ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2020, 01:33 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Man kidnaps woman, forces her to watch "Roots" in order to "Understand her Racism."

Quote:
Police in Cedar Rapids, Iowa arrested a man after he allegedly kidnapped a woman and forced her to watch “Roots,” a 1977 TV miniseries about slavery in the United States.

Cedar Rapids newspaper The Gazette reports Robert Lee Noye, 52, was arrested Monday.

A criminal complaint stated Noye forced the victim to watch the show, which is a nine-hour historical miniseries about slavery in the U.S. through the post-Civil War era, “so she could better understand her racism.”

The complaint also stated the suspect told the victim he would “kill her and spread her body parts across Interstate 380 on the way to Chicago” if she did not sit and watch the show.
Wave3, NBC Affiliate: https://www.wave3.com/2020/02/17/wom...nd-her-racism/
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2020, 01:46 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One cannot help but imagine backstories for this encounter. For sure these two must have crossed paths before. I'm imagining something in the 15 items or less lane.

"You've got at least twenty items! Go to the regular lane!"

"Shut up, Karen! That's racist!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"Uh- You know what? Okay, fine. You don't think it's racist, I've got a TV show you need to see. And I won't take no for an answer!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2020, 01:48 PM   #3
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I have to say that description sounds scary accurate.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 03:21 PM   #4
ajelehtija
Student

It could have been worse. He could have forced her to watch Lost or something.
ajelehtija is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 04:09 PM   #5
carlitos
"más divertido"

So ridiculous. 380 doesn't go anywhere near Chicago.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One cannot help but imagine backstories for this encounter. For sure these two must have crossed paths before. I'm imagining something in the 15 items or less lane.

"You've got at least twenty items! Go to the regular lane!"

"Shut up, Karen! That's racist!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"Uh- You know what? Okay, fine. You don't think it's racist, I've got a TV show you need to see. And I won't take no for an answer!"
A fascinating look inside your imagination. Cheers.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 04:24 PM   #7
carlitos
"más divertido"

Maybe it was just an unorthodox proposal - he wanted to jump the broom with her, and needed some quality time together to try and make it work.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 04:27 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
A fascinating look inside your imagination. Cheers.
"That's not funny!" makes the same point for less effort.

And there's no need to thank me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Kidnaps and chill. Its a thing.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 05:21 PM   #10
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"That's not funny!" makes the same point for less effort.

And there's no need to thank me.
It doesn’t but cheers.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors