ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Major Major
Critical Thinker

An (Im)Modest Legal Proposal

In order to make it clear how the judicial system works.

All lawyers and expert witnesses will be required to wear makeup, midriff-baring tank tops, hot pants, fishnet stockings, and high heels in court. Women, too.

After the jury is seated, the lawyers will be required to state in court what their compensation for the trial is and will be.

Every expert witness must state as the first statement of testimony how much they were paid for this testimony.

There will be a random number generator operating during the trial. If the right number comes up, the lawyers and expert witnesses will be required to change sides and work for the side they had previously opposed.

Thereby juries will be able to fully comprehend the nature of the legal system.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You seem to be angry about something in particular. Did you just lose a case, and you believe it's because the other side bought testimony?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
dann
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You seem to be angry about something in particular. Did you just lose a case, and you believe it's because the other side bought testimony?

No. Just general principles.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:31 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
No. Just general principles.

What general principles are these?

Do they have anything more to recommend them than bbcode emojis?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What general principles are these?

Do they have anything more to recommend them than bbcode emojis?
This is my observation of the mercenary nature of the legal system, and its win-at-any cost attitude.

As for expert witnesses, I have in my reading observed far too many whose expertise is available to this highest bidder. And many who have based their authoritative testimony on misunderstood principles, leading to errors of justice.

To take one example that comes to mind, we have the incisive forensic analysis that definitely fingered Richard Jewell as the Centennial Park bomber. I'm surprised he wasn't brought to trial, convicted, and given a long sentence.
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:05 AM   #7
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
There will be a random number generator operating during the trial.
That's all you need. Only lawyers would argue that bankrupting clients leads to greater justice.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd June 2019, 02:59 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I have been an "expert" witness and provided "expert" analysis in reports to be used in court cases and yes the solicitors and QCs would often try in my opinion to lead the report/statements, or wish certain areas to be removed or played down or played up.

Sadly my experience of the courts as an expert witness (only civil) is that it is rather akin to discussing something here, being "technically" right is all that counts.

The last time I did such work was about 6 years ago and I know in England and Wales there have been some moves to better regulate how expert witnesses and their reports and statements are used or not used but not had personal experience to know if that has significantly changed how such evidence is handled.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors