ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artificial intelligence , consciousness , Edward Witten , Max Tegmark

Old 18th October 2017, 04:21 AM   #721
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post

17 October 2017: An ignorant start with Bessel functions involved with solutions of systems with cylindrical symmetry.

17 October 2017: A lie that I maintain that transverse field ising symmetry groups are "impossible" (My post was about the fundamental physics that the Standard Model has symmetry groups.)

17 October 2017: Ignorantly chucks in an irrelevant "(super-)Hamiltonian" from reference [15] - a paper on classical mechanics.

We have yet another post with the Ising gibberish in an image and a link to:
17 October 2017: A lie that I maintain that transverse field ising symmetry groups are "impossible" (My post was about the fundamental physics that the Standard Model has symmetry groups.)[/quote]

Well noted and reported!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:22 AM   #722
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Apart from your grammar notation, of which others alike have just been painstakingly removed by mods, do you have anything to contribute w.r.t. to the OP?
We have. We have noted errors, funny claims and other related pointlessness.

Our job is pretty much covered!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 05:07 AM   #723
Argumemnon
World Maker

What are "bionary" circuits?
Nice dodge.

You're in no position to call others on their mangling of English.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 12:48 PM   #724
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Evidently, my "issue" is that I understand the English language better than you do.
Don't we all!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 18th October 2017, 12:58 PM   #725
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Just in case: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~bengioy..._en/index.html

Wash this space!

Old 18th October 2017, 01:07 PM   #726
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down A fantasy about a Wikipedia article that says nothing about reducibility

So, although the Wikipedia snippet does not contain the word "reducible", its content may be used to express Mordred's presentation.
19 October 2017: A fantasy about a Wikipedia article that says nothing about the reducibility of orthogonal groups.

There is no "Mordred's presentation". There is an unsupported assertion in 1 sentence written in a PM from Mordred. That sentence was "Yes it is very viable, any SO(n) group is reducible to SU(n) most commonly SU(2)"'. The unsupported assertion seems unrelated to your "traverse field super Hamiltonian" question.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:37 PM   #727
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Thinks that ArXiv uploads need some kind of permission!

Irrelevant. ...This is typically the quality of work permitted on ArXiv
Relevant to addressing and recording displays of ignorance.
Endorsement of an author is not peer review of a any papers. You need to acknowledge your mistake.
The arXiv endorsement system does not look at the contents of any papers. It is an endorsement of the authors.

Next: 19 October 2017: Thinks that ArXiv uploads need some kind of permission!

arXiv has a goal of having any uploaded preprint available within a short time (24 hours?) of the upload. Most uploads appear automatically. For the few preprints the system cannot handle a moderation team does look at the content to determine where to put the preprint. The team can also reject an inappropriate submission (e.g. not in a subject covered by arXiv ) subject to appeal.
The arXiv moderation system

The preprint you link to is a workshop presentation, not a published, peer reviewed paper.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 07:49 PM   #728
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
That sentence was "Yes it is very viable, any SO(n) group is reducible to SU(n) most commonly SU(2)"'.
Let us look at some orthogonal group examples
Quote:
SO(1) = {1}
SO(2) is S1
SO(3) is RP3 [2]
SO(1) = {1}, the trivial group.
SU(1) = {1}, the trivial group.
Thus (trivially ) SO(1) reduces to SU(1).

SO(2) is S1 (a circle). It is the group of 2◊2 real orthogonal matrices.
SU(2) is the group of 2◊2 complex unitary matrices.
We cannot reduce real numbers to complex numbers.

SO(3) "is the group of all rotations about the origin of three-dimensional Euclidean space R3 under the operation of composition".
SU(3) is the group of 3◊3 complex unitary matrices.
We cannot reduce real numbers to complex numbers.

SO(n) have real number elements. SU(n) have complex number elements. For reasonable definitions of reduce, SO(n) cannot be reduced to SU(n). The opposite is viable, e.g. maybe under a projection from the complex numbers to real numbers. We will have to ask a mathematician.

It looks like Mordred swapped the groups. Mordred also needed to be more exact about what they mean by "reducible". N.B. there are orthogonal groups over complex numbers but they are SO(n, C).

Last edited by Reality Check; 18th October 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 18th October 2017, 11:07 PM   #729
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

We get three months relief from PGJ's nonsense.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 11:12 PM   #730
Octavo
Illuminator

Alpha Go gets smashed 100-0 by Alpha Go Zero - with half the compute power.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...n_data_to_win/
Old 19th October 2017, 04:52 AM   #731
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
We get three months relief from PGJ's nonsense.

Gee, what could he have POSSIBLY done?

Back on topic, is there anything in the ideas heís articulated that seem testable, and if so, is there some fundamental issue to keep them from being tested in a grid computing environment?

Thatís the thing that keeps sticking in my craw about his ideas, that he just dismisses grid computing out of hand without any indication heís seriously researched it as an option. He doesnít even seem to really understand what grid computing is. That alone is enough to make me think his entire online persona is attention seeking and not science minded.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 05:08 AM   #732
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Gee, what could he have POSSIBLY done?.........
Well now he has tried to open a sock account and been banned. However, that shouldn't stop us dissecting his guff for the next few weeks and finding more and more holes in it.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 05:36 AM   #733
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Well now he has tried to open a sock account and been banned. However, that shouldn't stop us dissecting his guff for the next few weeks and finding more and more holes in it.

Weird. Thatís the second rude claimant Iíve been interacting with who has gotten banned within the last few days.

Probably a coincidence. Two data points do not a trend make. Itís possible however I have a talent for antagonizing others to the point of them doing something stupid.

Nah, Iíve probably just gravitated to some of the higher-drama conversations, which are going to have a higher likelihood of generating banning offenses.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:20 AM   #734
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

So, not a very quick learner then after all.
Old 19th October 2017, 06:29 AM   #735
Thermal
Graduate Poster

I want to hear about the calculus he invented.

Previously known as MostlyDead. Felling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 06:48 AM   #736
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
I want to hear about the calculus he invented.
Well, according to thesaurus.com, 'figures' is a synonym of calculus, and 'toss off' a synonym of invent.
I really don't want to know about the figures he tossed off...
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:28 AM   #737
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Weird. Thatís the second rude claimant Iíve been interacting with who has gotten banned within the last few days.

Probably a coincidence. Two data points do not a trend make. Itís possible however I have a talent for antagonizing others to the point of them doing something stupid.

Nah, Iíve probably just gravitated to some of the higher-drama conversations, which are going to have a higher likelihood of generating banning offenses.
I like doing that myself. 2nd para of course!!

Wash this space!

Old 19th October 2017, 07:31 AM   #738
Thermal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Well, according to thesaurus.com, 'figures' is a synonym of calculus, and 'toss off' a synonym of invent.
I really don't want to know about the figures he tossed off...
I think I found what he claims is his wee bit of invention. Calls it his Trig Rule Collapser Set. My calc is covered in almost thirty years of rust, but as near as I can see he is claiming to have invented...plugging in values from memory instead of formally spelling them out. His links to a paper he claims to have clarified this on goes 404.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/1...d-compression/

ETA: yeah, I remember doing U-substitutions to find an integral, sometimes a freaking page of them. He seems to be saying that you just slap 'em in from memory. Do I have this right?

ETA part the second: yes, I'm pretty sure he is just recognizing simplification on the fly and plugging in known integrals without formally showing the steps

Previously known as MostlyDead. Felling better now.

Last edited by Thermal; 19th October 2017 at 07:59 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 07:42 AM   #739
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
I think I found what he claims is his wee bit of invention. Calls it his Trig Rule Collapser Set. My calc is covered in almost thirty years of rust, but as near as I can see he is claiming to have invented...plugging in values from memory instead of formally spelling them out. His links to a paper he claims to have clarified this on goes 404.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/1...d-compression/
Not even the WayBack machine has it.
Old 19th October 2017, 01:07 PM   #740
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Seems you might be something of a slow learner, then, as you have continued to do that here.
Well, he seems to exist in a world of his own that is dictated by his own invented notions and definitions, I'd not be surprised if he saw nothing wrong in his actions on the other forums.
----------------------------------------------
ďThat which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.Ē -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 02:32 PM   #741
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Well, he seems to exist in a world of his own that is dictated by his own invented notions and definitions, I'd not be surprised if he saw nothing wrong in his actions on the other forums.

I think his moral awareness is a secondary concern. Iím more concerned with his inability to see patterns or pay heed to people saying they found certain things offensive or incomprehensible.

The tangent over the word ďretardedĒ is an excellent example. I grew up with the word used as a utility insult to describe foolish behavior, people, or ideas. I donít use it in that manner anymore because I know there are people who find it offensive. Even if I completely lacked any kind of empathy for my fellow human beings, Iíd be able to recognize that using the word would be likely to cause offense, so I would at the very least avoid it in situations where I wasnít trying to piss off the people I was talking or writing to.

His discourse about his mathematics and AI ideas were riddled with the same tone deaf approach to language and arguments. His responses consisted largely of insults directed at people who didnít understand him and ivory tower dismissal of people who lacked specific credentials or expertise. He did not conduct himself as a man who came here to debate, but as a man who came here to argue. Heís not arguing about his ideas, heís using his ideas as an excuse to argue.
Old 20th October 2017, 04:30 AM   #742
LordoftheLeftHand
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

ETA part the second: yes, I'm pretty sure he is just recognizing simplification on the fly and plugging in known integrals without formally showing the steps
It is worse than that. He lists the form of an integral that his "rule" can solve/make easier/whatever. Then proceeds to show it in action on a problem that does not have this form (instead he uses an integral with a simpler form). It will not work for the form he indicated.

On a side note, this form I've mentioned is rather odd:

If it is minus, we don't need the rule because the integrand is 0.

If he is reading this: I suggest trying your "rule" with say n = 10 to see how silly it is.

You can read his "paper" here.

Last edited by LordoftheLeftHand; 20th October 2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: punctuation
LordoftheLeftHand is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 04:38 AM   #743
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LordoftheLeftHand View Post
It is worse than that. He lists the form of an integral that his "rule" can solve/make easier/whatever. Then proceeds to show it in action on a problem that does not have this form (instead he uses an integral with a simpler form). It will not work for the form he indicated.

On a side note, this form I've mentioned is rather odd:
https://s1.postimg.org/401twtu6fj/latex.png
If it is minus, we don't need the rule because the integrand is 0.

If he is reading this: I suggest trying your "rule" with say n = 10 to see how silly it is.

You can read his "paper" here.

Levenge makes more sense.

https://www.distortedview.com/show/1...nsion-levenge/
Old 20th October 2017, 06:15 AM   #744
Chanakya
Punditry Unlimited

Well now he has tried to open a sock account ... .
How do you know this? Just curious, since ban and suspension notices don't elaborate on the specific reason(s).
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 06:17 AM   #745
fagin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
How do you know this? Just curious, since ban and suspension notices don't elaborate on the specific reason(s).
From here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=324014
Old 20th October 2017, 06:18 AM   #746
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

This one does:

Quote:
ProgrammingGodJordan has been banned for creating a sock puppet while suspended.
Old 20th October 2017, 06:53 AM   #747
Chanakya
Punditry Unlimited

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
This one does:

Oh, I hadn't the noticed the part about the banning. The suspension, yes, not the banning. So the poor chap is out of here for good, is he? Too bad! Of course he had it coming, he'd practically been asking for it, but still ...
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2017, 07:15 AM   #748
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I hadn't the noticed the part about the banning. The suspension, yes, not the banning. So the poor chap is out of here for good, is he? Too bad! Of course he had it coming, he'd practically been asking for it, but still ...
But still what? The guy had a most impressive internet footprint. Of the twenty or more sites where he spammed his nonsense, all had exactly the same complaints, and roughly half had banned him. I even contacted good old Bengio, his favourite reference in the AI field. Turns out that Bengio actually is a professor and AI researcher. It further turns out the Bengio couldn't figure out what PGJ was on about, and he actually is a leading AI researcher. Kudos to him for responding to my emails in the first place.

And then the "piece-de-resistance". As I followed his trail of collateral spammage, I happened upon a site where he stupidly posted his home address in the web address field which is publically available and there I stopped. I tried to tell him in thread, which "garnered" (haha) the one word response "irrelevant". At halleyscomet's prompting, I PM's him in lavishly conciliatory terms. PM in response? "irrelevant".

I have not identified the site where this error occurred, nor will I (except for the PM to PGJ). In fact, I have signed up to that site for NO reason other than to provoke their mods to do something about it. Why? That would be those troubling things like ethics and altruism that we godless heathens are not supposed to have.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:26 AM   #749
Chanakya
Punditry Unlimited

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
But still what? The guy had a most impressive internet footprint. Of the twenty or more sites where he spammed his nonsense, all had exactly the same complaints, and roughly half had banned him. I even contacted good old Bengio, his favourite reference in the AI field. Turns out that Bengio actually is a professor and AI researcher. It further turns out the Bengio couldn't figure out what PGJ was on about, and he actually is a leading AI researcher. Kudos to him for responding to my emails in the first place.

And then the "piece-de-resistance". As I followed his trail of collateral spammage, I happened upon a site where he stupidly posted his home address in the web address field which is publically available and there I stopped. I tried to tell him in thread, which "garnered" (haha) the one word response "irrelevant". At halleyscomet's prompting, I PM's him in lavishly conciliatory terms. PM in response? "irrelevant".

I have not identified the site where this error occurred, nor will I (except for the PM to PGJ). In fact, I have signed up to that site for NO reason other than to provoke their mods to do something about it. Why? That would be those troubling things like ethics and altruism that we godless heathens are not supposed to have.

No, I agree with all of that. I did see, earlier on, the part where you'd posted your exchange with Bengio Yoshua, as well as PGJ's near-identical threads in other forums (with near-identical responses to his nonsensical posts from the members there). Great work there, by the way.

It's just that, still, the idea of someone being booted out is not exactly pleasant. After all, unlike some others, he wasn't advocating rascism or genocide or real-life harrassment of people (although I suppose Bengio Yoshua migh, just perhaps, disagree with the last part of what I said there!).

But PGJ had been asking for it. Repeatedly and flamboyantly. No doubt about that.
Old 20th October 2017, 03:38 PM   #750
halleyscomet
Philosopher

No, I agree with all of that. I did see, earlier on, the part where you'd posted your exchange with Bengio Yoshua, as well as PGJ's near-identical threads in other forums (with near-identical responses to his nonsensical posts from the members there). Great work there, by the way.

It's just that, still, the idea of someone being booted out is not exactly pleasant. After all, unlike some others, he wasn't advocating rascism or genocide or real-life harrassment of people (although I suppose Bengio Yoshua migh, just perhaps, disagree with the last part of what I said there!).

But PGJ had been asking for it. Repeatedly and flamboyantly. No doubt about that.

I think itís relevant to note that he was suspended for repeated violations of the membership agreement. His actual ban was because he created sock puppet accounts after he was suspended. His ideology had absolutely nothing to do with being banned. Even his attitude and treatment of others was not responsible for his ban.

He was banned for a flagrant and overt violation of the membership agreement. He was banned for pretending to be someone else. He was banned for an act of deliberate deception explicitly banned in the membership agreement. Creating a sock puppet account is a very explicit admission that someone does not intend to engage in discussion on honest terms.

Itís hard to get banned here compared to a lot of similar forums. The moderators are very patient.
Old 20th October 2017, 04:29 PM   #751
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well, believe it or not, my contact with Bengio continues. As things sit, he has provided me with a literal avalanche of material to read on the topic of AI, because PGJ is no longer the topic. It will likely take me some months to wade through the sheer volume of material he has happily provided to me. I don't mind that in the slightest, happy to do so out of simple subject matter interest. It may be a while. I stand by (and it bears reiteration) the fact that Bengio is a really nice guy.

Am I super for tracking this down? No. It simply happens that sometimes, somebody will post something so egregiously stupid and easily checked and verified that I cannot help myself but to go and check and verify the dumb claims. This has occurred twice recently, PGJ and Johan., both now banned. Did my activity get them banned? No, I don't have any such influence and it was their own activity that got them banned from here and, as I discovered, from a multitude of other places.

In short, I am no saint of anything, I just get a little stroppy when people post blatant lies that can be easily checked. Likely, I burned way too much time on them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology