ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2019, 12:52 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Target store cash registers down in America

Breaking news chaos and mayhem. On a Saturday!

Originally Posted by CNN
Target on Saturday acknowledged guests were "unable to make purchases" at its stores, as shoppers took to social media to complain that cash registers weren't working.

In a tweet from one of its official accounts, Target said that it's "aware of a systems issue in store and are working as quickly as possible to get this fixed."...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/15/busin...rnd/index.html
Old 15th June 2019, 01:26 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One store or all stores?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Might as well place a target on the front of their stores.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 01:34 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports are saying nationwide - others say the extent is not known. It is headline news. It can't be small and local.
Old 15th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nationwide. After 2 hours some are coming back online. Target passed out free drinks and snacks.

https://abc7chicago.com/shopping/tar...untry/5348227/

Another data breach maybe?
Old 15th June 2019, 01:51 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder in cases like these -- is there ever a Disaster Plan? I'd think that when the losses are tallied, they amount to much more than an occasional training session on how to use paper would cost, or other alternatives.
Old 15th June 2019, 02:00 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They could barter.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:05 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They sell pocket calculators and pencils and paper. Start opening those things and use them. Gift cards move to the back of the line. Concealed carry - please don't shoot!
Old 15th June 2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Every time I see the name of this store referenced it reminds me of how my grandmother, as a joke, used to pronounce it as if it were French.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 02:33 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Every time I see the name of this store referenced it reminds me of how my grandmother, as a joke, used to pronounce it as if it were French.
At least your grandmother can claim that the joke wasn't old before her time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 03:07 PM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Breaking news chaos and mayhem. On a Saturday!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/15/busin...rnd/index.html
Never mind their guests, what about their customers paying for stuff?
Old 15th June 2019, 03:33 PM   #12
Bob001
Philosopher

They sell pocket calculators and pencils and paper. Start opening those things and use them. Gift cards move to the back of the line. Concealed carry - please don't shoot!
They can't run credit or debit cards without computer links. And that's how the large percentage of retail purchases are made.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh good Lord help us all. Have mercy on our souls.
Old 15th June 2019, 04:13 PM   #14
This is The End

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
They can't run credit or debit cards without computer links. And that's how the large percentage of retail purchases are made.

You do realize that credit and debit cards were ran without "computer links" from the 1950s to the 1980s??
Old 15th June 2019, 04:14 PM   #15
This is The End

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
One store or all stores?

If only the OP had a link to an article with the answer to that very question...
Old 15th June 2019, 04:28 PM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
You do realize that credit and debit cards were ran without "computer links" from the 1950s to the 1980s??
My first retail job was in 1998. We still had a credit card thing with the carbon paper, "for emergencies", but nobody working there knew how to use it.
Old 15th June 2019, 04:37 PM   #17
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Anyone blaming the Iranians yet?
Old 15th June 2019, 04:41 PM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Anyone blaming the Iranians yet?
A beluga whale festooned with Russian flags was seen placing a limpet mine at Target HQ.
Old 15th June 2019, 04:49 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose for the duration they could have insisted on cash, but who carries $100 in cash? Even though its nickname is "The $100 Store" (you might just go in for a birthday card and some socks, but you're not getting out of there without totalling at least $100, planned or not), I count on my credit card (and points).

"Oooohh, I need this!!!!"
Old 15th June 2019, 05:12 PM   #20
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Bought to you by the Better Than Cash AllianceWP.
Old 15th June 2019, 05:17 PM   #21
rdwight
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I suppose for the duration they could have insisted on cash, but who carries $100 in cash? Even though its nickname is "The $100 Store" (you might just go in for a birthday card and some socks, but you're not getting out of there without totalling at least $100, planned or not), I count on my credit card (and points).

That is my life when I enter a Walmart. Every. Single. Time. Since I've already made the drive, might as well get x/y/z while I'm there.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

They wouuldn't be able to make change without the machine telling them how much anyhow.
Old 15th June 2019, 05:41 PM   #23
rdaneel
Illuminator

Tarjay? (My mother did that too.)
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:43 PM   #24
deadrose
Illuminator

Mais oui, mon petit chou!
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 05:59 PM   #25
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Now there are reports that it was worldwide. Terror at the checkout in New Guinea.
Old 15th June 2019, 06:48 PM   #26
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Nationwide. After 2 hours some are coming back online. Target passed out free drinks and snacks.

