IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th May 2023, 08:59 AM   #361
dirtywick
Illuminator

yeah i think one light stab wound to the stomach would at least ruin your whole summer, even that's probably not worth the $40 and hassle of cancelling my credit card and getting a new license
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 09:16 AM   #362
Hercules56
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And yeah but there's not a LOT (not none but not a lot) of space between that and the Simpson's "HE'S GOT A BOARD WITH A NAIL IN IT!" meme.
What's your thoughts on the Senator saying the Supreme Court striking more gun laws may lead to revolt? And that the supreme Court has lost all legitimacy?

Very dangerous words if you ask me.

"The mission of The Liberal Gun Club is to provide a pro-Second Amendment voice for left-of-center gun owners in the national conversations on firearms."
Hercules56 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 09:18 AM   #363
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
What's your thoughts on the Senator saying the Supreme Court striking more gun laws may lead to revolt? And that the supreme Court has lost all legitimacy?

Does the Right not getting what it wants always lead to revolt in your world?
Old 15th May 2023, 09:40 AM   #364
Hercules56
Illuminator

Does the Right not getting what it wants always lead to revolt in your world?
What are your thoughts on the Democrat Senator saying if the Supreme Court doesn't allow AW bans, the Democrats may revolt? And that the Supreme Court is not legit?

Looks like very dangerous comments.

"The mission of The Liberal Gun Club is to provide a pro-Second Amendment voice for left-of-center gun owners in the national conversations on firearms."
Hercules56 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 09:42 AM   #365
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

What are your thoughts on the Democrat Senator saying if the Supreme Court doesn't allow AW bans, the Democrats may revolt? And that the Supreme Court is not legit?

Looks like very dangerous comments.
"revolt" meaning they may take actions to bring the SCOTUS to heel and will prioritize appointing pro-gun control jurists. Let me know when Democrats start making increasingly open threats to murder SCOTUS justices, that sounds cool as hell.
Old 15th May 2023, 09:42 AM   #366
dirtywick
Illuminator

quite a few senators are huge idiots, i don't think it will lead to revolt, and i think the supreme court has lost legitimacy

the idea that the need to protect violent psychos access to firearms is much more dangerous than worrying about what those violent psychos will do if you try and disarm them
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 09:53 AM   #367
Hercules56
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
quite a few senators are huge idiots, i don't think it will lead to revolt, and i think the supreme court has lost legitimacy

the idea that the need to protect violent psychos access to firearms is much more dangerous than worrying about what those violent psychos will do if you try and disarm them
Why do you believe the US Supreme Court is no longer legitimate?

Because they make rulings you don't agree with?

Old 15th May 2023, 10:25 AM   #368
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm hesitant to go down this road because I know how certain agents in this discourse well take it and run with it and I'll just go ahead and apologize for that now, but honestly and openness are important.
As I said.
Old 15th May 2023, 10:52 AM   #369
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
As you know you even need a license for owning an air rifle (BB gun) in Scotland. It is harder and requires more steps and a good reason to own one, you can't buy it to shoot intruders, which is good because we really don't need to
https://www.concealedcarry-ed.com/te...aledcarry_law/

"Texas License to Carry Permit Requirements
Applicant Requirements:
1- You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a Texas License to Carry (LTC).
2- You must have a valid government-issued identification card, such as driver's license from Texas or another state.
3- You must meet all qualifications to purchase a handgun.
4- You must pass an approved classroom or online training course and demonstrate handgun proficiency shooting with a Texas-qualified LTC instructor."

In Scotland you need to be 18 for a firearm and 14 for a shotgun. You do not need an ID card. You do not need to pass any type of course.

There are types of licence in the US that are harder to get than a UK firearms or shotgun licence.
Old 15th May 2023, 11:02 AM   #370
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
https://www.concealedcarry-ed.com/te...aledcarry_law/

"Texas License to Carry Permit Requirements
Applicant Requirements:
1- You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a Texas License to Carry (LTC).
2- You must have a valid government-issued identification card, such as driver's license from Texas or another state.
3- You must meet all qualifications to purchase a handgun.
4- You must pass an approved classroom or online training course and demonstrate handgun proficiency shooting with a Texas-qualified LTC instructor."

In Scotland you need to be 18 for a firearm and 14 for a shotgun. You do not need an ID card. You do not need to pass any type of course.

