ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags blindfold tricks

Old 9th May 2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Lukas1986
Critical Thinker

Blindfolded Children

Hi

I would like to know your opinion on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7x...ature=youtu.be

I know that its stupid to believe it really works. I would like to know how they are cheating. Also it is stupid that a child claims he can read and without the blindfold he needs to wear glasses but with the blindfold he is reading with no problem.

If you know how this magic trick is done I would welcome it.

Never mind find the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4QpaLx91g

Last edited by Lukas1986; 9th May 2019 at 09:21 PM.
Lukas1986 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2019, 10:07 PM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher

Wham bam thank ya ma'am.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:26 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Randi has spoken of this often. About how mysterious it is when he is permitted to apply the blindfold himself and the kids just can't do it any more.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:28 PM   #4
dann
Philosopher

The rubbing is misdirection. So is the story about the glasses.
http://content.time.com/time/health/...199773,00.html
https://www.theskepticsguide.org/gul...ld-trick-again
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 05:17 AM   #5
Armitage72
Master Poster

I can't watch the video at work, but I remember a case in one of Randi's books, in which a teenage girl claimed to be able to read while blindfolded. The trick was that she was using a homemade blindfold created from a pair of swim goggles, and she had a naturally occurring dent in the side of her nose that allowed her to see around the edge of one of the goggle lenses.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 05:20 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Penn Jillette has mentioned before to never trust a blindfold.

I'm sure his partner agrees but, oddly, I've never heard him say so.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 05:51 AM   #7
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

The late Martin Gardner said that he knew of at least 30 different ways to “cheat” blindfolds... The simplest being “nose peeking”.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 11:58 AM   #8
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Really makes me uneasy and frankly a bit irate seeing some of these deluded folks suggest this be implemented in schools for the blind and visually impaired.
Old 10th May 2019, 12:23 PM   #9
ahhell
Master Poster

I'm curious if there are any graduates of her program out there. Some 18 year old that can tell us how much of a laugh they all had by fooling their kindly old teacher or how they all just faked it because they were embarrassed that that they couldn't see with their third eye or what ever.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Thor 2
Philosopher

Just obvious crap to me.

Couldn't force myself to watch too much, but when the woman said all kids between the age of 6 and 12 could do these things, "because they didn't have a logical brain", I lost it. So typical of the woo spinners to make these sort of authoritarian statements.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lukas1986 View Post
Never mind find the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4QpaLx91g
Thank you Shen. That was excellent.

Matthew
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 12:48 AM   #12
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

The comments on the original youtube in the OP make one despair for humanity.

Randi did a bunch of disproving of this a few years back. It seems that everyone was dying to believe in it. Banacek, I believe, drove a car at high speed with "an impenetrable blindfold".

If you watch the first video you can see the kids turning their heads this way and that so they can get their personal "opening" aligned. Each kid, since their facial bones are different, has a different preferred angle. Having the gullible adults check the blindfold is a ruse, obviously. An "impenetrable" blindfold on my face is not impenetrable on my son's. Blindfolds, as Randi taught us in several debunkings, depend on the face contours. (Randi just put tape over the eyelids. If they can't open their eyes, their powers fail. With the little Russian scammer the preliminaries were to make certain that she wasn't taking verbal or auditory clues and to check out how she was seeing around the blindfold. When he blindfolded her the final time, they just gave up.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 02:47 PM   #13
Thor 2
Philosopher

I agree Foolmewunz, it is most depressing.

So many folk just want to believe stuff like this because, I think, it somehow gives credibility to the other woo they hold dear. They can point to this as proof that woo in general has traction.
Old 11th May 2019, 11:49 PM   #14
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Really makes me uneasy and frankly a bit irate seeing some of these deluded folks suggest this be implemented in schools for the blind and visually impaired.

About 15 years ago when commercial broadcasters went overboard with 'reality' shows about psychics and past-life therapists, I overheard a conversation between two blind girls on a train. One of them, obviously born blind, seemed almost obsessed with the past-life therapy series because she thought it offered her a chance to experience what seeing things was like.
I didn't say anything, but thinking about it later on I regretted that I didn't warn her.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Lukas1986
Critical Thinker

Here is another one:

https://youtu.be/btWeLC0lhdk

The person in question is Elio Conte and according to this website he is using the InfoVision method a method of Mark Komissarov.

http://mkomissarov.com/en/news/infov...ly-recognized/

Komissarov was debunked by skeptics:

https://manipulatori.cz/lesk-bida-ez...ivniho-videni/

Sorry its in Czech.

Here is it in English:

http://content.time.com/time/health/...199773,00.html

Last edited by Lukas1986; 12th May 2019 at 08:53 AM.
Lukas1986 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal