IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 21st May 2021, 10:12 AM   #121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm confused about something - since the insurrectionists were actually Antifa, why did the members of the GOP who hate Antifa vote against an investigation?
That should be pointed out to the GOP Senators. But since they know better, it won't get any of them to vote for the commission.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2021, 12:03 PM   #122
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Republican Senators Humiliate Themselves By Admitting They Haven’t Read 1/6 Commission Bill

“I haven’t even read it,” Rubio added. “I’m not interested in formalizing some partisan political weapon by either side.”

https://politicususa.com/2021/05/21/...sion-bill.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2021, 12:58 PM   #123
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I see my submitted comments to his office really did the trick.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2021, 10:07 PM   #124
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Republican Senators Humiliate Themselves By Admitting They Haven’t Read 1/6 Commission Bill

“I haven’t even read it,” Rubio added. “I’m not interested in formalizing some partisan political weapon by either side.”

Well, I suppose that it does happen to be a political weapon... in that it's fairly certain to expose Republican attempts to deploy brazen lies and violence as political weapons.
Old 21st May 2021, 10:57 PM   #125
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2021, 11:35 PM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The charge countt is now 494.

The latest arrest and charge is yet another "Proud Boy" Daniel Lyons Scott, 28, on charges that include:

• assault on a federal officer with physical contact and intent to commit another felony;
• obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder;
• knowingly engaging in acts of physical violence on restricted grounds;

other charges are pending.
What is Woke? It is a term that means "awakened to the needs of others". It means to be well-informed, thoughtful, compassionate, humble and kind. Woke people are keen to make the world a better, fairer place for everyone, But, unfortunately, it has also become a pejorative used by racists, homophobes and misogynists on the political right, to describe people who possess a fully functional moral compass.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 12:01 AM   #127
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

500 supporters of their President indicted - yeah, nothing to see here.
Old 22nd May 2021, 06:07 AM   #128
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Marco Rubio tweets

@marcorubio
Last night I read the bill creating a January 6th commission

It isn’t designed to produce a serious inquiry

It’s designed to be used as partisan political weapon

I am a no
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 06:28 AM   #129
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The charge countt is now 494.

The latest arrest and charge is yet another "Proud Boy" Daniel Lyons Scott, 28, on charges that include:

• assault on a federal officer with physical contact and intent to commit another felony;
• obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder;
• knowingly engaging in acts of physical violence on restricted grounds;

other charges are pending.
Aka "milkshake". This is the moron captured yelling "let's take the capitol" while meeting with his other fash comrades before the violence started. I have a feeling this lack of discretion will probably play some role in making the conspiracy cases against a lot of the Proud Boys that are getting hoovered up by the feds.

I would expect a superseding indictment at some point in his case that adds much more severe charges for his role in the coordinated fascist assault.
Old 22nd May 2021, 06:29 AM   #130
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

At the ‘America First’ rally in Maricopa last tonight, Senator Marge Greene claimed that Trump had ‘intel’ that there was going to be violence at the Capitol on Jan 6, and wanted to put 10,000 troops around the Capitol but Pelosi refused.
Old 22nd May 2021, 07:22 AM   #131
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

"Journalist" who participated in Capitol riot and filmed the 360 no-scoping fatal shooting of Ashli Babbitt had the money he made selling the footage to the press seized by the feds as proceeds of a crime. Sucks to suck.

Quote:
U.S. seizes $90,000 from man who sold footage of U.S. Capitol riot
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...ot-2021-05-21/

John Earle Sullivan, sometimes known as Activist John, is a right wing streamer that pretends to be left affiliated, though is widely known to be a grifter and agent provocateur. This is the same person often held up by right wing conspirators as proof that the Jan6 attack was an antifa operation.

Quote:
According to media reports, Sullivan participated in Black Lives Matter protests last year. Other Black Lives Matter activists in his home state have disavowed him.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 22nd May 2021 at 07:30 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:32 AM   #132
Belz...
Fiend God

Legislators, everybody.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:33 AM   #133
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
500 supporters of their President indicted - yeah, nothing to see here.
You misspelled "Antifa", there.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 11:28 AM   #134
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

At the ‘America First’ rally in Maricopa last tonight, Senator Marge Greene claimed that Trump had ‘intel’ that there was going to be violence at the Capitol on Jan 6, and wanted to put 10,000 troops around the Capitol but Pelosi refused.
She is a Representative, not a Senator. And she's also a liar. So is Trump. And Christopher Miller.
Old 22nd May 2021, 01:59 PM   #135
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Q: Then why didn't she vote FOR creating a bipartisan commission that would have revealed this if there was any truth to it?

A: Because she is a liar and she knows there is no truth to it

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd May 2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:39 AM   #136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rep. Mike Gallagher voted against the January 6th commission, yet here he was locked in his office on January 6th calling it "banana republic crap" and begging Trump to call it off. Classic GOP hypocrisy.