https://abc7chicago.com/shopping/tar...untry/5348227/

Another data breach maybe?
I'm guessing some very unfortunate software engineer did an update.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 07:16 PM   #27
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Now there are reports that it was worldwide. Terror at the checkout in New Guinea.
OMG! Worldwide??!! Does that mean BOTH stores?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 07:26 PM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I'm guessing some very unfortunate software engineer did an update.
I just read about the US doing cyberattacks on Russia. I wonder if the bug got loose. I recently saw a documentary about the Stuxnet virus which was a very similar circumstance.
Old 15th June 2019, 07:59 PM   #29
AnonyMoose
Muse

Apparently I'm a dinosaur...
Old 15th June 2019, 08:30 PM   #30
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Me too. I have $100+ in my wallet right now. Along with several credit and debit cards. I also play my credit card bills in full every month; I am completely debt free and they hate me.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will

Last edited by shemp; 15th June 2019 at 08:32 PM.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 08:32 PM   #31
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Oh good Lord help us all. Have mercy on our souls.
Oh, the humanity.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:11 PM   #32
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Oh, the humanity.
The Drama!! One poster actually tweeted out something similar to that. "Stuck between the deodorant and (whatever). Shoulda gone to Walmart. Pray for us!" (SIC)

A two-hour ordeal that's run its course everywhere but the ISF. All the put-out victims are home following up on whether Kylie Jenner is really buying yet another mansion and other important news.

@Aussies... Target in Australia is not Target Stores USA. Just another typical down-under thievery (well, they buy 'em, but I know you guys love your Ned Kelly iconography) of well-known western names.

That was the not-so-subtle meaning of my above post. There is no "worldwide" when it comes to Target stores. They have an outlet in Bangalore and one in Mumbai.... AND THAT IS ALL.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 09:16 PM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Me too. I have $100+ in my wallet right now. Along with several credit and debit cards.
Yes, but whose credit and debit cards are they?

Quote:
I also play my credit card bills in full every month; I am completely debt free and they hate me.
Oh, don't feel bad, I'm sure they hate you for many more reasons besides just that!
Old 15th June 2019, 09:28 PM   #34
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My first retail job was in 1998. We still had a credit card thing with the carbon paper, "for emergencies", but nobody working there knew how to use it.
They newest generation don't exactly do themselves any favours in not coming across as a tad slow.

People for years worked out how to put a piece of paper and a card in the slidey thing and slide it in about 5 seconds, without the need for a tutorial.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 09:36 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They newest generation don't exactly do themselves any favours in not coming across as a tad slow.

People for years worked out how to put a piece of paper and a card in the slidey thing and slide it in about 5 seconds, without the need for a tutorial.
Do they even have those things around in 2019, for emergencies? Or carbon paper? You can hardly blame people for not using technology they've a) never seen and b) don't possess.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:38 PM   #36
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The Drama!! One poster actually tweeted out something similar to that. "Stuck between the deodorant and (whatever). Shoulda gone to Walmart. Pray for us!" (SIC)

A two-hour ordeal that's run its course everywhere but the ISF. All the put-out victims are home following up on whether Kylie Jenner is really buying yet another mansion and other important news.

@Aussies... Target in Australia is not Target Stores USA. Just another typical down-under thievery (well, they buy 'em, but I know you guys love your Ned Kelly iconography) of well-known western names.

That was the not-so-subtle meaning of my above post. There is no "worldwide" when it comes to Target stores. They have an outlet in Bangalore and one in Mumbai.... AND THAT IS ALL.
Obviously sung to this tune:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 15th June 2019, 09:41 PM   #37
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Do they even have those things around in 2019, for emergencies? Or carbon paper? You can hardly blame people for not using technology they've a) never seen and b) don't possess.
Sorry was being mischievous

It was more a joke than serious

Don't think so

Last time I got petrol and the eftpos was down they let people grab it and wrote down everyones card details with signature

Think they can do it (like buying online) afterwards, as long as they have signed approval
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 09:52 PM   #38
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Tarjay? (My mother did that too.)
Here in the Great Northwest, the leading department store chain used to be the Bon Marche. So people would joke about shopping at K-Marche.
Old 15th June 2019, 10:14 PM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

But they also have internet on their phone

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/use-...ter-12907.html
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 10:26 PM   #40
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
There was a time when people wrote letters with quill pens on parchment. No national retailer today is equipped to hand-process millions of credit card transactions, and a debit card is basically like a check, which requires a whole different process.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events