There are types of licence in the US that are harder to get than a UK firearms or shotgun licence.
I don't understand the comparison at all here. You don't need any license at all to simply own a gun in Texas, and carrying for self defense isn't legal in Scotland. In every way Scottish law is more strict.

I really don't get what point you're trying to make.
Old 15th May 2023, 11:07 AM   #371
dirtywick
Illuminator

how about one of them has been taking bribes for 30 years
Old 15th May 2023, 11:54 AM   #372
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
I don't understand the comparison at all here. You don't need any license at all to simply own a gun in Texas, and carrying for self defense isn't legal in Scotland. In every way Scottish law is more strict.

I really don't get what point you're trying to make.
I said the point I was trying to make. There are types of licence in the US that are harder to get than a UK firearms or shotgun licence. For example, a Texas CCW permit.
Old 15th May 2023, 11:57 AM   #373
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Like you guys still have crime. Right? You still have robberies and muggings and smash and grabs and carjackings and... yeah part (PART. I SAID PART) of the American in me legit does go "How?" How do you have crime with no weapons? How do criminals make you do something?"
Simple.

Like any predator, they prey on people weaker than them.

Isn't that why Americans carry guns? The ones I know who do definitely fit that bill. The gun makes them feel much, much bigger.

Home of the brave.
Old 15th May 2023, 11:58 AM   #374
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I said the point I was trying to make. There are types of licence in the US that are harder to get than a UK firearms or shotgun licence. For example, a Texas CCW permit.
A requirement to demonstrate a legitimate reason to own a gun (besides just wanting one) strikes me as a far more meaningful hurdle than being 21 or showing ID.

Showing "good reason" in which self defense is not accepted is a serious impediment and notably absent in many US states.
Old 15th May 2023, 12:03 PM   #375
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

A requirement to demonstrate a legitimate reason to own a gun (besides just wanting one) strikes me as a far more meaningful hurdle than being 21 or showing ID.
You missed out having to do a course, over not having to do so.

It is easy to demonstrate a legitimate reason for a firearm, of which there are many alternatives, from targets, to hunting, to vermin control. No reason is needed for a shotgun.

Quote:
Showing "good reason" in which self defense is not accepted is a serious impediment and notably absent in many US states.
We don't need guns for self-defence. The chances of being attacked by someone with a gun or knife is very low indeed, except for youths in gangs, who would not get a licence anyway.

Last edited by Nessie; 15th May 2023 at 12:12 PM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 12:33 PM   #376
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

We don't need guns for self-defence. The chances of being attacked by someone with a gun or knife is very low indeed, except for youths in gangs, who would not get a licence anyway.
Perhaps you can see how the rarity of getting a gun pushed in your face on the streets is somehow related to a gun control scheme which does not accept "self defense" or "I dunno, I just want it" as an acceptable reason to issue a permit.

I don't know how else to state it. Requiring a potential gun owner to demonstrate, to a cop's subjective discretion, a sincere interest in participating in hunting or other sport shooting is a hugely significant piece of gun control policy and makes things like taking a weekend course or showing ID seem like nothing.

Guns in America are so prolific in no small part because there is mostly nobody scrutinizing your reasons to want a gun

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 15th May 2023 at 12:35 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 12:47 PM   #377
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Very possibly, but they're totally different situations. You can't equate them just because they're "equally difficult". There is no "point" that you're making here.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2023, 01:25 PM   #378
lobosrul5
Illuminator

The following states have the following gun ownership rates:

Delaware= 34%

Vermont=50%

Maine=47%

Alaska=64%

North Dakota=55%

Montana=66%

Nebraska=45%

Iowa=43%

South Dakota=55%

Kansas=49%

New Hampshire=41%

Idaho=60%

Wisconsin=45%

Oregon=50%

Oklahoma=54%

Michigan=40%

Utah=46%

Nevada=47%

New Mexico=46%

Minnesota=42%

Arkansas=47%

Wyoming=66%

Washington=42%

Arizona=46%

How is possible that ALL of these states, accounting for probably at least 100 million Americans, have few to no mass-shootings???? If a massive rate of gun ownership was the real problem here, wouldn't these states all at least have one mass-shooting a week? A month?

Something doesn't add up. Hmmmm.....

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/gun...s-by-state/52/

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/15/us/fa...ing/index.html
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2023, 12:49 AM   #379
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you can see how the rarity of getting a gun pushed in your face on the streets is somehow related to a gun control scheme which does not accept "self defense" or "I dunno, I just want it" as an acceptable reason to issue a permit.

I don't know how else to state it. Requiring a potential gun owner to demonstrate, to a cop's subjective discretion, a sincere interest in participating in hunting or other sport shooting is a hugely significant piece of gun control policy and makes things like taking a weekend course or showing ID seem like nothing.

Guns in America are so prolific in no small part because there is mostly nobody scrutinizing your reasons to want a gun
You said "Requiring a potential gun owner to demonstrate, to a cop's subjective discretion…". Describe to me what actually happens during the application process, regarding providing a reason to possess a firearm.
Old 16th May 2023, 01:14 AM   #380
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Very possibly, but they're totally different situations. You can't equate them just because they're "equally difficult". There is no "point" that you're making here.
In my experience, Americans think we do not have many guns in the UK, because of the government's licensing system that is designed to make getting a gun very difficult. Americans like to think it is an example of how they are free and we are repressed.

In fact, we do not have that many guns, because not that many people are interested in getting one. We don't have the need for guns for self-defence and there is only a small culture of hunting and sports shooting. Many guns are working guns, used to cull.

The UK licensing system is actually a default issue one, which is not particularly expensive or complicated and is no harder, and in some cases easier, than getting some US permits. Anyone in the UK who wants a gun, who does not have serious previous convictions or calls to their home for domestic disturbances, will get a gun.

The reason part that many comment on, is that self-defence is not usually accepted, except in Northern Ireland. Shotguns do not need a reason. The reasons for firearms are simple and cover every conceivable use for a firearm, so it is pick the most suitable one.

This is related to the topic, because of the fact that out of all the mass shootings in the UK, only one was by someone who did not have a licence, and he stole the gun he used from his licence holding father. However, that means the UK licensing system is 99.9% plus successful at only giving guns to people who can be trusted.

Many US mass shootings have been by people who have legally got guns, or have stolen a gun from a relative who legally had their gun. The US also needs a system that can be trusted to work, such as the UK one, which is not as restrictive as many think.

Allow self-defence, as happens in NI (which has had no mass shootings) along with hunting, vermin control, sports shooting and the standard reasons why anyone would get a gun.

I commented on a quote earlier, by a US lady who was all for restricting gun ownership and getting guns of criminal gangs, and how that ignores the many legally held guns are used by supposedly law abiding people to kill.

For mass shootings to be reduced, everyone has to be presumed to be capable of a mass shooting and everyone subject to a licensing system, similar to one that is proven to weed out the idiots, such as the UK system, or the Texan CCW permit system, which does not have the reason requirement, but does have a training one.
Old 16th May 2023, 05:14 AM   #381
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

You said "Requiring a potential gun owner to demonstrate, to a cop's subjective discretion…". Describe to me what actually happens during the application process, regarding providing a reason to possess a firearm.
According to this page from the Scottish government, you have to demonstrate membership to a club or access to land that is willing to allow you to regularly shoot.

Quote:
Good reason may be evidenced by having authority to shoot over land, membership of a target shooting club or proof of regular use.
https://www.scotland.police.uk/about...-and-shotguns/
Old 16th May 2023, 05:31 AM   #382
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

In my experience, Americans think we do not have many guns in the UK, because of the government's licensing system that is designed to make getting a gun very difficult. Americans like to think it is an example of how they are free and we are repressed.

In fact, we do not have that many guns, because not that many people are interested in getting one. We don't have the need for guns for self-defence and there is only a small culture of hunting and sports shooting. Many guns are working guns, used to cull.

The UK licensing system is actually a default issue one, which is not particularly expensive or complicated and is no harder, and in some cases easier, than getting some US permits. Anyone in the UK who wants a gun, who does not have serious previous convictions or calls to their home for domestic disturbances, will get a gun.

The reason part that many comment on, is that self-defence is not usually accepted, except in Northern Ireland. Shotguns do not need a reason. The reasons for firearms are simple and cover every conceivable use for a firearm, so it is pick the most suitable one.

This is related to the topic, because of the fact that out of all the mass shootings in the UK, only one was by someone who did not have a licence, and he stole the gun he used from his licence holding father. However, that means the UK licensing system is 99.9% plus successful at only giving guns to people who can be trusted.

Many US mass shootings have been by people who have legally got guns, or have stolen a gun from a relative who legally had their gun. The US also needs a system that can be trusted to work, such as the UK one, which is not as restrictive as many think.

Allow self-defence, as happens in NI (which has had no mass shootings) along with hunting, vermin control, sports shooting and the standard reasons why anyone would get a gun.

I commented on a quote earlier, by a US lady who was all for restricting gun ownership and getting guns of criminal gangs, and how that ignores the many legally held guns are used by supposedly law abiding people to kill.

For mass shootings to be reduced, everyone has to be presumed to be capable of a mass shooting and everyone subject to a licensing system, similar to one that is proven to weed out the idiots, such as the UK system, or the Texan CCW permit system, which does not have the reason requirement, but does have a training one.
The obvious factor you seem most determined to ignore is that entire classes of guns that are most useful for personal self defense, aka pistols, are entirely banned. The UK has banned the types of weapons that are designed and most useful for killing people and easiest to carry concealed on your person or in a vehicle.

If the US adopted a total ban except for hunting shotguns and target rifles gun ownership and shootings would plummet.
Old 16th May 2023, 05:44 AM   #383
Hercules56
Illuminator

Its a shame 100% of mass shootings don't take place in states with loose gun laws.

Old 16th May 2023, 05:52 AM   #384
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Its a shame 100% of mass shootings don't take place in states with loose gun laws.
Every state in the US has loose gun laws. US gun control exists on an extremely limited spectrum compared to our peers.
Old 16th May 2023, 05:52 AM   #385
jeremyp
Master Poster

But that is kind of meaningless. You are not comparing like for like.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2023, 06:01 AM   #386
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The thirty years of bribes is a good one, then there's the failure to recuse themselves from cases where they have sociopolitical or financial involvement and a bunch of them weren't appointed with the full 60 Senate votes. I'm sure there's more reasons.
Old 16th May 2023, 06:13 AM   #387
Hercules56
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
The thirty years of bribes is a good one, then there's the failure to recuse themselves from cases where they have sociopolitical or financial involvement and a bunch of them weren't appointed with the full 60 Senate votes. I'm sure there's more reasons.
It is no longer necessary to get 60 votes in order to be approved as a Supreme Court Justice. However this in no way makes the current Supreme Court in any way "illegitimate".

Last edited by Hercules56; 16th May 2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 16th May 2023, 06:17 AM   #388
jeremyp
Master Poster

It is no longer necessary to get 60 votes in order to be approved as a Supreme Court Justice. However this in no way makes the current Supreme Court in any way "illegitimate".
Taking bribes for 30 years does dent your legitimacy somewhat.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2023, 06:25 AM   #389
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The right wing has held that the SCOTUS was illegitimate for a long time, as evidenced as their willingness to role back recent SCOTUS precedent with no hesitation. To the victors go the spoils.

The only people who seemed to sincerely believe in the courts as some institution above base politics were the liberals, and only that because the court happened to be making decisions that they agreed with for a long period of time. Their belief that the court were somehow above the nasty business of politicking is probably a large part of why they were so careless in ensuring continuing dominance of the courts, despite it being absolutely necessary to the continued success of their political project.

Finally the partisan divide is healed and everyone more or less agrees that SCOTUS justices are just politicians in robes and their decisions are no more enlightened or sacred than any other political outcome.
Old 16th May 2023, 06:41 AM   #390
Hercules56
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post

I agree that Thomas should be impeached.

Or at least severely reprimanded.

But even if you get rid of him the court is legitimate

Old 16th May 2023, 07:18 AM   #391
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

According to this page from the Scottish government, you have to demonstrate membership to a club or access to land that is willing to allow you to regularly shoot.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about...-and-shotguns/
So not subject to the cop's subjective discretion, as you claimed.

The majority of licences I did, were either gun club members, or they had a farmer or other's landowners authority to shoot. That could be a once a year trip to a grouse shoot, to every weekend lamping for foxes, shooting rabbits, or culling deer. Anyone with a bit of land can set up a target range, so long they can show how they would prevent unauthorised access during shoots.

If someone has permission, or it is their land, the grant is automatic.
Old 16th May 2023, 07:22 AM   #392
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

So not subject to the cop's subjective discretion, as you claimed.

