do you think transwomen are disabled?

Do you think that genuine disabled people should be entitled to the expectation of sharing their changing facilities with others who are going to have their own personal experience and understanding of the particular needs of disabled people when changing etc (which is precisely why there are separate disabled changing rooms in the first place...), rather than with able-bodied people who are transgender?
Old 26th January 2021, 04:13 PM   #1640
Sherkeu
Master Poster

So I'm guessing you'd also be actively against, for example, giving your daughter a rape alarm once she reached the age of around 15-16, as a precaution for when she was out at night? You'd just keep her at home rather than do that?
A remote panic device is ok, I suppose. It can also be misused to her detriment though.

No woman (or parent of a young girl) wants a camera in a changing space. I thought that might be a bit obvious but maybe not.

The installation of security devices makes me think "danger!". If I am in a neighborhood where all the homes have bars on the windows, then I'm likely somewhere with high crime. It sends a message that things are NOT safe there that money would be spent on such things. Yes, I'd just take her home then.

Might be easier just to send a message to parents to stay with their kids and wait inside or just outside the 'girls' area. (depending on which parent). I must say that I was one of the only parents to actually do that but my kid was the youngest one (she is very tall and plays with the teens)

Also, they could have hours just for adults. Depends on how many pools they have and the difficulty of scheduling.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 26th January 2021 at 04:18 PM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events