Video in link

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/s...50461787049984

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 23rd May 2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 23rd May 2021, 01:25 PM   #137
Mumbles
Philosopher

Heh, “Intel” meaning “they’re publicly saying so”. And since when did Toupee Fiasco listen to Pelosi?

It’s the obviousness of the law that makes me think “exactly what I’d expect from a goon that shared a video of herself performing a sex act on a first year rep’s office door.”
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2021, 03:04 PM   #138
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump doesn't do "intel".

Old 24th May 2021, 06:44 AM   #139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Capitol insurrectionists aren't making plea deals because they believe Trump will swoop in to save them: report

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-att...ump-save-them/
Old 24th May 2021, 06:50 AM   #140
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Capitol insurrectionists aren't making plea deals because they believe Trump will swoop in to save them: report

I think that will change after a few lose in court. Of course just look at the whole Bundy taking over a federal government installation and getting away with it, we have a pretty poor track record of holding violent right wing loons accountable for their actions.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 07:23 AM   #141
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I think that will change after a few lose in court. Of course just look at the whole Bundy taking over a federal government installation and getting away with it, we have a pretty poor track record of holding violent right wing loons accountable for their actions.
I think that's the other reason there are few plea deals. The few convictions that came out of the Bunkerville and Malheur standoffs were plea deals. Those that held out for jury trials mostly had all charges dropped due to the prosecution madly and massively flubbing disclosure. That sent a clear message that plea deals were for suckers. In the Bundy family saga, those that held out for trial got off.

When these current cases go to trial, I'm thinking that the defense attorneys will really hit on disclosure, asking for all sorts of documents and audio and video and everything they can think of. They'll be pushing that because the prosecutions failure to provide requested documents torpedoed the prosecution of the Bundistas. So they'll ask for everything under the sun, including defense department conversations regarding the national guard. They'll want conversations from House and Senate leaders regarding security. They'll hope the penchant for secrecy prevents DOD and Congressional staff from providing those documents, thus flubbing discovery again.

These things can build over time. We really, really screwed up with the Bundy's, and that could follow through to this. If we screw this up, it will build to something else.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 04:23 PM   #142
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Daily Beast: Nevada County GOP Cancels Meeting Amid Fear of Proud Boy Insurgency
Quote:
On Tuesday, May 25, Nevada’s Clark County Republican Party was scheduled to hold a meeting guarded by an armed security force. But on Monday, the party abruptly canceled the gathering altogether.

“Our management team has decided the risk to our members outweighs the value of this meeting,” Clark County Republican Party Vice Chair Stephen Sliberkraus said in a press conference.

The alleged threat was not from opponents across the aisle but from the far right.
We cannot tolerate being bullied by these people.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 04:38 PM   #143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think that's the other reason there are few plea deals. The few convictions that came out of the Bunkerville and Malheur standoffs were plea deals. Those that held out for jury trials mostly had all charges dropped due to the prosecution madly and massively flubbing disclosure. That sent a clear message that plea deals were for suckers. In the Bundy family saga, those that held out for trial got off. ...
Do you have a cite for this?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 05:20 PM   #144
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you have a cite for this?
Bundy case: Judge declares mistrial over 2014 armed standoff
Quote:
LAS VEGAS — A U.S. judge in Nevada declared a mistrial Wednesday in the case against a states' rights figure, his two sons and another man accused of leading a 2014 armed standoff with federal agents during a cattle grazing dispute.
Quote:
In the Nevada case, Navarro faulted federal prosecutors for failing to turn over all evidence to defense attorneys, including records about the conduct of FBI and Bureau of Land Management agents during the standoff.

"The government is obligated to disclose all evidence that might be favorable" to the defense, the judge said.
I was partly mistaken. There was a mistrial in the Bunkerville, NV related trial - I got that one right. There are news reports of it going back to trial again, but I didn't see any follow through.

They followed through with the jury trial regarding Malheur NWR, and were acquitted by the jury. There were issues with discovery there too, but not enough to cause a mistrial.
Government Outlines Malheur Trial Facebook Evidence Fumble In Memo To Judge

Either way, based on those two trials, I would think the Capitol defendants would be disincentivised to plea bargain.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 05:36 PM   #145
Belz...
Fiend God

It's the Jesus cult all over again.

Old 24th May 2021, 05:42 PM   #146
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Bundy case: Judge declares mistrial over 2014 armed standoff

I was partly mistaken. There was a mistrial in the Bunkerville, NV related trial - I got that one right. There are news reports of it going back to trial again, but I didn't see any follow through.

They followed through with the jury trial regarding Malheur NWR, and were acquitted by the jury. There were issues with discovery there too, but not enough to cause a mistrial.
Government Outlines Malheur Trial Facebook Evidence Fumble In Memo To Judge

Either way, based on those two trials, I would think the Capitol defendants would be disincentivised to plea bargain.
Thanks for the links. As for the Capitol defendants, doesn't that require they have an awareness of the news?
Old 25th May 2021, 03:11 AM   #147
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Thanks for the links. As for the Capitol defendants, doesn't that require they have an awareness of the news?
They have plenty of awareness of the news, it is just filtered through a rather biased source and this is likely something that they are aware of, and certainly their lawyers should be.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 03:49 AM   #148
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Bayesians they are not.
Old 25th May 2021, 09:49 AM   #149
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I imagine a lot of these CHUDs will remain unwavering supporters of Trump even after they've been sentenced and never got any relief, or even sympathies, from their God-King.

Real pathetic stuff, remaining loyal even after being publicly hung out to dry.
Old 25th May 2021, 11:25 AM   #150
portlandatheist
Illuminator

A study was conducted on the demographics of the people arrested for rioting. It had a few suprising results
Amanpour and Company interviews Professor Robert Pape:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

-Most were gainfully employed, even rich
-Most were married
-Most were not part of a right wing gang or militia like the Proud Boys or the oath keepers
- Most were conservatives from blue cities and blue states. The counties with high Trump turnout, were not the people that showed up here
- His general conclusion had awkward phrasing, that most were "afraid that minorities rights would exceed that of white peoples rights" but my takeaway was that they had garden variety Tucker Carlson style racism.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 11:34 AM   #151
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Gee whiz!

I know that Trump has had some horrible lawyers, but I never expected that Trump supporters would end up with even worse lawyers than Trump has.
Nothing much new here. The favorite defense of right wingers when they're caught doing something really bad and stupid is to argue that they're too stupid to be accountable. Here on this forum, T**** supporters often bring up his clueless idiocy as an excuse. Other commentators and staffers have with some success argued that their statements were so obviously nutty they couldn't be taken seriously. Under the circumstances maybe its the best approach.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 11:56 AM   #152
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Many GOP legislators are incapable agreeing to the Jan 6 investigation without insisting the false equivalence of BLM and any other perceived 'librul' protest also be investigated.

I wonder if the Democrats should agree and insist the Democratic legislators who instigated those protests be demonstrably implicated. Any Democratic legislators out there giving speeches before a BLM protest began?
Old 26th May 2021, 05:43 AM   #153
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Judge cites continued challenges to the legitimacy of the Biden win in reason to deny bail to J6 defendant. Hard to argue with this logic, the attack was clearly motivated by this conspiracy theory that has not abated.

Quote:
Judge orders Jan 6 defendant Shane Jenkins of Ohio remain in jail. Judge didn't name Trump, but said:

"Political dynamics that gave way to January 6th have not faded"

"Continuing doubts about legitimacy of election could give rise to another protest"
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/s...71084790075397
Old 26th May 2021, 02:52 PM   #154
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Now 495

The latest idiot to be charged is Jeremy Grace

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sVhac34QkQzOg_
Old 27th May 2021, 05:57 AM   #155
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Now 495

The latest idiot to be charged is Jeremy Grace

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sVhac34QkQzOg_
His father was also charged (way back in February).

In these difficult times it is nice to see a father and son sharing mutual interests... I mean most would want to go to a sporting event, or go fishing together, but I guess a terrorist riot can also make a good father-son bonding moment.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 06:02 AM   #156
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

In these difficult times it is nice to see a father and son sharing mutual interests... I mean most would want to go to a sporting event, or go fishing together, but I guess a terrorist riot can also make a good father-son bonding moment.

Don't forget Eric Munchel, the guy with the tactical gear and zip-tie cuffs who attended the riot with his mother. Insurrections are fun for the whole family.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 06:06 AM   #157
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Don't forget Eric Munchel, the guy with the tactical gear and zip-tie cuffs who attended the riot with his mother. Insurrections are fun for the whole family.
That guy had to request court permission to call his mother on Mother's Day. As a condition of his pre-trial release, he's not allowed contact with his fellow co-defendants.
Old 27th May 2021, 01:27 PM   #158
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Oh, that will be "Laughing Lectern-Carrying Guy"

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th May 2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:16 AM   #159
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If anyone still cares about the continued attack on the very concept of American democracy, Republicans have blocked the creation of a Commission to investigate the riots on January 6th.

They needed 10 Republicans to join the Democrats to get the necessary number, only 6 Republicans voted for it.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:21 AM   #160
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If anyone still cares about the continued attack on the very concept of American democracy, Republicans have blocked the creation of a Commission to investigate the riots on January 6th.

They needed 10 Republicans to join the Democrats to get the necessary number, only 6 Republicans voted for it.
It's odd. Usually the criminal is nt allowed to vote on whether he should be indicted.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events