The majority of licences I did, were either gun club members, or they had a farmer or other's landowners authority to shoot. That could be a once a year trip to a grouse shoot, to every weekend lamping for foxes, shooting rabbits, or culling deer. Anyone with a bit of land can set up a target range, so long they can show how they would prevent unauthorised access during shoots.

If someone has permission, or it is their land, the grant is automatic.
the way the page writes it it seems like your local cop has quite a bit of leeway to determine what constitutes a "good reason", in which demonstrating participation in sports shooting or hunting are cited as good examples of such a reason.

This is more burdensome than signing up for a weekend course that you never have to repeat.

Land isn't free, and friends who own land aren't infinite, and countryside capacity to host shooters is not unlimited. Requiring gun club ownership or proving access to sporting/hunting grounds is a serious impediment.

I don't think you fully appreciate how many gun owners in the US do not engage in regular sporting use of their guns, and for how many proving such activity would be annoying enough they might not bother with the process.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 16th May 2023 at 07:29 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2023, 07:33 AM   #393
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The obvious factor you seem most determined to ignore is that entire classes of guns that are most useful for personal self defense, aka pistols, are entirely banned....
A selection of some of the pistols for sale in the UK.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/pistols

What you will notice, is that most are conversion to meet the requirement of a maximum of three shots before reloading, and the ones that have more are only for sale in NI, with the relevant certificate.

For example, this CZ 9mm SP-01 Shadow, described as;

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/pistol...10604205938026

"Design based on the proven CZ 75 line of pistols
Handgun intended for special units, suitable also for target shooting, hobby or self defence
Long service life, accuracy and reliability even when used under adverse conditions
MIL-STD-1913 accessory rails to accept tactical lights and lasers
High stability and steadiness while shooting quick shots
Front of trigger guard provided with serrations
Front strap serrated for better grip
Checkered rubber grip panels
Enhanced magazine capacity holding 18 cartridges, CZ 75 standard magazines can be also used

Part Exchange Price £1125.00
Straight Sale Price £1040.00

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A SECTION 5 FIREARM
FOR SALE IN NORTHERN IRELAND ONLY"

I did the firearm certificate renewal for the then UK's quick draw champion. He had various pistols, all converted for one shot only, which they hooked up to a timing device for competitions.

I also did certificates for weapons of historic interest, which were single shot, black powder pistols as well as the earliest rifles.

After Hungerford and Dunblane, it was sensibly decided that multiple shot weapons made mass shootings easier. So, to make people safer, those weapons were banned, unless subject to conversion. That plan has not actually prevented mass shootings, as Monkseaton, Cumbria and Plymouth attest to. However, those shooters, if they had the firepower available to Michael Ryan or Thomas Hamilton, maybe they would have killed more people.
Old 16th May 2023, 07:42 AM   #394
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

the way the page writes it it seems like your local cop has quite a bit of leeway to determine what constitutes a "good reason", in which demonstrating participation in sports shooting or hunting are cited as good examples of such a reason.
The cop has no leeway. If the applicant has permission to shoot at Hilltop Farm, or the Shire Gun Club, or the Lordships grouse moor, or the Stalker deer estate, they get the gun.

Quote:
This is more burdensome than signing up for a weekend course that you never have to repeat.
It is a system designed to be easier for the wealthy, as the tradition in the UK.

Quote:
Land isn't free, and friends who own land aren't infinite, and countryside capacity to host shooters is not unlimited. Requiring gun club ownership or proving access to sporting/hunting grounds is a serious impediment.
The demand for guns is so low, that the access to clubs and land is not an issue.

Quote:
I don't think you fully appreciate how many gun owners in the US do not engage in regular sporting use of their guns, and for how many proving such activity would be annoying enough they might not bother with the process.
Usage was monitored by purchases of ammo. If someone had permission to buy 50 and possess 150 bullets and in the 5 years before renewal, they made a annual purchase of 50 bullets, they would get the renewal no problem. It was people who had made no purchases at all, and they still had 140 bullets, who would then run into problems about usage. They would get a renewal once, but if the next time they still had hardly used the gun, the renewal would be declined.
Old 16th May 2023, 07:44 AM   #395
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

A selection of some of the pistols for sale in the UK.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/pistols

What you will notice, is that most are conversion to meet the requirement of a maximum of three shots before reloading, and the ones that have more are only for sale in NI, with the relevant certificate.

For example, this CZ 9mm SP-01 Shadow, described as;

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/pistol...10604205938026

"Design based on the proven CZ 75 line of pistols
Handgun intended for special units, suitable also for target shooting, hobby or self defence
Long service life, accuracy and reliability even when used under adverse conditions
MIL-STD-1913 accessory rails to accept tactical lights and lasers
High stability and steadiness while shooting quick shots
Front of trigger guard provided with serrations
Front strap serrated for better grip
Checkered rubber grip panels
Enhanced magazine capacity holding 18 cartridges, CZ 75 standard magazines can be also used

Part Exchange Price £1125.00
Straight Sale Price £1040.00

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A SECTION 5 FIREARM
FOR SALE IN NORTHERN IRELAND ONLY"

I did the firearm certificate renewal for the then UK's quick draw champion. He had various pistols, all converted for one shot only, which they hooked up to a timing device for competitions.

I also did certificates for weapons of historic interest, which were single shot, black powder pistols as well as the earliest rifles.

After Hungerford and Dunblane, it was sensibly decided that multiple shot weapons made mass shootings easier. So, to make people safer, those weapons were banned, unless subject to conversion. That plan has not actually prevented mass shootings, as Monkseaton, Cumbria and Plymouth attest to. However, those shooters, if they had the firepower available to Michael Ryan or Thomas Hamilton, maybe they would have killed more people.
Pray tell me, how easy is it for your average non-NI UK citizen to purchase a Section 5 pistol? Do they get to keep such weapons in their homes?

Or, as I suspect, is it a massive pain in the ass that basically nobody qualifies for?

Why do UK olympic team pistol shooters need special exemptions to possess guns in the UK?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-ahead-of-2012
Old 16th May 2023, 07:58 AM   #396
dirtywick
Illuminator

I agree that Thomas should be impeached.

Or at least severely reprimanded.

But even if you get rid of him the court is legitimate
a court that can be bought isn't legitimate. it's not complicated
Old 16th May 2023, 09:53 AM   #397
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Pray tell me, how easy is it for your average non-NI UK citizen to purchase a Section 5 pistol?
It is the same process as any other firearm.

Quote:
Do they get to keep such weapons in their homes?
Yes.

Quote:
Or, as I suspect, is it a massive pain in the ass that basically nobody qualifies for?
Demand for that type of weapon is very low in the UK, not because it is a massive pain in the arse, but because not many people are bothered about guns.

Quote:
Why do UK olympic team pistol shooters need special exemptions to possess guns in the UK?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-ahead-of-2012
That article starts off making the same mistake you did, when it said "Britain banned handguns in 1997".

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/s...na-geikie.html

"“Olympics to Boost Shooting,” read a news release from the British shooting team. One of the team’s top shooters, Peter Wilson, said in the release that he hoped the main legacy of the Olympics “is that people start to have a positive outlook on shooting.”
Wilson uses a shotgun, which, like rifles, air guns and some significantly modified pistols, remains legal here. The guns used in three Olympic shooting events, the ones involving cartridge pistols, were banned altogether in 1997. Since then, anyone wanting to practice had to do so on the Continent or at least in Northern Ireland, where the laws are looser."

Three Olympic events used technically banned pistols, bans which have been lifted. The real issue was that hardly anyone in the UK was interested. Instead, UK success in Olympic shooting has mostly been with shotguns and clays, the result of the tradition of game shooting and country estates.

Shooting, like horses, rowing and sailing, are Olympic events that are seen as the preserve of the rich, the landed gentry, in the UK.

The difficulty in getting into the sport is more due to a lack of interest and so facilities and funding, not because all pistols have supposedly been banned under draconian licensing laws.
Old 17th May 2023, 12:11 AM   #398
erlando
Master Poster

400,000,000 guns in civil hands and no borders between states...
Old 17th May 2023, 12:29 AM   #399
jeremyp
Master Poster

For the avoidance of confusion, here is the UK Home Office guidance on firearms licensing

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ssible-version

Chapter 3 lists guns that are prohibited. They include all semi automatic pistols. You can still get one but it seems that you need approval from the Secretary of State. I.E. the government minister responsible for home affairs.
Old 17th May 2023, 05:43 AM   #400
Hercules56
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
a court that can be bought isn't legitimate. it's not complicated
We have no evidence that any of the other justices are corrupt like Thomas.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events